Thai food everyday......?

JAFO

For a long time I read posters complain that they hate eating Thai food every day. What exactly do you eat the same everyday? 

I was thinking about this today as I was eating Gai Yan(basically rotisserie chicken) with my wife. This is quite good and honestly nothing really Thai about it. Made it in the US quite frequently.  Breakfast can be fried eggs with rice and a glass of milk or OJ. I routinely see scrambled eggs like an omelet with onions and garlic. Dinner can be BBQ'd fish, Deep fried fish, BBQ'd pork ribs.BBQ'd chicken. You can eat various soups and a host of veggies anyway you want. Regardless, the options of food here is endless and many do not strike me as "Thai" specific. Thai specific to me is more like Somtum, various curry dishes, noodle soups with pork or fish balls. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have whatever Thai food my wife makes every day - no complaints.. .

About once a week I'll grab either a burger or a pizza.....This week I mixed it up and brought home some burritos....

For breakfast usually have a couple of slices of sourdough toast on the side of whatever she prepares.... She'll have a small piece also or croissant somewhere along the way with her coffee....

When i used to come here on holiday for 2 to 3 weeks apart from breakfast i would eat Thai noodle and Thai rice dishes all the time. Since living here longer i have changed back to eating as much Western food as Thai, i get cravings for cottage pie / lasagne / potatoes sometimes. Other thing i have noticed i used to be a great lover of tropical fruits,  yellow mango, coconut in particular but have just lost interest in them.

Examples of what I eat at home in Thailand. Never boring, reasonably healthy, and always delicious.

DSCN7292.JPG

Homegrown baby salad greens with yellow bell peppers, hard boiled eggs, vinaigrette dressing

DSCN7301.JPG

Fruit salad: medjool dates, california raisins, celery, honey oranges, granny smith & NZ apples, homegrown bananas, lamut, strawberry yogurt dressing. (Note: lamut (sapodilla) and date flavors and textures are very complimentary.)

DSCN2873.JPG

stuffed calamari with sriracha sauce

DSCN3794.JPG

hot and sour shitake mushroom soup

DSCN6169.JPG

homegrown baby cabbage salad with grated carrot and ginger poached chicken breast

DSCN7421.jpg

seasoning base for wontons (green onions, kii nuu and orange chili peppers, garlic, ginger, sichuan and black pepper corns)

DSCN6915.JPG

pan fried sillago. OMG delicious.

DSCN7256.JPG

salad with homegrown baby red onions which have been marinated and roasted. Roquefort cheese dressing. (looks like a lot of dressing, but photo taken before tossing.)

larb moo with lots of cilantro

sunflower, cabbage, collard green sprout salad.

DSCN3596.JPG

DSCN6120.JPG

All looks nice.  I eat Thai food about 90 percent.  I never like burgers, fries and pizzas from fast food places anyway... and cooking farang food from scratch just for myself works out a lot of ingredients wasted and also wasted money.

Thailand seems to have an unlimited amount of different foods... the other poster saying the markets only does the same things it gets boring...... I can't understand that!!!!  Maybe he is only going to one small market?  I am always finding new foods here and love to try everything to see if I like it.

Also I buy nearly all my food from Thai markets, street stalls, and small local restaurants.  Its much cheaper and easier than making the food myself.. and I don't have any cleaning up to do!

Having local Thai friends helps too... as they often cook at their homes.. or mine in there is a party.. and they will cook real local food, which is not found in the restaurants. 

As well as the usual Thai food I actually like a few more unusual things like raw buffalo laab, some of the fried insects with lime leaves, chicken ovaries soup, and chicken feet five spice soup.

Good to see others that mix it up like I do. I struggled to understand when people would list why they were moving back to their home country and one was they were sick of Thai food. This morning will be a stop at the lady that sets up at a corner and sells the best Khao man Gai around. Nicest folk. Simple, healthy. portion size perfect. Because I have eaten this in Vietnam, Laos, US etc I never found this to be a Thai dish other then by name.

In all my years I have never craved anything fast food here. KFC, McDonalds, PizzaHut, Sizzlers etc. In ways sad to see that junk making its way here. I didn't eat it in the US why come here and do it. I would say the only thing I miss would be some good Tortilla Chips because I can make up a delish Salsa with all the ingredients here along with guacamole from my neighbors avocado tree. Occasionally when I am in BKK I will stop by Villa Market and buy up a few bags of Chips. If they do not have the ones I like I buy up the fresh tortillas and my wife makes us Tortilla chips. 

22 hours ago, JAFO said:

Good to see others that mix it up like I do. I struggled to understand when people would list why they were moving back to their home country and one was they were sick of Thai food. This morning will be a stop at the lady that sets up at a corner and sells the best Khao man Gai around. Nicest folk. Simple, healthy. portion size perfect. Because I have eaten this in Vietnam, Laos, US etc I never found this to be a Thai dish other then by name.

I think you will find its a Chinese dish .. Hokkian chicken or something.

I think the people who complain about Thai food every day are the kind that eat "Jan diaow" one plate meals .. This is what we know as Thai food as its served in restaurants back home.

i know a guy who won't wait more than 2 mins for food and can't order unless he can point at it.

Edited by recom273

I agree with your sentiments.

When my Ex came to see me with 3 of her nieces I brought them into Big C food court (more to let then see what it was all about as we don't have similar in our country) I ordered omelette on rice and chicken and rice and for afters Mango with sticky rice.

Well....you want to see them "picking" at it,  like it was live snails or fish heads or something like that. I could see they had already formed the opinion that " one could never know what their eating in a Thai dish."  I pointed out that there is nothing in front of them that they haven't eaten a thousand time at home.....it didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

here is what's wrong with Thai food. Much/most of it is fried and if you look the fat in the pan can't be seperated from the meal and so it is servered up in the liquid/sauce of many meals. It's like pouring out a small cup full of cooking oil and drinking it for many types of Thai meals! Many/most other meals are cooked via frying so these particular choices are not a healthy regular option in addition to which many Thai's do not change their cooking oil often enough -  for those meals where the (old) oil is not already servered up in the meal to eat!  

Edited by twix38

On 9/18/2016 at 7:05 AM, Gecko123 said:

Examples of what I eat at home in Thailand. Never boring, reasonably healthy, and always delicious.

DSCN7292.JPG

Homegrown baby salad greens with yellow bell peppers, hard boiled eggs, vinaigrette dressing

DSCN7301.JPG

Fruit salad: medjool dates, california raisins, celery, honey oranges, granny smith & NZ apples, homegrown bananas, lamut, strawberry yogurt dressing. (Note: lamut (sapodilla) and date flavors and textures are very complimentary.)

DSCN2873.JPG

DSCN3794.JPG

DSCN6169.JPG

homegrown baby cabbage salad with grated carrot and ginger poached chicken breast

DSCN7421.jpg

seasoning base for wontons (green onions, kii nuu and orange chili peppers, garlic, ginger, sichuan and black pepper corns)

DSCN6915.JPG

salad with homegrown baby red onions which have been marinated and roasted. Roquefort cheese dressing. (looks like a lot of dressing, but photo taken before tossing.)

The fruit salad really looks great!  I will save the recipe for making it myself.

On 9/18/2016 at 7:05 AM, Gecko123 said:

DSCN7292.JPG

DSCN7301.JPG

DSCN2873.JPG

DSCN3794.JPG

DSCN6169.JPG

DSCN7421.jpg

DSCN6915.JPG

DSCN7256.JPG

DSCN3596.JPG

DSCN6120.JPG

The poached chicken looks lush, dunno bout the cabbage and carrot though.

After living for more than 2 and a half years in Thailand and having Thai food on a daily basis, now Persian food tastes too bland for me. Last time I visited Iran I lost a couple of kilos in two weeks. Even now that I'm in Singapore I still crave Thai food all the time. Luckily I learned to cook a few Thai dishes to survive. Thai food in Singapore sucks!

On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Gecko123 said:

DSCN7292.JPG

DSCN7301.JPG

DSCN2873.JPG

DSCN3794.JPG

DSCN6169.JPG

DSCN7421.jpg

DSCN6915.JPG

DSCN7256.JPG

DSCN3596.JPG

DSCN6120.JPG

Excellent pics.

I eat mostly from the Thai markets and Thai Food stalls.  Never in 10 years had a single problem from them.  I don't know why you doctor would warn you not to eat from them.  If any one of them started serving food that was making people sick they would go out of business as no one would buy from them.

The poster who says most Thai food is fried... that is not true.  That is the Thai fast food you are talking about.  There are so many dishes that are steamed, grilled, BBQ, soups, salads, som tams, eaten raw, and even a few baked foods.  I like the steamed meat rapped up in Pasanda leaves, and also the steamed fish.  Pork satay is grilled and delicious, fresh spring rolls, are very healthy, and there are many more examples.

3 hours ago, twix38 said:

here is what's wrong with Thai food. Much/most of it is fried and if you look the fat in the pan can't be seperated from the meal and so it is servered up in the liquid/sauce of many meals. It's like pouring out a small cup full of cooking oil and drinking it for many types of Thai meals! Many/most other meals are cooked via frying so these particular choices are not a healthy regular option in addition to which many Thai's do not change their cooking oil often enough -  for those meals where the (old) oil is not already servered up in the meal to eat!  

You forgot to mention that its also more than likely to contain MSG, and the vegetables are unlikely to have been washed thoroughly enough to remove all the pesticides etc....

Plus, any meat is going to be battery farmed - i.e. not only morally repugnant, but full of hormones etc.

Edited by dick dasterdly

On 09/17/2016 at 6:28 PM, Strange said:

Thai food is thai food. The local market people sell all the same thing so after a while it gets boring. 

Only if you continue to buy the same thing. There is a wide range of Thai food so buying the same doesn't really enter into it. From the vendors in the street yes a lot of it is the same.

On September 17, 2016 at 8:18 PM, pgrahmm said:

I have whatever Thai food my wife makes every day - no complaints.. .

About once a week I'll grab either a burger or a pizza.....This week I mixed it up and brought home some burritos....

For breakfast usually have a couple of slices of sourdough toast on the side of whatever she prepares.... She'll have a small piece also or croissant somewhere along the way with her coffee....

Where you get Burritos? , I want  a Super Carne Asada burrito, super means quac and sour cream

DSCN7292.thumb.JPG.a7b5d2780d0c74eb3baac54995825a83.JPG

DSCN7301.thumb.JPG.d0d6e6f0577f46d24601fb789dcfbbc2.JPG

DSCN2873.thumb.JPG.85502cf431d35f50e4a480c8bb7609c4.JPG

DSCN3794.thumb.JPG.714e4145a4d3bed3b715457b168bdd9b.JPG

DSCN6169.thumb.JPG.77b88513741610de5d3cfda71b82e775.JPG

DSCN7421.thumb.jpg.58b57362313757d17fb9d463008c5485.jpg

DSCN6915.thumb.JPG.f6e922915db9c7bd33cbad8cdc9e95d3.JPG

DSCN7256.thumb.JPG.7696bc2186c390e9a42b0a5adbdffa42.JPG

DSCN3596.thumb.JPG.2891fed2cfa2a1c97668cc1403fdbca5.JPG

DSCN6120.thumb.JPG.9b973fabbabdeb607c32870ec8ad79ee.JPG

That makes even aBig Mac a look a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

38 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Where you get Burritos? , I want  a Super Carne Asada burrito, super means quac and sour cream

There's a place within 10 minutes of us here on the outskirts of CM....

Seems to be the new "it" place for TexMex around CM....They can fix you up....

There's also a burrito truck some love that's open 11-3 - basic pork & chicken - but not bad....Again, about 10 minutes out....