Furious Chumphon residents warn motorists Thai style after serious accidents

webfact

Furious Chumphon residents warn motorists Thai style after serious accidents

p2.jpg

Image: Manager Online

CHUMPHON: -- Angry residents in Chumphon in the south of Thailand took matters into their own hands after a potholed road caused several accidents.

Motorists ended up in Chumphon Hospital after cars and bikes went into the big holes on a ten metre stretch of the Petchkasem Road in Wang Mai district, reported Manager Online.

So locals got banana and cassava plants and planted them in the road as a temporary warning.

Reporters were told that two accidents had occurred only last night and there had been several before. The section of road in question had been "finished" after repair less than a month ago.

Police were called and they did their bit by parking a vehicle with its lights flashing to warn motorists.

Then the contractor arrived and got an earful from the residents. A barrier and warning lights were then put in amid promises that the section would be properly repaired.

The contractor blamed subsidence and heavy use of the road.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-06

Subsidence:  To be anticipated and compensated for at the engineering stage and/or by a competent contractor.  Or as the earlier poster implied:  get rid of the sand sub-base and use the only acceptable material of crushed rock  (but crushed rock is so much more expensive!).  

Heavy use of the road:  What about the stretches just before and after the 10-meter defective stretch?   Did the road usage frequency suddenly drop?  

Two typical lame excuses by a substandard or corrupt contractor, and those who hire them. 

Edited by Fookhaht

Did a trip from Chiang Mai to Suhkothai a couple of weeks ago.  6 times, going and coming, you have to switch to just 2 lanes on one side of the road or the other due to "repairs" they are making.  In not one of those repair spots did I see any - ANY - crushed gravel.  Sand only.  And people wonder why they have to be constantly "repaired". 

1 hour ago, TEFLKrabi said:

They're certainly trying to fix it. From Cha Am to to Chumpon I thin we switched to two lanes maybe 8-10 times! Not much fun for driving.

Yeah, especially when you're on a CB300f with a full back pack, and doing your best to outrun and/or avoid the traffic. 

lol

section of road in question had been "finished" after repair less than a month ago.

"The contractor blamed subsidence and heavy use of the road. "  :blink:

Been driving this road for 30 years now and when you pass Hadyai and Sadao and enter Malaysia its like coming to an other planet, the road is smooth and no potholes (and not to mention you can actually enjoy driving, no crazy Thai style driving )

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The contractor blamed subsidence and heavy use of the road.:lol:

Petchkasem Road, running from Thonburi (Bangkok) to Hat Yai. Perhaps the contractor could build a sturdier highway surface? 

get an engineering soil survey if the soil is unstable. best to tackle the problem at the source.

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Did a trip from Chiang Mai to Suhkothai a couple of weeks ago.  6 times, going and coming, you have to switch to just 2 lanes on one side of the road or the other due to "repairs" they are making.  In not one of those repair spots did I see any - ANY - crushed gravel.  Sand only.  And people wonder why they have to be constantly "repaired". 

if you do not use the right materials  sure the soil sink.

3 hours ago, sahibji said:

get an engineering soil survey if the soil is unstable. best to tackle the problem at the source.

Your'e missing the point, corruption from contractors, civic officials, village headsmen,  all result in either sub standard work, incorrect materials, backhanders.

The start of the main 226 out of Surin  was relaid 18 months ago but less than 12 months later the road was falling apart in places. The village roads last half that. 

They know it won't last just gives them another opportunity to make more money later. 

I had to replace both front tyres after hitting a few deep potholes and there were quite a few miles left in them too, couldnt even see the holes and how deep they were till you were on top of them(80k zone), would be great to be able to take these so called contractors to court for the absolute sh*t job they do. I have seen roads that are not even a month old starting to break down again, they use absolute crap material so they can pocket as much as possible and then there are all those above them that do the same. Way past time that engineers set the standard of what is required, trouble is they tend to die in accidents or their families do if they actually knock back the work for being crap. The corruption involved in these deals is huge but the govt refuses to do anything about it and it starts at the top of the tree and filters down through those below, really need to start arresting all those involved no matter how high up they are and to ensure that engineering standards are used, road base would be a great start, not red clay and sand

Not to mention the tissue thin coating of bitumen the roads gets. To me they are deliberately made substandard so in a year or two they need fixing. They do look impressive when they are new but like most things in Thailand looks are everything and substance doesn't count...

Just drove through a torrential downpour on a moped / motorbike. Could have done with those banana tree warnings of potholes. When the road floods its literally pot luck in trying to avoid the pot holes, you can't see em. I went straight down one and my bottle of milk I'd just bought at the 7 jolted off my bike and floated away. Still the roads are bad but not as bad as some neighbouring countries. Cambodia.

Edited by Wilsonandson

Reminds me of many many years ago when local Govt (Council) employees laid one side of a road in Sydney (divided by median strip), and private contractors employed by the builders who had built blocks of units, laid the road on the other side (an 'experiment') - almost 2kms in total length. The private contractors not only did the road, they also laid guttering/driveways, and it was all done in a week.  The other side took almost a month, with no guttering.  I lived there for almost 5 years (drove on it most days), and the Govt worked started to pothole after 1 year (many repair jobs done) and large parts were re-laid several times. The private contractor side rarely got a pothole and was still fine when we moved to another house.   Never dangerous - but the local council workers always had work to do  :)  And they loved that weekend work (double salary rates plus penalties) :D

It will take time, but eventually here will change too - when my son's son retires here ??? :lol:

15 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Yeah, especially when you're on a CB300f with a full back pack, and doing your best to outrun and/or avoid the traffic. 

lol

Yeah. Those bikes aren't a great choice for Thailand.

You should have bought a KLX250s or CRF250 

19 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The contractor blamed subsidence and heavy use of the road.:lol:

Petchkasem Road, running from Thonburi (Bangkok) to Hat Yai. Perhaps the contractor could build a sturdier highway surface? 

The contractor didn't think the road would be used by vehicles, but mainly for decoration and an occasional bicycle...