Stocks & Shares Account in TH for "Tourists"

Hi,

Just a quick one: Is there ANY chance of opening a stocks & shares account with any bank in Thailand if you have a tourist visa only? I am currently here on a METV but plan to remain in the country for the foreseeable future. I was "lucky" enough to be able to open a bang account with Krungthai last year (on a tourist visa) but I guess opening a share account might be a significantly more difficult thing to achieve, isn´t it?

DUS

23 hours ago, Oxx said:

It's not possible for anyone to open "a stocks & shares account with any bank in Thailand".  Banks don't provide that facility because they are banks.  Brokerages, however, do.

Strange -- Bangkok Bank says on their web site "Our Introducing Agent service can help you open a securities trading account to trade stocks via Bualuang Securities PCL, our capital markets arm. Bualuang Securities offer a full range of equity investment options and internet and mobile phone trading services." The securities trading account is available through Bangkok Bank online. Other banks such as SCB offer a similar service.

See http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/InvestmentsAndDeposits/IntroducingAgentService/Pages/default.aspx

Personally, I do not have a a securities trading account with any bank, due to a long time account with a share broker (TISCO Securities).

I suggest the OP contacts his bank for more details.

Edited by taiping

5 minutes ago, taiping said:

Strange -- Bangkok Bank says on their web site "Our Introducing Agent service can help you open a securities trading account to trade stocks via Bualuang Securities PCL, our capital markets arm.

Not strange, and exactly as I wrote.  The account is not with the bank, but with a separate group company.  The bank merely acts as an introducing agent.

8 minutes ago, taiping said:

Strange -- Bangkok Bank says on their web site "Our Introducing Agent service can help you open a securities trading account to trade stocks via Bualuang Securities PCL, our capital markets arm. Bualuang Securities offer a full range of equity investment options and internet and mobile phone trading services." The securities trading account is available through Bangkok Bank online. Other banks such as SCB offer a similar service.

See http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/InvestmentsAndDeposits/IntroducingAgentService/Pages/default.aspx

Personally, I do not have a a securities trading account with any bank, due to a long time account with a share broker (TISCO Securities).

I suggest the OP contacts his bank for more details.

But they do say:  

Remark: Bangkok Bank acts as an introducing agent for Bualuang Securities for investors wishing to open a securities trading account. The bank is not responsible for approving the opening of accounts, securities trading, or other services of Bualuang Securities.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/Services/Pages/IA.aspx