John Lennon's killer Mark Chapman denied parole for the 9th time

webfact

Parole denied for the 9th time for John Lennon's killer 
DAVID KLEPPER, Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — John Lennon's killer will remain behind bars after being denied parole for the ninth time.

The New York state Board of Parole on Monday announced that it has again denied parole to Mark David Chapman, who on Dec. 8, 1980, shot and killed the former Beatle outside his luxury Manhattan apartment.

The 61-year-old Chapman pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and is serving a sentence of 20-years to life in Wende Correctional Facility in western New York.

In a description of its decision, the parole board noted that Chapman has since described the murder as "selfish and evil." The board concluded that the factors supporting Chapman's parole were outweighed by the premediated and "celebrity-seeking" nature of the crime.

"Your release would be incompatible with the welfare of society and would so deprecate that seriousness of the crime as to undermine respect for the law," the board wrote.

Chapman was notified of the board's decision last week. He was last denied parole in 2014, and will be eligible to seek parole again in 2018.

In his 2014 parole hearing, Chapman told the board that he still gets letters about the pain he caused in his pursuit of notoriety.

"I am sorry for causing that type of pain," he said. "I am sorry for being such an idiot and choosing the wrong way for glory."

At a 2010 hearing, Chapman recalled that he had considered shooting Johnny Carson or Elizabeth Taylor instead, and said again that he chose Lennon because the ex-Beatle was more accessible, that his century-old apartment building by Central Park "wasn't quite as cloistered."

The transcript of his latest hearing wasn't immediately released.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-30

Can't believe his Mrs has stuck by him all these years.

One a month he gets a visit from her and they bonk and make pizzas because Mark loves pizzas.

The wife also believes Yoko and them could be really good friends.

Shes just as nutty as him. He robbed the world of one of its great talents and should never see the light of day let alone allowed any privileges the scumbag.

24 minutes ago, jacksam said:

36 years seems a long time for second degree murder (think that was the charge) 

I like the way USA give long sentences. Same crime in some countries and most likely be out in 15

I suspect it has more to do with the victim than a simple application of the law.

Does one life have more value than another? I can understand killing of children and perhaps law enforcement officers etc being viewed more harshly. 

Lennon gave us all so much its understandable people wish him never released. 

Some members may wish to Google Dr Victor Chang. He was voted Australian of the century. His murderer who shot him twice in the head served 21 years. He was actually released on parole some time earlier than 21 years but due to public outcry was returned to prison

Edited by jacksam

I wish for MDC to get parole and, just before he is released, suffers an agonising, debilitating, incurable and untreatable disease that lasts for a few years before he dies in complete and utter agony.

"Instant karma's gonna get you, gonna knock you off your feet...."

The legacy and music live on.

17 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

No sympathy, but I can't help wondering if the law is being applied consistently. How long do people normally serve for one murder?

In many states...they serve with their lives. Which btw, is what this prick deserves. The 2nd degree charge was a plea bargain, as the piece of shit is insane and the defense was ready to defend him as such...not guilty by reason of insanity. Psychotic and delusional. The murderer changed his plea himself...not at the behest of his attorneys...as "god" told him to enter the guilty plea.

18 hours ago, jacksam said:

I like the way USA give long sentences. Same crime in some countries and most likely be out in 15

It was cold-blooded First Degree Murder with witnesses and the guilty piece of shit never left the scene. He admitted to shooting Lennon with .38 hollow points...to assure Lennon's death. It seems that 1st degree murder only applies if the victim is a law enforcement officer. Talk about inequality and discrimination! :redcard1:

Interesting reading: http://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/12/23/Mark-David-Chapman-was-indicted-by-a-Manhattan-grand/2911346395600/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_David_Chapman

22 hours ago, jacksam said:

same crime in USA and you'd be out in 15 IF it wasn't a celebrity you shot.

I am not talking about this particular murder---yes-the guy was so talented & such a loss, & the shooting ---like so many, was so senseless.

But taking the question of keeping people in prison forever. Can have 2 negatives--1/ What do they have to lose--what does it matter what they do re violence to staff or others? they can only be punished with solitary confinement, & in some documentaries that I have watched  many prisoners stated they prefer that to being 3 in a cell.

2/The other situation is that what you are ending up with is old folks homes, where many need constant medical attention---have to have their nappies changed  2-3 times a day, some have complete dementia ---remorse for  their crime?- they cant even remember their own name. You could leave the doors unlocked, as many can not walk without the aid of a Zimmer frame or at all. Steps---stairs are out----the cost of looking after an impaired inmate can be up to 3-4 times as much as a normal one.

Sounds real good when some Texas Judge gives someone 170 years, the people will probably re-elect him, his real tough on crime, in reality its another headache in the making.

I have another angle, as to why he should be a Lifer:

He killed one person, but he Conspired the killing of up to three different people; JL being the one he finally chose.

Conspiracy, even to steal a pencil, is still Conspiracy - and that means he goes down - big time!!

Conspiracy = 2 perps (he and his nutty wife were both in on it? )   - well that's my theory anyway...

Edited by tifino