Cashing U.S. check

What exchange rate is given when depositing a U.S. check? Is it the cash rate, or the TT rate? Is there a separate rate for checks? What is the maximum U.S. check allowed to be deposited into a bank account?

Edited by olu
I am not sure which rate is used for checks

It's the Sight Bill/Cheque Rate which is usually 0.1 baht lower than the TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers.   Keep in mind there will be at least a $10/approx Bt350 fee to cash the check and it will probably take 3 to 6 weeks to clear/funds be posted to your account.  Don't know about a max amount per check...best to check with the bank/branch you plan to use...based on other posts over the years it seems individual branches can be all over the map regarding "if" they will cash a check and what kind of check they will accept.

Edited by Pib

On 8/29/2016 at 9:25 AM, Pib said:

It's the Sight Bill/Cheque Rate which is usually 0.1 baht lower than the TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers.   Keep in mind there will be at least a $10/approx Bt350 fee to cash the check and it will probably take 3 to 6 weeks to clear/funds be posted to your account.  Don't know about a max amount per check...best to check with the bank/branch you plan to use...based on other posts over the years it seems individual branches can be all over the map regarding "if" they will cash a check and what kind of check they will accept.

This is 100% correct and I will add at least at krungsri (yellow bank) they might nip a deposit debited to your account until the check clears, my experience is around 3,000THB which is returned when the check clears. Also, 3-6 weeks is correct.