Thinking hard about moving back to the US

Strange

31 minutes ago, JAFO said:

. The list of things to do here is really no different then where one likely came from just depends on if one wants to complain about it or go out and change their personal disposition.

Sorry JAFO, I don't mean to be picking on you ....but really, you come from SF Bay Area, and live outside Lampang now?  Okay, I come from LA and live in CM.  No difference ?

You posted a Lewis Black show you said you went to ...nice!  Have you found a replacement for that in Lampang? Or anywhere in Thailand? Been to any NBA games lately?  Snow skiing for the weekend?  Any world class museums?  Concerts? Plays? Lectures?  Professional Sports of any kind?  I used to water ski ...can't find that here.

Just open a newspaper with 20 pages of entertainment options for things going on this weekend! 

So many possible things to do where we came from in a weekend , I would be here all day listing them.

I almost never complain about that fact and try to have fun with what I have,  but to deny it would be delusional.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, amykat said:

Sorry JAFO, I don't mean to be picking on you ....but really, you come from SF Bay Area, and live outside Lampang now?  Okay, I come from LA and live in CM.  No difference ?

You posted a Lewis Black show you said you went to ...nice!  Have you found a replacement for that in Lampang? Or anywhere in Thailand? Been to any NBA games lately?  Snow skiing for the weekend?  Any world class museums?  Concerts? Plays? Lectures?  Professional Sports of any kind?  I used to water ski ...can't find that here.

Just open a newspaper with 20 pages of entertainment options for things going on this weekend! 

So many possible things to do where we came from in a weekend , I would be here all day listing them.

I almost never complain about that fact and try to have fun with what I have,  but to deny it would be delusional.

Amykat, I do not see you picking on me.  to your response, you know the one thing in life is that we all change. I did all of those things living in the SF Bay area. I was born and raised Californian. Grew up surfing, skateboarding, BMX stunt biking, Beach parties. Later on moved to LA, then OC (Costs Mesa). Did my college there. Saw hundreds of Giants and A's baseball games. 49er games at Candlestick, NASCAR and NHRA at Sears Point (in fact drag raced there myself for years). Snow ski'd in the Sierra's at all the resorts. Had a wakeboard boat and did my runs around with family to Shasta.  California is an AWESOME place to make big $$ and experience all of those things. Only downside to all of that, its costs a ton of money to do and being most work long hours they cram everything into weekends which makes all of those events a pain because of traffic etc. 

On a side note to your comment on waterskiing, You are not looking to hard. You can waterski in CM, numerous islands and Pathum Thani. I went down to Pathum Thani and did the wakeboard park. Was a blast. I found 2 drag race tracks in Thailand, one just outside of BKK and one in  Buriram. Fun to see what these guys build and run.  I have been fishing at many places along the Mekong. I have been to a few concerts at the Impact center in BKK. Recently did some white water rafting in Khao Yai with some friends from work. I entered the annual Snakehead fishing contest a few years back on lake Kaeng Krachan. My wife and I have gone on numerous cave hikes. I have some motorcycle friends and we go on rides around the mountains when we can connect.  My point is as I said, there are just as many things to do here you just have to search them out. 

Well I can understand that you have set yourself up with a nice life here JAFO. And that you have a set of hobbies that you can do here. Also, luckily, you have enjoyable work that keeps you engaged and busy.  That childhood that you described is something more that I would like for my daughter.  It is very disappointing what I see her doing year after year here.  She has play dates, field trips with her international school, 15 or so birthday parties a year, and they are mostly all to the same handful of places, over and over again!  And this holds true, year after year.  When she was 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 now she will be 11 in a few weeks ...I want to stab my eyes out with a fork!!

And many of the "better" things to do, have just come about in the last few years, like ice skating!  I bought us a yearly pass and we went several times per week ...until the crowds got  too overwhelming, with 98% novice skaters, nobody enforcing any rules, people skating the wrong way just like on the roads, deciding to stop hugging the wall and jump in front of you w/o looking, kids chipping holes in the ice trying to make snow , ice hockey lessons taking half the rink, other lessons in the middle, etc.  I was really glad I spent a few thousand $ for that circus/nightmare and then had to just quit in disgust!!  Now the popularity has worn off and we can go again but our pass has long expired.

When we visit the US, she does more things and has more varied experiences than she would have here in 20 years!  She goes to live theater, she sees musicals, she goes to museums, she goes to Disneyland and world class aquariums/zoos, she goes whale watching, etc.  My father has a "weekend" home on the sand in Huntington Beach so there is a lot for her to do there, and he has another nice house in Mammoth, at the ski resort, but he does a lot of fishing, biking, hiking and we horse back ride in the summer.  Water skiing, I am taking about the Colorado river, having our own boat,  going to Lake Powell ...I don't think you can compare that to here. 

My Mother also has two homes in different parts of the country where she divides her time, summer and winter, one nearly at the border of Canada and the other at the Gulf of Mexico, so we can enjoy several different types of nature and smaller, resort towns that are famous for different things. 

I don't hate Thailand at all. I wasn't one of these people who moved here because I disliked the US and I am surprised many people do claim they move here for that reason.  I always secretly think they are lying!  I don't dislike anything about the US except our medical/insurance system.  I do like to compare and contrast things and I think we should be able to do this without feeling personally slighted.  I think I will appreciate many small things in life that I took for granted, once I move back to the US, whenever that is.  And I will miss some things about Thailand.  But I don't have what most of you have here that makes you happ(ier)?  ...I don't have any relationship ...or any support system/family ... I don't have any job, nor do I want any job that could be had here ...I would certainly be happier if I was less bored.  I have been living below my means all of these years here, saving for the future so that I could return one day.  So I think I have met my goals and can probably return soon.   I haven't totally decided yet ....it is a hell of a lot of work to return for one thing!  But just reading the happy reports above from Clutch Clark for example, are very motivating! 

@ amykat. 

You know, I respect your position and your commitment to your child. I could not personally imagine starting a family here. Probably because I couldn't imagine starting a family anywhere at this juncture in my life. I clearly see good and bad in both places. Look where you are now. If back in SF Bay area as a single parent most would struggle terribly as a single income parent. They live way below the poverty line. The child would likely end up as a "latch key" kid as the parent has to work to make ends meet. I saw that regularly. While I do not know your personal situation (and I wouldn't post it on TVF) family support is huge and in Thailand that exists where sadly in the west that is not such an easy proposition. Hats off to you making it work here in Thailand. On the flipside like you have a good family back in the states so it might work. However lots of travel time to see both parents and as you know travel is an expensive proposition in the states especially when you have to work M- F.  Always sounds easy. My parents lived only a few hours from us in the wine country and I seldom could go see them. No time. Work and then weekends catching up on things we have to do. Sad really.

As for me, yes I have have set myself up here in Thailand. But you know I went out and made that happen. I didn't sit around and fixate on all the crap people complain about in Thailand. Same stuff happens in the US, there is a ton of BS there as well. As I have said before (as you have read), I do not hate the states. I made a cognizant decision to move as I grew sick of the COL, entitled people, people with personal agendas, living my life in weekends, over government(I do not need to be managed). I got tired of watching my check disappear to a mortgage, property taxes, homeowners insurance, car insurance, car registration, 2 year phone contracts, 1 year cable contracts,  medical coverage. etc. Additionally I have a fantastic wife who gets it. We sat one afternoon out anchored near  Treasure Island in a friends sailboat and talked about staying. She looked at me and said "We can if you want too but keep in mind we can move to Thailand and live with virtually no bills compared to here". Decision was easy because I knew I could find things to keep me busy here.

I do not listen to all the complainers here or on this site but because I know better. I have done some incredible things here and in the US. Its all about ones make up that can spin it positive or negative. 

Back to water skiing, if interested there is a business on the big lake CM. Have Mastercraft boats. I was going to check it. I took my Integrity wakeskate to the wakeboard park in Pathum Thani. I had never tried the skate at a cable park. Was hard. Let a bunch of a thai kids try it. Sadly we broke the board. Launched it off a ramp and it cracked. Integrity is out of business. My wife says I am getting to old to do this stuff. At 50 maybe she is right but I grew up doing it, hard to quit

Here are a few others I will look into. I won't board anymore. Its skate or nothing. Boarding is to brutal on the landings. At least with a skate you can free yourself of the board. Its like skateboarding on the water. 

http://www.lotaswakeboardschool.com/

http://www.totalentertainment.co.th/waterski/index.html

Also, we went and looked at this dam. A REAL house boat. I have done a few Shasta deals. We will do this next year when friends come over. You can rent a private one. It will make you laugh. In the US to rent a houseboat for a week is $5500 + gas. Here in Thailand $ 100  a day ($500 a week) LOL. 

http://thetradingtravelers.com/relaxing-in-lampang/

To my point, you make it what it is here or anywhere. 

I've lived in Florida and Colorado.  No mass transit.  Thailand I can take a good bus Nakhon Chai Air - cheap almost anywhere in Thailand.  I can live here and date and travel and dine out and go to the doctor or hospital without a car.  Try getting a date in Florida or Colorado without a car.  

I agree about the general status of transit here, at least in BKK, relative to a lot of U.S. cities.

And NCA is the best of the Thai bus companies (and probably the only one I'd be willing to use). But last time I checked, NCA had a fairly limited range of city destinations they serve. Hardly "almost anywhere in Thailand."

Well lets all look at some of the more well known expats who have left Thailand recently.

Howard, the Top Tourist Police officer and journalist , TV presenter.

The Blues Factory owner, remember the Blues Factory in Walking Street? 

Andrew Drummond, infamour journalist 

and probaly many more "famous" and well known that we dont know of.

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well lets all look at some of the more well known expats who have left Thailand recently.

Howard, the Top Tourist Police officer and journalist , TV presenter.

The Blues Factory owner, remember the Blues Factory in Walking Street? 

Andrew Drummond, infamour journalist 

and probaly many more "famous" and well known that we dont know of.

I know a couple of hundred Americans who live here happily (Veterans) and probably a lot more that we don't know of.  But you missed Stickman on your list of guys who left.  I think his girl dumped him.  Most of the guys I know who have left have had mental problems from a girl or health or drugs or the law (but that's just me because I read Thai Visa).   You have to watch out for the nuts out there.  Don't let them anywhere your family.  No telling what they may tell them.  One guy even tried to talk some blokes mom into leaving Thailand.  They have some problems and then apply their discontent to everything and everyone Thai.

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I agree about the general status of transit here, at least in BKK, relative to a lot of U.S. cities.

And NCA is the best of the Thai bus companies (and probably the only one I'd be willing to use). But last time I checked, NCA had a fairly limited range of city destinations they serve. Hardly "almost anywhere in Thailand."

Absolutely. Getting around Thailand is easy.  My wife and I have taken nice bus's to numerous locations. Then hop a cab or van.  Cheap and honestly quite fun.  NCA is the best for long runs. We have also done the train.  Not to bad. Did a sleeper car. A whopping $31 each included food. Nice going through the country north to south.

On 9/29/2016 at 7:56 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

The almost total lack of any significant wildlife in Thailand, except packs of feral dogs and cats, is quite depressing. As for the birds and fish, the locals consumed or sold most of them for pets long ago. Even in urban areas of the United States, there are significant wildlife populations.

I was going to add another two cents onto this thread, until I ran into the above comment and found myself slack-jawed.

In the midst of steamy and congested Bangkok, every morning I wake up to the sounds of birds and roosters, walk out to my balcony and watch the white-striped squirrels chasing each other all the while shrieking and flying among the branches. The "feral" soi cats also get up there on the opposite shophouse rooftops  watching them squirrels too. In the empty "jungle" lot behind my building I can occasionally spot a giant lizard or two slithering under the bushes. Around the building I often find small lizards sometime blue some green clambering up and down the stairs. When the cleaning staff saw me staring at those in wonder they mentioned that once in a blue moon they would have to roost out a snake from the basement parking lot and we all know where that comes from.

If I want to see more wild or not so wild life I would cross the street and enter the Ram U campus, there I find ponds full of fish and turtles coming up to me bubbling their mouths asking for food. Little birds fly straight into the canteen perching on top of the wall mounted antiquated TV sets  eyeing for crumbs. In the evening around the tracks of the National Sports complex  half mile down the block, the big crows mobilise themselves deep among the eucalyptus groove bordering the boulevard and work up a deafening racket to compete with rush hour traffic noise . Across the tracks is a vast open grassy space that turns into a happy - petting - hour gathering for local folks who at the end of their work day would bring out their pets: dogs, rabbits, hamsters and quite a few turtles to get socialized among themselves both pets and owners. On and on. This is their everyday life, and now mine too.

The  comment quoted above makes me realize that even in a small social space such as thaivisa forum, folks do live in parallel univers. If I try to tie them all into a big knot, I would  say that If you haven't found what you came here looking for, blame it on your point of departure, not your destination.

On 10/1/2016 at 0:12 PM, JAFO said:

Absolutely. Getting around Thailand is easy.  My wife and I have taken nice bus's to numerous locations. Then hop a cab or van.  Cheap and honestly quite fun.  NCA is the best for long runs. We have also done the train.  Not to bad. Did a sleeper car. A whopping $31 each included food. Nice going through the country north to south.

Please watch out for elephants out your way!  (That was a horrific video in the other thread.) 

On 1 October 2016 at 1:51 PM, Scotwight said:

I know a couple of hundred Americans who live here happily (Veterans) and probably a lot more that we don't know of.  But you missed Stickman on your list of guys who left.  I think his girl dumped him.  Most of the guys I know who have left have had mental problems from a girl or health or drugs or the law (but that's just me because I read Thai Visa).   You have to watch out for the nuts out there.  Don't let them anywhere your family.  No telling what they may tell them.  One guy even tried to talk some blokes mom into leaving Thailand.  They have some problems and then apply their discontent to everything and everyone Thai.

Yes Lol I missed Stickman.

It seems he sold up his internet business and moved back to New  Zealand which is strange but like he writes he got sick of Thailand .

As for the Tourist Head Policemen Howard, seems he sold up everything and left too for the UK, strange too I guess.

But they all had their reasons.

.I wonder if everyone gets that way of homesickness after a while, it could take 10 years or 20 years but I guess it eventually comes back and hits you .

Edited by georgegeorgia

I know that somebody will come along and accuse me of being a Thai Apologist for saying this but to be absolutely honest, nothing much in Thailand has changed for me (for the worse) in the past five years or so. Sure the cost of living has increased in some areas of the economy but since I don't have to rely on foreign currency exchange rates (I bought about ten years living expenses into the country a long time ago) I can dodge most of the price increases if I need to.

As for government interference/BiB hassles/Immigration related issues: none of those problems cross my path ever, in fact if anything my experiences with Immigration have become easier since I started using a visa agent - I don't feel pressured, intimidated, scrutinized or anything similar and I never get asked for tea money etc.

So I don't understand when people tell me that Thailand is changing for the worse and how badly they are being affected or why, sorry, I just don't. I mean I like everyone else has a Plan B which I review from time to time, it's there if I need it and it's viable but I can't see me ever needing to use it. I wonder if sometimes, some of those people with such complaints actually over emphasise the things they see as negative and accordingly, over imagine the impact of them on their life here in Thailand.  I do know from reading lots of posts on this and related subjects that some of the negative comments are coming from people who don't live here and probably never did, why that is escapes me.

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

As for government interference/BiB hassles/Immigration related issues: none of those problems cross my path ever, in fact if anything my experiences with Immigration have become easier since I started using a visa agent - I don't feel pressured, intimidated, scrutinized or anything similar and I never get asked for tea money etc.

So I don't understand when people tell me that Thailand is changing for the worse and how badly they are being affected or why, sorry, I just don't.

I'm not going to weigh in on the broader question here in the thread, and I'm not someone who would be considered a Thailand basher or sky's falling type.

But I found your comment above pretty funny coming from someone who presumably lives in the jurisdiction of one of the worst Immigration districts in Thailand, that being CM, in terms of how it deals with the expat population it supposedly serves.

Of course you never get asked for tea money, because your annual tea money contribution to Thai Immigration is already baked into the fee you're paying your visa agent to avoid having to camp out and queue up at CM Immigration starting at 3 am or so in order to get seen going through the normal means.

On 10/1/2016 at 1:31 PM, smo said:

I was going to add another two cents onto this thread, until I ran into the above comment and found myself slack-jawed.

In the midst of steamy and congested Bangkok, every morning I wake up to the sounds of birds and roosters, walk out to my balcony and watch the white-striped squirrels chasing each other all the while shrieking and flying among the branches. The "feral" soi cats also get up there on the opposite shophouse rooftops  watching them squirrels too. In the empty "jungle" lot behind my building I can occasionally spot a giant lizard or two slithering under the bushes. Around the building I often find small lizards sometime blue some green clambering up and down the stairs. When the cleaning staff saw me staring at those in wonder they mentioned that once in a blue moon they would have to roost out a snake from the basement parking lot and we all know where that comes from.

If I want to see more wild or not so wild life I would cross the street and enter the Ram U campus, there I find ponds full of fish and turtles coming up to me bubbling their mouths asking for food. Little birds fly straight into the canteen perching on top of the wall mounted antiquated TV sets  eyeing for crumbs. In the evening around the tracks of the National Sports complex  half mile down the block, the big crows mobilise themselves deep among the eucalyptus groove bordering the boulevard and work up a deafening racket to compete with rush hour traffic noise . Across the tracks is a vast open grassy space that turns into a happy - petting - hour gathering for local folks who at the end of their work day would bring out their pets: dogs, rabbits, hamsters and quite a few turtles to get socialized among themselves both pets and owners. On and on. This is their everyday life, and now mine too.

The  comment quoted above makes me realize that even in a small social space such as thaivisa forum, folks do live in parallel univers. If I try to tie them all into a big knot, I would  say that If you haven't found what you came here looking for, blame it on your point of departure, not your destination.

Fish ponds, zoos, birds, and a few reptiles in bangkok isn't much to talk about man. 

My spot in FL, in autumn/winter, wake up to see 8-10 wild deer, raccoons, gopher turtles (witch are endangered) squirrels, birds, owls, hawks, wild pigs... Feeding and living in the wild unassisted by human intervention other than studying them and allowing a certain amount hunting tags. Alligators, manatees, snakes, thousands of fish species in fresh, brackish, and salt water environments that can be fished and eaten, or simply swim with and watch. These are real life wild habitats man. 

Thailand is incomparable the US in availability of wildlife, and you can change states and find completely different wildlife. Real wildlife. 

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I know that somebody will come along and accuse me of being a Thai Apologist for saying this but to be absolutely honest, nothing much in Thailand has changed for me (for the worse) in the past five years or so. Sure the cost of living has increased in some areas of the economy but since I don't have to rely on foreign currency exchange rates (I bought about ten years living expenses into the country a long time ago) I can dodge most of the price increases if I need to.

So I don't understand when people tell me that Thailand is changing for the worse and how badly they are being affected or why, sorry, I just don't. I mean I like everyone else has a Plan B which I review from time to time, it's there if I need it and it's viable but I can't see me ever needing to use it. I wonder if sometimes, some of those people with such complaints actually over emphasise the things they see as negative and accordingly, over imagine the impact of them on their life here in Thailand.  I do know from reading lots of posts on this and related subjects that some of the negative comments are coming from people who don't live here and probably never did, why that is escapes me.

You have to REALLY want to live in thailand to be able to overlook the xenophobia, racism, corruption etc, and act like it does not exist. 

Ive made the decision to move back at the end of the year. My property in FL is up for sale and I'm going minimalist for a while.

Thailand has good and bad, but for me the bad outweigh the good. There are 16 pages of debate and I think it comes down to what you are willing to live with and accept - for what you pay.

I will be splitting my time between the US and Thailand but Im not going to live here anymore. Im over it. 

Yeah sure you can take a bus anywhere... But its a damn bus. I want and can afford a nice car, good roads, knowledgable mechanics, dealerships that have parts ON THE SHELF for your brand new car OR can order them in 24 hours (Don't BS me by saying its the same in Thailand, its not) 

Only thing thailand has going for it is the ability to survive for very cheap. Im not going native and never planned to and I'm at the point where its pointless to try and make thailand work for me when I have a perfectly free country to live in without BS visa/immigration issues. I have the right to property and the defense of that property and myself AND my family. 

Im not a rich man, but if you can afford it, there are so many better options to live than Thailand. Im not looking to retire, not looking to slow down, and require more than this place has to offer. Sure its great for a vacation, but IMHO thats where it should stay because its obvious thats what the majority of Thais believe. 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not going to weigh in on the broader question here in the thread, and I'm not someone who would be considered a Thailand basher or sky's falling type.

But I found your comment above pretty funny coming from someone who presumably lives in the jurisdiction of one of the worst Immigration districts in Thailand, that being CM, in terms of how it deals with the expat population it supposedly serves.

Of course you never get asked for tea money, because your annual tea money contribution to Thai Immigration is already baked into the fee you're paying your visa agent to avoid having to camp out and queue up at CM Immigration starting at 3 am or so in order to get seen going through the normal means.

Immigration here doesn't solicit tea money for visa renewals and they never have hence your comment about tea money being baked in is nonsense. My visa needs to be extended each year in April/May, peak low season up here - if you would read the recent threads on this subject you'd see that renewing or extending a visa at that time of year doesn't involve getting out of bed early or even queueing, it's easily done during normal business hours. I chose to use a visa agent because it makes my life easier plus I now live some way out of Chiang Mai and for the sake of a couple of thousand Baht it's a no brainer, it would be the same even if Immigration were located next door to me.

27 minutes ago, Strange said:

Ive made the decision to move back at the end of the year. My property in FL is up for sale and I'm going minimalist for a while.

Thailand has good and bad, but for me the bad outweigh the good. There are 16 pages of debate and I think it comes down to what you are willing to live with and accept - for what you pay.

I will be splitting my time between the US and Thailand but Im not going to live here anymore. Im over it. 

Yeah sure you can take a bus anywhere... But its a damn bus. I want and can afford a nice car, good roads, knowledgable mechanics, dealerships that have parts ON THE SHELF for your brand new car OR can order them in 24 hours (Don't BS me by saying its the same in Thailand, its not) 

Only thing thailand has going for it is the ability to survive for very cheap. Im not going native and never planned to and I'm at the point where its pointless to try and make thailand work for me when I have a perfectly free country to live in without BS visa/immigration issues. I have the right to property and the defense of that property and myself AND my family. 

Im not a rich man, but if you can afford it, there are so many better options to live than Thailand. Im not looking to retire, not looking to slow down, and require more than this place has to offer. Sure its great for a vacation, but IMHO thats where it should stay because its obvious thats what the majority of Thais believe. 

Good that you've made a decision that's best for you. By the way, except for owning property, all that you state can be done in Thailand as well. And it was your choice to go everywhere by bus...anyone can buy a car in their own name. I'm not sure where your car parts fetish comes from but I've rarely had to get anything than normal replacement stuff (tires, wiper blades, radiator once) and they were all either in stock at my regular garage or ordered from the local parts supplier and delivered to the garage in 30 minutes. Modern cars are not like your grandfather's car are are pretty much worry-free and rarely require more than regularly scheduled maintence.

As you mention costs allot, it sounds like your finances are a bit strained and that has affected your lifestyle and colored your views of living in Thailand. If money is a concern, you are probably better off in the US, where you could find work easily and there is a social safety net if you can't. 

As for general freedom, social and political, I agree many places are better than Thailand. General easy living is great in the US as long as you're middle-class or higher. You can also live a very comfortable life in Thailand if you're working at a good job or have sufficient funds to not work. I think you said you were up in the sticks of Issan and that's enough to drive anyone batty.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

54 minutes ago, Strange said:

You have to REALLY want to live in thailand to be able to overlook the xenophobia, racism, corruption etc, and act like it does not exist. 

I don't agree. As CM said, I too don't experience any of these things either...maybe it's my middle-aged Asian-white priviledge but the Thais almost always treat me with courtesy and respect. It may have something to do with the establishments I frequent as well as well as my generally jovial manner.

As for the "corruption," being able to pay a 500 baht on the spot fine for driving a car with an expired license and registration is corruption I'm down with. As for other types, I've never run into any.

19 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Good that you've made a decision that's best for you. By the way, except for owning property, all that you state can be done in Thailand as well. And it was your choice to go everywhere by bus...anyone can buy a car in their own name. I'm not sure where your car parts fetish comes from but I've rarely had to get anything than normal replacement stuff (tires, wiper blades, radiator once) and they were all either in stock at my regular garage or ordered from the local parts supplier and delivered to the garage in 30 minutes. Modern cars are not like your grandfather's car are are pretty much worry-free and rarely require more than regularly scheduled maintence.

As you mention costs allot, it sounds like your finances are a bit strained and that has affected your lifestyle and colored your views of living in Thailand. If money is a concern, you are probably better off in the US, where you could find work easily and there is a social safety net if you can't. 

As for general freedom, social and political, I agree many places are better than Thailand. General easy living is great in the US as long as you're middle-class or higher. You can also live a very comfortable life in Thailand if you're working at a good job or have sufficient funds to not work. I think you said you were up in the sticks of Issan and that's enough to drive anyone batty.

You realize I'm the OP, and you have read all my other posts right? 

Because I really don't feel like dissecting this unless you have read all my other posts and realize I'm not a Thailand rookie nor broke nor a mechanical idiot, nor have a solid plan b. 

Edited by Strange

28 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I don't agree. As CM said, I too don't experience any of these things either...maybe it's my middle-aged Asian-white priviledge but the Thais almost always treat me with courtesy and respect. It may have something to do with the establishments I frequent as well as well as my generally jovial manner.

As for the "corruption," being able to pay a 500 baht on the spot fine for driving a car with an expired license and registration is corruption I'm down with. As for other types, I've never run into any.

Just because you do not experience them, does not in any way shape or form mean they do not exist. 

Just because people are jovial and nice to you does not mean that they like and respect you as a person. 

This 500 baht corruption charge for driving your car illegally may seem great to you at the time, but it allows every other person on the road to blatantly ignore laws and creates huge unnecessary problems in the event of an accident and contributes to countless road deaths that far and away don't need to happen. Somchai that should never be behind the wheel and has no license, but drives anyway because its only 500b if caught, then crashes into someone and kills them. On and on and on. 

50 minutes ago, Strange said:

Because I really don't feel like dissecting this unless you have read all my other posts and realize I'm not a Thailand rookie nor broke nor a mechanical idiot, nor have a solid plan b. 

Yes I was aware of that and have read many of your posts, including the OP,  and therefore what you wrote in the post I quoted sounded quite strange to me. I have posted many replies to people in this thread, agreeing that Thailand certainly isn't perfect and that at some point, I too may return Stateside after over 15 years in Thailand. However, saying you're returning Stateside because you can't get auto parts quickly enough and you don't like taking busses is just whack. I mean, who says you have to take a bus...there are taxis in Thailand and of course, like I said, you could buy a car.

In any case, I certainly understand there are many reasons that might pull someone "back home" and I hope the decision works out for you and you're happy in Florida (and that the Pep Boys and Auto Zone stores are fully stocked to your satisfaction...just joking). 

41 minutes ago, Strange said:

Just because you do not experience them, does not in any way shape or form mean they do not exist. 

Just because people are jovial and nice to you does not mean that they like and respect you as a person. 

This 500 baht corruption charge for driving your car illegally may seem great to you at the time, but it allows every other person on the road to blatantly ignore laws and creates huge unnecessary problems in the event of an accident and contributes to countless road deaths that far and away don't need to happen. Somchai that should never be behind the wheel and has no license, but drives anyway because its only 500b if caught, then crashes into someone and kills them. On and on and on. 

I didn't say it didn't exist...just that I'm not affected so wouldn't cause me to consider leaving Thailand. Being retired, my interaction with Thai officialdom is minimal so again not a problem. If I was starting or running a business, I might feel diferently. Everybody's situation is unique. 

I also wish people would post SPECIFIC examples of this rampent racism/xenophobia, I imagine it's mostly drunks prancing around town in flip-flops and a singlet with a girl who could be his great-grandaughter on their arm and a goofy grin on his face. Yes, I could imaging these types getting a few nasty looks from the locals (and me as well) which they might interpret as racism/xenophobia.

Just stay in Florida and don't move to California...millions of unlicensed and uninsured drivers there too (courtesey of the Democratic Party). I should know, I was rear-ended and nearly killed by one...and I can tell you, I much prefer being rear-ended in Thailand. 

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

On 9/30/2016 at 9:29 PM, Scotwight said:

I've lived in Florida and Colorado.  No mass transit.  Thailand I can take a good bus Nakhon Chai Air - cheap almost anywhere in Thailand.  I can live here and date and travel and dine out and go to the doctor or hospital without a car.  Try getting a date in Florida or Colorado without a car.  

On 10/1/2016 at 0:12 PM, JAFO said:

1 hour ago, Strange said:

My posts about the busses are directed at these 2 ^^ and clearly I should have explicitly stated such. 

8 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:
1 hour ago, Strange said:

Yes I was aware of that and have read many of your posts, including the OP,  and therefore what you wrote in the post I quoted sounded quite strange to me. I have posted many replies to people in this thread, agreeing that Thailand certainly isn't perfect and that at some point, I too may return Stateside after over 15 years in Thailand. However, saying you're returning Stateside because you can't get auto parts quickly enough and you don't like taking busses is just whack. I mean, who says you have to take a bus...there are taxis in Thailand and of course, like I said, you could buy a car.

In any case, I certainly understand there are many reasons that might pull someone "back home" and I hope the decision works out for you and you're happy in Florida (and that the Pep Boys and Auto Zone stores are fully stocked to your satisfaction...just joking). 

And to say that Im moving back to the states because of car parts is just retarded and you are nit picking what I said so just quit that patronizing sh*t and try it on some other sucker. 

On 30/9/2559 at 1:44 PM, JAFO said:

Amykat, I do not see you picking on me.  to your response, you know the one thing in life is that we all change. I did all of those things living in the SF Bay area. I was born and raised Californian. Grew up surfing, skateboarding, BMX stunt biking, Beach parties. Later on moved to LA, then OC (Costs Mesa). Did my college there. Saw hundreds of Giants and A's baseball games. 49er games at Candlestick, NASCAR and NHRA at Sears Point (in fact drag raced there myself for years). Snow ski'd in the Sierra's at all the resorts. Had a wakeboard boat and did my runs around with family to Shasta.  California is an AWESOME place to make big $$ and experience all of those things. Only downside to all of that, its costs a ton of money to do and being most work long hours they cram everything into weekends which makes all of those events a pain because of traffic etc. 

On a side note to your comment on waterskiing, You are not looking to hard. You can waterski in CM, numerous islands and Pathum Thani. I went down to Pathum Thani and did the wakeboard park. Was a blast. I found 2 drag race tracks in Thailand, one just outside of BKK and one in  Buriram. Fun to see what these guys build and run.  I have been fishing at many places along the Mekong. I have been to a few concerts at the Impact center in BKK. Recently did some white water rafting in Khao Yai with some friends from work. I entered the annual Snakehead fishing contest a few years back on lake Kaeng Krachan. My wife and I have gone on numerous cave hikes. I have some motorcycle friends and we go on rides around the mountains when we can connect.  My point is as I said, there are just as many things to do here you just have to search them out. 

There are things to do yes..."just as many" not so much. In addion, they're all going to take place in the Thai cultural millue (which is to be expected) but isn't the same as being with a crowd of "your own people" at a Giant's game, music festival, or other event Stateside. The thing that may eventually pull me back Stateside is the relative lack of any life of the mind here in Thailand...films, lectures, museums, music, educational travel, etc.

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

So the stuff you benefit from you have heard of ...that you like ...

In case you want to "run in to any other types" you might try reading something like ...hmmm ...maybe this website???

50 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Just stay in Florida and don't move to California...millions of unlicensed and uninsured drivers there too (courtesey of the Democratic Party). I should know, I was rear-ended and nearly killed by one...and I can tell you, I much prefer being rear-ended in Thailand. 

Can you explain this?  Would this be because the emergency road/ambulance services are so excellent here in Thailand as compared to the US?

55 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I didn't say it didn't exist...just that I'm not affected so wouldn't cause me to consider leaving Thailand. Being retired, my interaction with Thai officialdom is minimal so again not a problem. If I was starting or running a business, I might feel diferently. Everybody's situation is unique. 

I also wish people would post SPECIFIC examples of this rampent racism/xenophobia, I imagine it's mostly drunks prancing around town in flip-flops and a singlet with a girl who could be his great-grandaughter on their arm and a goofy grin on his face. Yes, I could imaging these types getting a few nasty looks from the locals (and me as well) which they might interpret as racism/xenophobia.

Hey, if you are good with the status quo then good on ya, but in my opinion it would be a real mistake to deny/downplay whats going on. As with everything in this thread its usually never 1 thing that makes people want to leave, its usually several factors that stack up over time. 1 person says something negative, and you are on it to say "Thats no reason to leave blah blah" or my personal favorite "I don't know what you are doing but don't have that problem"

Im not going to post specific anything for your approval. 

And your last paragraph, dude, really? 

Driving ANYWHERE in the USA > Driving in Thailand

28 minutes ago, Strange said:

Hey, if you are good with the status quo then good on ya, but in my opinion it would be a real mistake to deny/downplay whats going on. As with everything in this thread its usually never 1 thing that makes people want to leave, its usually several factors that stack up over time. 1 person says something negative, and you are on it to say "Thats no reason to leave blah blah" or my personal favorite "I don't know what you are doing but don't have that problem"

Im not going to post specific anything for your approval. 

And your last paragraph, dude, really? 

Driving ANYWHERE in the USA > Driving in Thailand

Well I have posted many times that there are reasons to leave and reasons to stay and it really needs to be decided on a case by case basis. I'm the last person to say everything is perfect in Thailand...or the States. Right now, all things considered, I'm still in but that doesn't mean in a few years I may be out.

As for driving, maybe you've never driven in California, where there have been issues for years with "new" arrivals clogging the roads and being unlicensed and uninsured. In addition, Southern Califonia is the hit and run capitol of the country and Nor. Cal, where i'm from isn't far behind. Let me just put it this way: I saw many more accidents driving around the Bay Area on a weekend than I see in a month of driving around Pattaya...negotiating I-80, 880, and 580 freeways on a weekend is like driving in a destruction derby.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya