Traffic coming from the left into a main road

poppysdad

Perhaps someone out there can solve an argument for me, a recent discussion on motorbikes in particular but often cars and even trucks simply driving out from minor roads from the left onto busier roads without any caution whatsoever, a good friend who knows everything said that it's part of the traffic laws here that they do have priority over the major road which I think is nonsense. 

Anyway I've scoured google for the answers on Thai traffic rules and laws and the nearest I can find to this is when roads or lanes merge then traffic in the left hand lane has priority but nothing at all saying traffic coming out of a road junction from the left has priority. It would be nice and indeed beneficial to know the answer to this in case of being involved in an accident caused from that situation and yes I do know that most motorcyclists will do whatever they want to do anyway. Thanks in anticipation.

I would think it would depend on road markings. Often ignored I know, but if a minor road joining a larger road has 'give way' markings then these should be observed. But Thai road sign rules are often interpreted incorrectly.  If at all. This is why I have a dash cam. Personally I would disagree about traffic merging from the left having priority. If this is so, why are there road markings indicating the opposite when joining an expressway, for example.

Many threads on driving behaviour l would say your good friend who knows everything is wrong.

It is a very common driving habit though as well as cutting corners making right turns.

In the case of an accident if you are deemed to be on the major road and other road users hit you coming out from left or right of a minor road they will usually be at fault.

It is always best to be prepared to ease up or stop IMHO and be very cautions always drive defensively.

A few rules in Thailand are different from most other countries, these being;

- on a junction where two vehicles meet at the same time and there is no principle roadway, the one from the left has right of way, unless the one from the left wants to turn and the one from the right wants to go straight. 

- when on a principle road and you want to turn left into a side road, if there is traffic coming from the opposite direction that wants to turn right into the same road, that other vehicle has right of way. 

- if you are on the main road and want to turn right into a side road, and another vehicle comes out of that side road to turn right onto the main road, that other vehicle has right of way.  

17 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

A few rules in Thailand are different from most other countries, these being

well then no wonder the death toll is so high.... my head is spinning round and round trying to understand those "different" rules :wacko:   

haha new emicon  quite fitting :stoner:

6 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

- on a junction where two vehicles meet at the same time and there is no principle roadway, the one from the left has right of way, unless the one from the left wants to turn and the one from the right wants to go straight. 

- when on a principle road and you want to turn left into a side road, if there is traffic coming from the opposite direction that wants to turn right into the same road, that other vehicle has right of way. 

- if you are on the main road and want to turn right into a side road, and another vehicle comes out of that side road to turn right onto the main road, that other vehicle has right of way.  

Do you have any reference you can provide to those "rules"?

Not disputing what you say but like the OP I have often seen drivers merging from the left as if they have the right in spite of any road markings but guess it is just an extension of the first "rule" you mention. 

It is all really very simple:

If they don't look,

they don't see.

if they don't see you,

you are not there.

I've survived driving various countries (Thailand/Malaysia/Philoland), over the last 34 years, 

and that same applied everywhere.

Police cars have done the same thing to me, and it was actually one of those times, I had my closest shave

1 hour ago, topt said:

Do you have any reference you can provide to those "rules"?

Not disputing what you say but like the OP I have often seen drivers merging from the left as if they have the right in spite of any road markings but guess it is just an extension of the first "rule" you mention. 

In the OP's case the vehicle coming from a minor road always has to give way to traffic going straight on the main road. It's just that a lot of motosai drivers think they can just turn left onto the main road when they stay on the left side as there is space enough. That works until a big truck or trailer is on the main road side swiping them. 

As as for the other rules. Here is a little video showing them. 

7 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

In the OP's case the vehicle coming from a minor road always has to give way to traffic going straight on the main road. It's just that a lot of motosai drivers think they can just turn left onto the main road when they stay on the left side as there is space enough. That works until a big truck or trailer is on the main road side swiping them. 

Thanks

15 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Yes, these are the rules and probably why there are so many horrendous head-on and t-bone wrecks in LOS.

15 hours ago, johng said:

well then no wonder the death toll is so high.... my head is spinning round and round trying to understand those "different" rules :wacko:   

haha new emicon  quite fitting :stoner:

If these appear confusing for those with driver education from the west, just remember that no moving, faster or larger vehicle has any sort of precedent here.... unless it's the biggest, fastest moving one at the time of the accident/point of impact.

Edited by NanLaew

9 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

@Gulfsailor Thanks for that video   now I know why they can't use roundabouts, because  roundabout rules are totally  ass backwards to what the "special rules" say  ( think of the 4 way junction with a circle in the midle )

18 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Don't forget the rule that at a roundabout traffic on the circle has right of way. Very confusing to many.

10 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

In the video no examples of your last rule " if you are on the main road and want to turn right into a side road, and another vehicle comes out of that side road to turn right onto the main road, that other vehicle has right of way.   "

I have never heard of that one, do you know of any video or something proving this? I know the other ones you mention to be correct, but doubt this one.

15 minutes ago, johng said:

@Gulfsailor Thanks for that video   now I know why they can't use roundabouts, because  roundabout rules are totally  ass backwards to what the "special rules" say  ( think of the 4 way junction with a circle in the midle )

I understand why you think that. However, you shouldn't see a roundabout as a junction, but as a one-way main road that is curved. The side roads leading into the roundabout are considered the minor roads. So once you are on the roundabout = main road, you have right of way over all others.

In all countries where they drive on the right and take the roundabout counter clockwise, the people on the roundabout also have right of way when there are no specific markings. (This could be interpreted as left has right of way). It's not a problem for drivers in those countries, so it shouldn't be for the Thais either. I thinks they are just unfamiliar with the concept and it'll take a few years to get used to the idea of a roundabout. 

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

I was told a few years ago that one of the things taught was to turn slowly left onto the main road and drive slowly at first to allow main road traffic to pass you. Main road traffic should be able to pass you quickly.

No mention was made of right of way etc.

Surely you know that is wrong but it is something many Thai road users do if the main road is wide enough to be able to do it but yet again in some road driving maneuvers the main road isn't wide enough.

Secondly it mostly depends where any of the right of way road rules are got from,  you will often hear the one that has right of way is the one that that gets in front of you. :lol:

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

I was told a few years ago that one of the things taught was to turn slowly left onto the main road and drive slowly at first to allow main road traffic to pass you. Main road traffic should be able to pass you quickly.

No mention was made of right of way etc.

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Surely you know that is wrong but it is something many Thai road users do if the main road is wide enough to be able to do it but yet again in some road driving maneuvers the main road isn't wide enough.

Secondly it mostly depends where any of the right of way road rules are got from,  you will often hear the one that has right of way is the one that that gets in front of you. :lol:

What is wrong is the the assumption of what is right or wrong based on our own non-Thai drivers education and experience driving in our homelands.

Just as it seems 'wrong' to allow slower, merging traffic the right of way regardless of what is on the principle road or allow traffic wishing to exit the principle road to cross in front of you, it appears totally 'wrong' to slowly merge into traffic once you have joined the principle road. The logic (and law) outside LOS is always give way to faster traffic already on the principle road and to accelerate up to speed quickly once on the principle road.

"Give way" and "Right of way" are thus totally alien concepts in Thailand... as Kwasaki has pointed out, most Thai drivers only need to be seen to be in front of everyone to be happy and the Thai driving rules are handily written to support that assertion.

On 9/21/2016 at 2:11 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Every road situation here needs a re think, play the cards in your hand to suit it, seems the safest way here. Still cant get through to Thais that Green means Go if its safe to do so, not just  Its "Green So Gun It Quick".

........and it also hasn't got through that red means stop.

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM, Gulfsailor said:

I'm always amused when the motocy (or car) actually stops, looks, sees there's a car approaching, and then pulls out in front of it!

On September 20, 2016 at 10:34 PM, tifino said:

If they don't look,

they don't see.

if they don't see you,

you are not there.

Thank you 3 times. After 30 years of motoring in Thailand, it is now clear to me.

:rolleyes:

On 9/20/2016 at 3:05 PM, Kwasaki said:

Many threads on driving behaviour l would say your good friend who knows everything is wrong.

It is a very common driving habit though as well as cutting corners making right turns.

In the case of an accident if you are deemed to be on the major road and other road users hit you coming out from left or right of a minor road they will usually be at fault.

It is always best to be prepared to ease up or stop IMHO and be very cautions always drive defensively.

Only yesterday I almost had a bike into the front of the car doing exactly that, turning right and cutting the corner.

No helmet, flip flops, fat and from UK. Looked at me as though it was my fault. 

31 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Only yesterday I almost had a bike into the front of the car doing exactly that, turning right and cutting the corner.

No helmet, flip flops, fat and from UK. Looked at me as though it was my fault. 

He was in Thai mode of coarse it was your fault. :laugh: