Thai Culture Course 4 temp license required?

onlycw

Sounds like there will basically be no NES teachers left in Thailand if the requirements are so stringent. Why teach here for peanuts if you can get paid triple if not more in another Asian country. Well done Thailand, you have basically cut your own nose off to spite yourself.

• 2 months later...

I applied to join the Culture Course at Far Eastern University in Chiang Mai due to start on 2nd December, but they have just cancelled it and said I will have to go to Bangkok to do it. As this is the 3rd time I have attempted to go on this course, they say they may exempt me from it.....or may not..... Utterly ridiculous! 

• 3 weeks later...

It is on the Krusapah's website though, and still valid. I also know people who did the course last year, and not at the places on the website ( I actually posed a question on here about its validity as I thought it was a scam. It is confusing though as it seems some info on the site is up to date, while other information is out of date.

my wife used to work in our office, and organised teacher's licences, waiver letters etc

Not to read as repetitive, but suffice to say an actual Teacher License is being issued to Filipino's at present, regardless of the actual authenticity of said "Education" degree from said country. That's the current trend. Fill the Government schools with Filipino's and hope the parents don't notice or care about the fact it isn't English or "western" logic and decisions making skills. OO and God Bless the Philippines. Heroes. 

The Filipinos that I know who have received a full Teacher's License, have completed the Licensure exam in the Philippines.   The exam is a gov't sponsored system and those applying to take the exam, must have completed the course from an accredited Philippine's University.   The gov't vets those taking the exam, so there is really no need to further vet the qualifications.  

4 hours ago, Scott said:

The Filipinos that I know who have received a full Teacher's License, have completed the Licensure exam in the Philippines.   The exam is a gov't sponsored system and those applying to take the exam, must have completed the course from an accredited Philippine's University.   The gov't vets those taking the exam, so there is really no need to further vet the qualifications.  

Famous last words.....I personally know some Filipinos who can't have an intelligent conversation in English yet have a Thai Teacher's License and have it based upon I guess passing the "exam" you cite. It's okay with me, they are heroes in the Philippines as are the millions of others who send money back there. OO and God Bless You too Scott.

I supervised a number of schools and over the past 25+ years, I have worked with well over 500 and possibly 1,000 Filipino teachers.   I would not paint them all with the same brush, either good or bad.

The ones who get a Teacher's License are those who majored in education.   Those without a degree in education are in the same shoes as everyone else without an education degree.  

I do know there is a system in place that vets them.   Like all systems, it does not assure that they are competent.   It means they passed a test and met a standard that is recognized by the MOE.   Certainly not all of them majored in English.   Virtually none of the ones I supervised taught English.   They taught subjects IN ENGLISH, but not the actual subject, English.  

The same is true of Native speakers, some are qualified in their home country, but that does not completely assure they are competent.  Native speakers, who have home country qualifications, are also eligible for a Teacher's License.   

19 hours ago, nellyp said:

There is a place in Bangkok that anybody with a degree (any degree) can get a Philippines teacher's license. Good or bad, it is an option. 

Having a Teacher's License (a piece of paper) will not get you anything.   The Philippines has an official listing and website for all the people who have passed a wide range of exams set by the gov't.  

In order to get a license here, we have to provide the degree, the transcript, the License and the verification from the website.    Those who have passed the education license are eligible for a Teacher's License in Thailand.   Those that have taken that exam (or any other gov't exam listed), are eligible for the waiver.  

No system is fail proof.  

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Having a Teacher's License (a piece of paper) will not get you anything.   The Philippines has an official listing and website for all the people who have passed a wide range of exams set by the gov't.  

In order to get a license here, we have to provide the degree, the transcript, the License and the verification from the website.    Those who have passed the education license are eligible for a Teacher's License in Thailand.   Those that have taken that exam (or any other gov't exam listed), are eligible for the waiver.  

No system is fail proof.  

Good morning. It's not a matter of being "fail safe". We are talking about the education of Thai youth here, not some tricky bar ploy. If the teacher can't have an intelligent conversation in English, how can he/she "teach" any subject in said language?(this assumes of course they aren't Thai and/or have the ability to speak Thai fluently). OO and God Bless These Heroes.

1 minute ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Good morning. It's not a matter of being "fail safe". We are talking about the education of Thai youth here, not some tricky bar ploy. If the teacher can't have an intelligent conversation in English, how can he/she "teach" any subject in said language?(this assumes of course they aren't Thai and/or have the ability to speak Thai fluently). OO and God Bless These Heroes.

Well, I can't really answer your question because in addition to the Teacher's License they also have to take a TOEIC, or some other English language equivalency exam.   But even with all that, why would anyone hire someone who can't carry on an intelligent conversation.   Don't they have to have an interview and a demonstration class?   

1 minute ago, Scott said:

But even with all that, why would anyone hire someone who can't carry on an intelligent conversation.   Don't they have to have an interview and a demonstration class?   

The answer to the "why" is quite obvious, because of the money, the amount of wages they have to or can get away with paying, i.e. very low, and the willingness to stay in housing just above the poverty levels, no AC, no hot water, five to an apartment etc.. As for an interview and demonstration class, an interview is possible but not always part of the deal. Demonstration classes are not at all normal here in Thailand, in Government schools anyhow. 

As a side note, and not being critical at all, I see the positive side...any and all Filipino's want to give you the answer you want to hear. This isn't seen as a "lie" in said culture. So at an "interview" or during a conversation, you will often find yourself asking and answering your own questions yourself. It can be frustrating unless you accept it as the norm. God Bless You Scott. 

Well, I think that we have hit on a core problem.   I don't think anyone should be hired without an interview and a demonstration class.   I always ask them to prepare a demonstration of about 15-20 minutes, that should include some visual aids.   They chose the subject and the age level -- it is for them to demonstrate their ability.   If it is a very specific job, such as teaching Physics to G. 11, then that is what they would be requested to demonstrate, but for a general position, it's up to them.  

A few don't actually get to the demonstration portion because they are not understandable.   The interview is more an exchange of information and for us to give them an idea of what is expected.   During the interview it becomes fairly obvious if someone is not able to communicate well in English.  

Pretty much everyone agrees to the terms in the interview, whether they are Westerners or Filipino.   The difference is one week after starting the Westerners will be complaining about the terms and conditions and the Filipinos will wait a lot longer.  

3 hours ago, Scott said:

No system is fail proof.  

As I said, I personally know 3 people who have a full teacher's licence because of the course. My wife did their applications.

There is a place in Bangkok that anybody with a degree (any degree) can get a Philippines teacher's license. Good or bad, it is an option. 

I really doubt that you can get a Philippines teacher license in Bangkok, Thailand. I guess for that you've to be in The Philippines.

On a side note, in Bangkok you can do a Graduate Diploma in Teaching course provided by the Philippines IFUGAO State University at the costs of about 60,000 THB and takes about 1 year of study. Graduates are eligible for the TCT teacher license provided that they've done the TCC.

True, they cannot get a Philippines Teacher's License in Thailand.   They must take the exam in the Philippines.   Most graduates take it shortly after graduating.   We have had a few who returned to take the exam.  

If they take the exam, even if they fail, it will be recorded on the site and before they take the exam the certification is verified.   As with a lot of gov't things, it's pretty tough to fake it.   So, if an applicant has taken the test, it will be recorded and you can be sure that there degree is valid.  

We often send a copy of the page and the link to the MOE.  

8 hours ago, Scott said:

No system is fail proof.  

It appears I am writing posts and pressing enter instead of the submit button. as with this one I just found "As I said, I personally know 3 people who have a full teacher's licence because of the course. My wife did their applications."

It appears I am writing posts and pressing enter instead of the submit button. as with this one I just found "As I said, I personally know 3 people who have a full teacher's licence because of the course. My wife did their applications."

I wrote a caveat to my post about the Teacher's License, stating that it was, in fact, a diploma. It is the same place as Aidenai is talking about.

It looks like a few of my replies have not made it to the forum. I stated  the type of qualification, cost , realtion to filli education system etc. I need to concentrate a bit more on pushing the right buttons. Perhaps it is because I have started to use my smartphone more than my computer.

Sorry for the confusion. The people I know recieved their licenses because they took the diploma with St. Roberts as part of IFUGAO

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 6:29 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

Famous last words.....I personally know some Filipinos who can't have an intelligent conversation in English yet have a Thai Teacher's License and have it based upon I guess passing the "exam" you cite. It's okay with me, they are heroes in the Philippines as are the millions of others who send money back there. OO and God Bless You too Scott.

You forgot one important sentence.

" More Power to You." :shock1:

Archived