Duterte tells Obama not to question him about killings 

webfact

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, LawrenceChee said:

Duerte is learning from Singapore ...any expat who has lived in Singapore loved one thing

The toughness in laws and intolerance to drugs and usage

So for the small fairy tale unicorn group that believes usage of recreational drugs is a God given right stay in your countries where this is legalised and do it

But don't impose your dreams on a country where most people average salary is less than $10 a day ...they want a better life for their children minus the drugs and elected a democratic president who will appoint a police chief to do that

I have a huge group of Filipinos employed and they are telling me thank god for him ...so their views count more than the Americans or the world as this is their country

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Indiscriminate killing of supposed drug dealers without due process of law is not how Singapore got to where it is today.  Any expat who lived there would know that.

Not all in the Philippines are happy with him:

http://time.com/4462352/rodrigo-duterte-drug-war-drugs-philippines-killing/

As the body count soars, some say the real threat to the Philippines is not drugs but the President himself

Over 1,000 have been killed by vigilantes.  And you support this?  Wow...

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Indiscriminate killing of supposed drug dealers without due process of law is not how Singapore got to where it is today.  Any expat who lived there would know that.

Not all in the Philippines are happy with him:

http://time.com/4462352/rodrigo-duterte-drug-war-drugs-philippines-killing/

Over 1,000 have been killed by vigilantes.  And you support this?  Wow...

It was deemed OK when Thaksin did it. 

The guy is a nut.  Only time before his people really turn against him:

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/1961543/philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte-faces-backlash-after

“Just because you’re a journalist you are not exempted from assassination, if you’re a son of a bitch,” Duterte said when asked how he would address the problem of media killings in the Philippines after a reporter was shot dead in Manila last week.

“He has also, in effect, declared open season to silence the media, both individual journalists and the institution, on the mere perception of corruption,” the NUJP said in a statement.

He's not going to last long...luckily...

The president has a policy for drug addicts who refused questioning or may harm the police officers lives

The media is focusing on the killing and not the due process ....I just left Manila and don't see anyone walking around with guns looking someone to kill for fun

I suggest anyone with an opinion to perhaps drive through the slums and see the extent of the drug influence affecting daily lives an see why the people elected him

I have an issue with innocent killings

1000 killed in the frame of the problem ...there is an estimate of 1.7 million users in the country. In the Filipino minds ...the 1000 is a Low number

I know in some countries even one live lost is a
travesty of human rights ....try to see this in the lens of the Asians ...like I said the guys is brutally rude but he called out the right things that countries with a less stellar record should stop being hypocrites and condemning him

The extrajudicial killings were not deemed OK by the international community when Thaksin did them and they will not meet with the approval of most Western countries with Duterte doing them.   These things don't need anyone's approval.   In the end, it's an internal matter.

As Lomsak27 said " When you use corrupt methods to wipe out corruption you are going to end up like them.  It is just a matter of time."   Drugs are problem in a lot of places, but in the Philippines, it is probably more a symptom of the endemic, corrupt and structural problems.

It will be interesting to see if when he cleans up the drugs whether the other problems will have magically disappeared.  

Dutertre verbally assaulted the US president just after the US ambassador. In my opinion this is not a coincidence ...

Do not forget that it has dispatched former Philippine President Fidel Ramos in China to revive ties with its larger neighbor.

And if the breaking of US privileged relations was the price to pay for a good peaceful agreement on the conflict in the South China Sea?

38 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Because he wants Obama to 'butt out' of the Philippines business - what he is doing seems to be working as Obama has clearly thrown a tantrum and has cancelled the meeting.

Dumb move on toilet mouth...

Philippines is lucky to have 4 boats that have half a can of gas and a rusty machine gun.  Right now, they stand to lose the Spratleys...if not more.

I am sure Obama had some incentives....no threats.

24 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

It was deemed OK when Thaksin did it. 

Who said it was OK?  I seem to remember outrage from the locals and the global community.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2780039.stm

Things like this  are the reason why:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/world/thai-police-officers-arrested-on-murder-charges-1-547444

THREE Thai police officers who gunned down a nine-year-old boy as part of a controversial drugs crackdown that has left more than 500 dead were arrested on murder charges yesterday.

Amazing people support these crazy things.

Edited by craigt3365

1 minute ago, lucky11 said:

....and the Americans are going to stop China?? Now, just how would Obama engineer this? 

I doubt that he's given two penneth of his thoughts to this - he is not interested in helping other nations when it has no adverse affect on the US.

Do you object to China trying to strengthen their forces and power base?

I object to China trying to strengthen their forces and power base. 

Woe be it to the traveler who crosses the wrong people in the P.I.

Bullets slipped in your backpack by security at the airport.....drugs slipped into your hotel room by the girl you brought from the bar (it does happen).  A quick phone call and you are scammed.  Now they can just go ahead and shoot you...so you have no choices.

You can still have fun...but guard your room and guard your belongings at the airport.  Bring popcorn and watch everyone get "salvaged" by hit squads...Up 2 U.

3 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Why?

Seriously you have to ask?

Because its a dog-eat-dog world with no such thing as fairness..

The goal is to stay stronger than the other guy so he cannot take what you have.

Have you ever seen a Chinese stand in a queue? Nope, they rush to the front and to hell with everyone in line. You know the only way to stop them?

An elbow jab. 

51 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

philipines has just agreed to more US troops being stationed at the 5 US army bases around the country. america is footing a massive bill for this build up after the philipines decided to remove the american forces in 1991. you would think they would be more polite.

sorry...there are no "US Bases" in the Philippines.

We do have liaisons, and tenant facilities...but no more "Bases"

You are referring to US Army Personnel to be stationed at existing "Philippine Army Bases"

This will help clarify..

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/2016/03/21/us-plans-use-five-new-bases-philippines/82072138/

Edited by slipperylobster

On 9/5/2016 at 10:59 PM, LawrenceChee said:

Philippines is a tough country to live in beyond the glitzy areas of Makati

He is right , he is elected and he's answerable to his people only

USA has no business telling him what to do ...as a first world country they have a shit record in human rights and respecting their own citizens and preventing police brutality

So let the guy do what's he is elected for ...clean up his own country ...if he fails and the country slides further down , that's their choosing and that's democracy

Stop meddling !

You saying the American cops have murdered 2,000 drug dealers this year? Believe me, I wish the USA would stay the hell out of other countries, especially the dying part to save South China Sea for Duterte and his people.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The trump of Asean ... :whistling:

Not  being entirely flip about this. (Oops.)

I randomly happened onto some "alt-right" sites directly from the trump twitter page.

That led me to an alt-right meme page, named after Right Wing Death Squads.

They don't pussyfoot around.

These people loved Duterte, loved trump, and loved Nazis too. 

I reckon if trump wins, they'll be makin' "deals" ...

This is a taste of what the US will end up with after November election when Trump win, They have the same language but Trump will go after both drug lords and illegal immigrants. They will be best pals except on the issue with the illegal Filipinos in US when Trump deport them.

9 minutes ago, Moderator01 said:

Last warning.  We've already got one member on a posting holiday.  Future off topic posts or those violating forum rules will result in the same. Stick to the topic and abide by forum rules.

One member has left the building.

I'm concerned that Duterte, in a Trump-like impulsive spasm, will give Fil territory away to the Chinese.   He's already proved, Trump-like, that he can do whatever he wants in the Philippines.  He likes to be outrageous.  Giving away Fil territory would indeed be outrageous, and would outrage most Philippinos, but once it's done, it's done.  There could be no going back.   

7 minutes ago, Michael8511 said:

This is a taste of what the US will end up with after November election when Trump win, They have the same language but Trump will go after both drug lords and illegal immigrants. They will be best pals except on the issue with the illegal Filipinos in US when Trump deport them.

Not sure how adamantly Trump would go after drug dealers if he were prez.  However, the most harmful type of drug in the US is alcohol, by far (the most harmful grouping of drugs, are Pharma, far more harmful than all illegal drugs combined).    Trump deals vodka so, by definition, Trump is a drug dealer.  He can start by busting himself,  ha ha ha ha.   Maybe that can be his second order of business on January 21st 2017, after he sends deportation squads out to round up 11 million illegal aliens to kick out.

There is an awful lot of confusion about the Tagalog phrase he allegedly uttered.

Puta Ina is an abbreviated form of Puta Ina Mo (the latter is an awful slur and always best avoided)

But I have heard all sorts of Filipinos (men and women) say 'Puta Ina'….they even say it in jest or in light hearted moments….for instance, Ive heard them say things like "Puta Ina, haven't seen you for a while".

Clearly there is some sort of colloquial meaning to Puta Ina….the media blows this up by always using the literal meaning.

Anyway, Obama did the right thing….cant be talking to anyone who uses foul language. 

12 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

USA has no business telling him what to do ...as a first world country they have a shit record in human rights and respecting their own citizens and preventing police brutality

Care to enlighten us on what that long list of human rights violations is? Sounds like your parroting something you read on facebook. Police brutality, sure, like many countries that's an issue. Has nothing to do with the central government. 

12 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

Philippines is a tough country to live in beyond the glitzy areas of Makati

He is right , he is elected and he's answerable to his people only

So let the guy do what's he is elected for ...clean up his own country ...if he fails and the country slides further down , that's their choosing and that's democracy

Stop meddling !

Yep, the USA has no right to tell the head of a sovereign nation what to do.

But they have every right to stop all forms of aid to anyone they want to. And cease military co-operation.

Good luck when he tries to stimulate the Philippine economy and assert their South China sea rights without US backing.

He must be mad to bite the hand of a nation that feeds them so much help.

Having said that, the US had no problems giving with "friends" doing something similar a few years back

Make your mind up America. You can't turn a blind eye to 'friends" of Wall Street and then complain about others. Be consistent if nothing else.

Edited by Baerboxer

With regards to the Thaksin comparison, I can't say much about what's going on in the PI, not familiar enough about the situation. Duterte's attitude during the whole situation certainly has not helped his case. In the case of what happened here though under Thaksin I don't think it was a case of police being ordered to execute traffickers, it was the case of the police covering their tracks when the crack downs occurred. 

Pres. Duterte sounds like an O.K. bloke to me, slagging off Obama, the " Yes we can" phoney walking disaster of a Pol.

Also giving the verbals to another pair of totally useless people, the " Pope " and Mr Fixit, the pride of S. Korea Bank-ki-Moon.

Keep up the good work Pres. Duterte, as all these traitors, so called Leaders of the " Free " World are going to get worse than

a slagging off when the Sheeple wake up.

Just now, jcsmith said:

With regards to the Thaksin comparison, I can't say much about what's going on in the PI, not familiar enough about the situation. Duterte's attitude during the whole situation certainly has not helped his case. In the case of what happened here though under Thaksin I don't think it was a case of police being ordered to execute traffickers, it was the case of the police covering their tracks when the crack downs occurred. 

Over 1,000 killed by vigilante squads in the PI.  He's made it open season on supposed drug traffickers.  This really sums it up.  Sick...I would hope those posting here would look at this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3710940/Harrowing-pictures-brutal-truth-Philippines-war-drugs-s-seen-300-killed-just-one-month-president-ordered-police-bars-ground.html

It didn't work out so well here in Thailand either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiership_of_Thaksin_Shinawatra#Anti-drug_policies

"Of 2,500 deaths in the government's war on drugs in 2003, a fact-finding panel has found that more than half was not involved in drug at all. At a brainstorming session, a representative from the Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) Tuesday disclosed that as many as 1,400 people were killed and labeled as drug suspects despite the fact that they had no link to drugs. ... Senior public prosecutor Kunlapon Ponlawan said it was not difficult to investigate extra-judicial killings carried out by police officers as the trigger-pullers usually confessed."[43][44]

I'm amazed anybody can support this sort of stuff.

It's a difficult diplomatic situation for the U.S.

I don't recall the leader of a historic close ally of the U.S. insulting BOTH the ambassador and the president in such disgusting ways.

Duterte is obviously not fit to be their leader.

But he is.

Forgetting that horrible man, the diplomatic issue remains. 

It's still in the national interest of both the Philippines and the USA to have good relations. Both have a lot to lose if they break down. Duterte has greatly damaged those relations but it's not in the USA interest to do the emotional thing and not only cancel meeting with him but to dramatically back off from relations.

How can the U.S. ambassador function in that environment? If the U.S. changes him, then that's a cave in, so they won't do that.

Anyway, I trust Obama and the likely next U.S. president Hillary Clinton to be able to finesse this mess more DIPLOMATICALLY than the Duterte of the USA ... dangerous donald trump would.

On the other hand trump has a pattern of admiring stong murderous leaders (such as putin) so if trump is elected, you've got two egomaniac demagogic  unpredictable powder kegs dealing with each other ... hard to predict. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, JohnDodd said:

Pres. Duterte sounds like an O.K. bloke to me, slagging off Obama, the " Yes we can" phoney walking disaster of a Pol.

Also giving the verbals to another pair of totally useless people, the " Pope " and Mr Fixit, the pride of S. Korea Bank-ki-Moon.

Keep up the good work Pres. Duterte, as all these traitors, so called Leaders of the " Free " World are going to get worse than

a slagging off when the Sheeple wake up.

So you are supporting this?  I sure hope not.  Blame everybody else rather than the real criminal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3710940/Harrowing-pictures-brutal-truth-Philippines-war-drugs-s-seen-300-killed-just-one-month-president-ordered-police-bars-ground.html

The wife of the victim said he was not a drug peddler and that he was nothing more than a pedicab driver plying his trade when he was shot in front of her

36A22BA500000578-0-image-m-77_1469629488