Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

I am neither an apologist nor a knocker, I love the country and the Thai people I know.

On saying that, I feel really uncomfortable here now, unwelcome and unwanted by the 

current government as it gets more and more restrictive, oppressive and appears to bring in new legislation and requirements, 

almost on a daily basis, that makes life here untenable for me.

I will sell up and leave at the end of September.

Is anyone else feeling this kind of pressure?

My intention is to return in 5 years or so as I feel  a lot will have happened by then to make

Thailand welcoming again.

That is my hope anyhow, otherwise it might just have to be Vietnam.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've lived/worked here for nearly 11 years and have a family here.  There are certainly pros/cons of living here, but I haven't really experienced any changes that have made my life more restricted or oppressive, even though I loathe the politics here.  Perhaps the OP could be more specific about the "pressure" he is feeling?

I can fully understand the wanting to get back here, really!

The so called pressures are nothing specific, just a build up of straws that have broken the camels back.

Not sure which straw was the final weight!

I have lived in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Issan and found them all to be acceptable and enjoyable.

I just feel quality of life here has deteriorated substantially in the last 10/12 years.

Bets, that nothing negative has happened to you as a result of the new government.  I could be wrong and you are not just another whinging pom.  I'm interested really since nothing negative has happened to me outside of reading Thai Visa in the past two years.  Since it takes many straws to break a camels back it should be easy for you to list ten things the new government has done to you on a daily basis that made life untenable for you.

I have to ask you did the general do something specific to you that broke the final straw. Countries change people change, it is more than likely more about you changing as apposed to Thailand changing. Let us know when you come back.

IMO the pressure is inside your head and make no mistake TV "s never ending Thai bashers will eventually wear you down, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I absolutely positive about that.

Apart from possible visa issues how are you affected EXACTLY by what's happening in Thailand? And in what way do you feel unwelcomed?

I notice zero difference in my life style from when I first got here 12 years ago except I now have a retirement visa

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I also feel zero difference same hoops to jump through for a visa. 

I think a lot could be in your head and as your a Brit the Brexit and resulting exchange rate would probably have affected you worse then anything else.

Just seems your blaming the goverment but can't identify what they did.. i find that strange. 

I am blaming no-one and exchange rates etc do not affect my ability to live here.

There has been, in my opinion, a shift in the atmosphere between foreigners and Thai people.

Maybe its just evolution but whatever it is, for me, its tangible.

Some of it is indeed my own perceptions and as a psychologist ( proper one) I can recognise these things!

The TV miseries do not bring me down at all, I find them rather sad to be honest and have no intention of joining that gang!

I too am on a retirement extension of stay and the hoops are not so bad, annoying sometimes but not a deal breaker!

I am most certainly not a whinging pom!!  Having lived in Aussie land for a few years, I too found them a pain in the butt!

after 3decades and being married to the same one for over 26yrs.i can just about put up with most that happens here.

my only gripe is with immigration,never had an overstay,all my stamps in order,BUT as my health seems to have taken an about turn i asked immigration could i do my 90days by post? my extension i can get a driver, their reply ends in OFF.

My advise will be if you have a property here, don't just sell yet, see how you go in your

new place and than decide whether you want to quit Thailand all together.....

as what looks green from here, once you're there, it's not what it was in the picture....

1 minute ago, meatboy said:

after 3decades and being married to the same one for over 26yrs.i can just about put up with most that happens here.

my only gripe is with immigration,never had an overstay,all my stamps in order,BUT as my health seems to have taken an about turn i asked immigration could i do my 90days by post? my extension i can get a driver, their reply ends in OFF.

That kind of event I feel is becoming more common as it seems xenophobia and racism is not only becoming more prevalant but encouraged by those in power as westerners question their policies/statements/ catch them out in lies etc.

Publishing those things on social media is a loss of face, unacceptable!

My sympathies.

11 minutes ago, surinteacher2016 said:

Be careful about your decision to run back the nanny state where you were born. I recommend putting your stuff in storage here  and going back home for 3 months to see if you can adjust. You might change your mind and want to stay here.

Nanny state is a temporary respite only, I still have property in mainland Europe but prefer SE Asia for living.

I will relax and decide as the time comes although I cannot see me staying so long in England!

17 minutes ago, DennisF said:

I am blaming no-one and exchange rates etc do not affect my ability to live here.

There has been, in my opinion, a shift in the atmosphere between foreigners and Thai people.

Maybe its just evolution but whatever it is, for me, its tangible.

Some of it is indeed my own perceptions and as a psychologist ( proper one) I can recognise these things!

The TV miseries do not bring me down at all, I find them rather sad to be honest and have no intention of joining that gang!

I too am on a retirement extension of stay and the hoops are not so bad, annoying sometimes but not a deal breaker!

I am most certainly not a whinging pom!!  Having lived in Aussie land for a few years, I too found them a pain in the butt!

So stated in terms a normal person can understand...... Nothing specifically wrong - nothing happened to you - you are just whinging.  An example.  A representative of the new government has done something negative and tangible to you. Thinking something intangible is tangible is whinging.  

What has the current government done to effect the attitude of Thai people toward you?  Remember something tangible.  Tangible = physical.  Intangible = feelings, abstract.

I'm a psychologist too.  Whenever I get depressed I stop reading Thai Visa for a couple of days and I'm fine.  Maybe you should  try it.

Edited by Scotwight

There is also the action reaction coming into play. As a farang starts to enter a mild depression the way he sees the world starts to change and specifically how he sees Thais in this instance.

This may lead to a mistrust or suspicion and that's going to project and the reaction from Thais may start to become negative towards you.

Remember when we all first got here and we're walking around with a silly grin marveling at how lovely the Thais were, always smiling at us?
Action, reaction.

I feel how you feel. My plans are to turn my back on Thai for 1 year minimum as of next month. Try a few highly recommended cities (by long term expats) in Philippines such as Davao & Cebu. Developed, cosmopolitan, and some very nice ladies. The men are no different than Thai men but at least they speak English although I'm a ladies man. Time will tell....

I also wish to hire a team of Filipinos so may as well go to the source rather than hiring the limited Thai based Filipinos.

4 minutes ago, jeca22 said:

I feel how you feel. My plans are to turn my back on Thai for 1 year minimum as of next month. Try a few highly recommended cities (by long term expats) in Philippines such as Davao & Cebu. Developed, cosmopolitan, and some very nice ladies. The men are no different than Thai men but at least they speak English although I'm a ladies man. Time will tell....

I also wish to hire a team of Filipinos so may as well go to the source rather than hiring the limited Thai based Filipinos.

I take it you don't know a lot about the Philippines.  Three Filipinos from my company have to move back because of family reasons and they are close to suicide.  (not kidding)

Not knowing your habits/lack of - or routine I can say that the areas you've lived in would be 4 of the least desireable areas for me.....

As another entrenched long timer I also can say I've not found the current atmosphere oppressively unwelcoming....

In fact, the Thais I have talked to about it feel better, more optimistic about the country now than before......Leave it at that without political posturing entering the thread....

Flip side --- It's at about 100% of the "westerners", europeans" that I know that are appalled by what they experience & see when they visit their homelands.....Many stating they are NEVER going back - they will live & die here.....

Every place in the world has changed during the time you have been here - most of it not for the better but decidedly worse than the sands of time have handed to Thailand over the same period....

I'm in the camp that is going to suggest you don't burn down your past here......Spend some time in your new possible "real" world (TAKING A REAL HARD APPRAISAL)  then decide which side of the pond to live....It's a different world out there - probably can't even walk the same streets as you did before - especially in the UK.....

You might find out after a short while that you made a grave mistake in returning.....

I'm probably not the only one but I get the distinct impression it's been a recent series of events that have pushed you over......

And you just might find the UK doing the same - only at warp speed with a new increased definition of pressure for you to try and absorb to re-enter......Mainstream then - & now are diametrically opposed....

Good luck.....

Edited by pgrahmm

26 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

So stated in terms a normal person can understand...... Nothing specifically wrong - nothing happened to you - you are just whinging.  An example.  A representative of the new government has done something negative and tangible to you. Thinking something intangible is tangible is whinging.  

What has the current government done to effect the attitude of Thai people toward you?  Remember something tangible.  Tangible = physical.  Intangible = feelings, abstract.

I'm a psychologist too.  Whenever I get depressed I stop reading Thai Visa for a couple of days and I'm fine.  Maybe you should  try it.

For a psychologist you seem to be somewhat hung up on the government.

Tangibles exist that are nobodys business but mine and they, on their own, were not the deal breakeer

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

IMO the pressure is inside your head and make no mistake TV "s never ending Thai bashers will eventually wear you down, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I absolutely positive about that.

Apart from possible visa issues how are you affected EXACTLY by what's happening in Thailand? And in what way do you feel unwelcomed?

I notice zero difference in my life style from when I first got here 12 years ago except I now have a retirement visa

I concur on reading TV or any other forum for that matter. While sections are value add for some on random occasions, the rest is rather disturbing. I am not a high post count person and do not visit the site everyday but I could see that if you opened this up, read the news, then general topics, then the Farang Pub every single day you would simply implode unless your "Crap" filter was on high mode.

That aside I have been here for 10+ years  both long stay and some back and forth and I do not see or feel any of the pressure the OP has identified to leave. I mean its OK he wants to move on but I always like to hear people's views on it. I may think its BS but maybe not.

Either way Best of Luck. 

I'm in the same boat kind of. I've been here 11 years and although i have had a great time, an amazing family and memories of a lifetime. It's time to move on. There's an "event" and the domino effect of that that will happen soon that could make it harder to live here. Then again it may not be as dramatic as many think.

For me it's about my daughter and wife. I want to give them a better way of life here, esp my 8 year old. The schools here are terrible, despite what people try and tell you.

I was going to take them back to Scotland to live which is a way better way of life than Thailand. My wife and kid have been back and loved it and wanted to move there. Then an amazing opportunity popped up out of nowhere where i have now secured a job with full family relocation to Hong Kong.

I don;t need to go too deep with HK, but it offers a great education for the kid, it's safe, the expat community are all professionals with good jobs and it offers a great mix of east and west.

We will be keeping our house in Thailand and i'd be a fool to say we will never live here again. But that will be once my kid finishes her education.

Before i get called a hater etc i want to highlight again i love the country and all it's given me, at 42 years old, and the opportunity i now have, the timing is perfect.

4 minutes ago, DennisF said:

For a psychologist you seem to be somewhat hung up on the government.

Tangibles exist that are nobodys business but mine and they, on their own, were not the deal breakeer

I"m guessing your reasons for leaving are entirely personal, i.e., nothing to do with Thailand...except maybe there were some Thai folks involved.  You can't really blame Thailand for that.  I've been here 10+ years and have not noticed any radical change in the attitudes of the Thais.  Perhaps you can explain why you "had to end a beautiful relationship...?" 

Some people would justify living in, and like living in N Korea if it had prostitutes! This country has become a repressive moralistic one with the fun element and optimism gone replaced by fear and propaganda. I am off next year as well. Actually it's Thailand that is the nanny state with it's ludicrous licencing hours, meant to curb under age buying, but with the buying hours coinciding with lunch hour and after School :whistling: Then you have the laughable censoring of elements on tv and film where knifes, guns, cigarettes, drinks  and even Rubens like paintings have to be masked out to protect the vulnerable. Sometimes so much stuff is pix-elated out on the screen it's hard to tell whats going on. All this in the sex capital of Asia, sheer hypocrisy and stupidity. People cannot voice their opinions for fear of arrest with even an opinion about a certain dog leading to a virtual death sentence in prison. At least we have the luxury of being able to get on a plane and away from this madness. Land of smiles it may have been, but that was a long time ago and even the love it or leave brigade know that.

Edited by thai3

5 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Not knowing your habits/lack of - or routine I can say that the areas you've lived in would be 4 of the least desireable areas for me.....

As another entrenched long timer I also can say I've not found the current atmosphere oppressively unwelcoming....

In fact, the Thais I have talked to about it feel better, more optimistic about the country now than before......Leave it at that without political posturing entering the thread....

Flip side --- It's at about 100% of the "westerners", europeans" that I know that are appalled by what they experience & see when they visit their homelands.....Many stating they are NEVER going back - they will live & die here.....

Every place in the world has changed during thr time you have been here - most of it not for the better but decidedly worse than the sands of time have handed to Thailand over the same period....

I'm in the camp that is going to suggest you don't burn down your past here......Spend some time in your new possible "real" world (TAKING A REAL HARD APPRAISAL)  then decide which side of the pond to live....It's a different world out there - probably can't even walk the same streets as you did before - especially in the UK.....

You might find out after a short while that you made a grave mistake in returning.....

I'm probably not the only one but I get the distinct impression it's been a recent series of events that have pushed you over......

And you just might find the UK doing the same - only a warp speed with a new increased definition of pressure for you to try and absorb to re-enter......Mainstream then - & now are diametrically opposed....

Good post and I would agree that Pattaya was a mistake!

I am leaving 

26 minutes ago, jeca22 said:

The men & the women in the PI are a LOT more hot blooded.....If you know both places there are few similarities outside of some good looking women available.....And how the males react + see you - they are not benign like here.....Also not a lot of areas where you can freely & safely walk around.....

I've had a good amount of people from the PI visit me here....They are amazed at the positive lifestyle differences here & don't want to go back....

Edited by pgrahmm