New Danger Along Jomtien Beach

rak sa_ngop

I was walking along the Jomtien beach path on Saturday afternoon when a light breeze came up and a coconut fell to the ground a few metres directly ahead of me. The large green coconut split open spraying its milk onto the concrete path, a pretty impressive illustration of what could have happened to my head if I was there a few seconds earlier.

The rest of my walk had me looking up a lot avoiding the large clusters of coconuts.

Be careful where you walk (and park your car)!!

I was walking along the Jomtien beach path on Saturday afternoon when a light breeze came up and a coconut fell to the ground a few metres directly ahead of me. The large green coconut split open spraying its milk onto the concrete path, a pretty impressive illustration of what could have happened to my head if I was there a few seconds earlier.

The rest of my walk had me looking up a lot avoiding the large clusters of coconuts.

All along the East Coast Parkway beach area in Singapore are large signs.

BEWARE OF FALLING COCONUTS

Maybe they could do the same here and combine it with beware of the dog signs that way they could kill two tourists with one hazzard as it were :o

:D I experienced 'falling coconuts' twice, both on Samui.

1st time about 1 meter next to me, sitting on a motobike waiting to cross a street :o

2nd time I came back from an outside toilet walking to the small restaurant when another one fell some 3 to 4 meters from me :D

Hmmmm I look better now.

Many people are killed on yearly basis by falling coconuts all over the world !

LaoPo

I remember an old Indonesian lady who lived on Pulau Karimun, she would lay in the same spot everyday a few feet from her coconut tree. She had it measured so that the coconuts when ripe fell about 3 feet from her, all she had to do was grab her parang roll over and cut the top of the latest offering from her tree, she never got up from that spot. Believe it or not I actually saw her do this day after day. :o

It's a fact. More cats are killed by falling coconuts each year than people killed by sharks.

Google it, if you don't believe me. :o

Hmm...I don't know anything about cats but there are reports about some 150 people/year who died from a falling coconut.

I did 'Google' but there seems to be some controversy here as nobody can actually prove it. On the other hand shark attacks and killings are always big news whilst falling coconuts (hundreds of millions every year) and killing someone are not always mentioned in the -local- press and there is no official research on this 'problem' as well.

The fact that I was an 'almost' victim, twice, proves that there must be more deaths/year than reports say there are.

Just my opninion though.

LaoPo

When I used to live in Bangsaen, I used to go for a run along the beach in the early morning - before 7 a.m.

Two things used to strike me.

Firstly, all the deck chair and refreshment concessionaires were hard at it cleaning up their little plots of beach to ensure they were spotless before the daily visitors arrived; and secondly, the local council sent out workers in lorries to shin up and gather all the ripening coconuts from the trees along the beach, so that they didn't present a danger to passers by.

There were also other council workers busy repairing, cleaning and maintaining the beach and adjacent walkways to a good standard - way, way better than anything that is done in Pattaya or Jomtien.

Of course Bang Saen was run by kamman Po (who is now on the run), and while he was a pretty evil man, he certainly knew how to run a clean, safe & beautiful beach resort. Something that Pattaya city hall would do well to emulate.

But there again - Bang Saen is mainly for Thais - and Pattaya is for farangs - and if a few farangs get their heads split open by falling coconuts, who gives a sh..t? :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Beware also..............................

While your busy looking up for the dodgy coconuts you may slip on some of the soggy dogy stuff and break something other than just your head. :D:o and :D sugar

marshbags :D:D:D

Those Flying Elephants can be as bad as escaped Crocs after a good night out..

Specially after the Sang Som Kicks in.. :D:D

Maybe if the people who feed the stray dogs could leave the food under a coconut tree, then

1) Tourists will be safer as the stray dogs will chase the tourist away

2) When the coconut finally falls, one less stray dog for city hall to eventually feed to the crocodiles and tigers

3) We will hear less about charity work carried out by certain individuals clever enough to train their children to stay away from stray dogs,

:o:D:D

The coconut trees are planted by bangkok pattaya hospital. More people need treatment for split heads than are killed by coconuts.

Coco nuts...

Two missing teeth and 16 stitches to my arm after a coconut hit me in the face whilst driving my motorbike at 60 kms a hour....thank f888k I was wearing a helmet the damage came from being knocked of the bike..

Coco nuts dangerous little buggers ............ :o

Gives me great delight to smash the little buggers and eat them since then.....

There's money to be made out of those Tailors. Start a company importing the comedy electric shock handshake devices we used to have as kids.

"Good morning sir my name is Khalid"............hand goes out, whammo............assorted mirth from all passers bye !!!!

I'm more concerned about being crapped on by a bird in the tree. :o

Your concern is justified.

Did you hear about the pirate who returned from sea and was having a beer in his local pub?

The barman said, "You look terrible what happened?"

"Nothing much", said the pirate.

"What about the wooden leg? You did'nt have that last time" said the barman.

"Oh, that? Hit by a canonball" said the pirate.

"And the hook?" asked the barman.

"Its nothing, lost my hand in a swordfight" said the pirate, "but its Ok, I've got a hook now".

"What about the eye-patch? Did you lose an eye too?"

"Yea, I was on deck one day, I looked up and a bird crapped in my eye".

"You don't lose an eye just from bird crap" said the barman.

"No" said the pirate. "it was the first day I had the hook.

A hazard it might be but I don't see you getting much of a sympathy vote from those sad buggers looking out of their office windows across the rain drenched slate roof s of Wigan or Skegness.

Nor the ones looking out of their office windows in sunny phuket! :o

I'm more concerned about being crapped on by a bird in the tree. :D

Your concern is justified.

Did you hear about the pirate who returned from sea and was having a beer in his local pub?

The barman said, "You look terrible what happened?"

"Nothing much", said the pirate.

"What about the wooden leg? You did'nt have that last time" said the barman.

"Oh, that? Hit by a canonball" said the pirate.

"And the hook?" asked the barman.

"Its nothing, lost my hand in a swordfight" said the pirate, "but its Ok, I've got a hook now".

"What about the eye-patch? Did you lose an eye too?"

"Yea, I was on deck one day, I looked up and a bird crapped in my eye".

"You don't lose an eye just from bird crap" said the barman.

"No" said the pirate. "it was the first day I had the hook.

oldie but a goodie, next time in the jokes section, but not that one :D:o:D

How high up the tree was the nut befor it fell?I have a heck of a time trying to crack one open if the husk is still on it.The wife just takes a machete and WACK it is open.But to just crack open with a husk on it sounds very strange.If it hit you in the head though that is another matter.I would think you would not hear the crack but you would wake up in a bright room and say where am I? The doc would say "why you talk bad to girl?" She say you must give her money now for you bad man.We call police later,maybe.

Thanks for the info about falling coco nuts. I will bring a helmet with when I go there next week. :D:o

You'll need more than a helmet mate. Imagine a 4 kilo weight dropped from the height of a 4 storey building. Might end up with more than a ding and a slightly sore head!!!!