Excavation work at Phuket’s Bang Ku Underpass complete

webfact

Excavation work at Phuket’s Bang Ku Underpass complete

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1473320398_1-org.jpg

The main excavation work at the Bang Ku Underpass was completed on Sept 5. Photo: Phuket Highways Office

PHUKET: -- The engineer overseeing the construction of the Bang Ku Underpass project has confirmed that the main excavation works is now complete and that the project is well on schedule to be complete by this time next year.

Phuket Highway Project Engineer Somkiet Yimpong who was assigned to oversee construction of the Bang Ku Underpass in Koh Kaew, at the north end of bypass road, toldThe Phuket News yesterday (Sept 7), “We finished the main excavation work on the main section of the underpass two days ago (Sept 5).

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/excavation-work-at-phuket-bang-ku-underpass-complete-59017.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-08

Can someone with knowledge on the Bang Ku underpass explain how it will work please?

The diagrams I managed to find on google show the temporary traffic diversions, but I'm interesting to know how the traffic flow will work after completion.

Thapkassatri road north only goes underground, allowing southbound traffic turning right onto the bypass road perpetual flow?  

Or am I missing something

39 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Can someone with knowledge on the Bang Ku underpass explain how it will work please?

The diagrams I managed to find on google show the temporary traffic diversions, but I'm interesting to know how the traffic flow will work after completion.

Thapkassatri road north only goes underground, allowing southbound traffic turning right onto the bypass road perpetual flow?  

Or am I missing something

Seems easy enough to understand. Traffic north south will go under the tunnel. Traffic into the bypass will flow right from heading south and flow left from heading north.  

Edited by LivinginKata

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

Seems easy enough to understand. Traffic north south will go under the tunnel. Traffic into the bypass will flow right from heading south and flow left from heading north.  

Thank you.

Does this mean no more traffic lights for turning right to head south into the bypass? The diagram I saw doesn't show that, might be wrong though

Just now, Argus Tuft said:

Thank you.

Does this mean no more traffic lights for turning right to head south into the bypass? The diagram I saw doesn't show that, might be wrong though

Not so sure about that.  Traffic out of the bypass turning right into Phuket Town will need a traffic light phase. So I expect traffic light still required, but only one short phase.

Ahh, okay.

When it was first proposed, I thought the tunnel would send all southbound traffic through a tunnel onto the bypass road (the majority of the traffic) - I suppose a tunnel curving underground to the right would have been far too expensive though

Anyway, I guess it will be better than it was before, and these guys seem to be doing a sterling job on their progress unlike the Tesco debacle which continues to drag on and on and on and on....

4 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Ahh, okay.

When it was first proposed, I thought the tunnel would send all southbound traffic through a tunnel onto the bypass road (the majority of the traffic) - I suppose a tunnel curving underground to the right would have been far too expensive though

Anyway, I guess it will be better than it was before, and these guys seem to be doing a sterling job on their progress unlike the Tesco debacle which continues to drag on and on and on and on....

Wow ... a curving tunnel would be impressive ... but unrealistic.  I really don't know the plan but I suppose right turning into Phuket Town could be forced left and do a u-turn back into town and under the tunnel. But that would make too much sense ...

Same thought as myself - right turns into Phuket town turn from bypass go left up Thepkassatri and do a U-turn above the tunnel

And yes, totally agree a right curved tunnel probably in the realms of fantasy!

Anyway - too late now, was just curious to how it will finish up

On 10 September 2016 at 9:43 PM, Argus Tuft said:

Same thought as myself - right turns into Phuket town turn from bypass go left up Thepkassatri and do a U-turn above the tunnel

And yes, totally agree a right curved tunnel probably in the realms of fantasy!

Anyway - too late now, was just curious to how it will finish up

A right turn flyover would have been the easiest and most cost-effective solution but at the time that was out of the equation as locals didn't want their beautiful scenery spoiled with such eyesores! Well, that was the official line anyway.

On 2016-09-10 at 9:38 PM, LivinginKata said:

Wow ... a curving tunnel would be impressive ... but unrealistic.  I really don't know the plan but I suppose right turning into Phuket Town could be forced left and do a u-turn back into town and under the tunnel. But that would make too much sense ...

Yeah unfortunately the self-involved attitude of this country would not allow an extra 2min drive up to the u turn junction(that will have a flyover u turn in the future?)

just now in front of tesco, almost 90% of cars and bikes turning back to phuket town out of tesco are refusing to drive 50m left and uturn, they simply turn right(going the wrong way) until the turn area for people coming into tesco.