Work permit to see my wife...

The other day, I went to see my wife who is working on opening a business, while I was there, she asked me to lower the brackets for the curtains, as I was doing this, some police came in and asked me if I had a work permit since I was working, (wha...???) I did not, as I am retired with a Non-O marriage "visa", I have not been to her shop in over a month, I was there perhaps 30 minutes, and prior to my "incident" I had brought out a chair to be cleaned for her. In other words, when ones wife asks or tells you to do something, simply DO IT. Goes without saying right? Anyway, I was fined for "working without a work permit" ... so, now, do I get a work permit to visit my wife at work, stay away or get a work permit through the business, if so, as a "What?" Consultant, guard, I don't think getting fined each time I go there makes sense, and to "try to stop" the "Honeydo" thing is not likely to happen and by my very nature, if something is broken, I just fix it... Thank you for any input or experience

you might have for me...

11 minutes ago, PunaBrian said:

need to see the police report? its in Thai.

It would be useful to see exactly who ticketed you and for what actual offence.

If you could post a scan in the Thai language forum (obscure any personal details of course) and drop a link to the thread in here.

Should have said you were a customer, searching for curtain brackets...

"Just re positioning them officer, to see what they will look like at my house"

Job done :)

Seriously though, they do take the 5iss with things like this..  Can't they use common sense on a case by case basis ???

• Like 1

A neighbour of mine was almost arrested for moving a basket full of laundry from a chair so that he could sit down

while they interrogated his wife about the laundry business she was running.

10 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

List yourself as a "manager" then you're sorted.

If it was that easy ...don't you think everyone would do it ?

25 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

If you're going to go in there and help out a little then why not just get a work permit?  You're married so you only need two thai staff and your wife is one of them.  List yourself as a "manager" then you're sorted.

You clearly have very little idea about what is needed paperwork wise to be eligible for a work permit.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

If you're going to go in there and help out a little then why not just get a work permit?  You're married so you only need two thai staff and your wife is one of them.  List yourself as a "manager" then you're sorted.

4 Thai staff, not 2, unless the law has recently changed.

My friend had a restaurant. His sandwich board blew over. It was real windy. He ran after it, picked it up.Cost him forty grand. Copper happened to be around,clicked a picture with his phone.

I was there.

Edited by NickJ
None

39 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

You clearly have very little idea about what is needed paperwork wise to be eligible for a work permit.

I know all about the amount of paperwork since I have a work permit from my own BOI company.  Yes it's a lot of work, is it the best solution?  Maybe depends on the type of business is wife is running, not enough info.  Especially the OP says he can't resist fixing things when he's there so he risks getting caught again.  If the fine is really 40K then paying the money to set it up correctly and get a work permit quickly becomes the cheaper option even.

Edited by eskatonia
  • Like 2

You are not the first one to be caught like that.

You have to be very careful doing things when you are at a business located in a public place.

Why was just a fine given? Is it not a jailable, deportable offence?

And do police have jurisdiction in such matters? I would have thought it would be immigration or department of labor.

2 minutes ago, hohososo said:

And do police have jurisdiction in such matters? I would have thought it would be immigration or department of labor.

That is my understanding too. It should be the Labour Department policing this, not PC plod who has no jurisdiction at all. I think he has been scammed by the boys in brown (if the story is true). 

8 minutes ago, hohososo said:

For a first offense on his wife's business?  Bit harsh don't you think?  Yes if he keeps getting caught he could be deported eventually which is why he should either control his urges to fix things when he's there or get a work permit.

According to this website the penalty for working with out a permit is 2000 THB to 100000 THB fine or up to five years in jail (or both).  It's not automatic jail time.  http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/working-illegally-in-thailand.html

Edited by eskatonia

6 minutes ago, hohososo said:

How serious the offense is determines the punishment. Just being in his wife's shop doing something would no be considered very serious.

The police can do it also or turn you over to other authorities.

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't get it. You were helping your wife, you weren't working. Surely any Thai wife would send that cop to hell. 

He should have said the police pulled a gun and said if you don't make me a sandwich right now you are going to be deported.

Then he could say that while he was making the sandwich, he cut his finger. When he put a band aid on the cut;

The police asked for double the fine; as he was working as a doctor.

This I would believe.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

My friend had a restaurant. His sandwich board blew over. It was real windy. He ran after it, picked it up.Cost him forty grand. Copper happened to be around,clicked a picture with his phone.

I was there.

where was that ?

48 minutes ago, hohososo said:

It's a fine OR prison OR both. I can't see the day that they'd lock someone up for hanging curtains.

Immigration Act.

Section 75 : Any alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(1) shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding 10,000Baht or both. 

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following :

1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized by the Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the law concerned. 

48 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

For a first offense on his wife's business?  Bit harsh don't you think?  Yes if he keeps getting caught he could be deported eventually which is why he should either control his urges to fix things when he's there or get a work permit.

According to this website the penalty for working with out a permit is 2000 THB to 100000 THB fine or up to five years in jail (or both).  It's not automatic jail time.  http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/working-illegally-in-thailand.html

The Alien Working Act wouldn't apply in a case like this. That is for people being employed. The OP would/should be penalised under the Immigration Act.

5 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't believe this story.

This guy is a friend of mine and ran this by me before he ran it by you guys and UbonJoe. His wife went to the police station and they paid a fine of 30,000 baht. Before he told me that my question was did you get a receipt......I guess at the PStation you get one. So this is a true story.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mansell said:

This guy is a friend of mine and ran this by me before he ran it by you guys and UbonJoe. His wife went to the police station and they paid a fine of 30,000 baht. Before he told me that my question was did you get a receipt......I guess at the PStation you get one. So this is a true story.

All right, thanks for the update. This sucks. I wouldn't put up with this nor would I be visiting Thailand anymore.