Pope Francis declares Mother Teresa a saint

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course I know that. It was the Catholic Church that beautified her. But, that is not even a concern of mine. It is simply whether or not her actions and life's work merited this honor. I believe it did. I consider her greatness to be rather unparalleled in the past couple of generations. Please name a few that you consider worthy of this honor. 

"It was the Catholic Church that beautified her."

What? So glad that you think that the church beautified her.  Do you know know what to beatify means?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course I know that. It was the Catholic Church that beautified her. But, that is not even a concern of mine. It is simply whether or not her actions and life's work merited this honor. I believe it did. I consider her greatness to be rather unparalleled in the past couple of generations. Please name a few that you consider worthy of this honor. 

How about every nurse or doctor who has ever done their job without courting publicity for it?  How about every person who has thrown out used syringes and not washed them for re-use like her ignorant followers did.  How about every person who has taken a patient to a hospital to be treated instead of leaving that person to die because "if we did it for him we'd have to do it for everyone".

I wouldn't mind the mumbo-jumbo ( body of Christ, transubstantiation and the like, incense wafting, ) if they spend rather more of their vast cash/property/investment holdings on genuine good works and rather less on proselytising and telling others how they should live their lives. 

Some cathoilic organisations are great, others are borderline evil, eg Opus Dei

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm sure she did a lot of great work and also had lots of human flaws.

However, I don't believe she was a saint.

Because I don't believe anyone was a saint.

Because I ain't Catholic! 

I do believe Catholics have a tradition of elevating people to the sainthood. Doesn't make it real. 

Being a saint has nothing to do with being Catholic. They are simply the only religion to recognize people as such. There are Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, and Buddhist saints. It requires a state of exaltation. Whether or not Mother Theresa had that no one knows. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Being a saint has nothing to do with being Catholic. They are simply the only religion to recognize people as such. There are Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, and Buddhist saints. It requires a state of exaltation. Whether or not Mother Theresa had that no one knows. 

For a state of exultation come to Pattaya.

53 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

How about every nurse or doctor who has ever done their job without courting publicity for it?  How about every person who has thrown out used syringes and not washed them for re-use like her ignorant followers did.  How about every person who has taken a patient to a hospital to be treated instead of leaving that person to die because "if we did it for him we'd have to do it for everyone".

If being a nurse of doctor made one a saint, this earth would be blessed with millions of saints. I suppose you have far lower standards of sainthood than I do. She had a vast organization. Some of her adherents were bound to have made mistakes along the way. Anyone who thinks every sick person, or every person in hospice care should be taken to the hospital has never spent any time in India, nor Calcutta. There are simply not enough hospital beds available, even if that was part of the agenda. I saw people dying by the dozen on the streets of Calcutta. Every night. Every morning the trucks would come by and collect the dead bodies. It is a different planet. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm sure she did a lot of great work and also had lots of human flaws.

However, I don't believe she was a saint.

Because I don't believe anyone was a saint.

This is pretty much how I feel, but I suspect that she did a lot more good than bad and deserves recognition for it.

She certainly deserves sainthood ,according to the Vatican , she suspended the rules that govern the universe and miraculously cured two individuals,  an exhausting feat that surly prevent her from curing any more.:whistling: 

37 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What a load of bull-pucky.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well put. It is so easy to cut off the head of another, to make oneself appear to be taller. I doubt there is a single person on this forum that has done 1/10th the good work she performed in her lifetime. You can argue with her methods, or her politics, or her willingness to support Catholic dogma. But, you cannot argue with her body of work. I was there. I saw what she was doing, firsthand. It was astonishing. 

Guys like Hitchins are bitter men, who have done very little in the way of positive work to benefit mankind, within their lifetime. 

I agree with you and your thinking. How blessed you are to have met her. There have only been a few great people on the planet in our lifetime, and she is one of them. I was privileged to hear Nelson Mandella speak in Capetown.....another of the great ones who transcended their situation in life and became a great role model for the rest of us. 

8 hours ago, Mansell said:

I agree with you and your thinking. How blessed you are to have met her. There have only been a few great people on the planet in our lifetime, and she is one of them. I was privileged to hear Nelson Mandella speak in Capetown.....another of the great ones who transcended their situation in life and became a great role model for the rest of us. 

Don't you dare, throwing in Mandela -a man who overcame hate and united a whole nation, with this horrible woman!

She has done nothing, even close to what he did!

21 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Don't you dare, throwing in Mandela -a man who overcame hate and united a whole nation, with this horrible woman!

Do you mean helping terrorists and befriending dictators? Mandela was not always the great man he became in the end.

Edited by Ulysses G.

41 minutes ago, DM07 said:

She has done nothing, even close to what he did!

With this horrible woman? What are you basing this one? A trash piece written by the infinitely bitter Hitchins? She did more good work in her lifetime than most communities, or organizations. She was tireless in her willingness to help the poor. What have you been doing lately that has made the world a better place? She has done nothing? Are you living on another planet?

I highly recommend some laxatives, and a 30 day water fast. It might do wonders for your attitude and perspective. 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

With this horrible woman? What are you basing this one? A trash piece written by the infinitely bitter Hitchins? She did more good work in her lifetime than most communities, or organizations. She was tireless in her willingness to help the poor. What have you been doing lately that has made the world a better place? She has done nothing? Are you living on another planet?

I highly recommend some laxatives, and a 30 day water fast. It might do wonders for your attitude and perspective. 

I highly recommend, you pull your head out of your behind- the lack of oxygen is showing!  This woman made/ let people suffer, although she had the means to do some real good and give some real help!  Why?

Because it was her "concept" of sin and  redemption!  What have I done lately?
I try to educate you and your ilk, to not be blinded by religious charlatans! That should be enough, to make the world a much better place! 

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Do you mean helping terrorists and befriending dictators? Mandela was not always the great man he became in the end.

One man's terrorist is a another man's freedom- fighter!

I judge him, by what he became!

A great man!

A lot of spiritually impoverished comments here.

Look at it this way. For centuries the missionaries went out to pestilential godforsaken places and with next to no resources except their own effort, tried to help those suffering the effects of utter fourth-world poverty. That's how it used to be done.

No doubt they took pride in all that effort and all that self-sacrifice and there is some nostalgia for those days. I guess Mother Theresa clung to those old standards - when the basics meant more than luxuries. Consider also the standards in Indian society she was working in - hygiene was hardly the norm. Not to mention their odious caste system - she doubtless dealt with many untouchables who expected very little.

When, after years of this, she became famous and people started throwing money at her, amazingly, she still clung to those old standards, no doubt because it was the spiritual aspect she was interested in, not pristine environments. A gleaming building with clean sheets would have turned it into an ordinary hospital when it wasn't her role to provide such a thing.

She did something fairly unique in her own way and far from being corrupted by all the fame, clung to the old spritual methods. That is the most remarkable thing of all and I guess that is actually what they are honouring her for.

She clung to her own beliefs about suffering being good for the soul etc. - until of course, she found herself in the same position when medical care was suddenly a good idea :rolleyes:.

If those that donated knew (apart, of course, from the repellent dictators etc. that were looking to 'cleanse' their name) that the money wasn't being spent to provide medical care for the poor and dying', (but rather mostly on promoting the Church) ,the donations would have been reduced to pretty  much zero.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Look at it this way. For centuries the missionaries went out to pestilential godforsaken places and with next to no resources except their own effort, tried to help those suffering the effects of utter fourth-world poverty. That's how it used to be done.

No doubt they took pride in all that effort and all that self-sacrifice and there is some nostalgia for those days. I guess Mother Theresa clung to those old standards - when the basics meant more than luxuries. Consider also the standards in Indian society she was working in - hygiene was hardly the norm. Not to mention their odious caste system - she doubtless dealt with many untouchables who expected very little.

When, after years of this, she became famous and people started throwing money at her, amazingly, she still clung to those old standards, no doubt because it was the spiritual aspect she was interested in, not pristine environments. A gleaming building with clean sheets would have turned it into an ordinary hospital when it wasn't her role to provide such a thing.

She did something fairly unique in her own way and far from being corrupted by all the fame, clung to the old spritual methods. That is the most remarkable thing of all and I guess that is actually what they are honouring her for.

That's an interesting point.

While I'm not all that interested in the details about the controversy over her actions, it makes sense to me that the standards of the Catholic church for being considered a saint do not fully gel with modern secular humanist ethical values when it comes to providing medical care. To me, the latter is much better. For faithful Catholics, the former. I do admire anyone for whatever faith reason, or no faith reason, that gives attention to humans societies have tossed in the garbage. It might not be the best attention, but I reckon any attention is better than nothing. 

I doubt this lady was a saint or a villain ... in the objective sense but there is no doubt she was an extraordinary person. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Missionaries. A can of worms.

Edited by SheungWan

18 minutes ago, slipperylobster said:

Great news....Congrats to those who loved Mother Teresa.

However, the Pope's been nominated as "Son of a Whore" by Duterte..(Philippines)

Obama is in the same boat.

I don't know who to trust, anymore.

Trust the guy upstairs,if the pope was wrong then his balcony will collapse while he is blessing the world with his et orbi stunt.