Dress code and behavior in public

johna

Yesterday on the BTS, I saw a white, late teenage girl wearing a T shirt that reached her waist, a lightweight jacket, unbuttoned at the front, but covering her behind, and panties. that's it, I had to look twice to make sure they were not short pants. I then looked away in disgust. Where do they get this dress code, from Madonna or Lady Gaga on stage?? (I would happily give this girl money for tattoos and nipple rings to complete her ensemble) 

This follows right on the heels of watching 4 Dutch people openly groping each other on a plane from  Amsterdam. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes us Dutch are quite open minded not prude like some posters. 

And if a girl wants to wear this.. her choice.. if your bothered by it why check her out.. 

Are you a christian or something like that ?

Not wrong in the West, but in Thailand, it's spitting in the face of Thai culture.  When in Rome, do as the Romans.  It's that simple.  Many farangs behave--and dress--disgustingly in Thailand.  You cannot deny this.

There is the question of decorum and social mores. If 21st century Thai social mores dictate that this form of attire is inappropriate, then so be it. Not for us to say. But this is a foreigner criticizing another foreigner (presumably), so perhaps His Loftiness should be asked to comment: http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/dress-inappropriately-or-dance-provocatively-and-face-songkran-arrest-warns-pm/137594/

:)

6 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

Not wrong in the West, but in Thailand, it's spitting in the face of Thai culture.  When in Rome, do as the Romans.  It's that simple.  Many farangs behave--and dress--disgustingly in Thailand.  You cannot deny this.

Sure seen some old guys in stained wife beaters and a fat beer belly. Totally disgusting to go to nice shopping centers like that. But perhaps they were tourists and did not know any better. Us expats should know better.. you cant expect the same from tourists. Like it or not this is a tourist country and they make loads of money from tourists. 

Personally when I go out a nice pair of jeans.. good shoes and expensive T shirt, in and around the house.. i am a slob.. fisherman's pants and sometimes wife beaters too. But never stained and they are not pulled out of place by a fat belly. 

37 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

have you been down some of the soi,s in pattaya?,

what the thais wear,

3 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

what the thais wear,

3 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

what the thais wear,

And where I live up country you should see what the birds are wearing at the shopping centres, not that I ogle..........:whistling:

33 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure seen some old guys in stained wife beaters and a fat beer belly. Totally disgusting to go to nice shopping centers like that. But perhaps they were tourists and did not know any better. Us expats should know better.. you cant expect the same from tourists. Like it or not this is a tourist country and they make loads of money from tourists. 

Personally when I go out a nice pair of jeans.. good shoes and expensive T shirt, in and around the house.. i am a slob.. fisherman's pants and sometimes wife beaters too. But never stained and they are not pulled out of place by a fat belly. 

robblok

photo please of U in your "slob" wear  :thumbsup: 

10 minutes ago, petermik said:

robblok

photo please of U in your "slob" wear  :thumbsup: 

Why ? in and around the home i like to stay comfortable that means fishermans pants and or wife beater.. Though I recently changed wearing nike / adidas / dri fit T shirts (they keep me cool too), and wear shorts from the same brands with those.  For me its a matter of feeling good.. dont like wearing jeans in and around the house. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You've made me realise that I'm TRULY a slob around the house :( as a light top and knickers are quite enough.  Which probably explains why I'm not keen on unexpected visitors!

But I do agree that Thais already think Westerners are badly dressed and even more badly behaved....  so always dress conservatively when out.

It's called personal choice. In the house I wear as little as possible let shots and a t shirt (sleeved or sleevless) out and about well that all depends on what I'm doing out and about really. As for couples groping as you put it why the hell not most natural thing in the world. As for this girl you saw well I'm at a loss really did she have her back or front to you!!!  Your explanation seems she had her back to you as you clearly state the coat covered her bum. So did you shift places to see her front as you then say and Panties that's all. Can you explain this please. Also the and I quote 

(I would happily give this girl money for tattoos and nipple rings to complete her ensemble) 

Is a very sexist remark are you insinuating she was something other than a teenage girl!!!

Edited by Deepinthailand

Yup, I'm pretty much a bum around the house too.  If the dogs start barking (that's the door bell), damn, gotta go find a t-shirt. LOL. 

We live outside the city, laid back, but that's not a license to let go of all standards and decorum, and walk around like an ass clown.  It's a fine line between thumbing your nose at Thai society's "rules" to let all and sundry know you don't care what they think, and having some personal standards.  I admit, mine were heavily influenced by the lobotomy I received in the military.  Many of the farangs I hang around are ex or retired military, and seem to follow a similar discipline.

Just now, 55Jay said:

Yup, I'm pretty much a bum around the house too.  If the dogs start barking (that's the door bell), damn, gotta go find a t-shirt. LOL. 

We live outside the city, laid back, but that's not a license to let go of all standards and decorum, and walk around like an ass clown.  It's a fine line between thumbing your nose at Thai society's "rules" to let all and sundry know you don't care what they think, and having some personal standards.  I admit, mine were heavily influenced by the lobotomy I received in the military.  Many of the farangs I hang around are ex or retired military, and seem to follow a similar discipline.

I use the dogs as a 'door bell' too - unfortunately they frequently let me down as they're fast asleep :(:D!

I am all for decorum and making a proper effort. Before I head to town I put on my dress cargo shorts, Clean shirt (button up style if having a meeting), and cross trainers with socks. Although I have been known to wear the flip flops when I have a newish pair. No socks then of course.

what the thais wear,

You don't need to go to Pattaya. I've seen Thai women in there 20s in Ranong with next to nowt on.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes, and I have seen slobbish pot-bellied old Thai guys with their t shirts pulled up over their stomachs. When in Rome......?