Deadly deeds: Death of former Phuket Land chief lifts lid on island’s corrupt, murderous past

webfact

3 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

You only have to read Thaivisa to find out, that Thainess translates into greed, fraud and corruption.

Yep, because its a true, unbias , non-jaded  barometer of what really goes on here, isn't it? :cheesy:

Not that it makes the Phuket situation any less shocking, but touristic areas all around the world are always the favourite playground of local mafias involving developers, local administration and sheer gangsters.

Think for example of Hawai, Florida, the French Riviera, the Maldives, the Costa Brava in Spain, the Coastal area around Brighton in England ... Corruption around land deeds and construction in these regions is thriving, and has been for decades, sometimes centuries !

Why on earth would Phuket, being the little holiday paradise that it used (and still claims) to be, somehow avoid the process ? I read all the comments that essentially say 'this is Thailand', but it seems to me the more appropriate reflection would be : this is the human species, greedy, short sighted, selfish and self serving, hypocritical and manipulative. Sadly, beautiful places seem particularly prone to nurture these 'universal qualities' in human beings.

It's been the theme of countless books, films ... and court cases of course.

the main difference between the west and Thailand is that there are mechanisms in place, laws that are enforced and a justice system that most believe to be acting in the interests of society the country and the public, whereas in Thailand it is the people tasked to enforce/uphold laws - govern the country and officials in positions of opportunity that are complicit in the corruption because they receive huge amounts of money and with that money comes power and influence, but perhaps that is changing, there is no doubt it is a massive problem because it has been allowed to flourish for decades, yes I also have no doubt the military have their fair share but I can see no other group in Thailand that have a hope in hell of doing something about it  

3 hours ago, kaorop said:

I would think if one was in this position one would make it very clear that documents would be release thru numerous channels upon any suspicious death. But upon living here I've realized quite stupid people get seriously wealthy just by buying or being the right position.

But this guy has been a fugitive for 13 years so any information that he had would have been at least 13 years old.

Obviously with him dying in custody it was still relevant.

A plausibility test between income and wealth of senior officials in Provincial Land Offices would definitely bring interesting results.
Since there are certainly some, who have private unusually a large number of land parcels, money in their bank accounts , the newest luxury cars,  the biggest fat gold rings on their fingers and top brand gold watches  on their wrists.

AND big gold chains round their neck.

Anyone been to the Laem Chabang port to pick up things?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I find it hard to believe that DSI would be silly enough to terminate a person in their own house.

DSI investigating DSI, pretty convenient, appearances of impropriety come to mind.

Government Officials and wealthy Land Owners dying over land deals in Thailand are a old as Thailand itself, Business as Usual!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

An inquiry has been launched into the initial claims by DSI Director-General Pol Col Paisit Wongmuang that Thawatchai died after attempting to commit suicide by hanging himself with his socks. The assertion flies in the face of autopsy results revealed by police coronoers that Thawatchai suffered severe internal injuries that may have caused his death. 

Suicide by socks! I've heard of "Night of the Long Knives". Now, the Thai version "Night of the Long Socks." 

5 hours ago, Kabula said:

Why comment specifically on corruption in Thailand?

The same corruption is presently happening worldwide, and has been going on for a thousand years!

No surprise to anyone that has studied economic history and has tracked worldwide, financial trends over the last 20 years.

I'm at a loss to understand why there are so many negative comments about Thailand?  The content is disgusting.

Thailand protects  it's sovereignty, no media discrimination and very few demonstrations like in most countries.  Very little crime considering it's population and the millions of tourists and expats that visit and live here. Healthy, plentiful food and water at a reasonable price.  Beautiful women and entertainment that attracks millions. Very little extreme weather,  no volcanic activity and very little concern about earthquakes. 

Be happy and thankful you are here while many of your home countries are in serious trouble.

Yes, corruption is everywhere. I recently read a article that European roads and bridges cost 30% more then they should due to corruption.  Unions play a part too.

16 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

I find it hard to believe that DSI would be silly enough to terminate a person in their own house.

DSI investigating DSI, pretty convenient, appearances of impropriety come to mind.

Government Officials and wealthy Land Owners dying over land deals in Thailand are a old as Thailand itself, Business as Usual!

DSI not silly enough ?  But they are very confident that they could get away with no questions being asked ...

It has gone on here in Ireland also where high court judges, Solicitors and  land officials were involved in conning an old woman and her daughter of their home because of the development value of the land an old aunt of my dads had a valuable parcel of land and there is similar corruption going on about it so its not only Thailand there is greedy speculators lawyers and government officials everywhere. Anyway with the army at the helm I think the truth will come out as they dont take no bull

6 hours ago, Kabula said:

Why comment specifically on corruption in Thailand?

The same corruption is presently happening worldwide, and has been going on for a thousand years!

No surprise to anyone that has studied economic history and has tracked worldwide, financial trends over the last 20 years.

I'm at a loss to understand why there are so many negative comments about Thailand?  The content is disgusting.

Thailand protects  it's sovereignty, no media discrimination and very few demonstrations like in most countries.  Very little crime considering it's population and the millions of tourists and expats that visit and live here. Healthy, plentiful food and water at a reasonable price.  Beautiful women and entertainment that attracks millions. Very little extreme weather,  no volcanic activity and very little concern about earthquakes. 

Be happy and thankful you are here while many of your home countries are in serious trouble.

You are a senior / Advanced Member of this forum. I'm guessing that means you have been here a while. I am gob smacked that you even mention 'no media discrimination' are you walking around with the "blinkers" on?  There is No Freedom of Speech, No Freedom of the Media, consistent Social Media tracking and any opposition to any Governments, past and present harassed and jailed.  Democracy is more than the poling booth selection form, it's a way of life and freedom. Thailand is decades away from that and you are saying 'oh because your Countries might be in trouble it's okay for them to act like this" 

Dear Senior Advanced Member, you need to get out a bit more!

6 hours ago, fish monger said:

This article happens to be, IF YOU DIDN'T NOTICE, about Thailand....NOT someone's home country or the rest of the world.

6 hours ago, fish monger said:

Indeed, as the headline says, not someone's home country or the rest of the world, or even the rest  of Thailand, but specifically Phuket:-

"Deadly deeds: Death of former Phuket Land chief lifts lid on island’s corrupt, murderous past"

And I guess you also believe here there are also tooth fairy's, and Easter bunnies and father Christmas and that no one should question the state of affairs and suggest improvements. Yes many of us love this country but we don't burry our heads in the sand. Amongst the highest road death rate in the world, a police force that desperately need an overhaul, and restructure so that power is not used for self enrichment. And if you are "at a loss to understand" try thinking and then commenting critically and constructively on  specific critical events

10 hours ago, fish monger said:

that deprive and no co the  

10 hours ago, smedly said:

the main difference between the west and Thailand is that there are mechanisms in place, laws that are enforced and a justice system that most believe to be acting in the interests of society the country and the public, whereas in Thailand it is the people tasked to enforce/uphold laws - govern the country and officials in positions of opportunity that are complicit in the corruption because they receive huge amounts of money and with that money comes power and influence, but perhaps that is changing, there is no doubt it is a massive problem because it has been allowed to flourish for decades, yes I also have no doubt the military have their fair share but I can see no other group in Thailand that have a hope in hell of doing something about it  

Apart from a massive run-on sentence, you are incorrect.  The main difference is more that in Thailand the corruption is in-your-face give me the money and in the west it is hidden under the smoke and mirrors of the laws and the judicial system which allows far too much white collar crime.  Why only this morning I read about Boeing being given $2 billion in performance bonuses out of the tax payer's pockets for building a failed missile system after they changed the wording of the contract well after the original contract had been signed. 

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-boeing-bonuses-20160831-snap-story.html

By the way, I do hope your moniker is in honor of the good general, one of the superheros of our times in the fight against corruption in government.

2 hours ago, Johpa said:

Apart from a massive run-on sentence, you are incorrect.  The main difference is more that in Thailand the corruption is in-your-face give me the money and in the west it is hidden under the smoke and mirrors of the laws and the judicial system which allows far too much white collar crime.  Why only this morning I read about Boeing being given $2 billion in performance bonuses out of the tax payer's pockets for building a failed missile system after they changed the wording of the contract well after the original contract had been signed. 

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-boeing-bonuses-20160831-snap-story.html

By the way, I do hope your moniker is in honor of the good general, one of the superheros of our times in the fight against corruption in government.

you are getting confused between what a crime is, in the west I would not argue that there is stuff going on which is technically legal but a lot of people see it as crime including me, until laws are changed in the west it will remain so, as for Thailand....the actual law is being broken but is ignored because as I said above - those tasked to uphold the law are complicit.......there is a big difference, if you cannot see that then - up to you