British Embassy quietly trying to sell their downtown home for THB18 billion

snoop1130

British Embassy quietly trying to sell their downtown home for THB18 billion

By Coconuts Bangkok

brit1.jpg

The British Embassy from above. Photo: Aey SrirathSomsawat/Facebook

Most expats are familiar with the British Embassy on Wireless Road in Ploenchit. The gracious old buildings have been the setting for many a British garden party and get-together over the years.

Now, the Brits seem to be quietly trying to sell the 23-rai (9-acre) parcel of land to developers for more than THB18 billion through Thai property agent CBRE, reported Bangkok Post.

It’s a great downtown location and the price isn’t that surprising since a parcel nearby recently sold for THB1.91 million per square wah (43 square feet) by SC Asset Corporation Plc.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/30/british-embassy-quietly-trying-sell-their-downtown-home-thb18-billion

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-30

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I put it down to Brexit...the Brits seem to be feeling under the sofa cushions for any loose change it seems.

It's really a shame as like the article says, this site (before the Central Embassy carbuncle) was a gracious bit of old British Raj in Bangkok. I'm just glad that when I lived in Bangkok for a few years at the turn of the Millennium, I was able to attend a few Ploenchit Fairs, ambassordor's open houses and teas, and Armistice Day rememberances, with Ole Queen Vic, at the embassy.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Definitely a shame to lose 9 acres of green in the middle of BKK.

It's is not like the city needs yet another [deleted] giant building to buy crap nobody really needs.

Trees and green space, on the other hand, will sadly never come back.

Edited by denkiblue555

I'm puzzled by this sale.

Does it mean the British Embassy is the owner of that land?

When land is given to a foreign country to establish its embassy, it is land that effectively becomes full property of a foreign government and it can then be sold?

what is the process of getting new land for a new embassy?

No one has mentioned it, so once again I am doubting my sanity, but didn't this topic first hit the news several weeks ago?  Not that I am blaming tv of course, but there seems  to be a certain regurgitation on 'news' sites lately?

1 minute ago, Slip said:

No one has mentioned it, so once again I am doubting my sanity, but didn't this topic first hit the news several weeks ago?  Not that I am blaming tv of course, but there seems  to be a certain regurgitation on 'news' sites lately?

maybe coconuts is using one of these news re-posting modules of wordpress...

1 hour ago, baboon said:

They might as well sell up and move to a cubby hole on the outskirts of town for all the use they are...

They might as well sell up and move to a cubby hole on the outskirts of town for all the use they are..

When I first came to Thailand in the early 70s..

Newly married Thai couples would visit the Embassy gardens, to make an offering to the statue of Queen Victoria.

It was widely believed that the good Queen who bore 9 children , would bestow fertility on their marriage.

It’s a great downtown location and the price isn’t that surprising since a parcel nearby recently sold for THB1.91 million per square wah (43 square feet) by SC Asset Corporation Plc.

"Hope the anti money laundering committee doesn't read coconuts" says Yingluck with her fingers crossed.
5228974_f496.jpg

Actually the sale is down to the UK government and its Foreign and Commonwealth department. I would hope that there is some future plan to use another site and carry on with doing what little they do for the average Brit such as letters etc.

Brit Govt needs the money to pay for all the freeloaders, reffos, EU bank bailouts and fat cat gold plated civil service pensions.. Our history and nation being destroyed from within by the greedy and the feckless.

7 hours ago, manarak said:

I'm puzzled by this sale.

Does it mean the British Embassy is the owner of that land?

When land is given to a foreign country to establish its embassy, it is land that effectively becomes full property of a foreign government and it can then be sold?

Yes.

Edited by gdgbb

12 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I put it down to Brexit...the Brits seem to be feeling under the sofa cushions for any loose change it seems.

It's really a shame as like the article says, this site (before the Central Embassy carbuncle) was a gracious bit of old British Raj in Bangkok. I'm just glad that when I lived in Bangkok for a few years at the turn of the Millennium, I was able to attend a few Ploenchit Fairs, ambassordor's open houses and teas, and Armistice Day rememberances, with Ole Queen Vic, at the embassy.

I would think that this was something planned long before the Referendum.

Is there any country in history that has been asset-stripped as the UK has been recent years!? We don't even own our own drinking water!

A few years ago I heard that the British Embassies in Washington & Paris were up for sale, probably still are. I suspect that this was partly due 

to the fact that in coming years an EU Embassy will replace EU nations' embassies (except Germany, maybe!).

Edited by Andrew65

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Brit Govt needs the money to pay for all the freeloaders, reffos, EU bank bailouts and fat cat gold plated civil service pensions.. Our history and nation being destroyed from within by the greedy and the feckless.

No they don't . What's 400 M GBP when your printing money like the rest of the central banks.

13 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

It would make sense to sell and repatriate the money while the £ is so weakened.