JJGreen

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

If you look at most Thais, or Asians generally,  they have no or very small nose bridges (most have cute button noses). The lack of any substantial nose bridge makes wearing any kind of glasses difficult...they just slide down the nose/face.

That's true Mr. Trump if nobody ever tells them that because of those high intake laotian nostrils and pug nose, their only hope is the much higher priced ones with adjustable frames that can pinch the bridge (or with pads removed can be directly nostil inserted if necessary to reduce slippage).

Meanwhile I was stunned first here and wife didn't even know difference between plain plastic I didn't think could get anymore vs. even polaroid when she was convinced it didn't make any difference whether wearing sunglasses or not really except to keep dirt out when riding motorbike. 

One might say the real answer like many things to catch up on, the importance of sunglasses is a good example of how long many have been required to live like mushrooms kept in the dark and fed a steady diet of bullshit. Sometimes from family members who know enough about English and the rest of the world to be more dangerous than knowing they know nothing.

2 hours ago, crutchy26 said:

Male Thais wear sunglasses when they are WELDING. Does that count?

It will be a blight until someone takes this situation in hand. I foresee many-a-blinded-generation Thai in the future, due to 'their' lack-of-knowledge of welding 'burns'.

Agree. Welding flash is on a range of wavelengths,and proper welding goggles or helmets are needed. Sunglasses are useless.

7 hours ago, transam said:

The human race has been on this planet for zillions of years without sun glasses, folk evolved over those years without sun glasses. It is a new phenomena created for man if they so choose to use them..

Personally I hate the vision through them when l tried them...

What's the windscreen tint level of your SUV?

On 9/6/2016 at 4:39 PM, OMGImInPattaya said:

If you look at most Thais, or Asians generally,  they have no or very small nose bridges (most have cute button noses). The lack of any substantial nose bridge makes wearing any kind of glasses difficult...they just slide down the nose/face.

Bullshite  most Asians I know wear glasses, more then western people do, the glasses have no effect on the nose at all 

your glasses are held back by the ears unless you are colonel Klink and you can wear just one glass 

Go into any market anywhere in Thailand and you're almost sure to find a stall selling glasses. They've usually got hundreds of pairs both sun and ordinary glass. The lenses are graded and you can usually see many customers trying on pairs with varying strength lenses until they find a pair that suits them.

The cost? about 100 baht depending on how fancy the frames are. If they got a prescription pair from an optition the cost would be ten times that at least. They may well be doing their eyes no good by going for the cheap option but prohibitive prices charged for a 'proper' pair puts them out of the reach of many Thais.

JJ, You come across a a nice person, however your questions seem to be as if they've come from a naieve young man who has limited experience of living in other than the country of your origin. May I offer in the form of advice the following suggestion, and take this particular question as an example. This forum consists of, in general, English reading/writing visitors, of varying lengths of stay and experience in Thailand, so whenever you ask a question concerning the habits of the 76,000,000 indigenous Thai people, the answers you are going to get is the perceptions that the visitors have about the Thais. May therefore suggest that in finding out what or why Thai people do, or don't do, something, then the closer to the true answer you require would be by asking a number of Thais that question. Thais are always asking farangs the most direct question, and I do not think they would take offence on being asked a trivial question on sunglasses.

Sataire (sp) said, "There is no truth. There is only our individual perception of it"

Whilst my father said, "If you want to know something about meat, then ask the butcher, and not the block".

Hope this helps in future.

Edited by mankondang

JJ, You come across a a nice person, however your questions seem to be as if they've come from a naieve young man who has limited experience of living in other than the country of your origin. May I offer in the form of advice the following suggestion, and take this particular question as an example. This forum consists of, in general, English reading/writing visitors, of varying lengths of stay and experience in Thailand, so whenever you ask a question concerning the habits of the 76,000,000 indigenous Thai people, the answers you are going to get is the perceptions that the visitors have about the Thais. May therefore suggest that in finding out what or why Thai people do, or don't do, something, then the closer to the true answer you require would be by asking a number of Thais that question. Thais are always asking farangs the most direct question, and I do not think they would take offence on being asked a trivial question on sunglasses.

Sataire (sp) said, "There is no truth. There is only our individual perception of it"

Whilst my father said, "If you want to know something about meat, then ask the butcher, and not the block".

Hope this helps in future.

It doesnt help much at all... i am not looking for personal advice or observations dude...your unasked for advice comes across as condescending and..well...naive in a cringeworthy way.

Your advice on asking Thai people of course makes sense...

Anything to offer on the subject opinion wise?

1 minute ago, JJGreen said:

It doesnt help much at all... i am not looking for personal advice or observations dude...your unasked for advice comes across as condescending and..well...naive in a cringeworthy way.

Your advice on asking Thai people of course makes sense...

Anything to offer on the subject opinion wise?

No. Your a childish troll, hence go away and play.

No. Your a childish troll, hence go away and play.

Ahhhh...so now the real mankonfang comes out.
Dude..you offer a bombastic put down masked with condescending advice... and when i reject the nonsense you come back with a pouting response.

U must feel very clever.

Please....add an opinion actually on topic

23 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Im suggesting thai people dont wear sunglasses very often when there seems a need to it

There is no need for them.I don't wear them and wear clear glasses on the bike.I like people to see me looking at them.In Oz,they are a must,headache in 5 minutes without them.

A post containing a slur tpward another nationality has been removed as well as the replies:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

A post containing links to other forums has been removed as well as the replies:

13) You will not post links to other Thailand forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to Thaivisa.com or its sponsors.

Great another "interesting" thread from JJ .  

Thais do not wear sunglasses  as much as Europeans and Americans because they are used to the sun here and it's not much of a fashion thing among the poor / average people here so they see no point in wearing them. Besides Thais don't want to expose themselves to the sun , they stay in the shades if they can . 

You will see Thai celebrities wearing expensive sunglasses to impress. Police also wear them , maybe because they think they look like better cops with them  Even mafia here wear them . 

So now we can wait for the next thread from JJ about why Thais use umbrellas in the sun . I am sure you can get 100 replies on that topic. 

Edited by balo

No one seems to have mentioned the race thing.  Like all animals, the races of man have, over time, developed adaptations to the places they were; light skin in the north, dark where it's more sunny, Inuit handle cold well, central Africans not so much.  Eyes are same, races from the tropics can cope with more sun than our lighter coloured northern eyes can. 

OK, they still have issues at times, but we'd have far worse without sunglasses.  I'm Scots BTW - very pale skin that doesn't tan well and light blue eyes - I got pretty much this lecture from an optician when he heard I was going to Thailand, he made me promise to wear good sunglasses, ones with a real UV rating (not street copies).  Apparently light blue eyes are the most vulnerable to UV.  Bugger.

On 9/7/2016 at 7:35 AM, geronimo said:

My two cents worth.....

People wear sunglasses for two reasons,

1 to stop the glare getting their eyes

2 To hide their eyes as they have something to hide

Many politicians wear them frequently and I think they belong to the latter group.

True, but not only in Thailand.

14391984191439198669l.jpg

red_bullheir.jpeg.size.custom.crop.1086x739.jpg

s4.jpg

I too had wondered why so few Thais wear sunglasses, but many good explanations on this thread from the dark brown Asian eyes having adapted to the high light levels (unlike blue eyes) - to them not staying 'put' on the 'usual' Thai nose.

The cheap sunglasses are worse than no sunglasses at all (as I discovered one day when picking up someone else's sunglasses by mistake) - which may explain why the majority of Thais don't even wear them to protect their eyes when riding their scooters?

On 9/6/2016 at 10:39 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

Are you saying these people don't have any ears?

On 9/6/2016 at 5:33 PM, Berkshire said:

JJ....you seem to be one of those annoying know-it-all's who spend their lives meddling into other people's business.  Like everything else, moderation is preferred.  Exposure to sunlight--even your eyes (not directly of course)--is beneficial.    

[On an average sunny day, however, wearing sunglasses is the last thing you want to do for your vision health, because you will be blocking potentially beneficial wavelengths of light from reaching your eyes. There are actually more than 1,500 wavelengths of light that you need to nourish your eyes. So I avoid using sunglasses, because I believe your eyes need to receive the full spectrum of light to function optimally, and sunglasses block out some essential waves of the light spectrum.]

[Your 'body clock' is also housed in tiny centers located in the hypothalamus, controlling your body's circadian rhythm. This light-sensitive rhythm is dependent on Mother Nature, with its natural cycles of light and darkness, to function optimally. Consequently, anything that disrupts these rhythms, like inadequate sunlight exposure to your body (including your eyes), has a far-reaching impact on your body's ability to function. The best way to get exposure to healthy full-spectrum light is to do it the way nature intended, by going out in the sun with your bare skin – and 'bare' eyes -- exposed on a regular basis.]

To put it another way, I have a golfer friend who explained to me that professional golfers spend an awful lot of time out in the sun.  If you look back in the day, most pro golfers of years past didn't really wear sunglasses much, if at all.  And today, these same guys like Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, etc., all in their 70's and 80's, don't seem to have any vision problems associated with unprotected exposure to sunlight (but they all do wear ballcaps or visors, more important I think).  So my question to you is, what the freak are you on about?

What does your golfer friend think about his body clock being housed in tiny centers located in his  hypothalamus? And all those wavelengths to contend with too.

Does it put him off his stroke?

On 9/6/2016 at 3:39 PM, OMGImInPattaya said:

there is your answer,folks my other half had hers 'done  job done.lol

Edited by KBsinter

I wear dark glasses all the time, including inside shopping malls and even into early evening, because I suffer from photophobia, a condition I have learned to live with over thirty years - this means that bright sunlight makes me squint, become nauseous and causes painful headaches. The problem was not so bad when I lived in the West where photo grey lenses would take care of the problem, here the light is so powerful that photo grey isn't effective. So now I have two pairs of glasses, a regular pair I use at home for computer work and a dark pair I wear the rest of the time, both are made to the same varifocal prescription. And yes, on occasion a "<deleted>" westerner in a shopping mall will give me an odd look but what am I supposed to do, stop and tell him/her my medical history so that in future they will understand!

Photo grey less efective becos we are nearer equator i.e. less strong ultra violet rays. Next time take a look whrn you are up the mountains