Heads Up !!! The Hangout At Handong

evenstevens

5 hours ago, Trujillo said:

It seems to me that the moderators or administrators should put the following ThaiVisa rule to a certain individual:

Make the effort or have all your posts deleted. Everyone else makes the effort, even those whose first language is not English. 

Usually when there is a forum rule ,not just here,that is being ignored it is often because the subject matter generates more interest than normal and accidental click bait rates soar,particularly if the posters are using mobile devices where it is very easy to hit the wrong image because of the small screens. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mcm991 said:

I take it that you never really went outside Sydney much ........ (this is all a bit off topic anyway)

How would you know where I have lived or have been? Try living long term  in NSW & QLD and much travelled all over the country. Back on topic and to the Hangout, unless they can attract locals it will likely fail as its not on the tourist circuit and too far for CM punters to travel.

Draw a comparison with the bar at Hang Dong,last known as Euro /Thai, before that Dog and Bone. 4 owners have tried and all have closed.

Business is tough everywhere in the bar business if you are soley relying on locals,especially with hungry landlords

Edited by Sparkles

I agree re the bar scene but Id also add the catering scene to the list.  If you want to survive (i,e make a profit) then you must get the locals involved as part of your clientelle.

Lots of places in the Chiang Mai region have resident expats/falangs/foreigners.  However the numbers arent sufficient to support an Expat busines be it a bar  or  restaurant  (Or both).

I tried in Mae Rim when my better half thought it was a good idea.... I should have insisted that we do a business plan first (Stupid me for not doing so). Consequently the only place that has survived in the plaza out in Mae Rim is Steak of The Day.  Ray and his wife have kept their business running cause they rely on locals to keep it running.  Ray and Nui are both Thai and know what is required to survive.  

I hope the Hangout survives too...but they would be silly to think just falangs will make itt work.... there is not enough of us here yet for that to happen.

^^^^ Beg  to  differ ,at Maerim Plaza

The Cheun  Jai Thai Restaruant is trading very,very well,  the Japanese  joint   next to  S..O.D   and Let  It  Be   are cantering along,and sadly the Baan Salad which was doing a  excellent trade closed   due to the owner passing away, but do agree that Maerim Plaza is a difficult place to be a sucess, unless you pick the right location,and have  the necessary    Personality, Guile ,  and   Experience   to operate such estabalishments, the     Hangouts    General    Manager       has  these      important    credentials plus more

and   E/S    is sure  that this G.M., knows ,what    lays in  front, of    him     to  make  the    Hangout, a treat to hangout

its a Bonza good  morning to all:)

Interesting points E/S.... Chen Jai Thai is 'feeding' off SOTD in some regards, and as you said 'its about location'.  Let it Be ie relatively new to the area and I do hope it survives as I think to to be the best in the plaza.

I havent been into the Japenese place as yet, however I dont recall seeing it that busy.  The new place that opened up where Baan Salad was located, seems to be doing ok...although its early days for them.

John from the Indian restaurant Tiffin Talks, was offerred a business opportunity in Indonesia that he couldnt turn down so he shut up shop about a month ago.

Simons place (although big) is I think struggling....I dont know how he is surviving as he must be haemorrhagging money keeping the place open with very few customers.  A few go there to drink water and have free use of the pool table, which is a shame as Simon put a lot of time and money into the place.

But going back to what I said earlier...you cant rely solely on falangs as your clientele. Thais make up the majority of the population (Funny that....) and really you need to have them as you base customer.

I hope to get out to Hang Dong within the next few weeks to check out The Hangout.

16 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

How many of them talk in the Third Person? Is that pretty common, then? Or refer to themselves as horses? Granted, I don't know much about Australia, but the Aussies I've meet don't fit this mold.

The purpose of language is communication. If it's not understandable, it is missing that mark, regardless of the attempt at 'style.'

Surely the real subtextual purpose of language is to promote 'freedom' of communication....., I can understand the gist of what e/s has to say..., and his gist is jest (surely everyone gets that). I have not spied him abusing anyone (yet).
I shouldn't be posting this because I usually choose to ignore the various incarnates of syntax or grammar police.  
Half ahead and steady as she goes..., :wai: 

Anybody know about the menu offerings? None posted in the website....

Is it a "family friendly" atmosphere?

My girls enjoyed going to the Game when Mom stayed home - Father Daughter.....Still possible? As the Game progressed there were a few day time (drunks/clingers/barfly types)  that started getting glued to their seats regularly.....

Is it a sports bar honky tonk or a OK for everybody place?

e/s -----> if you answer this - try English.....That first post would drive folks away, not make them curious.....

++++ sorry But I can,   ask is What breed is   S..O.D  ? or that is   SOTD same,   as that  ? There is More than  necessary   

Personality, Guile ,  and   Experience   to operate such estabalishments, the

sucessful /way need  Heaps more. 

And , T/H knows, what he speaks..

its a irritating condescending Bears morning to all :sleep:

Trujilo,

your post is a bit confusing to say the least.  SOD or SOTD refers to Steak of The Day (A restaurant within the Mae Rim Plaza) which I though was quiet clear to work out based on previous posts within this OP (Original Post).

As for the remainder of your post...I'll continue to scratch my head in an effort to decipher your intent.

A very good Led Zeppelin morning to all

16 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Anybody know about the menu offerings? None posted in the website....

Is it a "family friendly" atmosphere?

My girls enjoyed going to the Game when Mom stayed home - Father Daughter.....Still possible? As the Game progressed there were a few day time (drunks/clingers/barfly types)  that started getting glued to their seats regularly.....

Is it a sports bar honky tonk or a OK for everybody place?

e/s -----> if you answer this - try English.....That first post would drive folks away, not make them curious.....

It is  family friendly, plenty of families there on Sunday when there was football showing, the food is reasonably priced, and we ate some bar snacks and watched the football.

Clientele was a mix of Thai and foreigners, and to be fair it's  a welcome addition to the area. 

1 hour ago, CMKiwi said:

Trujilo,

your post is a bit confusing to say the least.  SOD or SOTD refers to Steak of The Day (A restaurant within the Mae Rim Plaza) which I though was quiet clear to work out based on previous posts within this OP (Original Post).

As for the remainder of your post...I'll continue to scratch my head in an effort to decipher your intent.

A very good Led Zeppelin morning to all

As incomprehensible as an es post wouldn't you say?

26 minutes ago, Thailand said:

As incomprehensible as an es post wouldn't you say?

I think he was just trying to ridicule E/S.showing he is not 

the only one who can write drivel,taking the piss i think.

hope it does not catch on though

A Tangerine Dream, good afternoon to all

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

7 hours ago, Cockwomble said:

It is  family friendly, plenty of families there on Sunday when there was football showing, the food is reasonably priced, and we ate some bar snacks and watched the football.

Clientele was a mix of Thai and foreigners, and to be fair it's  a welcome addition to the area. 

What variety of football ?..., hands free..., all in rough n tumble..., or the Aussie ariel ping pong one ?  

8 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

What variety of football ?..., hands free..., all in rough n tumble..., or the Aussie ariel ping pong one ?  

according to their  FB page ...... most of them.

13932681_188623014887793_155522415696770

Here is this weeks LIVE Sports Schedule...The Hangout has them all.
Come and enjoy live sports while having a cold Draft Beer!

Thur 22
16:00 Golf European Open LIVE
16:00 Cricket India v New Zealand Test LIVE

Fri 23
15:00 Rugby Mitre 10 Cup Counties v Waikato LIVE
16:00 Golf European Open LIVE
16:00 Cricket India v New Zealand Test LIVE
16.30 AFL Geelong v Sydney LIVE
16.50 NRL Sharks v Cowboys LIVE
20:00 Rugby Currie Cup Boland v Bulls LIVE
24:00 Rugby Currie Cup Griquas v Western Province

Sat 24
13:00 Cricket India v New Zealand Test LIVE
14:00 AFL GWS v Bulldogs LIVE
14.30 Rugby Mitre 10 Cup Hawkes Bay v Tasman LIVE
16.45 NRL Storm v Raiders LIVE
17.30 Bikes Moto GP Spain Qualifying LIVE
18:00 Golf European Open LIVE
18.30 Premier League Man U v Leicester LIVE
18.30 Super League UK Hull KR v Huddersfield
20:00 Rugby Currie Cup Pumas v Cheetahs LIVE
21:00 Rugby Guinness Pro12 Munster v Edinburgh
21:00 Premier League Bournemouth v Everton LIVE
21:00 Premier League Liverpool v Hull LIVE
21:00 Premier League Middlesbrough v Spurs LIVE
21:00 Premier League Stoke v West Brom LIVE
21:00 Premier League Sunderland v Crystal Palace LIVE
21:00 Premier League Swansea v Man City LIVE
21:00 Rugby Aviva Northampton v Wasps LIVE
22:00 Rugby Currie Cup Kings v Lions LIVE
23:00 NCAA Football San Jose v Iowa St LIVE
23.30 Premier League Arsenal v Chelsea LIVE

Sun 25
15.30 Bikes Moto GP Spain Qualifying LIVE
15.30 Cricket India v New Zealand Test LIVE
18:00 Bikes FIM Motocross Italy (3 races) LIVE
18:00 Golf European Open LIVE
19:00 Scottish Premiership Aberdeen v Rangers LIVE
21:00 Rugby Aviva Leicester v Bath LIVE
21.15 Rugby Top 14 Toulon v Clermont Auvergne
22:00 Premier League West Ham v Southampton LIVE

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2016 at 11:02 AM, sharktooth said:

I'll give it a year...

There are people who understand how difficult business can be, and how much courage it takes to give it a try instead of just talking about it, so they wish them well. And then there are people like you, that probably love to see people fail and hate it if they succeed. Which is sad.

On 9/17/2016 at 11:56 PM, stament said:

ES if u want to be taken seriously lose the John Wayne or whatever accent you are trying to mimick. 

As a John Wayne fan and a fan of westerns classic movies in general I can assure you his post was not in a John Wayne accent....

On 9/17/2016 at 11:01 AM, worgeordie said:

I tried Google translate with this,but still none the wiser,

I think there would be an outcry if I started posting in

Geordie, I was talking to an Australian family just yesterday

and they did not talk like E/S does,I have also been to Oz,

and nobody talked like that,.I am sure he is capable of stringing

a sentence or two together in English that everyone could understand,

but just chooses to post like this just annoy.

regards worgeordie

Even Steven was A New Zealand racehorse that won a Melbourne Cup in 1962. I can only suppose this is the excuse for the racecourse argot. He was retired to stud in 1963 and one can only hope ES will retire his quaint form of the Australian language before it annoys to many more punters.

Furthermore I see nothing wrong in ES giving 'a mate a leg up' (to use racing parlance) to promote a new business.

The Hangout - here's my take on it foodwise....It's pretty much a bar....

Had to do a Rim Ping run today; which took me to Kad Farang, so I thought I'd take a look at The Hangout (was the Rosewood, then The Game)....

Once I navigated the parking lot, (new building going up, low hanging wires at odd angles, uneven & water filled paving/comcrete) I wandered into The Hangout.First impression to me was that it's a bar that also sells food/over an eatery that offers drinks....

The waitress was quick with a menu, smile, and greeting. She spoke perfect English without an accent, which surprised me. Looking closer I'm guessing she's half Thai which solved the mystery. Pretty gal - possibly a student - 

I looked around, (empty), and picked my spot - right there at table #31. This kind of surprised me because looking around there's about 6 tables. Where the old entrance was is now a bandstand - where the pool tables were seems to be a conversation area & there's a small dance floor in front of the bandstand. If you're looking to find food there you'd have to sit at one of the 2 long tables & share or sit on padded stools around small bar type drink tables, or sit outside with the smokers..... Limited seating compared to The Game - which didn't have much.....

There's 2 menu's - one for grub & one for drinks. For the beer guys it seemed to be a decent amount of brews available. If you're away from town and need to expand your boiler - this may be an option for you. I'm not sure if the pricing is good or not.....So, if you're a quart low give it a try - just be careful reconoitering the parking lot once you're back to full on the dipstick....

Looking at the menu there's western fare along with a few Thai dishes. The hamburger is 240B + cheese @ 40B + Bacon if you want @ 40B.....So you're looking at 320B and there was no indication of size....I didn't go there. A buddy of mine said he'd tried the pizza there but wasn't thrilled......

I opted for the Parma ham, parmesan, mixed salad with balsamic dressing @ 180B (as a hush falls across the room) curious to see how big it would be, and what came with it....

The answers are, it's about medium sized, & nothing comes with it. No crackers, no side bread or pizza dough rolls - nada....There were some onion & tomatoes mixed in the salad. It was served with a fork and a spoon.....I'd never tried to cut a salad with a spoon before so I learned that survival skill right there at my table #31....And lived to tell the tale.....

I asked for some salt & pepper when the guy brought the salad....He Didn't speak English so well and I got a condiment holder with 3 separate Pepper shakers & grinder = but No salt....He also came back with either a container of salad dressing or mayonnaise - I'm not quite sure on this because the container was more empty than full.....Apparently some thoughtless sot before me used what was in there First.....I placed it sideways on the table to try and get whatever it was to work to a squeezable position - then decided I really didn't care & set it upright for the next patron to try......

Total for salad & coke zero served to all of us hanging around table #31 = 215B.....

The place is pleasant in a bar kind of way - probably what they want (The Game held more "charm")......But if they want to get a name for serving food they've still got some work to do....

I wanted to check it because my daughters liked to go to The Game.....But, for me, the new place doesn't hold the allure...For food....

Add a band & some peanut shells on the floor and you'd have a good night time bar venue (with, or without the peanut shells).......But peanut shell places are always fun....

That sums up my Hangout experience.....They've got some work to do.....

I don't know that I'll be back.....

I went Monday lunchtime.

Tiger beer 99 baht a pint, can't grumble at that, menu was much smaller than the Game's was, unfortunate, but we both had club sandwiches which were adequate.

There is not much parking available because of the great big KFC that's being built in front of it. Could get very busy and maybe difficult to get a parking spot on a busy night.

I hope it works out for them , the manager seems a friendly bloke and we need a bar in this area.

Good luck to them

1 hour ago, ThaiPauly said:

I went Monday lunchtime.

Tiger beer 99 baht a pint, can't grumble at that, menu was much smaller than the Game's was, unfortunate, but we both had club sandwiches which were adequate.

There is not much parking available because of the great big KFC that's being built in front of it. Could get very busy and maybe difficult to get a parking spot on a busy night.

I hope it works out for them , the manager seems a friendly bloke and we need a bar in this area.

Good luck to them

Adequate is probably the right term for description of the food but I would put my salad on the low side of that.....

But....

I think being a bar is what they are all about....On FB they've had videos of making - flamed drinks - cantilevered fountain drinks - lines of shots being quick poured & claimed by all around....

So, as a bar they could have a shot....IMO their food won't be enticing anyone back.....Which is too bad as that's kind of a black hole area as far as food is concerned....

Viva Italian on Canal Road & the TexMex Fajita's place on Somoeng Road are the two closest options....

Edited by pgrahmm

It appears that they are trying to do something that works sometimes in Sukhumvit and almost never in the Thaphae area...They are about where the Game was after the first round of price cuts, but that was already too !aate for them.  99 for a Tiger? Maybe in bkk, but never at an empty bar.  The salad sounds like a fail, and after getting the baby Romaine at 6 for 20 THB at Royal Project it is unlikely I will ever eat a restaurant salad again.  And that popular cream stuff is almost as bad as ice in beer.  No mention of HH?

The October beer was ok, too expensive anyway. Pizza sucks, they don't put tomato sauce on it. The owner throws perhaps a round of free drinks, it's nice. Overall I don't think it will survive. Thais don't go there and for me it was a one time and skip.