Yellowshirt leader Sondhi jailed 20 years for fraud

webfact

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Not his guts but his vindictive personal vendetta and it was all about finance or rather business disputes with Thaksin. 

His business failures are well documented and he was bailed out by a forgiveness loan by Viroj of state owned Krung Thai Bank during Thaksin government. He was full of praise for Thaksin calling him the best ever PM.

When Viroj was dismissed due to large dodgy loans by Thaksin government, he turn 360 and attack Thaksin on his Channel 11/1 which subsequently was temporary closed down and that infuriated him and intensified the attacks at his weekly Lumpini Park rallies.

Thaksin political enemies seized the opportunity and rest was history.    

Krung Thai Bank - isn't Thaksin avoiding a corruption case involving that bank? One where other defendants have been convicted and also sentenced to lengthy prison terms?

See why Amnesty so attractive now eh Eric?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I a bad person? I saw the headline mentioning Sondhi and thought to myself: "What's he been up to now?". So as it came into focus and I scrolled across to read "for 20 years", I actually laughed out loud.

Sorry.

My bad.

Phht!  default_gigglem.gif

21 hours ago, Siripon said:

He always said he wouldn't run away and to his credit he didn't, unlike Watana and Thaksin.

Having said that I knew personally some of his journalist staff who weren't paid for many months back in the crisis in 1997 whilst no doubt he was still living comfortably.

I down, plenty more to go. Expect a few border hoppers in the next few months.

I'm not sure that he had a choice. I'm pretty sure the police or maybe the court had his passport, he's a well-known face, and I don't think he could have gotten out by air. He probably could have taken a boat to the Cambodian gambling resort island, like Kamnan Poh or wossisname, Chalerm's son. Remember Thaksin was in the U.S. when the Army conducted their coup against him and would have been reckless to come back -- I think it's unfair to say he "fled." I don't know what Watana you're talking about -- the snooker player? But he spells that with two 't's, doesn't he?

Edited by Acharn

On 6 September, 2016 at 3:55 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

thought the yellows are in power. why is a yellow getting locked up?

Very good question….I don't think I could tell you the real reasons here…but google Andrew Macgregor Marshall and read his account…fascinating stuff….takes a couple of hours to get through it but riveting stuff.

On 9/6/2016 at 6:26 PM, Anthony5 said:

Don't know what country club prisons are, but Thailand has some kind of open prisons where the prisoners live as a community in the forests, without guards.

"Country club prisons" are prisons which provide comfortable facilities and only minimal restrictions on freedom of movement. As far as I know they are all federal (U.S. government) facilities. Here's an explanation: http://www.cnbc.com/2012/01/19/The-Best-Places-to-Go-to-Prison.html

14 hours ago, Acharn said:

I'm not sure that he had a choice. I'm pretty sure the police or maybe the court had his passport, he's a well-known face, and I don't think he could have gotten out by air. He probably could have taken a boat to the Cambodian gambling resort island, like Kamnan Poh or wossisname, Chalerm's son. Remember Thaksin was in the U.S. when the Army conducted their coup against him and would have been reckless to come back -- I think it's unfair to say he "fled." I don't know what Watana you're talking about -- the snooker player? But he spells that with two 't's, doesn't he?

You're forgetting Thaksin came back and then went to the Olympics from which he did not return. I believe Sonthi could have fled to China, certainlty Cambodia would have been unwise, yellow shirts hated by Hun Sen but Sonthi was always brave. Wily, deceptIve 

7ve, yes but also brave. He alone stood up against Thaksin in 2006 which was courageous.Sorry for typo, can't delete

53 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

THis puts an interesting perspective on the affair

"Thai Media Magnate Pays the Price for Backing Wrong Faction" - Asia Sentinal

I was waiting for someone to have the courage to post that link!

1 hour ago, cumgranosalum said:

THis puts an interesting perspective on the affair

"Thai Media Magnate Pays the Price for Backing Wrong Faction" - Asia Sentinal

I don't buy it. That analysis fails because for years there has been ample opportunity to put Sondhi away and they never did. He is still a right-wing player.

Suthep voluntarily did monkhood for a year to provide a gloss of sanctity to the cause. Sondhi is doing porridge for a year (or less) to provide a gloss of impartiality to the cause. The people are readily duped by this kind of window dressing. It will allow the deep state to pull off some particularly heinous abuse of power and get away with it. That is coming.

13 hours ago, Siripon said:

You're forgetting Thaksin came back and then went to the Olympics from which he did not return. I believe Sonthi could have fled to China, certainlty Cambodia would have been unwise, yellow shirts hated by Hun Sen but Sonthi was always brave. Wily, deceptIve 

7ve, yes but also brave. He alone stood up against Thaksin in 2006 which was courageous.Sorry for typo, can't delete

You're right, I did forget that. Thanks for correcting me. Yes, I did not like Sonthi, but he was undeniably brave and stuck to what he believed in.

On 9/6/2016 at 9:42 PM, Denim said:

If you think he was sand-bagged it might be worth considering that he himself filled those sandbags. He was not as smart as he thought and is paying a token price for his lack of foresight.

It is interesting to ponder why......if he was such a big player in bringing down Thaksin ....he and his close associates played almost no part in Sutheps protests .

Superficially....there are several reasons.

But anyone who watched his YouTube posts from America boasting of how exceedingly high people asked for his assistance in dealing with Thaksin will know that he is paying the price for shooting his mouth off about his untouchable connections. Icarus revisited.

Still ...... he is just a crumb fallen from the table. He has actually been given this sentence for non political crimes. His real political crimes will go unpunished.

Well it might be worth your while to read about the context behind what you read,

and then read for content when you do, before critiquing something you clearly don't understand. 

Sandbagged by Thaksin BEFORE this, he  then tried to recover and did it wrong.

I also have no doubts that Thaksin was making SURE just taking the usual route

to financial recovery would have been as difficult as possible.

Also this was WAY before Suthep's protests against Thaksin's sister, nearly a decade earlier.

And the actions I speak of nearly a decade before that.  Yes they are about Thaksin governance,

and his puppet governments but also Chavalit's government where Thaksin was a player.

In any event, your time frame references are far off.

He was removing a partner in one business, but also probable financial rival from the satellite market,

and was not going to make it easy for him. A classic Thaksin M.O., shown over decades.

Sondhi got much of his revenge with P.A.D. and Thaksin no doubt holds that grudge till his deathbed.

But this stuff is out there documented and it is up to you to look for it.

Don't bother asking my to do your due diligence for you.

Edited by animatic
removing box, adding context.