Saga of the tabien ban (Yellow book).

10 hours ago, swissie said:

The yellow "Tabien Baan" is useful, when it comes to acquire a Thai Drivers License. Otherwise it is of no further beneficial use for a Farang. Especially is it of no benefit, when the goal is to secure some "property-rights".

Cheers. 

i was going to ask what good it is and why some one would go through all that hassle. if it is only good to use as proof of address then i cant see the point.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen
spelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've managed to live here for nearly 25 years without it, and your experience doesn't encourage me to change that.

It would be useful now that Chiang Mai Immigration are refusing to issue Certificates of Residence (CoR).

Next time I need one is Oct 2017 to renew my Driving Licence, so I will have to see what the situation is regarding CoR then.

I wanted a yellow tabien baan because I was ticked off paying for a residence letter, which I have read should be free. Not so much the money but the fact that ripping you off is just a taken for granted thing.

I went to the amphur and got toldnid have to do all the Bangkok stuff, so I decided it just wasn't worth the effort.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i was going to ask what good it is and why some one would go through all that hassle. if it is only good to use as proof of address then i cant see the point.

It's good because you can be made Chao baan of your own condo or house

It's good every time you need to contact local authorities, work-arounds do exist for that of course

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Mee shy.

It's also useful for getting the Thai fee at National Parks.  Taking out phone contracts etc.

I received mine several years ago after going toe to toe with the local Amphur Paalaat (Deputy Sheriff)

It was the first one she had ever issued and it took several 'sit-downs' with her before it was granted.  The usual - marriage cert, house blue book were required but absolutely nothing concerning Immigration - two separate entities.

36 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Not quite. It is also very useful because you can be made Chao baan of your condo or the house you live in

And it is a document that all Thai's know of and accept, except for the lovely colour of course

So Thais don't know what a passport is and looks like!!! I will bet my 1 knacker that any govt.office or bank will ask for passport 1st.I better clarify,99% of the time.

Boon Me, You were lucky, talked to one of the local guys here who I found on this forum, they put him through the same hoops as the origianal OP, he finally gave up, if I have to go to Bangkok and go through all of the BS, it just won't be happening, when the wife gets her new Blue Book, I will check if they have relaxed there policy, you the man 

2 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

So Thais don't know what a passport is and looks like!!! I will bet my 1 knacker that any govt.office or bank will ask for passport 1st.I better clarify,99% of the time.

If you think that a tabien baan is a valid ID card, then you don't know much.

Here's a hint: If a valid ID card is required, then you have to provide one

24 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

All this for something that is next to useless.Better off paying the letter of residence occasionally.I can't even get past the "must be married"bs.

It is essential if you apply for Thai citizenship based on marriage to a Thai. Without it they will not even accept your application. So in my case well worth it.  

Khon kaen very straight forward

2 photos

Wife's id and blue book

Copy maraige cert

Copy certified details of your name and parents in thai (already had from marriage docs)

Copy relevant visa/extension of stay and main page passport.

And a cert of residence which I got in the morning from main police station.

No witnesses needed.

Left paper work with them was told about two weeks. Got a phone call next day to go and pick up yellow book and if I wanted an ID card. 

No money for either thing. Exellent service

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

All this for something that is next to useless.Better off paying the letter of residence occasionally.I can't even get past the "must be married"bs.

You don't need to be married to get a yellow Tabien Baan. Owning a condo does the job.

There is so many missunderstandings about this yellow book.For those that say you dont need it for anything usefull is either stupid, or you have a wife in 100% control.And you trust her with all youre assets.

I do also have my yellow book but it was a nightmare to get it.I am not married or retired.So I got it only on a touristvisa and my girlfriends signature.

If you want to be in controle youreself ,you must have a the book.Then no-one need to go with you or do things for you.

You can also get credit-cards and get a loan in a  bank only on youre income if you want to.(with the book in hand)

Some places you can get it in one day.Other places they try to make it as hard as they can for you.

The reason I got mine is that I had a kid on the way and got it as soon as she was born.

What proof is that of anything,I asked myself.I am not married and have no rights to my own dougther in thai law.(when not married)

So for her to get my Norwegian passport is another quis I havent started yet.

My andvice is get the book if you dont want youre wife to do everything for you.

25 minutes ago, Jujus said:

You don't need to be married to get a yellow Tabien Baan. Owning a condo does the job.

Do you have to own a condo or is a rental agreement for one sufficient (plus the blue book and whatever may be required from the landlord)?

13 hours ago, swissie said:

The yellow "Tabien Baan" is useful, when it comes to acquire a Thai Drivers License. Otherwise it is of no further beneficial use for a Farang. Especially is it of no benefit, when the goal is to secure some "property-rights".

Cheers. 

Well when i go to immigration for renewal of extension of stay they want a copy of the first two pages of my yellow book

Jeez. If i'd had to go through with even a 1/4 of that shIt, i would have thrown a wobble and not bothered. I hate burocracy (spelling), office dIcks and paperwork at the best of times.

One of the advantages of living in Nakon Nowhere in the middle of the Boondocks, is my yellow House Book was completed in an hour or so, a week after i went in to ask what the Ampur recquired. Just village headman and missus as a witness, and a a bit of basic paperwork. No translations, no embassy letters, nada.

4 minutes ago, Jujus said:

Don't take my word for it as I'm not sure, but I'd say you have to own it.

You do not have to be married and you do not have to own the condo either

Chao baan must agree and if no Chao baan, then the owner of the condo whoever that is

My problem was the man in charge of the office in our local amphur doesnt like me ? after a prevoius farce trying to get a letter stating my address for a driving license...PS...the staff in his office dont like the man in charge as well....Yellow book...wow....had to translate every page in my passport in to Thai...round trip of 250 km....marriage cert...wifes blue book..etc etc....head man from village assistant head man from village...the lady dealing with me and a very nice lady took 3 hours typing all the info i had on to official amphur paper gave her 2 photos etc.....she said you should hear something in the next 2 weeks.....well i waited 4 weeks i said to the wife lets go to the amphur and see whats happening about my yellow book ???? called  in to the oiffice i asked the lady where things were up to regarding my yellow book....she said she handed in all my paper work to the head man in the office...he saw my photo and he ripped up all the paper work and my photos and threw it all in the bin.......i said whats next ...she said will have to start all over again.....luckly i had 2 copies of my passport info....so back to the office headman...assistant head man....etc...another 3 hours typing the info....i said whats next se said ive got to go the info to the head man in the office again....any way waited another 4 weeks no news no info....went back to the amphur...the lady said the man refuses to look at your information and he doesnt want you to have a yellow book...and your info is just sat on his desk.....she said come back next tuesday as the man is on holiday ???.....i went back on the tuesday and the assistant of the office...went through my info in 2 mins...he went upstairs and 1 min later he gave me the yellow book with the Amphur stamp and he had signed it.......i have 3 friends who have done it recently in another Amphur office 25km from me....they paid 1000 bht each they all had their yellow books in 15 mins of entering the building...

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

If you've read the earlier posts in this thread you'd have seen that the Tabien Ban Leung is useful for more than just proof of address e.g. phone contracts in your own name.  Vehicle registrations in your own name.  OK, the passport works for those tasks as well in some places.  The Yellow Book also allows you the Thai rate at National Parks etc.

It's not a hassle to obtain if you have the patience to deal with Thai bureaucracy.

13 hours ago, Jujus said:

Well, it simplifies some procedures as you can use your 13 digits Tabien Baan number instead of your passport number in all official documents. It becomes your local ID number. The same goes with a blue Tabien Baan if you are a Permanent Resident, to an even stronger extent.

Maybe some documents in Thailand, but certainly not any others, and most in Thailand ask for your passport number - the only reason you would use your yellow book number is because you want to pretend to be "more Thai".

I have to say hats off to the OP for his persistence. Well done.

I am confused by many posters who say that having the yellow book doesn't help. Fair enough that it doesn't give you any direct benefits, but it does put you in the system and give you a Thai ID Number. If in the future you intend to apply for PR / Citizenship then having as much official documentation as possible is useful as evidence.  Obviously it doesn't guarantee anything.

The little pink card is incredibly useful for any official transaction - banks, hospital, post offices (which also require ID to send packages now). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonclark said:

If in the future you intend to apply for PR / Citizenship then having as much official documentation as possible is useful as evidence.

Definitely, I think it's even required, if I remember correctly.

46 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

If you've read the earlier posts in this thread you'd have seen that the Tabien Ban Leung is useful for more than just proof of address e.g. phone contracts in your own name.  Vehicle registrations in your own name.  OK, the passport works for those tasks as well in some places.  The Yellow Book also allows you the Thai rate at National Parks etc.

It's not a hassle to obtain if you have the patience to deal with Thai bureaucracy.

8 years of getting work permits and i am burnt out. now i fly back to nz each year to get my non O visa rather than deal with anyone here.

Always check in advance exactly what is needed of paperwork, and always get translations verified – translation is mainly down to the right rubber stamp of the translator, that's what you pay for, but that's not a guaranty for correct translation – I managed to do my Yellow Book in one day, with interview and witnesses signing etc. having all required paperwork prepared in advance; but it may have do with how familiar the Amphor is with issuing Yellow Books for aliens...:whistling:

I've earlier tried up Isaan with legalized translation of Passport for my daugther's birth-certificate, ended up with the Amhor could accept telefax verification, but when they got them, they were suddenly not sure, if they would be valid, even they had requested them. Believe they were not that familiar with Luk khrueng (half Thai children). Solution was a pure win-win: we agreed that I installed some photo-software on their computers, for the Amphor's new cameras that they could not get to work, and in return they accepted the telefax verification and issued a Birth Certificate...:D

By the way, I'm lucky that my embassy grant legalization of translations by EMS (express mail service), same do the Thai Ministry of Justice (have a VIP-fee for same day service), so we avoid travelling to Bangkok for a translation rubber stamp.:)

50 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Can I ask which national parks they let you in on Thai rate !!! That's not my experiance.

1 hour ago, Jujus said:

Don't take my word for it as I'm not sure, but I'd say you have to own it.

The rules are different all over Thailand.In some places they say they dont give out the book at all.

In some places(Like mine witch is in Sakon Nakhon) you dont need to own anything to get the book.

I dont own anything,but I do have the legal-rights to everything.Because I do have a lease on the land where my house.

3 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

The rules are different all over Thailand.In some places they say they dont give out the book at all.

In some places(Like mine witch is in Sakon Nakhon) you dont need to own anything to get the book.

I dont own anything,but I do have the legal-rights to everything.Because I do have a lease on the land where my house.

That is why. You got a leasehold on a land. This explains that.