Samui Immigration New office now open

No first hand accounts yet?

- 90 day?

- Annual extn based on marriage/retirement/child?

- Residency certs for driving licence renewal?

- Fees (inc hidden extras)? Are they prominently displayed?

- The dreaded form?

- Any procedural changes. Is there a numbered queuing system and does it work?

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

No first hand accounts yet?

- 90 day?

- Annual extn based on marriage/retirement/child?

- Residency certs for driving licence renewal?

- Fees (inc hidden extras)? Are they prominently displayed?

- The dreaded form?

- Any procedural changes. Is there a numbered queuing system and does it work?

What happened to your friend who was going to give feedback? 

Did he get lost in all the Boutique Shops? :whistling::lol:

Did not have time to peek in Samui's new boutique arcade, but they help people finde their way up there, as they have made a nice sign by Soi 1 at the Ring Road, saying "Samui Immigration <– 300 m." (afraid only visible when one comes from Bo Phut side)...

w20160921_Samui-Immigration.jpg

Image quickly snapped with mobile from car, while giving way for the white car, sorry for not being sharp, but I cannot stop the traffic while fumbling with getting a phone to focus... :unsure:

Some pics i took yesterday morning.
Quite pleasant experience.
I was in and out in less than one hour to pick up my passport for 1 year extension, reentry permit and 90 days report.
I had give all last week at the old immigration and was told to come back yesterday coz the big chief was not here to sign  the stamps.
All good.
there is a cafe in the courtyard, where you can take a drink while waiting (1 cafe 80 baths)...... But pleasant place.

2016-09-21 08.49.05.jpg

2016-09-21 08.49.10.jpg

2016-09-21 08.49.18.jpg

2016-09-21 08.52.31.jpg

2016-09-21 08.52.34.jpg

2016-09-21 08.52.43.jpg

2016-09-21 08.57.43.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/09/2016 at 8:49 PM, khunPer said:

Did not have time to peek in Samui's new boutique arcade, but they help people finde their way up there, as they have made a nice sign by Soi 1 at the Ring Road, saying "Samui Immigration <– 300 m." (afraid only visible when one comes from Bo Phut side)...

Image quickly snapped with mobile from car, while giving way for the white car, sorry for not being sharp, but I cannot stop the traffic while fumbling with getting a phone to focus... :unsure:

Is it the shortcut road Maenam to Lamai?

3 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Is it the shortcut road Maenam to Lamai?

Yes!

It's actually about the same distance but not so much traffic! ... Well at least  after Immigration that part of the road is probably quite busy these days and the buffalo fighting stadium, when that is on! 

On 21/09/2016 at 8:49 PM, khunPer said:

Thank you Jimmy for the fast reply, I went to Nathon immigration  yesterday so I will have to go to back Meanam this afternoon,.

It seems I reckognise the corner of the road for sometimes I take this shortcut but was not sure 100%. Now  I will find easily! :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Thank you Jimmy for the fast reply, I went to Nathon immigration  yesterday so I will have to go to back Meanam this afternoon,.

It seems I reckognise the corner of the road for sometimes I take this shortcut but was not sure 100%. Now  I will find easily! :thumbsup:

The sign for turning (right, when coming from Maenam Ring Road) into the Immigration Office is hanging quite low now (not high, like in ID10 photo), there's a laundry at the corner you see behind the sign...:smile:

Just so members are aware, the Immigration Police are making rounds, to farang residences to make sure they are properly registered with immigration and not on overstay etc. ..

One of my neighbours was visited yesterday... by two Police,  pictures taken of her the house and passport....  Another Thai neighbour verified they were legit....(she knew them)

Seems to be not doing by any specific hit on areas, as they did not come and see me or other "farang neighbours"... perhaps going down a list (?)

Have read this is going on in CM as well....

The Immigration now also asks for hand-drawn maps besides the mandatory Google-map – a ruler, a pen, and blank A4 paper is handed out to applicants for retirement extension, and then you shall draw a map, that will be discussed until the officer understand it.

Me, I had a discussion about my house having a number, but no "road name", just a lane opposite a soi number, but no number or names for the lanes down the to beach – ended up using my printed Google Earth map to show the opposite soi and number, then the kind enough officer suddenly said »Oh, now I know, I live on that soi myself..!« My fine and "perfectly" hand-drawn map got accepted – perhaps they shall use these extra maps to pay a visit..?

And for all the photos needed (extension; personal minifest about almost everything in one's life; re-entry permit; eventually moving stamps from old to new passport; that's 4 photos, as the signed document with changes/no changes to personal manifest is not accepted without the complete filled out form, which I had in my back-up folder) they also take your photo, before you are handed your passport with your new annual extension...

Very kind (not so stressed) officers, and so much better organized in the fine new Immigration building, than in the old one in Nathon, but it also seem more bureaucratic now – took me four visits over two days to obtain my retirement Visa extension this time, even all documents were impeccable, but perhaps they were just too busy and I also need to have stamps moved to a new passport; so I'm happy they moved the office close to where I live, so I can drink coffee on my own terrace – in a way I miss khun Nok (the so-called Birdman, I presume), he often did it all in some 15 minutes for me, so fast that he always forgot writing a receipt and giving me my 100-baht change (and I never, ever asked for it)...:whistling:

By the way, some questioned if the price-list sign were moved – I did not see it, but on the extension-application form it's now printed "fee 1,900 baht" – however they forgot receipts for any of my fees. Must admit that I didn't ask for it, I just noticed they had a receipt-pad and used it for others; but the officer remembered to give me my change...:thumbsup:

In general a positive experience and kind, smiling staff...:smile:

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

The Immigration now also asks for hand-drawn maps besides the mandatory Google-map – a ruler, a pen, and blank A4 paper is handed out to applicants for retirement extension, and then you shall draw a map, that will be discussed until the officer understand it.

Me, I had a discussion about my house having a number, but no "road name", just a lane opposite a soi number, but no number or names for the lanes down the to beach – ended up using my printed Google Earth map to show the opposite soi and number, then the kind enough officer suddenly said »Oh, now I know, I live on that soi myself..!« My fine and "perfectly" hand-drawn map got accepted – perhaps they shall use these extra maps to pay a visit..?

And for all the photos needed (extension; personal minifest about almost everything in one's life; re-entry permit; eventually moving stamps from old to new passport; that's 4 photos, as the signed document with changes/no changes to personal manifest is not accepted without the complete filled out form, which I had in my back-up folder) they also take your photo, before you are handed your passport with your new annual extension...

Very kind (not so stressed) officers, and so much better organized in the fine new Immigration building, than in the old one in Nathon, but it also seem more bureaucratic now – took me four visits over two days to obtain my retirement Visa extension this time, even all documents were impeccable, but perhaps they were just too busy and I also need to have stamps moved to a new passport; so I'm happy they moved the office close to where I live, so I can drink coffee on my own terrace – in a way I miss khun Nok (the so-called Birdman, I presume), he often did it all in some 15 minutes for me, so fast that he always forgot writing a receipt and giving me my 100-baht change (and I never, ever asked for it)...:whistling:

By the way, some questioned if the price-list sign were moved – I did not see it, but on the extension-application form it's now printed "fee 1,900 baht" – however they forgot receipts for any of my fees. Must admit that I didn't ask for it, I just noticed they had a receipt-pad and used it for others; but the officer remembered to give me my change...:thumbsup:

Actually looking forward to visit at their new premises. I did my employment extension recently still at the old site, and as usual that took a few trips. Quite a hassle when working and living on the other side of the island. Maenam certainly is a lot closer. 

As for extra fees, I was never asked for any in all the years doing my extensions. Heck last time they forgot to charge me, so I asked if they wanted some money. The guy dealing with the money looked confused first, then realized that he forgot, and quickly took my money and gave me the receipt. 

On 10/21/2016 at 9:41 PM, khunPer said:

I'm not entirely sure that I agree, given;

a) Hand drawn maps were superseded by google earth ones FIVE YEARS ago.

b  ) A Linear map was deemed perfectly ok when it came to us finding them on fliers advertising their relocation to Maenam.

"Yer couldn't make it up!" :(

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

I'm not entirely sure that I agree, given;

a) Hand drawn maps were superseded by google earth ones FIVE YEARS ago.

b  ) A Linear map was deemed perfectly ok when it came to us finding them on fliers advertising their relocation to Maenam.

"Yer couldn't make it up!" :(

This year they want linear maps in your extension application.  Anyone who comes in with a google map printout is given a piece of paper and asked to draw a new map.

All that is old is new again.

8 hours ago, Bsd said:

This year they want linear maps in your extension application.  Anyone who comes in with a google map printout is given a piece of paper and asked to draw a new map.

All that is old is new again.

Before the Google-map era, beginning a few years ago, I was never ever asked for a map when renewing my Visa-extension – so linear maps are hot news, at least for me...:crying:

5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Before the Google-map era, beginning a few years ago, I was never ever asked for a map when renewing my Visa-extension – so linear maps are hot news, at least for me...:crying:

In mathematics, a linear map (also called a linear mapping, linear transformation or, in some contexts, linear function) is a mapping V  W between two modules (includingvector spaces) that preserves (in the sense defined below) the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

An important special case is when V = W, in which case the map is called a linear operator,[1] or an endomorphism of V. Sometimes the term linear function has the same meaning as linear map, while in analytic geometry it does not.

A linear map always maps linear subspaces onto linear subspaces (possibly of a lower dimension);[2] for instance it maps a plane through the origin to a plane, straight line orpoint. Linear maps can often be represented as matrices, and simple examples include rotation and reflection linear transformations.

In the language of abstract algebra, a linear map is a module homomorphism. In the language of category theory it is a morphism in the category of modules over a given ring.

Why can't we just call it HAND Drawn map instead of confusing the hell out of me:ph34r:

The phrase was used by me to explain how imm expected us to find their new office.

Hand drawn maps are a step backwards for all less the odd budding Picasso and are frankly obsolete as a result of satellite photos & maps that were fine until this year.

Next year it'll be pension letters in LSD.

£sd - Wikipedia

6 hours ago, Rooo said:

In mathematics, a linear map (also called a linear mapping, linear transformation or, in some contexts, linear function) is a mapping V  W between two modules (includingvector spaces) that preserves (in the sense defined below) the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

An important special case is when V = W, in which case the map is called a linear operator,[1] or an endomorphism of V. Sometimes the term linear function has the same meaning as linear map, while in analytic geometry it does not.

A linear map always maps linear subspaces onto linear subspaces (possibly of a lower dimension);[2] for instance it maps a plane through the origin to a plane, straight line orpoint. Linear maps can often be represented as matrices, and simple examples include rotation and reflection linear transformations.

In the language of abstract algebra, a linear map is a module homomorphism. In the language of category theory it is a morphism in the category of modules over a given ring.

Why can't we just call it HAND Drawn map instead of confusing the hell out of me:ph34r:

Gladly, but I replied to a post calling it "a linear map" – that's why – I first called it a "hand drawn map", but was corrected; if you read the posts above...:whistling:

Edited by khunPer

Random Linear Example:

linedrive.png?w=900

Hand Drawn:

hand-drawn-map21.jpg

I look forward to seeing which one appears on the back of whatever (ie 3rd party data) they thrust in my direction @ my next 90 day report.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

19 hours ago, evadgib said:

Random Linear Example:

linedrive.png?w=900

Hand Drawn:

hand-drawn-map21.jpg

I look forward to seeing which one appears on the back of whatever (ie 3rd party data) they thrust in my direction @ my next 90 day report.

HTH

There might be a reason why the kind Immigrant lady officer handed us a steel metal ruler for the so-called "hand-drawn" or "linear" map – both others and I used the ruler – so can I presume that we can close the discussion by saying, that a "hand drawn linear map" shall be attached to the Visa-extension application..? :smile:

On 18/10/2016 at 1:03 PM, khunPer said:

The sign for turning (right, when coming from Maenam Ring Road) into the Immigration Office is hanging quite low now (not high, like in ID10 photo), there's a laundry at the corner you see behind the sign...:smile:

Thank you for (as usual :smile:) trying to help but I take this shortcut road from Lamai so impossible to miss the immigration office. By the way not sure every one know this shortcut road?

8 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Thank you for (as usual :smile:) trying to help but I take this shortcut road from Lamai so impossible to miss the immigration office. By the way not sure every one know this shortcut road?

Short cut in time, if you ask me, saves getting hocked in Chawang Traffic.... distance more or less the same.

If you reach the ring road at Maenam end, you'll know you've overshot the runway! :tongue: