80 Year Old British Driver Crashes into Lighthouse Chef

webfact

80 Year Old Driver Crashes into Lighthouse Chef

Report from Pattaya One News Team

pat77.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 1.30pm, on the afternoon of August 30, Sawang Boriboon medics attended an accident on the Sukhumvit Road, opposite the Post Office.

A pickup truck had collided with a motorcycle.

The rider, thirty-one-year-old Mr Decha Ekalap, a chef at the Lighthouse on Bali Hai Pier, was treated for injuries and taken to Banglamung Hospital.

His motorcycle was embedded behind the front wheel of a dark blue Isuzu D-Max.

The driver, Mr Eric Clifford Fowler, an eighty-year-old British national

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/231023/80-year-old-driver-crashes-lighthouse-chef/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-08-31

17 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

Dont check dead angle, check

Don't accelerate before switching into the fast lane, check

Cross 3 lane with your eyes closed, check

give this man his citizenship already.

i agree. where that pickup has stopped is only about 10 metres from the Post Office exit, and look at the angle he is at. The bike may have been going fast, but that is no excuse as the pickup shouldn't have pulled out like that.

12 minutes ago, Mackstask said:

Looks like the silly old c**t pulled out without looking.

Just like the scooters do...sadly...

Edit: I drive that part of Suk all the time.  The scooters go flying past you even if you've got your signal on and are changing lanes.  To impatient to slow down and go on the left side.  Happened to me today.  No helmet, no turn indicators, just overtook on my right as I was moving into the right lane.  Close call....

Edited by craigt3365

i would blame the Thai guy.

as there are no good  Thai ,  Riders / drivers in Pattaya.

They all do stupid stuff,   if not today, they would have done it yesterday.

Reckon the Thai rider just swooped across the lane as he missed his turning and

this has happened.

But the falang will get the blame as usual, 

so it dont matter,  who did what. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Are you serious? I wouldn't like to be around any 80yr old drivers.

80 year old falang driver over Thai driver or rider

i would put my money on the falang

62 a day dead in Thailand every day says ,   good bet to me

Stupid is as stupid does . :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Edit: I drive that part of Suk all the time.  The scooters go flying past you even if you've got your signal on and are changing lanes.  To impatient to slow down and go on the left side.  Happened to me today.  No helmet, no turn indicators, just overtook on my right as I was moving into the right lane.  Close call....

Unusual they are overtaking on the right, which is correct.  Let them pass before manoeuvring. I am sure a lot of bike riders feel large vehicles pull out in front of them without giving way or simply using 'might is right'.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Unusual they are overtaking on the right, which is correct.  Let them pass before manoeuvring. I am sure a lot of bike riders feel large vehicles pull out in front of them without giving way or simply using 'might is right'.

100% agreed!  Sadly, when moving over, you look in your right mirror and all looks clear.  Then all of a sudden, they're overtaking you in a small gap between your car and the curb!  To the left, more are driving down the center line.  Crazy drivers...many with no helmets! LOL

By the looks of it, the bike crashed into the 80 yo farang, but of course it wouldn't have happened if the farang would have paid just a bit more attention. 

Thai traffic (written or un-written) is pretty easy: If someone crashes into another, they're at fault. That's the reason, that most drivers croach bit by bit into other lanes. It gives the other road-users the chance to respond accordingly, meaning: throw out anchors or swerve around the obstacle. 

The farang in this case didn't really "croach"; he threw his vehicle from the utmost left to the utmost right and why? The next U-turn is pretty far away. 

My old man in his mid 70's persisted in driving until he had created three accidents in a couple of months, in the final accident the old fool nearly killed a family. Finally he realised he was not fit to be behind a steering wheel.

I hope that I will be able to recognise if I have any issues and voluntarily give up driving.

3 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

My old man in his mid 70's persisted in driving until he had created three accidents in a couple of months, in the final accident the old fool nearly killed a family. Finally he realised he was not fit to be behind a steering wheel.

I hope that I will be able to recognise if I have any issues and voluntarily give up driving.

You would be the very first in the history of humankind.

42 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

Motorbike hit the car 

Yep.

and not vice versa like the stupid report title suggests:

80 Year Old Driver Crashes into Lighthouse Chef

From the picture:

I assume the pickup and other cars parked on the driveways (2nd lane?).

Driver has a vehicle in front to get around.

There is plenty of space remaining on the right for the motorbike to avoid the crash. The pickup didn't come out of nowhere like a flash out of blue sky?

It's completely unacceptable to blame the pickup driver alone.

What is totally unknown in Thailand: passive driving, forward-looking driving.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just hope the old guy has a Class A issuance on the truck and he don't have to worry too much about it.

2 bikes collided with each other and hit my legally parked truck outside a small local restaurant and the police wanted our insurance to pay.

I was not there when it happened but my wife called the insurance and he sorted it out (we didn't have to pay, but they did for damage to the truck).

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hang him high!! Must be the English mans fault.

Big story about his age, what the hell has his age got to do with it.

He's British. In the UK after reaching a certain age he would have to undergo appropriate regular checks to keep his driving license.

Is that the case here? 

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I know that rider as he got me in a similar situation yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that and......................

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

He's British. In the UK after reaching a certain age he would have to undergo appropriate regular checks to keep his driving license.

Is that the case here? 

In the uk you have to pass a test for a license and can't do an under table deal

8 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Its a shame most thais dont recognise that after the 1st day behind a steering wheel....