Marine Dept. asks for rehabilitation plan for Ayutthaya boat accident victims

webfact

Marine Department asks for rehabilitation plan for boat accident victims

bb.jpg

BANGKOK, 20 September 2016 (NNT) - The Marine Department has been asked to provide details of the rehabilitation plan for victims of the Ayutthaya boat accident. 

Member of the National Reform Steering Assembly Nikorn Chamnong, who is also the chairman of the Thailand Safety Club, has submitted a letter to the Marine Department, asking for details of their planned action to help survivors and the families of those who died in the Sunday boat accident in Ayutthaya. 

Eighteen people are now confirmed dead after the passenger boat sank while returning to Nonthaburi Province. 

Initial findings suggest that the accident might have been caused by the skipper’s lack of skill and the fact that the boat was carrying between 150 and 200 passengers when its legal capacity was only 50. As well, the number of life vests available that was fewer than the number of passengers. 

The strong current was also blamed for the accident and the loss of life of some of the people on board the stricken boat. 

Mr. Nikorn asked how the operator of the boat plans to help victims of the accident and how the Marine Department plans to step in to help. He also asked what preventive measures it will add to avoid a repeat of such a tragedy.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-20

"Initial findings suggest that the accident might have been caused by the skipper’s lack of skill and the fact that the boat was carrying between 150 and 200 passengers when its legal capacity was only 50. As well, the number of life vests available that was fewer than the number of passengers. "

Really??? Who would have thought that could ever occur with the high standards of competency and safety throughout the transportation industries here?

When I get on such a boat, I notice that most people will sit in the first available seat. As for me, I search out the seat that will give me the best chance of abandoning the boat in case of an emergency. It also helps to be able to swim.