One for those that used to live in Pattaya and prefer C M

thaibeachlovers

Everywhere is different. Comparing two places rarely achieves very much other than a bag load of whining and bitterness.

Why do I like Chiang Mai? It's a small-ish place but big enough that there's as much variety in your life as you want there to be. The public transport is generally staffed by friendly people who aren't too hellbent on robbing you blind. It's good value for money; not the cheapest place on earth but not the most expensive by a long shot.

There's a ton of expat friendly facilities and in particular a bunch of 2nd hand bookshops that are really top notch. The locals are decent, kind and welcoming (despite the constant slurs aimed at them on this forum and in other similar forums). It has all the facilities I need - decent supermarkets, cinemas, museums, entertainment options, etc. heck it even has a death metal festival. 

What don't I like? There's a minimal expat scene except for digital nomads and retirees. Nothing against those groups but I don't fit into them very well either. The closing at midnight thing is occasionally annoying but not the end of the world. Nobody has yet sold me a winning lottery ticket. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been in CM for 2 years - we will be moving next year.  I have found that CM has many positives and many negatives. One thing that stands out is the aggressiveness of those who have committed to staying, when they respond to criticism of CM. 

For the OP to only ask for positives about CM is ridiculous - surely he/she wants both points of view before moving here?  If not, then suggest you move here for 3 months and make up your own mind before fully committing.  From what I have seen, most of the comments made so far are right - both positive and negative - it is all about balance - no place 100% good.

We are leaving CM because:

1. Smoke season (Jan to April) is worse each year, and locals suggest it is going to continue to get worse (more people/farms/corn);

2. CM is a long way from BKK - overseas trips are a huge organisational problem (not just luggage allowance);

Yes - CM is full of grumpy old men (and some women) and laptop-warriors and retired Yanks - but who cares.

We like CM because;

1.  Easy to get around and has everything you ever need - and everything is within a 30-40 mins drive;

2.  Thais are more friendly here, and the culture is more relaxed and open, than in Pattaya/Chonburi (tourist parts);

3 hours ago, balo said:

I will be following this thread closely as I am in the same situation as the OP.   I will live for 1 year in CM to look at some business opportunities. My experience with CM is that there are plenty of young professionals or what we call digital nomads living there , not only retired people. Most of them are quite happy and love what the city has to offer.

If you check out some of the facebook groups you will find lots of info and make friends too.

As a Scandinavian I was looking for some Nordic restaurants and I found it during my last visit, so you can get genuine western food run by foreign owners, just like in Pattaya which is a plus if you do not eat a lot of Thai food.  Now I want to find out if there is a European bakery up there , because I need to eat my daily slice of fresh bread (not big c ) . 

I will miss some of the expat community in Pattaya but not much. I will not miss the dirty beaches , that's for sure. 

You may already be aware but the Top North Guest House, Soi 2, Moon Muang has a restaurant attached which is run by a Dane and has some Scandinavian dishes. Not exactly fine dining but a simple inexpensive  place and pleasant to sit by the Pool.

5 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

There is nothing racist about the word farang.

It has been in the Thai lexicon since the early 16th century as a neutral term.

I challenge you to find a credible historical source that uses the word in a derogatory sense.

There are many insulting terms that include the word, but when used alone it is not an insult.

Learn the etymology and disabuse yourself of your mistaken notions.

My wife's son calls me Papa Farang...does not bother me one bit

1 hour ago, balo said:

Not the type I was thinking of , but I will check them out.

How much do you pay for the bread there? Up to 100 baht is normal . 

The big question is if they use imported flour or the locally produced flour , there's a big difference. 

55bht ...... have no idea what flour they use.

43 minutes ago, Bob9 said:

2. CM is a long way from BKK - overseas trips are a huge organisational problem (not just luggage allowance);

Plenty of direct flights from CNX, I went from CNX to Kuala Lumpar (40gbp Air Asia), then KUL to Manila (50gbp Cebu Pacific) a week or so back. The return KUL to CNX was only 20gbp (Air Asia)

Most journeys I take have two flights.

19 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

I don't know Pattya, so can't make any comment.  I like CM very much and you can make friends of all sorts there.  Beware of The Expat's Club.  Nancy will probably be too busy selling her Christmas dinner to the other expats to bother about someone who would like to become a member.  You will sit with your coffee all alone, surrounded by the members, not one of whom will show any signs of being friendly.  The Aus lady at the reception was pleasant, but once you had passed out of her orbit............

I can't really agree. Although I don't attend the monthly meetings that often, I can say from experience, and not only mine, that most attendees are very friendly and if one wishes one can make contacts very easily.

Balo.

Try the UN pub, they have German style bread there and cheap enough.  What makes you think that French bread is necessarily all white?

Rogeroc.

The Top North is NOT run by the Dane, it is run by his Thai wife, Toy.  She lived in Denmark foryears, but finally couldn't stand the cold, so they came back. You are quite right, it is a very pleasant place to eat.  I often go there.

Abrahamzvi

There is a post from Nancy in reply to mine.  You will see that it is quite different now.  Zoom up and read it.

Nancy

I'm pleased that you answered me.  It was the Christmas before last that I had such a miserable experience.  It was the American friend who committed suicide that found out everything for me and sent me to you.  If it is as you say, then I will be along to willingly join the gang later in the year.

For the OP

If Nancy is right, look up her Expat's Club.  They have a lot of activities and interests.  Also, at these meetings there must be lots of chats, gossips and whatever.  You mentioned that about Pattaya

I don't understand the whining about difficulty with international travel from CM.  I think it's brilliant and much better than Pattaya, which doesn't even have an airport, right?  CNX is close to town and it's possible to totally avoid Swampy and get off into the rest of the world.  Korean Air to North America, in particular, is fantastic.  

The only grumpy old men I meet are here on ThaiVisa.com  My expat club friends are pretty upbeat and happy. 

I love having some many woman my age around, I was going to say "western women", but my circle actually includes women from Hong Kong, Singapore, Philippines,Taiwan, Japan  and Thai ladies who have lived overseas.   Not just "western women".  I guess the common denominator is educated, interesting mature women.  But, that may not be of interest to the OP.    But, something tells me there aren't ladies like this in Pattaya.

2 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Plenty of direct flights from CNX, I went from CNX to Kuala Lumpar (40gbp Air Asia), then KUL to Manila (50gbp Cebu Pacific) a week or so back. The return KUL to CNX was only 20gbp (Air Asia)

Most journeys I take have two flights.

Air Asia is not an airline. it's a flying disease  :sick:

16 hours ago, NancyL said:

I don't understand the whining about difficulty with international travel from CM.  I think it's brilliant and much better than Pattaya, which doesn't even have an airport, right?

Pattaya has U-Tapao airport which is a 45 minute drive southeast from downtown Pattaya. Air Asia has non-stop flights from UTP to CNX, UTH and HDY in Thailand and also some flights now to China. :( Air Asia plans to make this a hub and will add more flights when the new terminal is finished. Flying from UTP is much more convenient than going to Don Mueang or even Swampy.

Edited by Paul3456
corrected airport code

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thank you for your positive reply.

Just to be pedantic concerning the "ruined" walls though, they were "restored" not that long ago if you look at the date on the bricks, so that is a recent build and not the original falling down wall. :)

Yes, that's very true, and applies especially to the Tha Pae Gate.

On the other hand, all of the atoms in both the original bricks and the new bricks, come from exploding stars many billions of years ago, and thousands of light-years away, so they're all really old !

Hence the old hippy song  ...  "we are stardust, we are golden". :rolleyes:

I do wish 'they' would do more to preserve old Chiang Mai, it could be a real tourist-attraction for centuries to come, and would recommend the walls of the 'Mad Dog' for some interesting photos of 'the Good Old Days' !

Hope you enjoy life, whichever way your decision goes, on where to live. :wai2:

U Tapao to Pattaya centre is not much of a problem but going back the other way can be expensive and a pain in the backside, especially if you are flying back to CM as the main flight s a ridiculous hour in the morning. Overall I think Swampy is easier and more convenient on the Pattaya outward leg.

CM has a lot going for it and would doubtless be a great choice IF you like those things.  Some of the things I’ve told other people, knowing what they DO like.  Don't plan to get into a debate about it is YMMV and it's what's important to individuals that make these things issues or not:

• Cost of living is quite cheap, esp eating out.
  • Lots of restaurant variety here, but you say you’re not into restaurants.  Few good Indian, many Italian, couple of good Mexican.
  • Big cafe culture with loads to chose from.
  • Lots of nice Thai style music bars (Good View, Infinity, Maldives, Oxide).
  • Fairly chic centre of town around Nimman.  Very touristy at times for obvious reasons.
  • Lots of sites to see, esp if your’e into temples, gardens and the historic part of town.  Lots nearby too.
  • Great for cycling and running.
  • Cheap accommodation rental.
  • Very cheap for vegetables etc. at the markets.
  • Cold season is brilliant (Oct - Jan) but it’s high season too.
  • Scenery OK.
  • Good availability of western produce if you need it.
  • Some great food stands and trucks.
  • Less of the a55hole tourist types found in Phuket and Pattaya.
  • Less in your face red light district.

There are however some negatives for me, compared to the likes of BKK / Phuket and I would guess Pattaya

• Nightlife variety - not much.  Going out to eat is great.  But sometimes I want to do something after and not ALWAYS a Thai style place.  OK there’s a couple of pubs in town but there’s still not enough variety for me.
  • Not many places to go that I’d describe as classy / dressy outside of a few restaurants.
  • Nowhere of note to listen to western music (clubs etc) aside from overly loud bands playing the same old rock songs night in night out.
  • Overall a BIT too quiet IMO if you like a varied nightlife.
  • Hot season is a real pain with the heat and smog, the former being the worst - and it’s more than 2 months for sure!!  More like 4. 40-43 regularly this year.
  • Speaking Thai likely to be more of a benefit here if that’s a problem.
  • If you don’t live in town it can be a long way to get to town to hang out if that’s your thing.  Car would be useful for sure.  Taxis and Songtaews are not expensive but not cheap either.  Public transport around town OK, not outside. Out of town you will need some form of transport to do ANYTHING.  Not so in BKK for instance.
  • Seafood - pricey and often not so fresh.
  • Traffic lights.  I seem to spend forever sat at red lights!  There’s no sequencing for busy periods or traffic flow.  Lots of red light runners as a result.
  • No beaches - depends if that’s important.  The scenery is OK here but it’s hardly that awe inspiring.  More hilly tropical rain forest than mountains and rivers some describe it as.
  • Only one or two good gyms around.
  • Not the best placed strategically for getting around. Flights to the south can get quite pricey.  OK for China and HK
  • Dealing with immigration can be more of a pain here at times
  • Likely to be impacted more by drought conditions than the South
  • I've found power cuts to be more of a pain too but that may just be where we are and it has improved of late.
Edited by SooKee

I have a friend who made the move to CM from Pattaya. He loves it. He is now married to a Thai lady and has started a family. He loves to golf. I visited and couldn't wait to get back home to my sleepy Issan village. I couldn't stand the congestion and horrible traffic. Pattaya congestion and traffic is also horrible. I wouldn't live in either place although I still have a condo in Jomtien where I occasionally stay when I want to visit old friends and want a change of scenery. Jomtien has also become too congested for my comfort.

46 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

U Tapao to Pattaya centre is not much of a problem but going back the other way can be expensive and a pain in the backside, especially if you are flying back to CM as the main flight s a ridiculous hour in the morning. Overall I think Swampy is easier and more convenient on the Pattaya outward leg.

That 6:30 a.m. flight is ridiculous, however three days a week (Sun, Wed, Fri) they have a second flight that leaves UTP at 16:20 (changes to 17:25 later in the year or early next year) which is good.

As for getting to UTP, I use a company called Crane Company. They will pick you up at your residence in Pattaya and take you to U-Tapao for 250 baht per person. You have to text them to make a reservation.

21 hours ago, balo said:

Yes I am aware of that but I'm not looking for white bread , more the German type or Scandinavian , country bread with lots of fiber.

Bei Otto in Bangkok knows how to make them . 

Country-Bread.jpg

Hello there Balo,

You may like to take a look at Chiang Mai Bread on facebook.   They offer an aray - Wholewheat, Multigrain, Rye, Sourdough, Pitta. They deliver free within the city, but will also go further afield, I understand.  The Whole Wheat Pitta and the home-made Hummus are both divine.  I buy the large hummus and freeze half.  It works a treat.

Imelda 

Yes the afternoon flight is much better but often quite a bit more expensive, I used Crane Company (seem to be the only one) a few months back. They were over 1 hour late, thankfully no traffic so still made it. Bell Travel to Swampy is more reliable i think. Cheapest way to Swampy would be the train from Pattaya to Lat Krabang and then a few stops on the BTS. Painfully slow though !

Edited by rogeroc

1 hour ago, Tib6005 said:

You may like to take a look at Chiang Mai Bread on facebook.   They offer an aray - Wholewheat, Multigrain, Rye, Sourdough, Pitta.

That's great news, good to hear there are many options for us bread lovers in Chiang Mai .  

On 8/25/2016 at 8:11 PM, Berkshire said:

Pretty accurate.  I would add that the Thais in Chiang Mai are pretty genuine and decent.  Most are from CM or the north in general.  Most do not work in the tourist trade and don't have a negative view of farangs.   Contrast that with Pattaya, where it seems most of the Thais there are more mercenary.  It's not their hometown and they're there to make money.  They've seen the worst sides of foreigners and don't think twice about fleecing a farang. 

I agree with this.  I noticed the same in Hua Hin 12 years ago, before it even turned into a tourist trap.  Now, it is even more evident, that their whole lives revolve around separating the farang from his money.  

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

4 hours ago, Paul3456 said:

That 6:30 a.m. flight is ridiculous, however three days a week (Sun, Wed, Fri) they have a second flight that leaves UTP at 16:20 (changes to 17:25 later in the year or early next year) which is good.

As for getting to UTP, I use a company called Crane Company. They will pick you up at your residence in Pattaya and take you to U-Tapao for 250 baht per person. You have to text them to make a reservation.

Kan Air also run an ATR-72 three-times-weekly, dep CNX arr UTP 19.00 and return dep UTP 19.30 arr CNX 21.30, 15 kgs of hold-luggage and fares can be as low as B899 one-way.

https://www.kanairlines.com/web/flightschedule.php?lang=en

On 25/08/2016 at 6:58 PM, ThaiPauly said:

This is bullshit...there are thousands of us here in CM below 70 years old, but what difference does that make anyway? You think that once you ate over 70 you have nothing to offer.

If you are leaving soon ,good riddance, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out

Funny how we get so protective of our adopted abodes. Its actually OK if someone doesn't like CM, different strokes for different folks and all that...

I have a place in CM and another on the beach at Rayong, like both areas for different reasons, don't like Pattaya at all. Currently staying at Rayong as got sick of the smog and traffic in CM, things may change later though.

8 hours ago, rogeroc said:

I agree.  Just that some of the Utapao flights can be seriously cheap.  To get similar fares you'd have to fly from DMK which is more of a pain to get to from Pattaya.  

I think Air Asia still offers included van transfer from Central Festival;  so that's not too expensive, but it does take a LONG time.  Very little time gain versus any of the big buses direct to BKK, if any.

On 26 สิงหาคม 2559 at 2:50 PM, NancyL said:

Well, maybe you should stay in Pattaya where there it's more acceptable to have an exploitative attitude toward foreigners and use the "f" word to describe them.  I just returned from a day at Suan Dok Hospital, the teaching hospital associated with CM Univ where I was assisting some elderly foreigners and I can assure you that when speaking about foreigners, the doctors and nurses use the words "kon dtang chaat"  or the exact nationality of the person and not "farang".  Even the name of their special line item for dual pricing uses the proper name and not "farang room price".   (After all, Japanese, Korean, Chinese etc patients have to pay that "special" room charge, too.)

The point of the post is that I am not yet living in either.

The post isn't about using "farang" either.

I think I've read enough, so I probably won't respond further on this thread.

Thank you to all that did reply on topic.

On 26 สิงหาคม 2559 at 3:57 PM, Bob9 said:

Been in CM for 2 years - we will be moving next year.  I have found that CM has many positives and many negatives. One thing that stands out is the aggressiveness of those who have committed to staying, when they respond to criticism of CM.

For the OP to only ask for positives about CM is ridiculous - surely he/she wants both points of view before moving here?  If not, then suggest you move here for 3 months and make up your own mind before fully committing.  From what I have seen, most of the comments made so far are right - both positive and negative - it is all about balance - no place 100% good.

We are leaving CM because:

1. Smoke season (Jan to April) is worse each year, and locals suggest it is going to continue to get worse (more people/farms/corn);

Yes - CM is full of grumpy old men (and some women) and laptop-warriors and retired Yanks - but who cares.

We like CM because;

1.  Easy to get around and has everything you ever need - and everything is within a 30-40 mins drive;

2.  Thais are more friendly here, and the culture is more relaxed and open, than in Pattaya/Chonburi (tourist parts);

For the OP to only ask for positives about CM is ridiculous -

LOL. If anyone has read any of my previous posts elsewhere on TV they will know that I'm not impressed with many things about CM. The only point of this thread is to see if there are enough positives to make it worth while moving there rather than Pattaya, where I am well aware of both positives and negatives.

I have lived in Pattaya, but only visit CM, so the benefits are not known to me.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For the OP to only ask for positives about CM is ridiculous -

LOL. If anyone has read any of my previous posts elsewhere on TV they will know that I'm not impressed with many things about CM. The only point of this thread is to see if there are enough positives to make it worth while moving there rather than Pattaya, where I am well aware of both positives and negatives.

I have lived in Pattaya, but only visit CM, so the benefits are not known to me.

Hey honey, lets move to Katmandu - everyone on this forum says it is a great city.

Have another beer and just watch the footy darling.

2 hours ago, whimsy said:

Pattaya is a vacation destination. Chiang Mai is still a place to call home if you want it to be.  I agree its the people, the local people with deep roots here that make the difference. 

Yes certainly, that's one of the best things about Chiang Mai...the people, the local people with deep roots here that make the difference.

It could be added that the farangs who speak their language and who have raised families among them wouldn't trade it for Sleaze-by-the Sea for all the poon-tang in the world.

On 25/8/2016 at 6:00 PM, jesimps said:

Went to CM once, never again. Took me 30 mins to look around old town. Diced with death every time I tried to cross a road. Boring and expensive girly bars with ugly and unfriendly girlies. Same sort of markets you get anywhere in Thailand. Expensive second hand book shops. Expensive everything else. Expensive/dodgy taxis and no baht buses. No cooling breeze. Smog bound. Too far from Suvarnabhumi. No beaches. Horrendous immigration office according to reports. Unfriendly expats. Kissed the ground when I arrived back in Pattaya.

Apart from that it was ok.

Wow, I've never been to Pattaya but know CM very well. If you find CM expensive place, I cannot imagine how cheap Pattaya is!!!

LOL