Travel Insurance for the US?

emgthailand

I just moved to Thailand. For US Residents living here, what travel health insurance do you sign up for when you return to the US for a visit (1-2 weeks)?  I've only ever had to buy travel insurance that covers me outside the US.  I'm about to cancel my insanely expensive insurance policy, but I'm also planning to return to the US for a week or two around the holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

l have Bupa Platinum health insurance in Thailand, which covers me globally, with of course the exception of US! So I sign up with their annual travel insurance since I go back to the US maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Since I have their insurance here I get a 15% discount on the travel insurance.

Actually used it earlier this year when I was back in South Dakota and got an awful eye infection. I got a reimbursement check 10 days after I got back and submitted the claim

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

l have Bupa Platinum health insurance in Thailand, which covers me globally, with of course the exception of US! So I sign up with their annual travel insurance since I go back to the US maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Since I have their insurance here I get a 15% discount on the travel insurance.

Actually used it earlier this year when I was back in South Dakota and got an awful eye infection. I got a reimbursement check 10 days after I got back and submitted the claim

That's not bad.  Did they cover everything? Did they have any negotiated rates w/ the doctor's office or did the dr charge you full price and then you submitted for reimbursement?

Yep it was all covered. I don't think the concept of pre-negotiated rates actually applies when it comes to travel insurance, but I could be wrong. The Dr filled out a single page 'statement of treatment' which get when you apply for the policy, which I mailed to Bupa when I got back.

This wasn't a huge claim, as I recall it was around a couple of hundred bucks with the medicine. But that was more than the policy cost, so paid for itself

• 2 weeks later...