latest trip Khon Kaen to samui

Hi ,just thought i would post about the road trip we just returned from 2 days ago.Road conditions south of Bangkok to Surat in either direction are horrible.

There is loads of road work all the way south of hua hin,road splits from one side so you share with the other two lanes on the opposite side ,so it becomes one 

lane either way .

this makes the drive so slow and therefore more dangerous as car keep undertaking on the breakdown lane and of course no policing of this or any other rules .

saw lots of accidents ,cars and trunks ,one guy in front of me fell asleep and drove off the road and hit a few trees.

As always have never seen a cop driving on roads and pull cars over for illegal stuff.

Only time had cops was road blocks a few times and i dont know if this a new thing or what but first time for me ,

Cops at the toll booths on Bangkok toll road ,got me many more for slight rule violations ,mine was i changed lanes as i was heading into the ezypay lane and needed the cash lane ,did so with indicator on and safely .

They take your licence and demand 1000bt or you have to come back to bangkok in 7 days and pay fine .no receipt .i guess it goes straight to the Mia Noi fund.

take care out there ,its deadly.

Thank you for the report but other people said that the road is ok, so can you detail more what you have seen ?

Anyway i think that driving from 4am to 8am is always better than day time (if you are not sleepy at night).

And if you pay cash without receipt why having to go back to bkk after 7 days ?

"They take your licence and demand 1000bt or you have to come back to bangkok in 7 days and pay fine .no receipt"

This simply not true. 

If you don't pay the penalty to the police they can (probably will) retain your licence until you pay the fine at a police station of your choice.  Your licence will be sent to that police station, you do not have to return to Bangkok to retrieve it.

If you are paying the official fine you will get a receipt because they give out a ticket!  If you are trying to negotiate a direct payment to the officer to avoid the fine then obviously you won't get a receipt because you are bribing him and that is your problem.   If you want a receipt, don't be corrupt, easy.

Edited by gdgbb

I wish that they would fine everybody who drives in the easy pass lanes and then cuts out to the booths because they don't have an easy pass.

There is plenty of warming as to which are the easy pass lanes ...yet drivers want to avoid the queues by driving down until the last minute and then cutting in ... resulting in those having easy passes having to queue and wait for the lane access to clear. rant over...

15 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I wish that they would fine everybody who drives in the easy pass lanes and then cuts out to the booths because they don't have an easy pass.

There is plenty of warming as to which are the easy pass lanes ...yet drivers want to avoid the queues by driving down until the last minute and then cutting in ... resulting in those having easy passes having to queue and wait for the lane access to clear. rant over...

yer was right at the start where the right lane splits to the four or so easy pass lanes ,

hold up anyone and did not stop just changed lanes ,the four ezypass lanes where also empty at this time ,it was really quiet all round really ,guess thats why they got me .

rant also over 

19 hours ago, innocenthai said:

Thank you for the report but other people said that the road is ok, so can you detail more what you have seen ?

Anyway i think that driving from 4am to 8am is always better than day time (if you are not sleepy at night).

And if you pay cash without receipt why having to go back to bkk after 7 days ?

yer well ,I did drive the way down around 4am through bkk, but like i said ,from south of Hua Hin,for sure around  chumpon to Surat,the road is blocked and being re surfaced every few ks in each direction.

So if u are driving south ,sometimes diverted to the north bound lanes and that becomes one lane in either direction ,and sometimes the south bound lanes become a single lane and u share with north bound traffic .

from the gps time estimates it added at least 2 hrs ,north bound in the mid day

and to the" Simply not true" dude,try telling that to cop ,i said, send me the fine and will pay at Khon Kaen he said could  only pay there,sat there and argued for five minutes.It was either pay on the spot ,or come back to bangkok,or wait two hours + while he went and paid it .I know it was all bullshit ,i told him many times.but <deleted> it pay and go ,have not been bribed/fined in last few years,so no real skin.

On 8/24/2016 at 1:43 PM, gdgbb said:

"They take your licence and demand 1000bt or you have to come back to bangkok in 7 days and pay fine .no receipt"

This simply not true. 

If you don't pay the penalty to the police they can (probably will) retain your licence until you pay the fine at a police station of your choice.  Your licence will be sent to that police station, you do not have to return to Bangkok to retrieve it.

If you are paying the official fine you will get a receipt because they give out a ticket!  If you are trying to negotiate a direct payment to the officer to avoid the fine then obviously you won't get a receipt because you are bribing him and that is your problem.   If you want a receipt, don't be corrupt, easy.

I like being corrupted...in more ways than one ☺