Kasikornbank agrees to refund a customer who was robbed from his bank account

webfact

The phone company is responsible for this robbery and nobody else. They were able to get access to a new sim card without showing ID . Once a new sim card had been activated it was a lot easier to scam the bank, reset pw and get a new OPD code.

I am also a customer with Kasikorn and I think the security with OPD codes are working fine . But this shows that you can never be 100% sure. 

My advice would be to set a limit on maximum withdrawals  . 

4 hours ago, bark said:

Protests always work in Thailand. Just ask the the Red And Yellow Shirts.

Protest, Coup, change of Government.    Protest , Coup, change of Government.

It never worked for that Irish fella who was conned out of his property, I seem to recall him and his daughter tried a similar protest

1 minute ago, dazzz said:

Yes you are being dumb as you and a lot of others , seem unable to read . I will explain so you and the other dumbers can understand.
 If you want to buy something in thailand most thais do money transfer at the atm . For that you need the name and account number of the person you are going to transfer to . Understand so far?
 This guy gave his account number but for some reason also gave his id number . The thief then went to a telephone shop and got  phone SIM using the guys name and id number . Dont know if he had a copy card or just got a sim with the id number . He then went to the bank online and got a pin number which they will only send to your phone . He then used the pin number to withdraw/ transfer ? money

How the bank has no password or anything beggars belief . The bank is at fault here for sending a pin to a phone number not registered with that account . If he withdrew cash then he must have had a copy of the guys id card  (easy if you have the id number) or if he transferred the money he must have had a bank account to send it to.

I have changed my atm card number with the natwest bank in uk but they will not send it by email or to my phone  and takes about 5 passwords  and dob etc Will only mail it to my uk address then my daughter texts it to me .
 The bak security in thailand is terrible . When i went to register my atm card  with bankok bank for internet services  over they phone i was asked by an auto service to type in my atm pin number . No ideas who can see that . In uk you are told the bank or nobody will ever ask you for your pin no.
 The bank was at fault and should pay up

online banking with kasikorn  requires a username and password to access the account. how did the thief get these details?

1 hour ago, brianj1964 said:

It never worked for that Irish fella who was conned out of his property, I seem to recall him and his daughter tried a similar protest

He is Irish not Thai.  And he was wearing a Green Shirt.  Not Red or Yellow.

Just now, Don Mega said:

online banking with kasikorn  requires a username and password to access the account. how did the thief get these details?

Just now, Don Mega said:

Yes it does not mention how he withdrew the cash . It does not need anything to transfer the money to another account just a pin number

5 minutes ago, dazzz said:

Yes you are being dumb as you and a lot of others , seem unable to read . I will explain so you and the other dumbers can understand.
 If you want to buy something in thailand most thais do money transfer at the atm . For that you need the name and account number of the person you are going to transfer to . Understand so far?
 This guy gave his account number but for some reason also gave his id number . The thief then went to a telephone shop and got  phone SIM using the guys name and id number . Dont know if he had a copy card or just got a sim with the id number . He then went to the bank online and got a pin number which they will only send to your phone . He then used the pin number to withdraw/ transfer ? money

How the bank has no password or anything beggars belief . The bank is at fault here for sending a pin to a phone number not registered with that account . If he withdrew cash then he must have had a copy of the guys id card  (easy if you have the id number) or if he transferred the money he must have had a bank account to send it to.

I have changed my atm card number with the natwest bank in uk but they will not send it by email or to my phone  and takes about 5 passwords  and dob etc Will only mail it to my uk address then my daughter texts it to me .
 The bak security in thailand is terrible . When i went to register my atm card  with bankok bank for internet services  over they phone i was asked by an auto service to type in my atm pin number . No ideas who can see that . In uk you are told the bank or nobody will ever ask you for your pin no.
 The bank was at fault and should pay up

No IMHO the phone company was the one who was wrong. The bank did nothing wrong (should have had better security) But all that was done can be done by regular account holders too with their phone. The difference here was that the swindler got a phone sim and took control of the account.

I have transferred money from my acount to my little boys account .Crazy
 I just got to the atm click tansfer . put my account number in , put my boys account number in . put the amount and just transfer without a card

Just now, robblok said:

No IMHO the phone company was the one who was wrong. The bank did nothing wrong (should have had better security) But all that was done can be done by regular account holders too with their phone. The difference here was that the swindler got a phone sim and took control of the account.

how did the swindler have the username and password for the account ?

8 minutes ago, dazzz said:

Yes it does not mention how he withdrew the cash . It does not need anything to transfer the money to another account just a pin number

bullshit. you need more than a OTP to transfer money.

how was access to the account gained if not with a username and password ?

Edited by Don Mega

Yo

11 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

bullshit. you need more than a OTP to transfer money.

<removed>
 I go to the atm once a month . I click tranfer to an account in my own bank . Enter my atm pin , put the account number of my boy  put the amount and transfer . Done it a dozne times

9 minutes ago, dazzz said:

I go to the atm once a month . I click tranfer to an account in my own bank . Enter my atm pin , put the account number of my boy  put the amount and transfer . Done it a dozne times

and you do that without inserting your atm card ?

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I believe the fraudster used a fake ID card to  request a new SIM card with original number and then went to the bank saying they had forgotten their password   the bank reset account password and sent details to the " cloned" phone

fraudster then  transferred money.... but why dont the bank know where it went and just reclaim it ???

Next time you go to an atm , mine is bangkok bank , look at the keys and click other , Then money transfers then transfer to this bank or another bank then insert atm card or if no card your account number . Lots of thais as my wifes daughter have a bank account but no atm card but she still transfers money from the atm

2 minutes ago, johng said:

I believe the fraudster used a fake ID card to  request a new SIM card with original number and then went to the bank saying they had forgotten their password   the bank reset account password and sent details to the " cloned" phone

fraudster then  transferred money.... but why dont the bank know where it went and just reclaim it ???

thats a lot more believable than just punching a pin number into an atm and transferring the money.

8 minutes ago, dazzz said:

Yes without my atm card . But  knowing my pin number .

I dont believe that for one second.

I have a kasikorn account. next time I use the atm and without inserting my atm card I'll punch in my pin number and see what happens.

Edited by Don Mega

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes you are right . I dont believe he could have withdrawn cash and could not have taken nearly a million baht from an atm so as i said earlier they probably have traced the money and got it back , which is why they are giving him the money back , unless the account was false and the money quickly withdrawn , which would suggest a planned op

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I have a kasikorn account. next time I use the atm and without inserting my atm card I'll punch in my pin number and see what happens.

Sorry you have to read and digest . You do not just punch your pin number in.
 You go to the atm . press enter without your card . You will get a list of options , one of them transfers . It will then ask you to insert your atm or if you do not have an atm to put your account number and the number you wish to transfer to and the amount

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Maybe  he means  he has to know the PIN number of his ATM card ( without having to insert it )

then input his account number and  then transfer

to the other account...I have used the ATM method before but not without a card.

25 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

how did the swindler have the username and password for the account ?

The username (no Idea)

But the password he got by a one time reset by phone. Again something that is available to all Kasikorn users (i feel that should change and that it could only be picked up at a bank or send by mail)

But that indeed leaves the username. I do think that the person who lost the money gave out too much details to the swindler.

1 minute ago, dazzz said:

Sorry you have to read and digest . You do not just punch your pin number in.
 You go to the atm . press enter without your card . You will get a list of options , one of them transfers . It will then ask you to insert your atm or if you do not have an atm to put your account number and the number you wish to transfer to and the amount

ok fair enough butand how did the thief get the pin number, Did Kasikorn give it to him ?

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe  he means  he has to know the PIN number of his ATM card ( without having to insert it )

then input his account number and  then transfer

to the other account...I have used the ATM method before but not without a card.

Yes thats right . I first found this when i went to the city to transfer some money to my boys account but forgot my atm card  but had the  passbooks ( mine and my boys )and my pin number in my head . I transferred money without my atm card same as my wifes son who has a bank account but no atm but transfers money ti his ex wife

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

The username (no Idea)

But the password he got by a one time reset by phone. Again something that is available to all Kasikorn users (i feel that should change and that it could only be picked up at a bank or send by mail)

But that indeed leaves the username. I do think that the person who lost the money gave out too much details to the swindler.

really I can get a new password to my account over the phone with kasikorn.

how is that done, I'll give it a try.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

ok fair enough butand how did the thief get the pin number, Did Kasikorn give it to him ?

Wow yes he got the guys id card number used it to register  a phone and then used the phone to get a pin sent to him from the bank using the phone the guys name and his id card number which you need to open a bank account  but without password

Just now, dazzz said:

Wow yes he got the guys id card number used it to register  a phone and then used the phone to get a pin sent to him from the bank using the phone the guys name and his id card number which you need to open a bank account  but without password

Sorry, I do not believe kasikorn will give out a new atm pin number over the phone.

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

really I can get a new password to my account over the phone with kasikorn.

how is that done, I'll give it a try.

They say it can be done.. I read about it in an other article. I would not know how it is done I got a kasikorn bank too and find it a bit scary that they would give out a password to your phone. The whole idea of 2 layer security (first logging into the site with a password and then using the phone to make transactions) is to keep them separate.  Now by giving out passwords OTP by phone its negates that.

It still leaves the question how did he get the username.