You just got 44'd: Prayut suspends Bangkok governor indefinitely

webfact

9 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Are you suggesting Prayuth has not done the right thing here......this governor has been implicated in endless scandals over the years....his time has finally arrived, and I don't think this is a case of one being more powerful.....he;s being investigated for fraud!

The problem is that there are other individuals who are implicated in scandals - but they are untouched and untouchable. In Thailand the law and its enforcement (and all manner of 'investigations') are a total joke and are made up as they go along, to suit the interests of the very few at the top. It is totally - TOTALLY - irrelevant whether there are a million pieces of evidence against this individual (and I am no supporter of the BKK Governor): if the Powerful want to cover up for him and protect him, they will; if they don't (for whatever reason - as now) - they won't. But it has zero to do with genuine guilt or innocence.

Remember Koh Tao, anyone? That was one of the earliest signs of the unbelievably filthy, corrupt wind that was blowing (the 'reformist' wind) across the 'new Thailand' ...

Edited by Eligius

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Are you suggesting Prayuth has not done the right thing here......this governor has been implicated in endless scandals over the years....his time has finally arrived, and I don't think this is a case of one being more powerful.....he;s being investigated for fraud!

You do know that "implicated" and "investigated" does not equate to 'Caught, tried and convicted beyond all reasonable doubt'?

Or should he simply abolish the justice system in its entirety and adjudicate on each and every matter himself? (Don't answer that one)

Edited by baboon

15 minutes ago, baboon said:

You do know that "implicated" and "investigated" does not equate to 'Caught, tried and convicted beyond all reasonable doubt'?

Or should he simply abolish the justice system in its entirety and adjudicate on each and every matter himself? (Don't answer that one)?

Wouldn't make any diff. Personally, I doubt Sukumbhand was on the take, being aware that he was waiting for the tumbril to come for him, he would have to have been completely daft to be lining his own pockets. Mind you, he is Thai so anything could happen. Even so, although I was convinced he would be tipped out, I have to say I was surprised to see it happen, what with being an MR or ML and all. 

I suppose the floods in BKK over the past few days provided good cover, though Prayuth's been working on this for a while I do not doubt. Still. more good entertainment in the old political theatre yet I suspect, though you can't beat watching Caesar getting knifed for a good laugh.

This Prayuth feller's mad as a box of frogs, there's just no end to his jolly japes. Makes Faulty Towers look like the epitome of reason and sensibleness.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

1 hour ago, Winniedapu said:

I doubt it, he's a Thai as well so he's going to be a first rate <deleted>-up, but this is Thailand, most of 'em are first-rate <deleted>-ups so you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

Winnie

p.s. What do you expect from a Newcastle supporter?

He is Chinese first,.

14% of the population but 70% of all politicians.

The all belong to Chinese clans that divide up the politic spectrum.

The Hakkas, Hailamese, Cantonese, Hokkiens and Techius, control every institution that is important.

Thaksin is Hakka.

Abhisit is Hokkien.

Sondhi is Hailamese .

Then we have the Techius.....

Edited by PS2
spelling

"... Invoking his emergency power..." when it really wasn't necessary!

There was already ample provision within the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Act, BE 2528 (1985) to have Sukumbhand removed without resorting to theatricals!

sukhumbhand.jpg

And it could have been done by General Anupong Paojinda (a former army chief, and now Minister of the Interior) instead of Prayut and his trusty 44.

Article 52

The Governor of Bangkok shall vacate office for any of the following reasons:

:

(8)  removal by the Minister of Interior, with the approval of the Council of Ministers, when the Governor is found to have brought about disgrace to the dignity of his office, or have acted or failed to render any necessary act in such a manner likely to expose to serious detriment Bangkok Metropolis, the entire state affairs or the maintenance of public order or welfare;

Where there arises any circumstance under (8), the Council of Bangkok may resolve to request the Minister of Interior to refer the matter to the Council of Ministers. Such resolution of the Council of Bangkok must be passed by at least two third of the total number of the existing Councillors. In this respect, the Minister of Interior must refer the matter to the Council of Ministers within fifteen days from his receipt of the notice of the resolution of the Council of Bangkok.

:

14 minutes ago, waldroj said:

"... Invoking his emergency power..." when it really wasn't necessary!

There was already ample provision within the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Act, BE 2528 (1985) to have Sukumbhand removed without resorting to theatricals!

sukhumbhand.jpg

And it could have been done by General Anupong Paojinda (a former army chief, and now Minister of the Interior) instead of Prayut and his trusty 44.

Article 52

The Governor of Bangkok shall vacate office for any of the following reasons:

:

(8)  removal by the Minister of Interior, with the approval of the Council of Ministers, when the Governor is found to have brought about disgrace to the dignity of his office, or have acted or failed to render any necessary act in such a manner likely to expose to serious detriment Bangkok Metropolis, the entire state affairs or the maintenance of public order or welfare;

Where there arises any circumstance under (8), the Council of Bangkok may resolve to request the Minister of Interior to refer the matter to the Council of Ministers. Such resolution of the Council of Bangkok must be passed by at least two third of the total number of the existing Councillors. In this respect, the Minister of Interior must refer the matter to the Council of Ministers within fifteen days from his receipt of the notice of the resolution of the Council of Bangkok.

:

Ah but then that nice Mr Prayuth would not have been able to pretend to the already disbelieving people of Thailand, that he was relentlessly rooting out and hunting down corruption in high places.

Which of course he isn't.

Winnie

PM suspends Governor Sukhumbhand and Dr Premsak from duties

905_S44-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha on Thursday invoked Section 44 of the interim constitution to temporarily suspend Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra until there is a change of the order.

In accordance with NCPO Order No 50/2559, M.R. Sukhumbhand still keep his governor’s post but will not receive any pay during the suspension period.

The same order also suspended Dr Premsak Piayura, mayor of Ban Phai in Khon Kaen, from duty without out pay during the suspension period.

The order did not give any details about why the two public servants were suspended from their duties besides saying that agencies concerned would continue investigating the alleged corruption and misuse of authority implicating the two men.

Earlier, M.R. Sukhumbhand was investigated for alleged misuse of the city’s budget for the light tunnel project to promote tourism which came under heavy criticism for being highly overpriced.

Dr Premsak, meanwhile, was accused of abuse of power arising from his alleged engagement with an underaged girl. He is also under investigation for illegally detaining a reporter in his office and stripping him of his clothes over his report of the alleged relationship with the girl.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-suspends-governor-sukhumbhand-dr-premsak-duties/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-26

I have to wonder how many of those denigrating this action were advocating exactly that action in the last thread about the governor, while claiming it would never happen to the corrupt Bangkok elite? Because I do recall pointing out the hypocrisy at the time.

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

I have to wonder how many of those denigrating this action were advocating exactly that action in the last thread about the governor, while claiming it would never happen to the corrupt Bangkok elite? Because I do recall pointing out the hypocrisy at the time.

You're wasting your time, it doesn't matter if it's logical, some of these guys would blame Prayuth for acid rain. I find it humorous the lengths that they go to equate everything that has been going on for as long as I've been here, to the Junta. I don't bother replying to the crap anymore, they're Shin fanboys.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

No it's not, it's the war on corruption going on and the general is on top of it.

<snigger>

Of course he is. Having first refused to explain his own unusual wealth.

Keep drinking the kool-aid.

Winnie

14 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

<snigger>

Winnie

Almost nobody in Thailand can explain their wealth, you can keep whining over that but it's just a fact.

It's also a fact that the general is fighting corruption and making Thailand a better place. It's a dangerous job to do and if you think you can do it better than make yourself electable (and buy a bulletproof vest).

14 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Right, another choice of the people being sidestepped. The question remains, who can 44 Prayuth ?

I suppose we are getting elections for the vacant position pretty quickly, or is the position of Bangkok governor now also an appointed position ?

Much better to let the corrupt serve their term of office, max their "profit" and be voted out eh? 

Elected officials above the law - you must be on something.

15 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

like a goat at an ISIS convention, he is screwed.

I'd rather be a goat at an ISIS convention than a pawn on Kim's chess board.

Being screwed by some small pinky nut jobs for a week then eaten, seems nice compared to having to associate with Kim whilst smiling.

Luckily I don't have to do either.

20 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

<snigger>

Winnie

Do you think any of the political and senior classes here would open their books?

That's the problem with corruption - it infests like a plague. And is so common in countries where families of Chinese ethnicity have become part of the feudal elite. Brought their old habits with them.

35 minutes ago, Thian said:

Almost nobody in Thailand can explain their wealth, you can keep whining over that but it's just a fact.

It's also a fact that the general is fighting corruption and making Thailand a better place. It's a dangerous job to do and if you think you can do it better than make yourself electable (and buy a bulletproof vest).

"Almost nobody in Thailand can explain their wealth, you can keep whining over that but it's just a fact."

It isn't a fact just because you say it is. Cursory audits of wealth are a normal part of the political process in Thailand, one which is rorted as much here as anywhere. But Prayuth simply refused to be audited. Might seem normal to you but it isn't. 

"It's also a fact that the general is fighting corruption and making Thailand a better place."

Name 1 high-ranked person who's gone to prison for corruption. Lots of inactive posts of course, that's all a part of the smoke and mirrors the good general likes to use, and the victims will be back to normal as soon as the fuss dies down, Thais have only got a short little span of attention. But real corruption? Real imprisonment? I don't think you'll find Mr Prayuth has done anything effective at all. Deck-chairs on the beach (which are mostly now back as normal), a couple of bike lanes (which are now unusable due to street trader encroachment), that's about all he's been capable of. Waste of space, waste of effort, but then he's not interested in reforming Thailand, he's only interested in maintaining the status quo. If he was serious about corruption Thailand would now be knee-deep in senior-rank jailbirds from the police and armed forces. See any of those do you? Apart from the theatre surrounding the clipping of a certain person's wings I mean. I didn't think so.

(hint) Try to drink less kool-aid, it's bad for your liver and disastrous for your IQ.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

The intrigues of what is facetiously called "politics" in Thailand.

The Thai PBS article above (and the BP) points out that Sukhumbhand will still keep his governor’s post but will not receive any pay during the suspension period.

So, Sukhumbhand is suspended, and he keeps his governor’s post. But, according to The Nation, the Deputy Bangkok Governor will act as caretaker governor during the suspension (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-invokes-Article-44-to-suspend-Sukhumbhand-30293820.html)!

Not only that, Sukhumbhand is currently visiting Korea for a "diplomatic visit" to attend an event celebrating ties between Bangkok and the Seoul.

What does the suspension actually mean then? Who will be sitting at the governor's desk (and who will be sleeping at Suan Pakkad Palace for that matter)?

Sounds like the mother of all inactive posts!

14 hours ago, PS2 said:

He is Chinese first,.

The Hakkas, Hailamese, Cantonese, Hokkiens and Techius, control every institution that is important.

Thaksin is Hakka.

Abhisit is Hokkien.

Sondhi is Hailamese .

Then we have the Techius.....

Teochew not Techhius. Most Thai Chinese are Teochew from Eastern Guangdong.

14 hours ago, baboon said:

Or should he simply abolish the justice system in its entirety and adjudicate on each and every matter himself? (Don't answer that one)

" Caught, tried and convicted beyond all reasonable doubt'? "  You think that nice Western criteria applies in all countries (incl.Thailand)?

Nah! 

15 hours ago, Eligius said:

The problem is that there are other individuals who are implicated in scandals - but they are untouched and untouchable. In Thailand the law and its enforcement (and all manner of 'investigations') are a total joke and are made up as they go along, to suit the interests of the very few at the top. It is totally - TOTALLY - irrelevant whether there are a million pieces of evidence against this individual (and I am no supporter of the BKK Governor): if the Powerful want to cover up for him and protect him, they will; if they don't (for whatever reason - as now) - they won't. But it has zero to do with genuine guilt or innocence.

Remember Koh Tao, anyone? That was one of the earliest signs of the unbelievably filthy, corrupt wind that was blowing (the 'reformist' wind) across the 'new Thailand' ...

Look at the three lists of supposedly corrupt officials and civil servants,  the first produced a couple sideways moves then silence   !

Enforcement of the anti-corruption laws here are and always will be carefully applied because no matter who is in charge it always gets too close to home.

36 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

" Caught, tried and convicted beyond all reasonable doubt'? "  You think that nice Western criteria applies in all countries (incl.Thailand)?

Nah! 

Yah. That is why they have police, civil courts, judges, prosecutors, lawyers... That the system is certainly abused does not mean the criteria do not exist.

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Yah. That is why they have police, civil courts, judges, prosecutors, lawyers... That the system is certainly abused does not mean the criteria do not exist.

Apologies, I should have said that it is not PRACTISED (but I still have my doubts about the criteria).

And while we are about it - never let anyone say that crime does not pay. It pays the police, civil courts, judges, prosecutors, lawyers and many others.  No crime = more unemployed? :whistling:  

He must have gotten permission during his pilgrimage to Si Sao Thewes yesterday?

This is like an Oprah giveaway...Article 44 for you, for you, for you, for everybody. Look under your seat.

He is Chinese first,.
Thaksin is Hakka.
Abhisit is Hokkien.
Sondhi is Hailamese .

And deep down they still all hate/despise those from another region. Even if Teochew. ;)

Edited by mtls2005