Do you cook and clean for yourself? Can you?

JJGreen

I can and have... at University I cooked for myself, Washed & Ironed my clothes and took the share in cleaning our house... 

More recently I've thrown clothes in the washing machine, Ironed a single shirt if urgently needed and its on the ironing pile... 

But realistically - I don't do any of this any more... We have a live in Maid who does our Washing Ironing and Cleaning... 

My Wife enjoys cooking... 

So... in answer to the OP's question. I can do all of these tasks and I can do them well. However, in the past I have done them because I have had to.... Now I have the luxury of being able to choose not to.

With regards to car stuff - with my first car at age 17... I did lots myself (from Changing breaks, Oil filters, timing chain (once), spark plugs etc)... but these days cars are much higher tech and come with free servicing... hence the car gets sent into the Garage... 

A few years ago my Car had a blowout - I changed out the wheel.. I was dirty, hot and sweaty afterwards.. I'd have happily paid someone else to do that too !!!!... 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I choose to live alone, so naturally I can do all of that domestic stuff. In my former corporate life I used to iron my shirts too because I was better at it than the (then) wife. I no longer iron anything :)

20 hours ago, transam said:

OP,  does your bird ever change the oil and filter on your ride, check tyre pressures etc...?

Mine does not.

But then, neither do I. 

Shell boys/girls do it all for me. 

This is another thing that is cheaper and easier to outsource than do myself. I supervise and ensure quality. I do the same with tires. Seems tires here (and batteries) fail at an unusually faster rate than other climates / locations. 

I can cook and clean and care for myself. Did so as a bachelor in other locations for decades. My wife knows much less about cleaning anything than anyone I have ever known. Thank god it was not a reason I married her. 

We outsource most of that stuff - maid and restaurants nearby. 

When I was in the UK, I could cook, clean, do laundry, iron, sew, complete an oil change, take car of vehicle maintenance and all that as a 16 year old before I joined the army. Times have changed a great deal since those days. As I matured, married, moved up the promotional chain in the mob and became more financially secure, I delegated a lot of those chores to others.

After 30+ years in Asia I don't do things myself that often take too much time that locals can do in much less time. Example, I spent 3 weeks looking for a rental house with no luck. One of the guys working for me saw I was frustrated and asked if he could help. (BTW, I'm in Cambodia not TL;)). Long story short, within 1 hour he had found just what I was looking for and negotiated a discount on the rental. I viewed the property, signed the contract the next day and moved in 2 weeks later. With everything I need I ask for his help, which he gives and asks for nothing. I give him an envelope containing my thank you at Khmer New Year, Pchum Ben and Xmas each year, whether he has helped me or not. I also give him petrol money for every task, even though he always says no need.

If I had to I could revert to my teenage years, but getting things done quickly and efficiently is a win win situation as he gets a top up to his salary. I have had similar assistance in HK, China, Vietnam and PI.

I like cooking and do it most of the time.  I cook healthy food and the portions I want.  Eat out about once a week, usually a lunch with friends.   I don't like cleaning and used to have a cleaner come in once a week.  As the weeks would go by they would get lazier and lazier; the house dirtier and dirtier.  Got tired of following them around and telling them what to do.  Eventually I just started doing it myself.  A lick and a swipe every day or so and then a thorough cleaning once or twice a month.  I do my own clothes washing and ironing.  I think I do a better job.  I don't change my oil but I do most of the minor car repairs and maintenance as I have the skills and the tools.  I have a local car shop for oil changes and minor repairs I am not qualified for and a shop in Phuket town for major stuff.   The minor guy said I needed a new transmission; the major guy said, "Nah" and just replaced the oil cooler. 

I am retired.  I have plenty of time.

Been doing it most of my life. I don't enjoy ironing but I do a much better job of it than any of my local laundries so it's easier just to do it myself.

I love my own cooking because I love how it tastes and I know what's in it (more importantly, I also know what's NOT in it) and I haven't found any restaurant that can do good mince and tatties :-)

JJGreen,

It seems you are always jumping to conclusions without thinking, reading or listening. Where in your mind do you generate the thought that not doing something and not knowing how to do that same thing are synonymous?

I am that guy on the other thread to whom you refer. I tired of your banal responses and allowed you the last post. Here are those last posts:

Smotherb said, “You simply never tire of being wrong. You actually think I do not know how to wash clothes?  Have a good day Green.”

JJGreen said, “You said you dont do washing and you never have.
Now you change the story?”

Your legs must have gotten tired with that leap.

I have never done my own washing. I do not think it a noble goal to do such a humdrum task by yourself, something which most anyone can do. I have always been able to engineer it done for me.

In similar manner, I have handled other mundane chores. 

However, allow me to repeat it so you can stay focused and not be further confused; just because you do not do something doesn’t mean you cannot do it. It’s called being smarter than the problem.

You also ask about cooking and cleaning. Cleaning house is perhaps even more ordinary and less demanding than washing clothes. Do you really think anyone not physically encumbered cannot clean a house?

Cooking is a different story, it does take some skill, but any rational person ought to be able to manage the basics. I was a latch-key kid, I made my own breakfast and school lunch starting in first grade, age six. By eight, I was fixing dinner for my parents. Cereal, sandwiches, and TV dinners were the brunt of my early culinary output, but I learned.

I prefer to have things done for me, especially those things I do not want to do. I feel for those of you who cannot manage your lives well enough to avoid such tasks.   

JJGreen,

It seems you are always jumping to conclusions without thinking, reading or listening. Where in your mind do you generate the thought that not doing something and not knowing how to do that same thing are synonymous?

I am that guy on the other thread to whom you refer. I tired of your banal responses and allowed you the last post. Here are those last posts:

Smotherb said, “You simply never tire of being wrong. You actually think I do not know how to wash clothes?  Have a good day Green.”

JJGreen said, “You said you dont do washing and you never have.
Now you change the story?”

Your legs must have gotten tired with that leap.

I have never done my own washing. I do not think it a noble goal to do such a humdrum task by yourself, something which most anyone can do. I have always been able to engineer it done for me.

In similar manner, I have handled other mundane chores. 

However, allow me to repeat it so you can stay focused and not be further confused; just because you do not do something doesn’t mean you cannot do it. It’s called being smarter than the problem.

You also ask about cooking and cleaning. Cleaning house is perhaps even more ordinary and less demanding than washing clothes. Do you really think anyone not physically encumbered cannot clean a house?

Cooking is a different story, it does take some skill, but any rational person ought to be able to manage the basics. I was a latch-key kid, I made my own breakfast and school lunch starting in first grade, age six. By eight, I was fixing dinner for my parents. Cereal, sandwiches, and TV dinners were the brunt of my early culinary output, but I learned.

I prefer to have things done for me, especially those things I do not want to do. I feel for those of you who cannot manage your lives well enough to avoid such tasks.   

Okay...so u have never washed your own clothes...your entire life?

16 hours ago, transam said:

You are a hi-so then

Not really relevant to my steakon topic questions for most of us.......:P

"Not really relevant to my on topic...." Well that's relieve, as if it was a relevant topic to you, it would take a month of Sundays to get through. As for the rest of us, we can make our own minds up as to relevant topic.

Oh, congratulations on being able to put air and water etc in your car....even on an empty stomach.

..Willma, Wlilma, I'm home Willma.......where my dinosaur steak, Willma".

I can cook most things (although I leave Thai cooking to the Thais) laundry and ironing? No problem, in fact I used to quite enjoy the ironing part. Housework? A walk in the park.

Do I do any of the above in Thailand? No, because I have never been able to obtain the appropriate work permit.....shame, my pasta puttanesca was something else. Ho hum....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Just now, JJGreen said:

I understood... just difficult to accept in my brain that a man of your age has never done the task...not once in 70 (?) Years.

I am afraid there a far too many things which may be difficult for your brain to accept.

I am 71, so thank you for giving me that first year of not having to do my own diapers.

As a child, my mother did my laundry. When I went to college, the school had a laundry. When I went to Vietnam, the hotels, BOQs, then government housing had maids which did the laundry. My other overseas assignments were always family accompanied and housing provided, when I was not married, I had a maid. When married or with live-in, my lady did the laundry. And, when sleeping alone, which I've rarely done, I had a maid or found a laundry/wash/fold next to a bar.  It is simple really.

22 hours ago, transam said:

OP,  does your bird ever change the oil and filter on your ride, check tyre pressures etc...?

I have a couple of goldfish but they're not good at ironing. Perhaps I should get a bird to take care of me. Would you recommend any particular species? Perhaps a budgie?

I have a couple of goldfish but they're not good at ironing. Perhaps I should get a bird to take care of me. Would you recommend any particular species? Perhaps a budgie?

African Grey parrots have a long lifespan and good memories

Billd766.

i have to agree with you.

I only did 2 years but it taught me a lot. I was also a single parent for some years and i had to do all that for my daughter as she was growing up.Cooking,cleaning,ironing,clothes washing,making beds (its easier these days with duvet's) sewing and all house hold chores become part of a routine.You just get used to it.But if i was alone,i could quite easily cope with it.

Hey billd,can you still make your bed and bounce a (ten pence piece now,or ten baht) two bob bit on it?:D

12 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

ironing is overrated…how many times have you thrown on a shirt only to see it develop wrinkles within 5 minute of waving your arms to flag down a songthaew?

Best to wear it fresh out off the clothesline, still smelling of Comfort, and let it adhere to the natural lines of your torso.

Microfibre is your friend.

55 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

The great crested tit would seem to be what you need.

If I attempt to do any cooking, cleaning or even put my socks on, my Thai GF gets upset because I'm removing her pleasure in doing something for me.

Yes, I can do it all but I don't because I'm soft-hearted.

31 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Billd766.

i have to agree with you.

I only did 2 years but it taught me a lot. I was also a single parent for some years and i had to do all that for my daughter as she was growing up.Cooking,cleaning,ironing,clothes washing,making beds (its easier these days with duvet's) sewing and all house hold chores become part of a routine.You just get used to it.But if i was alone,i could quite easily cope with it.

Hey billd,can you still make your bed and bounce a (ten pence piece now,or ten baht) two bob bit on it?:D

I used to be able to but here I just have the mattress and top sheet so it is easy.

Do any of these ring a bell?

Duraglit_edited.jpg

Everything in it's place_edited.jpg

its_locker_glander.jpg

Kiwi Boot Polish_edited.jpg

RAF_Mug_edited.jpg

Remember this stuff Blanco.jpg

The Dreaded Kit Layout_edited.jpg

I have never been a man's man as there called who belive a women's role in life should be washing cleaning kids and sex when needed. 

From being able to stand I was taught all the skills I would need for my life from cleaning/washing/sewing. I didn't even know in those days a man was not supposed to cook my dad did all the cooking/cleaning/washing everything in the house. Mom went out to work, no

my dad wasn't on the dole he was a village Bobby we lived in village police house hence apart from his daily beat around the village he was home.

So in answer to your question  there is only one thing I can't do and that's get pregnant.