The whiners and the silent majority

Just1Voice

" A 6'4', 280 lb retired State Trooper who was uses to people being intimidated by his size and his badge, but who found out that the Thai people weren't the least bit intimidated or impressed"

I'm happy he left, people like that don't belong here and will easily find themselves in trouble they couldn't imagine.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The impression I get from reading this forum is that those who came to Thailand because they thought easy access to booze and women would make them happy rarely seem to actually end up happy. Those who came here for other reasons often seem more content. 

I moved here because I liked the place - and years later I still do. 

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

The impression I get from reading this forum is that those who came to Thailand because they thought easy access to booze and women would make them happy rarely seem to actually end up happy. Those who came here for other reasons often seem more content. 

I thought they moved here for a sense of misplaced self grandeur. To each their own. 

Confucius said: The majority must always be on their guard, lest they may discover that they are not the majority, but the minority!

- Could it be that the "silent majority" is silent because nobody likes to admit failure in a public forum? (Thai nor Farang like to loose face!)
If that should apply, no wonder that the "silent majority" would prefer to remain silent.
Cheers.

32 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I thought they moved here for a sense of misplaced self grandeur. To each their own. 

A fine example of the kind of weird reaction touched upon earlier in this thread. I'm just happy here. If that upsets you in some way, surely that's your problem?

6 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

What complete and utter stupid and non intelligent  nonsense. Just give me one example in this thread ,or any thread for that matter, that gives any reason to support or substantiate your comments.  You continually make glib comments and sweeping statements that add nothing constructive to a thread. Why dont you either contribute something useful or just keep quiet ! Your Posts are never ever helpful or constructive or to add insight but purely designed for reaction. 

Edited by rogeroc

9 hours ago, rogeroc said:

May seem surprising for me to like your Post along with VF and on balance i think you are correct and I also  would rather hear the positive than the miserable as well. I am actually interested in hearing the lifestyle VF talks off and i appreciate that different Nationalities have a slightly different way in expressing themselves. What i dislikee more is when 'positive' Posters very quickly turn to insults (even if they are relatievly mild) on those who disagree and also when they click the Like button to other stronger insults. I think the comments and the examples i have made earlier in this thread are relevent to the topic and i had hoped that those the comments were directed at had not been so defensive.

It's the nature of the internet that somebody will come along and rain on every parade at some point, no matter how innocent that thread is, no matter how polite now matter how neutral. Why? Because they can, seems to be the answer. But more interestingly perhaps, many of those those naysayers target posters rather than topics hence the ability to turn a positive thread into a negative one is almost a weapon. I have several troll types who use any occasion to try and upset my threads or to argue stupidly and pointlessly against whatever I might have written be it foreign currency exchange, a trip to Pai or government legislation on pensions.

Again why?  Boredom and alcohol play a role, vanity and unhealed scars also, ageism is a significant factor as is political leanings, especially the far left when you're perceived as having a bias to the right - I'm sure there are other reasons. So it should come as no surprise that anyone who writes something on a social medium such as TVF may well get attacked and see their pleasant and informational thread turned into a replay of the Somme, the more they write the more they will get attacked and the more confrontational those threads become. And even the most balanced, stable and educated poster is likely to see their patience worn thin by all of this but isn't that why there are moderators.

Apparently all of this is simply human nature when it comes to social media in the internet age, freedom of speech has much to answer for!

I have lived in Thailand for a long time, pretty much quite happily for pretty much most of that time. I gave up commenting on the Forums due to the huge number of whingers on ALL the Forums on Thailand. I just read occasional news articles. However, I had to agree 100% on this one

Well said by Just1Voice.

16 hours ago, Gary A said:

I have been married for more than ten years. It took me a long time to find the right one. I planned marriage carefully too. She may even keep me because she says she is too old to train another farang. :thumbsup:

While I have only been married 5 years I could have written your reply myself only 3 months ago. It's only good till it's not, and in my case I didn't realise how toxic going to live where her family had access to her would be.

I believe that the happily married ones are happy with their lot more by chance than design, and it could so easily go wrong. Much like driving on Thai roads, getting to the destination unscathed is often sheer good luck, rather than driving skill.

I do admit that I am a crotchety old fart. It was made clear before we married that I would not put up with any of her family moving in with us. It was also made clear that I value my privacy and would not put up with visitors every day. I do have an advantage in that I kept my Jomtien condo and can be out of her house in one day. Her family very rarely comes in the house. We have a large outside patio and when she does have company, they sit out on the covered patio.

17 hours ago, Gary A said:

I do admit that I am a crotchety old fart. It was made clear before we married that I would not put up with any of her family moving in with us. It was also made clear that I value my privacy and would not put up with visitors every day. I do have an advantage in that I kept my Jomtien condo and can be out of her house in one day. Her family very rarely comes in the house. We have a large outside patio and when she does have company, they sit out on the covered patio.

im a more crotchety youngish fart and married one with 2  dead parents.........I know  a bargain when I see one

I came in thailand 8 years ago, initially to meet the Asian women, yeah !:giggle:  for the sun, for life cheaper and meet expatriates who look like some  Hemingway characters.

Today I am married to a beautiful young woman with almond eyes, I no longer cold, my house is big and nice and my meager pension is enough for us to live in an adequate comfort.

The only disappointment was in the complete absence of Hemingway heroes but I do not despair ...