Thailand aims to be dropped from U.S.' PWL

webfact

Thailand aims to be dropped from U.S.' PWL

BANGKOK, 26 August 2016 (NNT) – The Department of Intellectual Property steps up its efforts to remove Thailand from the U.S.’ Priority Watch List (PWL) with a focus on suppressing intellectual property violation in 70 locations nationwide. Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha set a target to take the country out of the list by 2017. 

The PM on Thursday presided over a meeting between the Policy Committee of the National Intellectual Property. After the meeting, Deputy Minister of Commerce Suvit Maesincee said the meeting agreed on guidelines to remove Thailand from the PWL in line with the U.S.’ trade laws. The meeting also agreed to make an intellectual property work plan in collaboration with the U.S. The plan will address four key issues including rights, trademarks, patents and suppression of intellectual property infringements. 

The U.S. will announce its new PWL in April 2017. 

Mr. Suvit said the department would develop a 20-year road map in consistent with the government’s Thailand 4.0 policy. Under the road map, the department would not only enforce laws, but would also turn ideas into products and protect intellectual properties, said the deputy minister. 

The premier instructed relevant officers to focus on enforcing intellectual property laws in the 70 locations nationwide. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-26

I bet the Thais who correspond with the Americans on this issue use pirated software on their government computers. I know where I work that those who deal with the computers use pirated versions even though they have licenses for all the computers. The problem is the tech people don't have the time do deal with the reinstall process of all the updates when computers go down. Reinstalls take days especailly on older computers. So they choose to just use the pirated version as it has all the updates already in it and it installs in an hour or two. Another negative about Thailand is no one wants to pay for the real antivirus so even if they did use the licensed copy of windows they may have problems with free or pirated antivirus programs.

There's a lot of money to be made by tech companies that address the issues users face in the real world of the third world. Some of the reasons people are using pirated stuff isn't about cost. It's about convenience and labor issues. I think the big tech people need to get people on the ground actually visiting government and private institutions in places like Thailand. They need to set up a convenient way to get these folks up and running and responsible without all the confusion and time that exists now.

There are of course the many other people pirating software and goods in Thailand and Asia. The situation is changing slowly as Asia's purchasing power and demands for quality rise. It could change faster with some programs to give the consumers a better reason to use the real stuff.

7 minutes ago, Alive said:

I bet the Thais who correspond with the Americans on this issue use pirated software on their government computers. I know where I work that those who deal with the computers use pirated versions even though they have licenses for all the computers. The problem is the tech people don't have the time do deal with the reinstall process of all the updates when computers go down. Reinstalls take days especailly on older computers. So they choose to just use the pirated version as it has all the updates already in it and it installs in an hour or two. Another negative about Thailand is no one wants to pay for the real antivirus so even if they did use the licensed copy of windows they may have problems with free or pirated antivirus programs.

There's a lot of money to be made by tech companies that address the issues users face in the real world of the third world. Some of the reasons people are using pirated stuff isn't about cost. It's about convenience and labor issues. I think the big tech people need to get people on the ground actually visiting government and private institutions in places like Thailand. They need to set up a convenient way to get these folks up and running and responsible without all the confusion and time that exists now.

There are of course the many other people pirating software and goods in Thailand and Asia. The situation is changing slowly as Asia's purchasing power and demands for quality rise. It could change faster with some programs to give the consumers a better reason to use the real stuff.

It doesn't have to take as you put it days to reinstall the OS just needs someone with good policies (computer type) and lock the machines down. 

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

20y roadmap in a country where the average lifetime of a constitution is less than a decade. Optimistic.

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Another 20 year roadmap, soon be no room for new roads.:)

They will just change the name from Road Map to Hub !

From what I've heard and read, reapeatedly and from several sources, the main reason why Thailand is on that list is not, as most Westerners believe, due to the local 'copy business' of watches, handbags, polo shirts and the like. The 'victims' of this business, in any case, are the shareholders of hyper rich companies dealing in luxury items and based in Europe, not the US. To these shareholders I regret to say that I don't feel terribly sympathetic, and I have a distinct feeling that i'm not the only one.

No, the main reason why Thailand (along with India and several others) is on that US list lies in the pharmaceutical business. The patenting system implemented by the US is essentially a wildly liberal one where Western individuals or companies can claim ownership of things like molecules and then sue everyone left and right for trying to copy these molecules. If the little buggers are for making your skin look younger, who cares, but when it comes to drugs that are effective on pathologies like HIV, Hepatitis C, cholesterol, psychoses, cancer etc, then obviousy it raises a very serious ethical problem. Enough said.

The people lie, the police lie, the society and courts accept it without a raised eyebrow and so it is no wonder that the whole country runs on deception, most of it blatent. When copied stuff us available all around you every day in open view and often right next to a police box, how can anyone take this nonsense seriously. You would think after decades of the bull served up to the international community and blatant disregard of any covenants Thailand is a signatory to, that no one in the world would believe a word they say. 

Their neighbours use the catchy saying 'Don't Thai me' - they obviously caught on. 

You can walk into most shopping centers, and just about any open market and buy pirated movies or music. It's so accepted that you see pictures of celebrities at the shops sometimes. How in the world do they expect this to happen realistically?

Every small town market sells some of sort of fake items, usually music/movie CDs, handbags and sunglasses.

Both police and government offices still use pirated copies of Windows XP/7.

So they put the squeeze on 70 locations but there are thousands of other places that will still be in business.

What is a 'location' ? City, market, building, area or province ? Can't they just do 1 location and repeat 70 times ?

By the way, I always liked the pirate copy in Thailand because it showed that Thailand was not kowtowing to the USA, following their own roadmap not being told where to go by the US corporations.

Edited by IAMHERE
by the way thought came to mind

Amazing. Thailand could get free OS by converting all their government computers to Linux systems, concurrently removing all crappy Microsoft OS, and get a free kick with intellectual property.

Oh wait - that requires intellect.

3 hours ago, bazza40 said:

Amazing. Thailand could get free OS by converting all their government computers to Linux systems, concurrently removing all crappy Microsoft OS, and get a free kick with intellectual property.

Oh wait - that requires intellect.

LOS - Land of SNAFU's.

When I came here for the first time in the early noughties, most banks were running their systems on DOS. I was slightly surprised... but thought... oh well, 3rd world.

At that stage I didn't realise that Thailand was superior in all things to the 1st world. Took time to fully appreciate. Most of it was hookey even then.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu