The Beatles' 'Eight Days a Week': the live career of 'a great little rock 'n' roll band'

rooster59

IMO the real measure of the Beatles was what they did after the Beatlemania thing, when they stopped touring and had complete creative freedom (or very close to it) for their records.  The first three albums of that period, Yesterday and Today, Rubber Soul and Revolver set the stage for the progressive rock of the late 1960s into the 1970s.  Never liked Sgt. Pepper, I sensed a sort of "we can record anything and you'll buy it" kind of cynicism.  I now look back on it as a musical LSD experiment.

I hope the movie touches on the episode in the Philippines.  Somewhere on the net is Lennon's recount of what happened there.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, iReason said:

^^^

Yesterday and Today was not an official Beatles release.

It's a chop job that skimmed a few songs from several proper British releases that Capitol Records (in America) did on various occasions to "create" more albums.

:thumbsup:

What sort of drugs are you on? 

Obviously not from the 70's

I read a good book by Geoff Emerick who was the audio engineer on Sgt. Pepper. Along with producer George Martin, they and the lads did some things that had never been done in a studio as far as stretching the limits of what recording equipment would do in those days. No digital of course, and it"s been a while since I read the book, but it was 2 track or 4 track or something and they were doing stuff that had never been done to get all the sounds they wanted. Very good read!

Thank God everything they recorded was not thrown in the trash bin. All those outtakes, flawed backing tracks, background chatter during rehearsals, unused audio on the cutting room floor... all that stuff was kept and we can hear it today on the "Anthology" sets and the "Love" album and others.  Those early 'takes' of "She's A Woman" found on YouTube show the raw power of a young "Paul's" vocals..  hopefully they'll keep digging up old unheard stuff from the Beatles and remix into something amazing. I often wonder what their music would've been like if they had todays technology back then..  but <deleted>, you wouldn't wanna change any of it!

Thank God everything they recorded was not thrown in the trash bin. All those outtakes, flawed backing tracks, background chatter during rehearsals, unused audio on the cutting room floor... all that stuff was kept and we can hear it today on the "Anthology" sets and the "Love" album and others.  Those early 'takes' of "She's A Woman" found on YouTube show the raw power of a young "Paul's" vocals..  hopefully they'll keep digging up old unheard stuff from the Beatles and remix into something amazing. I often wonder what their music would've been like if they had todays technology back then..  but <deleted>, you wouldn't wanna change any of it!

The "scandal" of Yesterday and Today was the initial album cover, which showed the four of them surrounded by mannequin parts.  It was said to be mocking of their fans, though I can't recall who exactly was saying it.  If you have that album and cover in good condition now you could probably buy a house with the money you'd get from selling it.  When CDs came along some Beatles tracks I never heard before surfaced, one of them was Dr. Robert.  I had no recollection of it, and I would have noticed because back then I had a friend named Robert who was quite involved in, um, chemistry.

Yes indeed the releases were different in UK and US.  I had a buddy used to fly between NYC and London on business (he was a mainframe wiz) and he used to make traveling money by bringing US albums to Blighty and selling them, then bringing back UK releases. 

42 minutes ago, claynlr said:

I read a good book by Geoff Emerick who was the audio engineer on Sgt. Pepper. Along with producer George Martin, they and the lads did some things that had never been done in a studio as far as stretching the limits of what recording equipment would do in those days. No digital of course, and it"s been a while since I read the book, but it was 2 track or 4 track or something and they were doing stuff that had never been done to get all the sounds they wanted. Very good read!

I am pretty sure that he said that Paul was -by far- the best musician of the group. He could play every instrument well and did on his first solo LP: "McCartney."

The greatest rock group of all-time! default_clap2.gif

Floyd for me; music for the endorphins. [emoji6]
The Beatles tended more towards pop I think and unless you're on something would struggle to listen to more than a couple tunes in succession. There's no doubting they had a massive influence, however, and this thing by Ron Howard-Walton is a good effort to keep it all alive.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Floyd for me; music for the endorphins. emoji6.png
The Beatles tended more towards pop I think and unless you're on something would struggle to listen to more than a couple tunes in succession. There's no doubting they had a massive influence, however, and this thing by Ron Howard-Walton is a good effort to keep it all alive.

I find it interesting that you needed to be stoned to listen to the Beatles, but are a Pink Floyd fan. I was too young to get high when the Beatles were still together, so listened to them straight.

I liked Pink Floyd too, but mostly when tripping. Now that I have (mostly) reformed, they do not do much for me anymore. The Beatles still do.

24 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

lets not argue whose the best of the British Invasion: how about some nostalgic lists: top 10 (in no particular order):

Moody Blues

Animals (feat. Eric Burton)

Beatles

Stones

Kinks

Hollies

Yardbirds

The Who

The Troggs

Dusty

the trouble, is where to stop........

The 60's was an incredible time for pop music from both sides of the pond, l saw many in your list live during that period..:thumbsup:

PS. It's Eric Burdon...

36 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

lets not argue whose the best of the British Invasion: how about some nostalgic lists: top 10 (in no particular order):

Moody Blues

Animals (feat. Eric Burton)

Beatles

Stones

Kinks

Hollies

Yardbirds

The Who

The Troggs

Dusty

the trouble, is where to stop........

The Nice.  Saw them as the 3rd act of a show, had no idea what to expect.  Amazing the way that guy handled that Hammond organ.  Also changed my view of Brubeck.

(hey, we no longer have strike-through fonts!)

Oh, and Cream.

11 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Absolutely!

Buddy Holly was great to and a real classic. Odd as it is but whenever I hear his music played today, which isn't often, my toes still get tapping.

Without Buddy Holly no Beatles or Stones, both bands have said so.

Buddy Holly changed it all for all of us, some would say the cultural freedoms we have now are owed to Buddy breaking those first barriers down that the Beatles followed

John Lennon told Jerry “J.I.” Allison, drummer for the Crickets and Holly’s best friend, “There would not even have been a Beatles had it not been for the Crickets.

Take the time to read this for an insight

http://www.virtualubbock.com/stoCOBuddy.html

15 minutes ago, BKKdreaming said:

ummmm does Beatlemania in the early 70s in Hollywood count ? , at the Palladium on Sunset  ( I think)

The Beatles had stopped touring by the time I could go to a concert by myself ,  

Did see the Stones , Blind Faith , The Who  and others  I forgot :)

lucky you, on the ones you remember and don't remember ;) not sure about the 70's as I wasn't there. You remember what they say about the late sixties 'if you remember, you probabl0eren't there (Grace Slick?) I do remember clearly, a few memorable US acts, touring Ireland, early 1960's (Roy Orbison, Ray Charles).

Got my gray cells working now....:facepalm:.....Saw the Yardbirds and Georgie Fame  perform at our local swimming baths, the main pool at times was boarded over for events to create a dance floor. Small faces at a small local church hall, The Kinks at a local dance hall, Rolling Stones at a local cinema on stage....:thumbsup:

Just now, Ulysses G. said:

Yes it was. The LPS in America were different.

"The LPS in America were different." :blink: :cheesy:

No.

As is in many cases, you are wrong.

Again.

Please refer to Post #32.

I guess you missed that part. :lol:

P.S. For referrence, their latter albums were made as a concept.

Not as some piece of meat to be chopped up for additional "product" by some record company in 'murica.

Just now, bamukloy said:

What sort of drugs are you on? 

Obviously not from the 70's

The Beatles stopped recording in 1969.

Dem drugs taken a toll your memory?

:whistling:

•  
Edited by iReason

Just now, BKKdreaming said:

yeah in the 80s I saw  Roy Orbison  at a small club called the Troubador out in the SF Valley , 

The Troubadour was on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood.

A far cry from the Valley.

:lol:

Edited by iReason