Leaving my condo for 4 months. Best way to prevent roaches (and other bugs) while I'm gone

ricku

Hey everyone.

I'm about to leave my condo empty and deserted for around 4 months.

I have always had insectophobia, and now I'm thinking about what kind of precautionary measures I should take, in order to prevent cockroaches and / or other bugs of invading my home while I am gone.

So far I've thought about just covering all the drains with duct tape, and emptying two cans of bug spray around all the doors and windows.

Is there is anything else I could do? Please let me know.

Edited by ricku

The aerosol bug sprays chemically breaks down very fast and is pretty much ineffective hours after you spray, especially if exposed to sunlight.

Leave a couple of glue patches, you can get them at Tops Supermarkets at Central.  Also there are stronger pesticides in powder form. Sprinkle a little on a piece of paper and place in the kitchen and toilet. That way when you return, you just pick up the paper and flush it out the toilet.

Cling film the toilet bowl and the top of the toilet cistern. That way when the water evaporates you will still have a barrier.

If you have a connection under your sink you can disconnect it and cling film the open end of the pipe.

For your shower you can get an Oatey gripper mechanical plastic test plug in various diameters  (although I've never seen them in Thailand). They simply screw into the drain and form a seal. Perhaps it's worth ordering one from the States. They are only a few dollars.

Thank you so much for the replies. Some very good info here! I will go with powder traps, glue paper and covering all the drains + toilet.

54 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Cling film the toilet bowl and the top of the toilet cistern. That way when the water evaporates you will still have a barrier.

If you have a connection under your sink you can disconnect it and cling film the open end of the pipe.

For your shower you can get an Oatey gripper mechanical plastic test plug in various diameters  (although I've never seen them in Thailand). They simply screw into the drain and form a seal. Perhaps it's worth ordering one from the States. They are only a few dollars.

For covering the drains and toilet, wouldn't duct tape work as well as plugs? I have two big rolls at home.

9 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Clean thoroughly and spray.  For roaches, leave a few bowls of water on the floor, the roaches will crawl into them and cannot get out. They need water more than food.

The problem with water is that it evaporates pretty quickly in high temperatures. Those bowls of water will be empty after a month or two.

Where you living in a farm?

First it would seem you are a clean person,  roaches etc.. are attracted to crowded environment and area's which are dirty with crumbs. So clean and sweep up before you leave.

From my own personal experience here when leaving my place for months,  Toilet just put the lid down.  Shower drain, put a small waste basket over it, for your sink drain, if you have one of those pop up type, push it down go to a hardware store and get one of those rubber plugs Shut your Bathroom door completely. If your main entry is a sliding door there should be no problem if not go to Homepro etc.. get a door weather strip for the bottom of the door for 100 baht.

The key to them wanting to come in is Light!  

Pyrethrum powder on sills and inside doors, cling wrap over toilet, drain the cistern, cover or plug kitchen sink.....etc.  you get the idea.

Pyrethrum won't stop them getting in, but they'll die after contact.  It has a good life if not in direct sunlight.  Be ready for sweeping up roach corpses on your return.

Is having a trusted house sitter stay for the duration a possibility?  Even better if possible.

If your building has that many problems with roach infestation....you need to move. Gel baits. Have someone come in once a week and set new Gel baits around the condo. These are the only effective ways of killing roach colonies. Any strays that find their way in and attempt to make your condo their new hangout will eat them and bring the poison back to their friends and family, who in absence or any food remnants will eat their dead carcasses poisoning them also. In a few short weeks any colony will be decimated. The KEY is to make sure there is NO OTHER FOOD SOURCE !.

31 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Where you living in a farm?

First it would seem you are a clean person,  roaches etc.. are attracted to crowded environment and area's which are dirty with crumbs. So clean and sweep up before you leave.

From my own personal experience here when leaving my place for months,  Toilet just put the lid down.  Shower drain, put a small waste basket over it, for your sink drain, if you have one of those pop up type, push it down go to a hardware store and get one of those rubber plugs Shut your Bathroom door completely. If your main entry is a sliding door there should be no problem if not go to Homepro etc.. get a door weather strip for the bottom of the door for 100 baht.

The key to them wanting to come in is Light!  

the real problem will be the neighbours who probably arent clean, rice and food  all over the place, its a feast for all insects.

When I left my condo empty for about nine months, I made arrangements for someone to come in once a month to clean.  My concern was not so much the cockroaches, but the spiders which seem to have loved that place.  I told them when I had a definite return date and they cleaned just before I got there.

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

Once the water in your toilets evaporates the door is open and they will crawl in out of the drain... I speak from experience.

You need to get someone to go in a flush them every few weeks.

Fill a round balloon with water and place in toilet, as the water evaporates the balloon will sink with the level of water and 'stop' up the drain. Remove the balloon before you use the toilet again. 

4 hours ago, wpcoe said:

When I left my condo empty for about nine months, I made arrangements for someone to come in once a month to clean.  My concern was not so much the cockroaches, but the spiders which seem to have loved that place.  I told them when I had a definite return date and they cleaned just before I got there.

Spiders are good and kill small insects. Leave spiders and geckos alone.

Buy a bag of sand at your local home supply store or florist.  Fill up several plastic bags about half way.  Seal the top of the bag and place over the drains, especially the floor drains.  They create a nice seal.

Before you place the bags, pour about a cup of bleach into each drain.

Use that cling wrap over the toilet bowl, put a cup of bleach in first and be sure to lower the seat cover. Helps to keep the bigger vermin from crawling out. I had a place in Florida that used to get rats if left untended.  The bleach and cling wrap kept them from crawling up and in.

Edited by dansbkk
mispelling

5 hours ago, kannot said:

the real problem will be the neighbours who probably arent clean, rice and food  all over the place, its a feast for all insects.

Are you living inside or outside? You are worrying about people you have no control over this applies whether you live here or elsewhere. Control what you can control which would be your own house or unit!