"Free Tour" foreign businessmen a national security issue for Thailand, says immigration chief

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Sharp said:

No different from other countries with regard to this subject! 

Ha, finally one who must have worked worldwide like my self.

There is nothing wrong with this system for people who live in border areas. Many of these people through marriage have family living on either side of the border.

In my years of working worldwide I have come across farmers in border areas whose farmland crossed the border. What do you people writing in this TVF want? Every time the farmer when ploughing his farmland crosses the border he has to have his passport stamped???

Reason immigration does not want to talk about it because they do not ant it plastered all over the news medias to give irruptable  people ideas how to use these border crossings.

5 hours ago, Sharp said:

Well......maybe no so different from other countries.....but we're talking about Thailand...where Immigration is wildly corrupt...for a price of course!

17 minutes ago, kannot said:

Thais are so crap at running businesses  Johnny foreigner can do it way much better..............but that doesnt go down well!!

I disagree. They are great business minds! 

In our street we have five shops all selling the same Chicken and Noodles dishes. We also have 3 massage shops and two 7-elevens right next to each other. We also have 2 coffee shops with a few meters apart. All shops basically have no business, since the our out-competing each other, due to the lack of any different or original ideas. 

Yes, the creative and innovative business ideas are really mind-blowing in our street! No need for outside ideas or anything like that.

Edited by khunpa

34 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Immigration

Who thinks up all this shit to bash Farangs every other week. We're their cash cows they milk to death then insult us for not enjoying this privilege.

Especially, when we're out of favour, to make us shoulder the blame for everybody else's mistakes

:coffee1:

Not only that. When these companies are small, nobody gives a rat arse. It seems like they wait for the company to get huge profits, then pounce. Like the Australian gold mine, that invested billions only to be shut down with a moments notice. This tour company assets were sold off to the opposition tour companies  before the case even hit the courts. Billions of dollars gained by quite a few in the know about the speedy auction. It might have an effect. I imagine many companies will be packing and getting out while they can.

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:

Illegal business should be shut down but I notice they are only considering the foreigners in, what about the Thai's who are acting as as front?

If you read the article so will you find the following about Thais 
"He also promised action against Thais acting as nominees in facilitating the breaking of the law."

A problem, yes, surely, in some cases, but one of 'national importance' and a threat to 'national security' ? Wow ... talk about hyperbole ... Looks more like the opening of a witch hunt to me ... and yet another sign of rampant, growing xenophobia trying to justify itself ... Where are you Land of Smiles ? :(

7 minutes ago, Missing Troll said:
"He also promised action against Thais acting as nominees in facilitating the breaking of the law."

Well they better raid half the law offices in Bangkok then. They have all been setting these companies up for a fee for years and years. 

That is the true crime. They should never have been set up by the lawyers and the of office of business. They both knew damn well what the truth of these companies are. 

6 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

And stomachs too.

Do the uniform outfitters deliberately make police uniforms ill fitting ?

I don't mind seeing uni girls with blouses a size or two small but not the BIB

they do not get fat until they have been in the uniform for a while.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

If legally married you are allowed to help your wife

Really ? Someone I know told me he works as part of the family business (helping them) and I've never been fully convinced but he said he's had numerous encounters with immigration over the years and he's never had any problems.

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

I disagree. They are great business minds! 

In our street we have five shops all selling the same Chicken and Noodles dishes. We also have 3 massage shops and two 7-elevens right next to each other. We also have 2 coffee shops with a few meters apart. All shops basically have no business, since the our out-competing each other, due to the lack of any different or original ideas. 

Yes, the creative and innovative business ideas are really mind-blowing in our street! No need for outside ideas or anything like that.

its not only thais though. think of all the foreigners who come to open up a bar in an area where there are already to many bars. then to attract customers they lower the price of their drinks to the point where there is no profit. keeps places like pattaya great value.

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Much of what is now classed as tradition in Thailand can be traced to the United States in the decade after the Second World War. Thailand went through a sea change as the power of the central government spread to every corner of the kingdom through one-nation policies. Many of these policies were heavily influenced either by Thais copying America or through American advisors. America has moved on but Thailand remains more resistent to change.

Eh Briggsy? You saying the Thai police copies the idea of tight stretch material uniforms from the American police of the late 40's and 50's?

Well, if you say so bud.

53 minutes ago, Missing Troll said:

We all know what comes of promises, nothing

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Just down from my house, the Chinese have bought a big piece of property.  They're going to build a hotel for Chinese tour groups only.  It's all part of the game.  Bring these tourists in for next to nothing, have optional activities that are expensive and run by Chinese, take them to restaurants run by Chinese and to souvenir shops run by Chinese.  Great way to make money if you can put it all together.

I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok that had just been purchased by a Chinese group.  It is now serving primarily Chinese tour groups.  The front desk barely spoke English.  Terrible place to stay.  Sadly, we got there just a week or two after the change.  The Trip Advisor page has been updated to reflect this.

Same here, stayed many trips in a nice hotel in Lad Phrao area. Then they filled up with Chinese tour groups, closed the coffeeshop where breakfast for other guests was served so you could enjoy your breakfast together with those oh so silent and polite Chinese tourists. 

But fortunately found a new recently opened lovely hotel in HuaMak area.

Almost all the Thai i know who live in the West (EU, AU, USA) are married illegally (only on paper), have illegal businesses, illegal workpermits or do illegal work. Not illegal but they have fake marriages and so on.  I don't care though but it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happens in Thailand.

Edited by Thian

3 hours ago, vagabundo said:

I have no idea why Thai government is such close-minded. There are many examples all around the world where governments allowed to foreigners to set up any kind of business, buying properties, makes it easier by lower taxes etc. Then economy is growing really fast, wealthy businessmans earn (and spend!) a lot of money, they are hiring a lot of locals and everybody is happy. I have at leats a few business ideas where I would hire 5-20 local people, give them good salary, I would implenent high western standards (for instance keeping my word that something will be done tommorow, not tommorow in one week :D)  
Such a shame that so amazing country is going to collapse day by day because of not too smart people.      

Please open some shops in BKK with Western mindset, good quality, good service, no double pricing, no long qeueu's, no bad manners/cheating.

For sure i will be your customer.

6 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

I though the General and his cronies were desperate for foreign investment in Thailand. Is this another communistic style deterrent for potential foreign investors?

Foreign investments are most welcome in Thailand and encouraged, as long as these are done LEGALLY. This is the way it's done in most countries including Thailand!

7 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Foreign investments are most welcome in Thailand and encouraged, as long as these are done LEGALLY. This is the way it's done in most countries including Thailand!

Which means that as a foreigner married to a Thai and/or with family, (in most cases) you can forget about legally setting up SME here to support yourself. The laws are the problem.

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

Do some thinking out of the box, after switching on the grey matter on top.

Do you not think I did that before posting? 

Come on then, tell me,  how does it threaten national security? 

Edited by Bluespunk

39 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Quite rightly so! Try and enter any western country as a tourist and set up legal or illegal businesses,and see what happens!

My wife entered Australia as a tourist, set up a partnership (with me) while she was on a Bridging Visa, and then a Pty Ltd Company (as corporate trustee for a family trust) with her as the sole director. She's been legal every step of the way, even registering for GST when legally required, and is employing up to 5 staff and paying all required taxes. She has never, ever, been questioned by the authorities, and is certainly not considered a threat to national security.

9 hours ago, Sharp said:

Really? Other countries aren't under a military hichahohip. Look at all the warning signs, flags, noises, clues as isolated cases, and sure its nothing or just a little something; put them together and its widespread sneaking towards "Kim" territory. Don't forget, its one of the classic Thai style methods to get what they want - painfully slow moving of goalposts.

4 hours ago, vagabundo said:

I have no idea why Thai government is such close-minded. There are many examples all around the world where governments allowed to foreigners to set up any kind of business, buying properties, makes it easier by lower taxes etc. Then economy is growing really fast, wealthy businessmans earn (and spend!) a lot of money, they are hiring a lot of locals and everybody is happy. I have at leats a few business ideas where I would hire 5-20 local people, give them good salary, I would implenent high western standards (for instance keeping my word that something will be done tommorow, not tommorow in one week :D)  
Such a shame that so amazing country is going to collapse day by day because of not too smart people.      

They are soldiers ... not business people ... not politicians ... nothing, except soldiers trying to "run" a country ... what do you expect.