Heads Up Boys & Girls---River on the Rise

Gonzo the Face

There is in CM two retired senior 'Mechanical Engineers' one Yank and one from down under.

Both have told me completely independent of the other that an inflatable 'Wier' would solve much of CM's problems.

Low water inflate, rising water deflate.

Very old technology that they claim works.

john

56 minutes ago, dave2 said:

re

From last evening at 8 PM,  up almost a half meter.

i dont know about from last night but its certainly risen about 18 inches

since pic 1 was taken six days ago 

to the two pics from this afternoon

dave2 

river level marker post 13 sept 16 20160913_175610 (2).jpg

river level marker post 13 sept 16 20160913_175610 (3).jpg

river level marker post 19 sept 16 20160919_155750~01 (1).jpg

A point of question Dave,,,, are those level markings in feet and inches or metric?   I would think that being here it would be metric.

Are you sure about that Dante or being funny (I hope).  When I have seen these about town (Wat Ket especially)  they always look like centimetres/metre marks, notwithstanding that they may report in other measures elsewhere or in both.

The P1 marker at Nawarat is certainly metric. and reports I have noted over the last ten ears or so (sample below) are using hydrology measures in metrics for Chiang Mai

Historical flood map and flood warning system.  The severe floods usually arrive during August and September. The recent ones (in the past 20 years) occurred in 1994, 1995, 2001, 2005, and 2011 with maximum water levels at the P1 station of 4.43, 4.27, 4.18, 4.93 and 4.94 m, respectively. From an experience in observed flood routing from past flooding events between input flood hydrograph at stream gauge P.67 (Ban Mae Tae, 32 km upstream of P1) and output hydrograph at P1, it was found that if the maximum depth of flood at P.67 equals 4.70 m, the maximum depth of flood at P.1 equals 3.7 m, within about 7-8 hrs later(Chatchawan, 2005). Based on this correlation and observed relationship between flood level at P1 and flood depth measured in the city during flood events, flood warning system for Chiang Mai city was set up in the form of flood hazard maps. Chiang Mai flood maps given by Civil Engineering Natural Disaster Research Unit (CENDRU) Chiang Mai University divides inundation areas into seven zones depending on upstream referenced water level at P1 (Chatchawan, 2005; CENDRU, 2013).
Edited by mamborobert

for your viewing pleasure the most recent  p67 v p1 comparison i have seen and as Gonzo noted went up quite a bit in the first 8 hours today, updated figures and graphics for the Ping are available at the Hydro site.

image.jpeg

Edited by mamborobert

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Those measurements are in Leagues/2000, the common measurement by local hydrologists.

A league is not a vertical measurement, rather a horizontal one.  One league is a unit of distance equal to 3.0 statute miles (4.8 kilometers).

11 hours ago, MrBrad said:

A league is not a vertical measurement, rather a horizontal one.  One league is a unit of distance equal to 3.0 statute miles (4.8 kilometers).

Ok then..., so maybe the Jules Verne novel "20,000 leages under the Sea" ..., was written about a very large organisation of fish playing soccer under the sea? :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by Sandy Freckle

23 hours ago, Thailand said:

Saw they had been releasing water via the PaDaet dam this morning, seemed to be having the desired effect but certainly a lot rain in the past few days starting to test the newer defences.

If the  Padaet Dam wasn't there the excess water would have gone a long time ago wouldnt it ? or is that too simplistic. I dont know. Someone on this forum when it was constructed, suggested that the dam is to keep the water near the city in dry times and boat owners happy.Conspiracy theory? Any water experts on here.

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

If the  Padaet Dam wasn't there the excess water would have gone a long time ago wouldnt it ? or is that too simplistic. I dont know. Someone on this forum when it was constructed, suggested that the dam is to keep the water near the city in dry times and boat owners happy.Conspiracy theory? Any water experts on here.

Correct, the weir controls water level in CM cbd at a near constant level.  

8 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Just as a side issue..., can anyone remember the last time there was flooding inside the moat ?

Last big downpour caused surface flooding.

Problem with old city area is poor drainage and I hope draining of northern moats is an attempt to mitigate real flooding. 

without any researching, this rainy season to E/S    is about the norm, perhaps just up some,  so no need for any  hot wind heads up, at this point of time

from  E/S  residing  here   2001...2005....2011,  was indeed heads up  time,

its a Barry White  good nite to all:)