An Australian trying to retire in Thailand

17 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Ok sorry ,  I  apologise for that .

just that lots of f??? Wits get on here and are having a go at me .

it is not about me , it is about pension at 65 years old and having to go home for 2 years to get it  and so they should.

i can't stand the f??? Wits on here who have ago at my great country Australia.

not my problem if most of them get suck in by thai pussy . 

Let them lose the lot see if I care . 

And 99% come here for the thai pussy like me , I am not afraid to say that I am a man not a  Mouse like most of them .

AND SORRY  once again. 

I agree with you, back home in Europe, our social system is bankrupt. But you still have these selfish people who move abroad and spend our money  (on thai pussy..). 

Edited by Bender
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, bazza40 said:

When you salary sacrifice into your superannuation fund, you are taxed at 15% on the contribution. The earnings from those funds are then taxed prior to the pension phase, again at 15%. Not high compared to the upper tax rate of 48.5% outside superannuation. Once the pension is started, the earnings are tax free. As it stands, you can have earnings of $200K per year tax free, and also get a refund from the ATO of franking credits if your SMSF is weighted towards shares.

Sorry if I'm not sympathetic; however, I can't comprehend what you are bitching about.

He's bitching about the same things I'm bitching about, paying tax on income already taxed, paying a medicare levy again on income on which it has already been paid, supporting people who didn't bother to make any provision for themselves, and politicians who see themselves as an elite class.

The reason concessional tax on superannuation contributions, and tax free in retirement mode, were introduced was to provide an incentive for people to fund themselves in retirement.  Now that they've done so, a tax is being introduced on their income and capital gains.  The rules have been changed after people retired on known rules.   Of course the politicians' pre 2004 superannuation is not affected by those rules.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Same provisions my arse.You know your problem,you listened to a future pollie,tell you what you want to hear.Try 15%.

I don't have a problem louse.  I checked online at the time, and it was 9% when introduced,  but appears to have escalated somewhat.... surprise, surprise!!  It's still less than 15% up to 18 years, but way above after 18 years service.

He didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, because I wanted to hear somewhere between zero and five percent.

Check this ink for current contributions by the taxpayers, more than generous by any reckoning

http://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament/parliamentary_departments/parliamentary_library/pubs/bn/1011/superannuationbenefits#_Toc274224143

Then, jut in case they're struggling, there's the 'Retiring Allowance'

http://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament/parliamentary_departments/parliamentary_library/pubs/bn/1011/superannuationbenefits#_Toc274224148

There was a move last year to introduce a safety net for former prime ministers, in case they fell on hard times, but it didn't get far, fortunately.  When a former PM has a few hundred grand coming in annually, it would be difficult to fall on hard times as I see it, and if they did, they would have the capacity to pay off the debt, because the pension is for LIFE!

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition
17 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Don't you not get , if you don't plan for your retirement not my problem not the governments problem your problem .

you did not plan for your retirement ok , if you did you would not get on here and ya , ya like you do .

looks like if you want your pension you will have to go back for 2 years and you have no idea what you are saying.

and if you want to rort the  System  Like you want to hop you get caught and go to jail.

the  reason you don't want to go back Australia is because you not have the money to live there .

you sound like one of the 99% who come here and get rip by a thai hooker .

How would you know what I planned, you wouldnt, and if my plans were changed by a stupid new rule that changed my plans after they were set well suppose thats my fault as well. It seems you have a real problem with Thai hookers, you have mentioned them more than once, silly little fellow ripped off by one were you. By the way George I live quite comfortable here and will continue to do so even if the government changes the rules again, and yeah I did get sick recently got great care and got most things done in a day no waiting and it cost not much at all, could have died waiting in Oz even with Health insurance.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Ok sorry ,  I  apologise for that .

just that lots of f??? Wits get on here and are having a go at me .

it is not about me , it is about pension at 65 years old and having to go home for 2 years to get it  and so they should.

i can't stand the f??? Wits on here who have ago at my great country Australia.

not my problem if most of them get suck in by thai pussy . 

Let them lose the lot see if I care . 

And 99% come here for the thai pussy like me , I am not afraid to say that I am a man not a  Mouse like most of them .

AND SORRY  once again. 

There is another 10 baht to the kitty.Is your's different george,pls elaborate.

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

I don't have a problem louse.  I checked online at the time, and it was 9% when introduced,  but appears to have escalated somewhat.... surprise, surprise!!  It's still less than 15% up to 18 years, but way above after 18 years service.

He didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, because I wanted to hear somewhere between zero and five percent.

Check this ink for current contributions by the taxpayers, more than generous by any reckoning

http://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament/parliamentary_departments/parliamentary_library/pubs/bn/1011/superannuationbenefits#_Toc274224143

Then, jut in case they're struggling, there's the 'Retiring Allowance'

http://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament/parliamentary_departments/parliamentary_library/pubs/bn/1011/superannuationbenefits#_Toc274224148

There was a move last year to introduce a safety net for former prime ministers, in case they fell on hard times, but it didn't get far, fortunately.  When a former PM has a few hundred grand coming in annually, it would be difficult to fall on hard times as I see it, and if they did, they would have the capacity to pay off the debt, because the pension is for LIFE!

Parliamentarians elected for the first time at the 2004 election, however, will be eligible for benefits under the Parliamentary Superannuation Act 2004. Newly-elected parliamentarians will nominate a complying superannuation fund into which contributions of 15.4 per cent will be made by the government on their behalf. These arrangements have the stated aim of bringing superannuation arrangements for parliamentarians in line with current community standards of superannuation arrangements in the Commonwealth Public Sector .

Thanks for the link.I had a speed read and did see 11 and half% but the above says 15.4% plus bonus's included.Mine was only on basic rate,no OT  or bonus's included.This started in 2004 when i was certainly on a lot less than 9%.It has now been stalled at 9 and half for quiet a few years which is money in the company's pocket,thanks to Abbott/Hockey.Now Turnbull wants to give them $50 billion more on behalf of the taxpayer.He still believes in trickle down which was debunked years ago.The newbies of class  2004 came in and immediately complained that 15.4% wasn't enough and they wanted what the long termers got.And they wonder why pollies are below real estate agents,bankers and insurance salespeople in the trustworthy ratings.

2 hours ago, Bob9 said:

Relax George - take it easy mate.

So far you have accused most of us of being fwits and mice, and that 99% of us blokes came here for the Thai girls and 99% of them were taken for a ride by Thai hookers. I refuse to get angry with you and throw insults back at you, but I will say that there are a lot of us who came here and have a great Thai wife/GF and a great life. Far far more than 1% pal - particularly the Aussies I know (80/20 I reckon - 80 being 'winners'). Not the case for some others I know, but maybe Aussies are a bit more down to earth and we can 'see' a hooker easier than some 'starry eyed' Yanks and Poms.

Ok I agree 

ok 80% then 

and I don't go with hookers at all can't stand them.

3 hours ago, Bob9 said:

So far you have accused most of us of being fwits and mice, and that 99% of us blokes came here for the Thai girls and 99% of them were taken for a ride by Thai hookers. I refuse to get angry with you and throw insults back at you, but I will say that there are a lot of us who came here and have a great Thai wife/GF and a great life. Far far more than 1% pal - particularly the Aussies I know (80/20 I reckon - 80 being 'winners'). Not the case for some others I know, but maybe Aussies are a bit more down to earth and we can 'see' a hooker easier than some 'starry eyed' Yanks and Poms.

Tell me why did you come here for ?.

if not for thai pussy ?. 

Like I say and it is the truth most man come here for the thai pussy and you know I am 100% right.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

He's bitching about the same things I'm bitching about, paying tax on income already taxed, paying a medicare levy again on income on which it has already been paid, supporting people who didn't bother to make any provision for themselves, and politicians who see themselves as an elite class.

The reason concessional tax on superannuation contributions, and tax free in retirement mode, were introduced was to provide an incentive for people to fund themselves in retirement.  Now that they've done so, a tax is being introduced on their income and capital gains.  The rules have been changed after people retired on known rules.   Of course the politicians' pre 2004 superannuation is not affected by those rules.

Well said,  the whole issue of private superannuation vs public pensions in Australia is far more complex than people appreciate, but you are starting to touch on it. Firstly it isn't as concessionally taxed as people think.  If you are a low income earner, say a casual earning less than the tax free threshold of $18,200 then you are worse off having superannuation as both the contributions made by your employer and the earnings are taxed at 15%.

The other issues that people overlook are the rates of tax that older Australian's had to pay in their younger years to fund social security, including universal old age pensions in the 1960s and 70s often 65% on part of your income for low/middle  income earners.This tax has provided no benefit to them.

And no one talks about old age pension bludgers- no the genuine needy, but people who put all their money into their private homes MacMansions where a whole tribe of rellies live and sustain them. Nothing in super  of course but they line up for the old age pension every year.

The latest act of bastardry by the Australian government is to change the rules so that the underlying assets of unfunded superannuation schemes are counted in the pension assets test, just wait until the widows of these self funded retirees inherit a lesser pension below the poverty line and can't get an old age pension.

No wonder Australia now has third generation social security blludgers they make Mr Dollittle in My Fair Lady look good

• Like 2
On 27/08/2016 at 1:12 AM, georgemandm said:

You are joking are you .

if not for that great country Australia you would not be in thailand would you . 

I know of pension who live in Melbourne very well and saver good money every month so you have know idea what you are saying.

have you live in Melbourne I would think not , I live like a King in Melbourne.

Melbourne is the most  Livable city in the world, we are talking about cost .

the government changed the laws on pension to stop the the money going over seas for just short team works ok .

and the Greeks 40 years ago we bringing they age mums and dads to Australia for free pensions and the  parents we 65 years old .

how stupid was the government back then that's why it is so hard now .

You are the one who is light up top not me I know what I talking about, not talk sh?? Like you .

In my opinion, Australia was once a lucky country George, now its just hand outs to every one that hasn't worked a day in their life, I am like you, never taken a $ that I didn't earn myself, paid heaps in taxes, and have had no inheritances.

I did not move here to wait for my pension, which is 11 years away, but it would have been nice to know that this rule, (the only country in the world that does it), makes you return for 2 years to get it, I like most Australians are entitled to the pension, it is enshrined in legislation, its an entitlement, the politicians get massive pensions, some well before they reach the preservation age, just look at Gillard and the like, but those of us that chose to live abroad because its cheaper than Australia get shafted with this 2 year rule, I understand what you are saying about you pay taxes for the country, but the country gives you a pension for paying those taxes, its your reward !!!!

Try living in Sydney George, you need $52,000 or a $1,000 a week net to live, that's having your place paid off and car paid off, the rest is your cost to live, I don't care what anyone says, I have done the year thing on a day to day calculation, while it costs me $400 net a week to live here, you can't do it on a pension in Sydney, but you can do it here.

Yes Melbourne is "the most liveable" city in the world to live but they are not talking about what everybody knows, Melbourne was the 21st most expensive city to live in the world in 2015. 

I wasn't aware about the mums and dads were getting the free pension, that is insane//stupid !!!

And in that regard, you got me George, I am light up top, but just for that.

Talemeh

4 hours ago, Bob9 said:

To retire George - that is why I came here. My previous holiday visits were mainly about that, but not now.

I looked into India, Bali, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Malaysia - they all came second to Thailand.

That I found a lovely Thai Lady was a bonus - certainly hoped to be lucky, but she was never guaranteed (unlike bar girls).

Very happy for you not having ago at you great you are happy here .

i  disagree with you about the 2 year thing .

But we  agree to disagree.

But they are lots of man that come here and get suck in by thai pussy .

and this hole  thing is about pension not me or you .

Yes the government get in to us and  politicians get hand outs I agree but not you or not me can change that .

Yes to many people get hand outs but not much I can do about it .

i can live very  comfortable on $400 a week back home not sure about you .

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

In my opinion, Australia was once a lucky country George, now its just hand outs to every one that hasn't worked a day in their life, I am like you, never taken a $ that I didn't earn myself, paid heaps in taxes, and have had no inheritances.

I did not move here to wait for my pension, which is 11 years away, but it would have been nice to know that this rule, (the only country in the world that does it), makes you return for 2 years to get it, I like most Australians are entitled to the pension, it is enshrined in legislation, its an entitlement, the politicians get massive pensions, some well before they reach the preservation age, just look at Gillard and the like, but those of us that chose to live abroad because its cheaper than Australia get shafted with this 2 year rule, I understand what you are saying about you pay taxes for the country, but the country gives you a pension for paying those taxes, its your reward !!!!

Try living in Sydney George, you need $52,000 or a $1,000 a week net to live, that's having your place paid off and car paid off, the rest is your cost to live, I don't care what anyone says, I have done the year thing on a day to day calculation, while it costs me $400 net a week to live here, you can't do it on a pension in Sydney, but you can do it here.

Yes Melbourne is "the most liveable" city in the world to live but they are not talking about what everybody knows, Melbourne was the 21st most expensive city to live in the world in 2015. 

I wasn't aware about the mums and dads were getting the free pension, that is insane//stupid !!!

And in that regard, you got me George, I am light up top, but just for that.

Talemeh

Melbourne to me is not that  expensive at all .

Yes cost lots  if you go to restaurants , but I am not in to the  restaurant thing now .

The hand out thing will never ever stop till  politicians change the way things are now .

I have tried to live here and can't just come and go like I do now , to me thailand was very cheap 5 years ago but now I see it cost lots more ever day , I feel very sorry for the people who are on 300 thai bht a day , I for one can't understand how they can live on that money every day .

I know thai people live on  Credit a lot and I think that gets them through day to day .

one thing lots of Aussie forget if not for being   Australian and working in Australia they would not be able to live in thailand.

To me it is still the lucky country , that's why people  scam to get to Australia.

And f??? The place up .

8 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Very happy for you not having ago at you great you are happy here .

i  disagree with you about the 2 year thing .

But we  agree to disagree.

But they are lots of man that come here and get suck in by thai pussy .

and this hole  thing is about pension not me or you .

Yes the government get in to us and  politicians get hand outs I agree but not you or not me can change that .

Yes to many people get hand outs but not much I can do about it .

OK we agree to disagree.

But like me, many people who have 'earned' the pension feel it is wrong to deny it to Australian citizens who have qualified just because they dont live in Aust - but at the same time allow those that are living in Aust to take it overseas once they qualify - that is the issue.  Let me explain - George1 lives/works in Australia for over 40 years and gets the age pension at 65 and then leaves for Thailand 1 month later - no problem. George2 lives/works in Australia for over 40 years and 1 month before he gets the age pension he leaves for Thailand - his application is denied and he has to come back and live in Aust for 2 years to re-qualify. So, how will they resolve this in the future? Fairly and in a balanced manner? Hell no!! They will do the easy thing and deny ALL people the right to get the pension while they are overseas - not something like I previously suggested.  

People are complaining about Aust and criticising it George, because it has become so unfair and aint what it used to be. And it has become that way because of too many people bludging off the system all/most of their lives - including politicians and many recent immigrants (under 20 years) but mainly it is low-life aholes who are 2nd and 3rd generation dole bludgers living in free housing and with heaps of other social welfare benefits. And that is why so many illegal immigrants are scamming to get into Aust (via boats etc) - NOT to make it and themselves better - but to get the free social welfare and free medical and free education etc etc etc. And the Govt's solution to this ever growing 'black hole' in their Budget is to punish those of us who have worked and paid taxes for 40 years!! That is why many people are unhappy with and slag off Australia George. That and the cost to live there now, because of all the extra taxes to pay for what is per capita the biggest welfare system black hole in the world - bar none.

Yanks have no idea - Poms have a bit of an idea. Aussies know all about it and have had a gutful. Australia is rated number 12 in world as most expensive country to live (Numeo) - but let me tell you having been to many countries I can tell you it is actually even closer to number one if you own your own home and only compare the costs of everything else. But if you live in Sydney it is like Japan/Sweden. It is only because the housing costs in Dubbo and many many other small remote country towns offset the huge costs in Sydney (and then Melb), that Australia is not pushing for the number one spot - guaranteed. 

And all that was not the case 20-30 years ago George - Aust was not in the top 50 and we WERE the lucky country.  What was once a great country and easy to live in, is being slowly strangled to death - economically and socially. That is why I and many many other blokes came to retire here - once there is no self-centred ball-breaking bitch holding us back, and the/any kids are old enough to look after themselves.

9 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Melbourne to me is not that  expensive at all .

Yes cost lots  if you go to restaurants , but I am not in to the  restaurant thing now .

The hand out thing will never ever stop till  politicians change the way things are now .

I have tried to live here and can't just come and go like I do now , to me thailand was very cheap 5 years ago but now I see it cost lots more ever day , I feel very sorry for the people who are on 300 thai bht a day , I for one can't understand how they can live on that money every day .

I know thai people live on  Credit a lot and I think that gets them through day to day .

one thing lots of Aussie forget if not for being   Australian and working in Australia they would not be able to live in thailand.

To me it is still the lucky country , that's why people  scam to get to Australia.

And f??? The place up .

Agree coming and going for you is probably more expensive now than it was 5 years ago because you probably hang in the bigger places, like Pattaya, Phuket, Chang Mi and or the big city BKK, I on the other hand am content with living a rural existence away from people, which is also cheaper than the above places, and I do not live on 300 baht a day, although I could, food and drink wise, lets not forget car running costs, insurances, house maintenance, kids etc etc, so its more like 1,500 baht per day balanced over the year, not including holidays.

Yes Thai's on 300 baht a day do it tough, but this is the norm as it is for others back in AUS, but in AUS they have hand outs, here, a girl I know had a motorbike accident, her leg is f?????, her arm is f?????, she gets a disability allowance of 700 baht a month, go figure, although free medical, she has no hope, and is young too, shame !

Yes I am grateful that my parents migrated to Australia to have a better life after WW2 and give their kids a better chance, but lets not forget who built Australia. I am here in Thailand now because living in Australia is far too expensive, and my kids futures are way out of reach, and I chose not to work till I am 67 to receive the pension, if I live that far, having done the math and the expenses, if I survived I would probably be dead just after I received my pension. So I chose to move here, be stress free and give my kids a life in the village, they can have simple lives, as opposed to working in the slave factory 6/7th's of their lives and have major debt to continue being enslaved, just to have a roof over their heads and the, as you say, to make money, but by the time you take the tax out and other costs to live you won't be left with much, its all a scam George, trust me, besides when they reach 18, if they decide this village life is not for them and they want the faster pace with no life, they can do whatever they want, comes from the Thai saying: you falang have money but no life, we Thai have life but no money, which would you chose George, I know which one I have chosen, a little late, but better than never.

• Like 1
On 8/27/2016 at 5:21 PM, Old Croc said:

I'm 68, but have never applied for the OAP. I would only get a partial pension, if any, as I would possibly fail the income test.  Immaterial anyway, because I'm not going to sit in Australia for two years to make the small amount I might receive, portable.

I live on my Comsuper pension and other investments. I'm very happy to have nothing to do with Centrelink and am independent of Medicare even though I help pay for it's upkeep..

When I came into this thread I thought the current discussion was about ATO's new tax rates for people they deem to be non-residents (Tax at 32.5% for Australian sourced income).  Several accountants have told me that, if I want to spend my retirement overseas, I would have to pay this rate on my work superannuation pension. This was gained through 30+ years working for the country in, at times, a very dangerous environment.  

I consider it to be grossly unfair that they want to take nearly a third of my work  pension in taxes while the OAP is untaxed  and can become portable. I've closely perused the Australian-Thai tax agreement and it specifies that my type of pension must come under the Australian tax regime even though I am classified as a non-resident. 

If any posters have any input on situations like mine I would be happy to hear from you.

Incidentally, in reference to some earlier posts, I had two hip replacements in Australia and every cent was covered by my private health supplier.

If you have a residence in Australia and if you have comsuper and other income from within Australia(ie shares for example) and dont have a permanent residence overseas, you can remain an Australian for Tax purposes, here is a link https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/ however any money you earn overseas maybe taxed in Oz.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Bob9 said:

OK we agree to disagree.

But like me, many people who have 'earned' the pension feel it is wrong to deny it to Australian citizens who have qualified just because they dont live in Aust - but at the same time allow those that are living in Aust to take it overseas once they qualify - that is the issue.  Let me explain - George1 lives/works in Australia for over 40 years and gets the age pension at 65 and then leaves for Thailand 1 month later - no problem. George2 lives/works in Australia for over 40 years and 1 month before he gets the age pension he leaves for Thailand - his application is denied and he has to come back and live in Aust for 2 years to re-qualify. So, how will they resolve this in the future? Fairly and in a balanced manner? Hell no!! They will do the easy thing and deny ALL people the right to get the pension while they are overseas - not something like I previously suggested.  

People are complaining about Aust and criticising it George, because it has become so unfair and aint what it used to be. And it has become that way because of too many people bludging off the system all/most of their lives - including politicians and many recent immigrants (under 20 years) but mainly it is low-life aholes who are 2nd and 3rd generation dole bludgers living in free housing and with heaps of other social welfare benefits. And that is why so many illegal immigrants are scamming to get into Aust (via boats etc) - NOT to make it and themselves better - but to get the free social welfare and free medical and free education etc etc etc. And the Govt's solution to this ever growing 'black hole' in their Budget is to punish those of us who have worked and paid taxes for 40 years!! That is why many people are unhappy with and slag off Australia George. That and the cost to live there now, because of all the extra taxes to pay for what is per capita the biggest welfare system black hole in the world - bar none.

Yanks have no idea - Poms have a bit of an idea. Aussies know all about it and have had a gutful. Australia is rated number 12 in world as most expensive country to live (Numeo) - but let me tell you having been to many countries I can tell you it is actually even closer to number one if you own your own home and only compare the costs of everything else. But if you live in Sydney it is like Japan/Sweden. It is only because the housing costs in Dubbo and many many other small remote country towns offset the huge costs in Sydney (and then Melb), that Australia is not pushing for the number one spot - guaranteed. 

And all that was not the case 20-30 years ago George - Aust was not in the top 50 and we WERE the lucky country.  What was once a great country and easy to live in, is being slowly strangled to death - economically and socially. That is why I and many many other blokes came to retire here - once there is no self-centred ball-breaking bitch holding us back, and the/any kids are old enough to look after themselves.

You hit the nail on the head !!!!!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

If you have a residence in Australia and if you have comsuper and other income from within Australia(ie shares for example) and dont have a permanent residence overseas, you can remain an Australian for Tax purposes, here is a link https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/ however any money you earn overseas maybe taxed in Oz.

I believe the information you are providing might be a little out of wack.

Having read many many court cases, it would appear cut and dry, if you live outside of Australia for 183 days in a financial year you are up the creek, see below from your link:

leave Australia permanently

treated as a foreign resident for tax purposes from the date of your departure

19 hours ago, georgemandm said:

From Bob9's previous reply

Tell me why did you come here for ?.

if not for thai pussy ?. 

Like I say and it is the truth most man come here for the thai pussy and you know I am 100% right.

Me again George

I came here with a mate 10 years ago for a holiday, not for pussy, he even said to me on the plane he wasn't going to put any numbers on the board, I said I 2nd that, then I met my wife of 10 years now, couldn't be happier and seeing the country for what it is from far south to the far north-east, I think if you had a Thai partner in your life George you would probably appreciate Thailand a bit more, if you have been bitten as 20% of Aussies have like Bob9 said, you just got to get back on the horse, but change your riding style, because no one is getting through to you regarding this topic, and your entitled to your opinion, and I appreciate change is hard.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Apologies to the OP  for being partially responsible for high jacking this thread

Ok Georgie I usually dont pick up generalisations, but as you have called me and others so many names I will make an exception.

Unless you live in a cave(we know you dont as you told us otherwise), can ya break down your $400 a week for me, please include pro rata, Rates, Water, Electricity, Health Insurance, Car Rego, Car Insurance, petrol, car maintenance, House Insurance, internet cost and normal cost of living such as entertainment etc and lastly food and drink.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Apologies to the OP  for being partially responsible for high jacking this thread

Ok Georgie I usually dont pick up generalisations, but as you have called me and others so many names I will make an exception.

Unless you live in a cave(we know you dont as you told us otherwise), can ya break down your $400 a week for me, please include pro rata, Rates, Water, Electricity, Health Insurance, Car Rego, Car Insurance, petrol, car maintenance, House Insurance, internet cost and normal cost of living such as entertainment etc and lastly food and drink.

Thanks in advance.

Come on your talking Australia and Melbourne in particular, easy to spend $400 a week....

Land Rates, water rates, phone/net, electricity, gas, car insurance i have 2, house building and content insurance, mobile phone, petrol for your car, food on average min of $100 a week without take away or eating out.

There just the basic's you need except i have an extra car, you could have private health cover and life insurance to go on top, then you have car service at least 2 a year.

My gas bill came in at $600 for the coldest months of july August, central heating broke down for 3 days cost be $300 for repairs you wouldn't want those sorts of things to happen to often, then replacing items, earlier this year a new washing machine $1000 for a discounted front loader I'm up for a new fridge any time soon another $2000, if not sooner it comes later to budget $400 a week in AU is actually light on......

• Like 2
On 27/08/2016 at 8:21 PM, Old Croc said:

I'm 68, but have never applied for the OAP. I would only get a partial pension, if any, as I would possibly fail the income test.  Immaterial anyway, because I'm not going to sit in Australia for two years to make the small amount I might receive, portable.

I live on my Comsuper pension and other investments. I'm very happy to have nothing to do with Centrelink and am independent of Medicare even though I help pay for it's upkeep..

When I came into this thread I thought the current discussion was about ATO's new tax rates for people they deem to be non-residents (Tax at 32.5% for Australian sourced income).  Several accountants have told me that, if I want to spend my retirement overseas, I would have to pay this rate on my work superannuation pension. This was gained through 30+ years working for the country in, at times, a very dangerous environment.  

I consider it to be grossly unfair that they want to take nearly a third of my work  pension in taxes while the OAP is untaxed  and can become portable. I've closely perused the Australian-Thai tax agreement and it specifies that my type of pension must come under the Australian tax regime even though I am classified as a non-resident. 

If any posters have any input on situations like mine I would be happy to hear from you.

Incidentally, in reference to some earlier posts, I had two hip replacements in Australia and every cent was covered by my private health supplier.

My advise to you would be to go underwater old croc, meaning I agree with what your saying about this so called hypocrisy that because we chose to live abroad, not only do we miss out on the OAP unless we return for 2 years, then it gets reduced when we go back, they also want to stick it to us on our super, assuming you are drawing down on it monthly.

I don't know your full situation, but shares are not taxed (fully franked) so if you have shares your ok, and if your lucky enough for them to go up in value (no capital gains tax), if you have money in term deposit accounts its 10% withholding tax on the interest, forget property/rent as they don't want you to own property as a non resident and will slug you 32.5c for every dollar and FULL capital gains tax from the date you departed Australia, retrospectively !

I believe that as you have reached your preservation age, actually you are over it at 68, would suggest you look at taking it as a lump sum as there shouldn't be any tax payable on it that way, I am waiting for 4 years because I am told at 60 there is no tax payable, but if I take it as an income stream there is tax payable.

Hope this advise helps your cause.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4MyEgo, sorry cant quote you, a bloody George post keeps popping in.

One very important word you sent "Permanent", I have a permanent residence in Australia and I dont in Thailand, I have other income in Australia and I dont in Thailand, I have my Super still in Australia, I have shares and trade them regularly in Australia. Plus I was there for 1 day last year on 2 occasions on my way to NZ(that bit isnt important). So yes Im quite easily a tax resident as I havent left permanently. 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe the information you are providing might be a little out of wack.

Having read many many court cases, it would appear cut and dry, if you live outside of Australia for 183 days in a financial year you are up the creek, see below from your link:

leave Australia permanently

treated as a foreign resident for tax purposes from the date of your departure

It's not that clear cut. I spend about 30-40 days per year in Australia, I don't have a home there, my only residence is in Thailand at which I spend most of my time. I pass the on-line test as a non-resident for tax purposes yet I am a resident for tax purposes on the basis that the ATO doesn't consider Thailand my home because I don't spend enough time there (I travel a lot) and my trips to Australia are too numerous (even though very short in length).

• Like 1

I'm having trouble with the quote system here too.

Thanks Billy and 4myego.

I have an address in Australia and have been paying private health insurance.

I still state I am a resident there, based on the definitions of permanent abode and normal domicile. I wouldn't like to test my case in court.

I don't have the option of taking my balance out of Comsuper now. I took the pension and lump sum option when I retired, I can't change now. I don't work overseas.

Another poster on the forum, in the same position, once rang ATO to enquire and was told to lodge as a resident. That verbal ruling is posted in their computers. I'm not game to do the same in case the outcome is different and I have then put my head up.

I just ask the question here when a new thread opens up in case any members have new information.

There is an old thread called Australian Pensions (or similar),  hidden somewhere in the archives here, where questions on OAP, Disability and Superannuation, have been raised and debated at length. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, wprime said:

It's not that clear cut. I spend about 30-40 days per year in Australia, I don't have a home there, my only residence is in Thailand at which I spend most of my time. I pass the on-line test as a non-resident for tax purposes yet I am a resident for tax purposes on the basis that the ATO doesn't consider Thailand my home because I don't spend enough time there (I travel a lot) and my trips to Australia are too numerous (even though very short in length).

Sounds like you have covered yourself well

39 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I'm having trouble with the quote system here too.

Thanks Billy and 4myego.

I have an address in Australia and have been paying private health insurance.

I still state I am a resident there, based on the definitions of permanent abode and normal domicile. I wouldn't like to test my case in court.

I don't have the option of taking my balance out of Comsuper now. I took the pension and lump sum option when I retired, I can't change now. I don't work overseas.

Another poster on the forum, in the same position, once rang ATO to enquire and was told to lodge as a resident. That verbal ruling is posted in their computers. I'm not game to do the same in case the outcome is different and I have then put my head up.

I just ask the question here when a new thread opens up in case any members have new information.

There is an old thread called Australian Pensions (or similar),  hidden somewhere in the archives here, where questions on OAP, Disability and Superannuation, have been raised and debated at length. 

The whole system if ridiculous, to the left you have the old age pension, you want it, you have to return for 2 years, "that's it, take it or leave it", as for being a non resident there are about 4 different ways to either be or not be a foreign resident, this should only apply if you are working overseas and making bacon back in Australia, so that your not milking the cow and extracting the $'s overseas.

For retirees this should not apply, example, if I decide to leave my money in the bank in Australia and earn interest, ok 10% fine, shares, tax already paid (fully franked), but property/rent is a no, no, if its not your principal place of residency, why couldn't they just leave it as tax under the Australian tax system, they would get more IMO