Police to probe death of land official in DSI custody

webfact

Police to probe death of land official in DSI custody

969_Death-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In a rare case of investigation, the Royal Thai Police says the family of the victim died in the custody of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) could seek the hand of the police to investigate if they fear of foul play.

At a press conference yesterday a Royal Thai Police spokesman announced that the relatives of the deceased had every right to file charges and ask for an investigation if they suspect any foul play.

They can do so by filing charges with the Thung Song Hong police station, he said.

He goes on to affirm that autopsy procedures performed by the Forensic Medicine Institute was in accordance with international standards and furthermore assured the public that the commissioner had placed the highest priority in finding the actual cause of death and that the case must be handled fairly.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-probe-death-land-official-dsi-custody/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-02

The only way that the truth will come out about this is if it is investigated by totally independant people.

RTP investigating the DSI gave me a break, that is the joke of the year.

Offices of senior police officials will have big lumps under the carpets, trying to cover up the truth.

1 hour ago, Mickmouse1 said:

How can the police investigate themselves?  

Not unusual in the West. The UK, for example, has a police investigation unit and I'd imagine that most Forces do it 'in-house'. There might ;) be a difference though between how those units investigate their own and the way that Thailand goes about it.

And after three years of 'investigations' any evidence of use will be 'lost' but just in case somebody actually did something wrong, some junior team member will be transferred to an inactive post.  Meanwhile; job done as 'witness' knowing names and  details of high ranking involvement in original crime silenced forever. 

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Police can be asked to investigate? I'm lost. Are the police not duty-bound to do this of their own volition? 

I think in retrospect, it's like the state cops in the US being asked to investigate the FBI......

The RTP will, in my opinion, be asked nicely to step away.......

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not unusual in the West. The UK, for example, has a police investigation unit and I'd imagine that most Forces do it 'in-house'. There might ;) be a difference though between how those units investigate their own and the way that Thailand goes about it.

The UK has the IPCC - independent police complaints commission. Also when instances are investigated by police officers they are normally officers called in from a different force. Not always as prone to the old boys all masons together antics of the past these days as people might think either.

4 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

How can the police investigate themselves?  Why shouldn't the police automatically conduct an investigation in such event? Only if the family filed a report an investigation will be carried out??

It probably comes under not being in the public's best interest in something, but don't quote me on it. Please. 

At a press conference yesterday a Royal Thai Police spokesman announced that the relatives of the deceased had every right to file charges and ask for an investigation if they suspect any foul play.

They can do so by filing charges with the Thung Song Hong police station, he said.

Sounds more like a dare...

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/07/thailand-niece-killed-soldier-arrested-defaming-army/

"THE niece of an army conscript who was beaten to death by other soldiers was detained by police on Tuesday for allegedly defaming the Thai military."

11 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Sounds more like a dare...

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/07/thailand-niece-killed-soldier-arrested-defaming-army/

"THE niece of an army conscript who was beaten to death by other soldiers was detained by police on Tuesday for allegedly defaming the Thai military."

did she have her facts right?

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

The only way that the truth will come out about this is if it is investigated by totally independant people.

RTP investigating the DSI gave me a break, that is the joke of the year.

Offices of senior police officials will have big lumps under the carpets, trying to cover up the truth.

We investigated ourselves and found nothing untoward..... lol