SURVEY: Is Philippine's President Duterte a help or a hindrance to the Philippines?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe Philippine's President, Duterte, is a help or hinderance to the development of the Philippines?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, balo said:

He sounds like a crazy man to me , I voted  NO. 

He's a vicious type of crazy.  Pol Pot would understand.

13 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I love the guy. He does what has to be done screw political correctness or diplomacy. He gets down and gets his hands dirty. He shows drug dealers there are no laws protecting them well he is around and they better learn to live (or die) with that. Drug dealers live thinking the law protects them well breaking the law. Duterte lets  them, know those days are over he has sunk to their level and will show them he can be a player

Maybe you would love it if Duterte attacked all those involved with the Fil's most dangerous drug. All manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, users of alcohol drinks would then be hunted down and killed without any due process.  Just shot dead in the street.  Would that make you feel warm and fuzzy?

And what if you had a son or daughter who thought to try a bit of banned drug one evening, just on a whim, to see what all the fuss is about.  Some man shows up, POW!, splatters their brains all over the pavement.   Duterte smiles fiendeshly.   No follow up, except to quickly wrap your daughter's head in package tape and haul the body off to a trash dump.

45 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

That video appears to be whitewashing what's really happening.  Duterte is similar to Thaksin, in that they give the green light to cops to shoot anyone they think is involved with drugs.  Granted, many of the deaths are probably by rival drug dealers/gang members.  But still, from all I've heard in the past months, the video sounds like a whitewash.  Duterte has blood on his hands.

13 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

But why stop at drug dealers and pushers? Why not kill all those scammers also? It's the scammers that give Philippines a bad name not the drug dealers. And why stop there? Just kill anyone who breaks the law. You see where I'm going with this? His shoot to kill policy only wins votes, it can never be practical.

Geez, I think you could be on to something here ! All the ATM scammers and hackers trying to get what honest people have worked for SHOULD be given the chinese treatment. Maybe there could even be a TV show based on it where the victims are allowed to garotte the perpetrators :)  In China, as soon as the courts determine that a person has nothing at all to contribute to society it,s behind the cop shop and one behind the ear, and good riddance to any habitual criminal :)

Seems to me many people  appear to not like it when the punishment suits the crime. Drugs kill people kill the drug pushers. sorts it self out huh.

If a person lives in a family where drugs are prevalent and starts going to funerals for uncles,brothers etc who got killed for dealing I think many people in that family would look elsewhere for employment and leave the drug trade.

Edited by lovelomsak
wanted to add more info

Appears to be practical to me. Bad guys dead. Hundreds of thousands of people surrender. Pretty tough stats to compete with. Where else in the world where this is not practiced can they say drug dealers are surrendering by the 100,000's .there have been over 500,000 people surrender.

How can extrajudicial killing ever be OK?

On TV it seems the a backlash against political correctness is an excuse for lawlessness an immorality.

What a dreadful world this is becoming 

I note that many Philipinos who have surrendered are then summarily executed. How can that be OK? Look, I'm an aetheist but these people are supposed to be Christians. Where's the morality.

They are executing users as well as pushers.

Appears to be practical to me. Bad guys dead. Hundreds of thousands of people surrender. Pretty tough stats to compete with. Where else in the world where this is not practiced can they say drug dealers are surrendering by the 100,000's .there have been over 500,000 people surrender.

On TV it seems the a backlash against political correctness is an excuse for lawlessness an immorality.

I note that many Philipinos who have surrendered are then summarily executed. How can that be OK? Look, I'm an aetheist but these people are supposed to be Christians. Where's the morality.

The problem with this is similar to the problem in Thailand.   Corruption is endemic in the Philippines and behind many, many of these pushers are some reasonably influential people.   Scores need to be settled and mouths need to be permanently silences.   For end users, it's the same.   Pushers don't want their name given out, so they are silenced.   

The root problem is corruption; drugs is the symptom.   In this case they cannot eliminate one without the other.   

51 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Your statement about how many surrender then are executed I think the number is zero at the moment. So why bother even mentioning it?

Usual politicial correct bullsh&t

Why not kill every one selling and using the number one deadly drug on the planet,  which collectively kills more people than every other drug combined, alcohol? More people die from doctor prescribed opioids than street drugs. Are we going to kill all doctors too? The guy is a mass murderer. How can anyone with half an education and half a brain approve of ex-judicial killings?  Evil mass murderer, just like Taksin. 

Why not kill every one selling and using the number one deadly drug on the planet,  which collectively kills more people than every other drug combined, alcohol? More people die from doctor prescribed opioids than street drugs. Are we going to kill all doctors too? The guy is a mass murderer. How can anyone with half an education and half a brain approve of ex-judicial killings?  Evil mass murderer, just like Taksin. 

Actually much worse than Thaksin. It's disgusting to hear westerners support mass murders supported by a president of users and innocent victims as well. If the west doesn't stand up for human rights who will. I have zero respect for the deplorable mass murderer Duterte and his deplorable cheerleaders as well.

14 hours ago, happy Joe said:

We can see the results of an unwavering allegiance of his predecessors to the great America:
Philippines today is one of the poorest countries in the world, plagued by an endemic mafia, corrupt officials and the same for leaders. Of course as anywhere with US military base, thousands of whores.

So the Philippines problems are caused by their recent allegiance to America? If I were the Philippines I'd be keen to keep great America on my side. Who else is going to keep China at bay in the South China Sea? Maybe Thailand can lend them HTMS Chakri Naruebet, seeing as they don't seem to be using it much at the moment.

The People knew what they were getting, and there were plenty of outside media reports. So we knew what they were getting. Refreshing to have a politician who calls a spade a spade.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Actually much worse than Thaksin. It's disgusting to hear westerners support mass murders supported by a president of users and innocent victims as well. If the west doesn't stand up for human rights who will. I have zero respect for the deplorable mass murderer Duterte and his deplorable cheerleaders as well.

Some on tv seem to support things they would rail against in their home countries, coups and the aftermath, extra judicial killings etc.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

The People knew what they were getting, and there were plenty of outside media reports. So we knew what they were getting. Refreshing to have a politician who calls a spade a spade.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Agreed the people asked for it. Thus they're culpable too.

It amuses me when I see many people praising his war on drugs. Who is he targeting? The low life bottom scum. How many of the top end of the drugs pyramid have been hit? 

To stand any chance of dragging his Country upwards he will need external help, both investment and military, especially when the South China Sea is considered. 

He is unlikely to get this without dialling back the rhetoric. It may work with the uneducated masses there but just alienates him and the Country on the world stage. 

He appears to be a tad crude on the world stage and yet beyond the glitzy Makati region, his popularity and understanding of the common way of life is reality Philippines

I for one , believe he is the right person the next 6 years to clarify and set a foundation for anti drugs in Philippines

The poverty is real, the infrastructure needs is real in many provinces and the corruption he mentions is real and the drug trade is sickening

Watch him and China partner up on this as China has their sights on a few big Chinese lords for a while and this is the perfect partnership to eradicate this social problem

For those softies who are injecting in Starbucks like clinics on Australia etc, you should pay a visit to slums and see what drug trades in Philippines look like before commenting drugs are good ....is inhumanity to see the problems drugs have brought to normal families

My first driver was piled under debts incurred by his ex Wife who had shots for nothing more than $0.30 daily ...it was cheap and poorest of quality which led to many health issues later ...I had to clear his personal debts of $120 which at that point was close to his suicidal point and while I am not sure he is happier that his Wife passed , it gave him the fresh start to do the right thing for his children

People voted him on that platform and I have not just friends but projects managers with overseas education and working for MNC in senior leadership positions understanding his honesty to the Filipino crowd has actually galvanised the nation.

Their opinions is this is the right guy....the west have been used to patronising Philippines and while some here believe Philippines need USA to stand up to any threats , the reality is they need to stand up for themselves and infuse themselves with not only the great brand of Filipino fun , but hard work and national pride to make things right

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

He only has a big mouth , he can't change a country full of poverty and corruption on every level of the society .  Most Filipinos just want to get out. 

Edited by balo

He only has a big mouth , he can't change a country full of poverty and corruption on every level of the society .  Most Filipinos just want to get out. 

If we say and believe that ? Why bother with governments ? The Filipinos don't want to get out , they want a better country they can make a decent living and homes for their next generations

Many presidents have come and go in Philippines promising change , so far he has acted on his election campaigns and the people see that as creditability ...imagine trump won ? You think the idiot will build the wall ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

....the drug trade is sickening.

It should be dealt with with by social workers, not with assassins.  Drug abuse should be a social issue. Fil jails are already filled to bursting.  I predict there will be some upcoming headlines from the Fils: riots at prisons.  Men are stacked like sardines in every sq. cm, even on stairwells and in bathrooms.  

Drug problems should be dealt with by people who know the comparative characteristics of different drugs - and then categorized accordingly.  For example, in most countries hemp is categorized with heroin or speed.  No one in the history of the world has ever got a buzz from hemp.   Pot and ecstasy are relatively harmless, but drug law makers don't have a clue.  The only rec. drug they're personally familiar with is alcohol, and they all like alcohol (and many are in cahoots with alcohol drink corporations), so for them, alcohol is ok.   In contrast, the only info they have on illegal drugs are absolute worst-case reports from alarmists.   It's been shown, in clinical tests, that cigs are more addictive than heroin.