Retirement Visa Requirements In Jomtien

on the corruption end of things I too was taken into side room and made pay 19000 bath for retirement ext and I had everything in order.I also posted on Thi Visa and with some of the responses you would swear I did something wrong cheers

• Like 1

on the corruption end of things I too was taken into side room and made pay 19000 bath for retirement ext and I had everything in order.I also posted on Thi Visa and with some of the responses you would swear I did something wrong cheers

It's a bizarre thread. It's almost like farang have been brainwashed and forced to believe their pretty little tropical immigration office is clean and the farang just need a haircut and a clean shirt and they will be A OK!

Odd considering more of us are coming forward

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

P l e a s e!  Not another immigration bashing thread!  Can't we all just get along?  This is Thailand, pay up or get out.

The assumption of at least a small amount of integrity in dealing with civil servants does not apply here.  Your fantasy of law and order will cost you more money and indigestion. 

3 hours ago, mcfish said:

Errrr how did you figure you need to be upset to be corrupt?

No offense but that's just ridiculous..

You think they would try and extort a hippy backpacker in dreadlocks for 15k? Or you think they will select a target that dresses well and looks like they have money?

It's not a trick question lol

Read post #27 and the take into consideration the post counts of the people who have experienced corruption.  I've never had a problem at Jomtien nor anyone I know and I have known a lot of people in Pattaya over the last 10 years.  

Read post #27 and the take into consideration the post counts of the people who have experienced corruption.  I've never had a problem at Jomtien nor anyone I know and I have known a lot of people in Pattaya over the last 10 years.  

Take into consideration there are now 3 of us in a short period to come forward.

The only way to measure it is by those that come forward not by those who don't.

I also know many many farang in Pattaya over 12 years and know of at least 6 others that were harassed. Probably hundreds more that don't religiously read the visa forum.. Why would they?

11 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Take into consideration there are now 3 of us in a short period to come forward.

The only way to measure it is by those that come forward not by those who don't.

I also know many many farang in Pattaya over 12 years and know of at least 6 others that were harassed. Probably hundreds more that don't religiously read the visa forum.. Why would they?

When you say others harassed do you mean extorted for money?   Did you read my post #27? 

Edited by Scotwight

Apologies if I offend anyone, but please can people confine themselves to answering the question I have asked about Police and Doctors reports. I have certainly noted all concerns about corruption; I am not wet behind the ears, I hope;  and will be taking someone ( a Thai) with me to help me if required. Many, many thanks for all replies so far. Champers.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2016 at 7:33 AM, Scotwight said:

Retirement extension?  I've never heard of that happening at Jomtien.  Has anyone else?  Or is this a one time thing?

Clarification!

What the BM, is saying or asking?  This is his FIRST application!   A person who already has a Extension doesn't need to go to Bangkok nor can a individual having a Extension obtained in Chon Buri go to Bangkok and renewal their Extension as far as I know.

Not sure if this is a scam or corruption?  but I went with a friend two years ago to apply for his first retirement and told the same thing.  He happens to be a lazy guy has money so he paid the requested amount. Came back the next day everything was done including them adding a Multi-entry for him. 

18 minutes ago, champers said:

Apologies if I offend anyone, but please can people confine themselves to answering the question I have asked about Police and Doctors reports. I have certainly noted all concerns about corruption; I am not wet behind the ears, I hope;  and will be taking someone ( a Thai) with me to help me if required. Many, many thanks for all replies so far. Champers.

You have your answer already on page 1.

Police report -NO

Doctors report - NO

As far as I know if you do it in the States,  you got to get a Heath Checkup and Police report? My opinion was some time ago. But as noted 2 years ago, my friend in Chon Buri, was ask to pay the 15,000 to obtain his first applicants if he didn't want to go to Bangkok. 

I've been doing my for a number of years know exactly what to provide for the extension and did the same for him.  We had the U.S. income verification, Bank verification, etc.. not sure what they were saying except things had change.  Again as noted, my buddy had the money,  more lazy than anything else so he paid the amount and it was done the next day.

As for corruption,  just my opinion as to how I see things in Thailand particularly in Pattaya.  Majority of the Expats visit immigration and see not much except how long they got to wait. I for one have seen the improvements made and they have a long way to go.  Maybe the word corruption isn't the proper word to use but personally many if not the majority of the people working in the office are related in some form.  Next time, you go in the early morning when you look over the desk I believe 8-9, where they do the extensions, this is the heart of the entire place, you will see the chucky Gay guy with glasses even before the place opens 8:30 am business at his job with stacks of passport in front of him. Let's just say he is doing this for the good of the entire operation and for a tip?  That tip is share amount all the staff.  Get there early and watch some of the cars that are driven by the workers.

It is just the way things are done and it is just a game we got to play to get what we need.  Some come in get all upset over the way it is and even get rude for what?  or you can be observe and figure out the system and when the best time to come?  On one of my visit  got my number went to the guy, gave him a Wai, and Sawasdee and the guy look over to the other guy, you know the guy who just sits and does nothing all day, that itself takes work?  told him in Thai, he has been processing all day and this is the first Farang who has Wai him, they both smile not knowing I understand?  I wanted to tell them in Thai, " yea I'm a kiss ass ",   too this day he stills remembers me and him and the lady ask me how's my son and wife. 

Maybe not corruption but just the way it works?   Good luck

Edited by thailand49

8 hours ago, champers said:

The second post of this thread answered those questions.:wai2:

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:19 PM, mcfish said:

Jomtian are corrupt. I had all my papers in order and the woman officer insisted I must go to Bangkok to get my income letter translated to Thai. Followed quickly by " I can do everything for you right now just 15k baht"

I went to Bangkok the next day and sorted in 30 mins.

Best go to Bangkok IMO

Did this actually happen inside the immigration building or outside where they do the photo copying because that is a private business and is not anything to do with immigration, also they are now taking the pi ss - I used to just let the girl fill out my forms and gave her a tip, now the owner of that business is charging 200 baht for form filling and 100baht for 2x photos so best to get it all done beforehand.

As for the OP - single entry type O is what you need then it is easily converted in Jomtien to a 1 year extension, you have to jump through hoops to get and O-A and the fact it can only be obtained in London, second best is a tourist visa that will require a trip to Bangkok to convert to type O (or at least jomtien immigration will need to send it there)........after that once you have the extension then renew every year at jomtien for 1900 baht provided you meet the financial requirements for all the above, easiest is to have the 800knaht in a Thai bank account

Edited by smedly

22 hours ago, kinyara said:

I successfully went through the conversion process from tourist visa to non immigrant O to 1 year extension of stay based on retirement at Jomtien from Feb to May this year. I did it on the basis of the lump sum in bank rather than monthly pension.  The only minor issue I had was going in the afternoon for the 1 year extension and one of the staff took me to the side office to confirm all my paperwork was in order, which it was , and on completion he said that will be 4,000 baht. I replied that I didn't need a fast track special service and would like to pay the standard 1,900 baht fee. " very busy cannot do ", so I thanked him and said no problem I'll come back tomorrow morning then. Went through fine the next morning and I made a point of blanking him as he hovered around the area while the other staff properly did their job.

Got a residence letter for driving licence in 20 minutes this week, ( driving licence took 45 minutes which is another big improvement at the Driving Centre ),  and about to walk down and do my first 90 day report.

I find their service excellent and helpful on the whole.

So it is not the whole office, just this one rogue officer. I think the chief would like to know about him.

3 hours ago, Ronuk said:

Exactly but some people want to rock the boat. I think most are unaware just how many are using this 'service'. There would need to be a mass exodus of expats from Pattaya if this was stopped.

I lived in Pattaya for a long time on Soi Buakhow and never heard of such a service.  I think you are making it up.:wai2:

2 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Seems to me having lived here more than a decade I'd have seen or met someone who paid that much money for an extension or someone on Thai Visa like one of the mods would have heard of such a service in Pattaya.  I think you are way out of line and imagining things.  You are suggesting a mass exodus that would involve thousands of people - you are blowing smoke.  Someone would have posted it here before now.  

You seem to want to argue with everything. Quite honestly, I cannot even be bothered with answering you anymore. Believe anything you want. I really couldn't care any less.

Post discussing illegal activity Removed. Bickering posts Removed.

Forum Rule - 2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Paying for a Visa is in Violation.

On 8/26/2016 at 2:40 PM, Scotwight said:

A few months ago you wrote, " Yesterday I applied to convert my multi entry tourist visa, ( last entry ), to a non immigrant O for retirement purpose at Jomtien. I provided the following ....... This was then accepted, paid the 2,000 baht and was given my receipt and a ticket to come back on March 3rd to see if approved by Bangkok. This is the bit I didn't expect. The date they have given me is the date my current visa expires, which is hardly reassuring in the event of a problem. Obviously I will have to prepare the documents for an extension to my existing visa and take that with me on the day as a back up plan."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/891802-converting-a-visa-exempt-or-tourist-visa-entry-into-a-retirement-extension/#comment-10380591

If you came back the next day your visa would have been expired.  How did that work out?

It worked out okay thanks, I went back 3 days early to be on the safe side and it was ready, the staff member then helpfully explained the next stage of the process to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

So, a single entry tourist visa can be converted to a non-imm' o retirement at Jomtien?

Cheers

Yes you can apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement.