Security tight as huge full moon party rages on Koh Pangan

rooster59

Security tight as huge full moon party rages on Koh Pangan

10-300x148.jpg

Image: Thai News agency

KOH PANGAN:-- Security was tight as thousands of foreign and Thai tourists arrived for the monthly full moon party on Koh Pangan last night.

A large amount of police, checkpoints and scanning equipment was deployed as the authorities moved to assure the safety of the revelers. And it seemed to work as there were no reports of serious incidents.

Daily News reported that Marine Police were checking arrivals in Koh Samui on the look out for known offenders who might use the cover of the party to commit crime. In addition tourists were advised to wear life jackets when travelling on to Koh Pangan due to some two meter high waves in the area.

Tnamcot reported that on Koh Pangan itself there was a checkpoint in the Ban Tai area leading up to Hat Rin where 5000 to 6000 tourists enjoyed the party. On Hat Rin beach there were body scanners looking for illegal items but nothing was found.

Reports said that a great time was had by all with many tourists availing themselves of the luminous body paints that are a feature of the event and bring income to locals.

Source: Thai News agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-17

4 minutes ago, fish monger said:

This may be news to someone sitting in some back plains, mountain top town in North Dakota, where most of the residents couldn't find Thailand on a map, but it is far from being news to anyone here in LOS.......

Not many mountain tops in North Dakota.

A large amount of police, checkpoints and scanning equipment was deployed as the authorities moved to assure the safety of the revelers. And it seemed to work as there were no reports of serious incidents.

To my eyes exactly same scanner as last time – and my 8 times before last, spread over 1½ year – quite useless I presume, as it alerts when we walk pass, and the officer just wave us to forward, but I have no knowledge about security-scanners. However, I'm happy enough to see the authorities cares for us guest's safety. 

Full-Moon-Part-securitychec.jpg

This photo of the scanner at Full Moon Party entrance is from 3rd June, 2015 – exactly same procedure last night.

But last night there was an extra officer checking if we had the mandatory wristband – so that was double-checked.

On the Haad Rin pier were some uniformed officers – some looked like Marine Department, that often come and check on various speedboat operators, if they are up to security standard with number of passengers, and everybody wearing life-jacket, and presumably a lot of other things, I don't know about. Most of the officers seemed to have a cozy time together with the owner of the company we used, but I'm really glad they come and check, I did not notice if there were officers at other operator's boats.

wDSC03319_warning-signs.jpg

The big safety warning posters on the fence at Lomlakh speedboats, photo fra June 30th, 2015. 

On Hat Rin beach there were body scanners looking for illegal items but nothing was found.
Reports said that a great time was had by all with many tourists availing themselves of the luminous body paints that are a feature of the event and bring income to locals.

I did not notice any body-scanners on the beach area, the "main entrance" on the mid of the beach is narrow and as usual overcrowded with first-timers stopping and taking photos, which gives an exciting atmosphere – we had some first-timer guests with us, so of course using that entrance. I also used the back way from Paradise Bungalows, and neither there, were any checks. Everything seemed "business as usual" – apart from new and bigger signs "Please keep Haad Rin clean" on the many garbage bins – the Full Moon Party in my experience, is much better and more safe, than it's reputation. I enjoy coming dancing there...

012)w20160916_DSC03813_paradise.jpgHaad Rin Sunrise Beach last night in front of Paradise Bungalows. 

I can find a better  and more fun time in Bangkok or any other city in Thailand on any day of the week.. Sorry, not a fan of the full moon nonsense. Why come to Thailand to be with other foreigners getting drunk or high. One can do that in Los Angeles, London or  Moscow.

:thumbsup: Canada  legalize IT

This party s  is overpriced. crazy high prices for food and alcohol. many fake drugs scam and other scams.. watch your pocket and dont come there with credit card.  and you risk life in jail just for "fun"  ..soo i dont now..

but in compare with partys in western world ,is still one off  best party in the world. i will there again.. 

Also good party ..you can try Ozora in hungary.. or some in Israel..  just use youtube search. 

7 hours ago, Stardust314 said:

This party s  is overpriced. crazy high prices for food and alcohol. many fake drugs scam and other scams.. watch your pocket and dont come there with credit card.  and you risk life in jail just for "fun"  ..soo i dont now..

but in compare with partys in western world ,is still one off  best party in the world. i will there again.. 

Also good party ..you can try Ozora in hungary.. or some in Israel..  just use youtube search. 

There are hundreds of better parties, festivals and music events round the world but lets not publicise on this forum. THE KP FMP supplies mediocre young bores with idea that they have done something original and adventurous.  KP was losing its vibes over 25 years ago.

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

There are hundreds of better parties, festivals and music events round the world but lets not publicise on this forum. THE KP FMP supplies mediocre young bores with idea that they have done something original and adventurous.  KP was losing its vibes over 25 years ago.

Koh Phangan FM parties have not lost but changed their vibes. I have enjoyed lots of them in the eighties and nineties and don't go there anymore, but, however, let have the younger folks have their fun as it is now. Good business for the locals and lots of fun for the not so old "modern freaks".

Full moon parties are ridiculous from the first day.

Not even being able to have the same sound everywhere on the beach is just plain stupid.

29 minutes ago, Slip said:

I was at the full moon parties around 2001-3.  Even then they were crap compared to the raves and festivals that were happening in the 'summer of love' in the UK 10-15 years before.

1 hour ago, Stardust314 said:

You really know nothing about parties in the world...

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Kudo's to the police for keeping things under control. Thank God I have all that testosterone worked out of my system. 

Yes you can be sure that police or any officials in thailand are the reason why nothing went wrong...

Or maybe just that no terrorshit decided to bomb there that night...

2 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Full moon parties are ridiculous from the first day.

Not even being able to have the same sound everywhere on the beach is just plain stupid.

Exactly so, I thought, before going there – preferred the moon-parties at Chaweng Lake View Arena due to one stage and one DJ only, at the time – but after I finally went to the original Full Moon Party, I realized I should have done it 14 year before. It's really so cool with 10+ different sound-stages, so you can find your favorite on the same beach-party; and also the preferred area for your party-mode, weather it's standing on a high stage pulling your arms up and wave; or fire-skipping and water-gliding to funky tech-beat; or just dancing in the sand; or walk around all night and enjoy a bit of it all; or...:P

By the way, "first day" was back in the 1970'ies – presumably 1977 – and I believe those folks attending it that Xmas full moon night for Joe's 21st birthday, did not think it was ridiculous at all; because folks kept coming back every full moon since then...:whistling:

Personally I prefer the sound stage in front of Paradise, the one by of The Rock, good tech-dance and excellent DJ – however, the other DJ's are also great – but for me, the space for dancing is important, as I attend the party again-and-again mainly for that...:D

And a remark to chose talking about "overpriced" – not in my view, with an entrance fee of 100 baht ($3), and bucket prices from 250 baht to 450 baht ($8 to $15) – you can even buy your beer or drinks in 7-eleven or like, and bring them to the beach.

7 hours ago, HOOD Robin said:

Why oh why they just dont  STOP / CANCEL  this crazy stuff ??

Maybe bc there is too much $$ involved for the BIB and other crooks ?  :coffee1:

And you would stop all the pop concerts in the UK and around the world.  Not my 'cup of tea' but for many others it is!

Killjoy!!

The Party is a gold mine for the local(s) (mafia) and the police and it will go on. Dont worry guys. Last time when I was there few month ago, around 15 police men were walking around for few min. Later when i went to the toilet behind a pub, they were sitting there and drinking. Welcome to Thailand. It always was like that and it will never change.

Whilst not for FMP, when we arrived last week by Rajah ferry the BIB were standing on the pier using their phones to film all the passengers walking off the ramp. Don't recall this happening before. Didn't see any filming on or off the Songserm ferry when we left but perhaps they have CCTV there.

59 minutes ago, Kiwisailor said:

Whilst not for FMP, when we arrived last week by Rajah ferry the BIB were standing on the pier using their phones to film all the passengers walking off the ramp. Don't recall this happening before. Didn't see any filming on or off the Songserm ferry when we left but perhaps they have CCTV there.

thats the new smart police thing in action. they were going to mount cameras to their heads but the budget for the cameras disappeared. then the general remembered that every cop has a high end phone to research playing pokie mon so they are to be used as the CCTV net work. actually not such a bad idea. there was also a budget for selfie poles so the cops could look over walls but somehow that also disappeared so now they are using blue PVC poles.

Archived