Tourist visa in Saigon/Ho Chi Min

I have a one year non-O based on marriage from Savannakhet that expired today. I have to go to Vietnam so thought I would get a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa when there so that I can pospone my next trip to Savannakhet as much as possible.

Any problem with this plan? If I apply for a non-O can I get a double entry?

• You can't get a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) in Vietnam. They are only available from your home country/country of residence.
  • You could get a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) that gives you 60 days. You could extend that by 60 days to visit your wife giving you nearly 4 months. Or you could try for a 30 day extension based on tourism followed by a 60 day extension based on visiting your wife giving you almost 5 months.
  • You could try for a Single Entry Non 'O' based on marriage which would give you 90 days, which could also be extended by 60 days giving you nearly 5 months.
Edited by elviajero

You can only get a multiple entry tourist visa in your home country.

Non-o visas are only issued as single or multiple entries.

You should be able to get a single entry non-o visa. Getting a 60 day extension to visit you your wife would give you almost 5 months of total stay from it.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only get a multiple entry tourist visa in your home country.

Non-o visas are only issued as single or multiple entries.

You should be able to get a single entry non-o visa. Getting a 60 day extension to visit you your wife would give you almost 5 months of total stay from it.

Would I be able to get a multiple entry non-O? I have at lest one travel coming up in late September.

44 minutes ago, Becker said:

Would I be able to get a multiple entry non-O? I have at lest one travel coming up in late September.

You could try getting one there but I have not seen any reports of them being issued there.

You could get a re-entry permit to keep your 90 day entry valid when you return from your trip.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could try getting one there but I have not seen any reports of them being issued there.

You could get a re-entry permit to keep your 90 day entry valid when you return from your trip.

OK, so I have an option to get a single entry non-O and then apply for a re-entry permit when I leave Thailand again (as long as I return before the visa expires)?

3 minutes ago, Becker said:

OK, so I have an option to get a single entry non-O and then apply for a re-entry permit when I leave Thailand again (as long as I return before the visa expires)?

As long as you return before the entry expires. This is one of those times when precision is wise. The re-entry permit is tied to the entry, not the visa. It could be, for instance, that you have a re-entry permit on a 60-day extension to visit your wife that permits a stay until well after the enter before date of your visa has expired.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As long as you return before the entry expires. This is one of those times when precision is wise. The re-entry permit is tied to the entry, not the visa. It could be, for instance, that you have a re-entry permit on a 60-day extension to visit your wife that permits a stay until well after the enter before date of your visa has expired.

So just to make sure I understand this correctly I need to be back before the 90 days (that started running when I first entered on the visa) are up. Is that correct?

On another note; will I be able to get a non-O visa in Saigon? According to the consulate's web site that doesn't seem to be the case.

12 minutes ago, Becker said:

So just to make sure I understand this correctly I need to be back before the 90 days (that started running when I first entered on the visa) are up. Is that correct?

On another note; will I be able to get a non-O visa in Saigon? According to the consulate's web site that doesn't seem to be the case.

The re-entry permit will have a expiration date on it equal to the to the date the 90 days ends.

This page shows the requirement for getting the non-o based upon marriage. http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html

For spouse of Thai nationals

• Guarantee letter wrritten in Thai from Thai spouse
  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • Certified copy of Thai spouse’s ID card
  • Certified copy of house registration book

Letter from you wife is will just be asking you be issued the visa. Certified means signed by her.

18 minutes ago, Becker said:

Yes.

When you enter with the visa you'll get permission to stay for 90 days. The re-entry permit will be valid until the end of the same 90 days. If you leave after 30 days, and stay out for 10 days, you'll be granted permission to stay for the remaining 50 days of the original 90.  If you re-enter on day 88 you'll get permission to stay for 2 days.

At the end go the 90 days, even if you exit/re-enter with a re-entry permit, you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife.

26 minutes ago, JXCutter said:

Some people are giving misleading information.  The METV does not always have to be obtained in your home country.  My wife got a METV in her US passport at the Thai consulate in Laos.

If that was before November of last year it was not a METV.  It was a 2 entry tourist visa.

1 hour ago, JXCutter said:

Some people are giving misleading information.  The METV does not always have to be obtained in your home country.  My wife got a METV in her US passport at the Thai consulate in Laos.

In some cases in the past people have been able to get two entry  tourist visas (or even three entry tourist visas in countries further afield), but those were not "multiple entry" visas and are no longer available anywhere. They would have been good  for two (or three) entries only. A multiple entry visa allows you to exit and re-enter Thailand as often as you like during the visa's validity.

There have been some reports of people getting METVs in Australia even though they weren't Australian, but that seems to be an exception. Thai embassies in countries neighboring Thailand will not issue them to other nationalities.

Edited by Suradit69

You can only get the METV visa I your home country or country you reside legally,

if you for example live in US and are not US citizen you can get a visa if you have a green card or student visa, if you have dual citizenship and have US & European passport you can only get the METV in the US passport if you like the MET in the European passport you need to apply in the country the passport is from.

if you then apply in Europe for a METV in the European passport that Thai embassy will not accept bank records for proof of money in bank from the US it have to be from a bank in that country. They seem to be strict on this

You can only get the METV visa I your home country or country you reside legally,

if you for example live in US and are not US citizen you can get a visa if you have a green card or student visa, if you have dual citizenship and have US & European passport you can only get the METV in the US passport if you like the MET in the European passport you need to apply in the country the passport is from.

if you then apply in Europe for a METV in the European passport that Thai embassy will not accept bank records for proof of money in bank from the US it have to be from a bank in that country. They seem to be strict on this