AYUTTHAYA BOAT ACCIDENT: Grief-stricken Muslims consider alternative transport

webfact

BOAT ACCIDENT

Grief-stricken Muslims consider alternative transport

Thanapat Thongpaiwan
The Nation 

AYUTTHAYA: -- FOR NEARLY a century, Muslims in Ayutthaya province have headed to an annual merit-making festival at the Takia Yokin Mosque by boat, but the recent fatal accident, which caused 28 deaths, may change all that.

"Most villagers now say they |want to travel by car or bus in-|stead," Jakkrit Senkhao, imam of A-Lee Yinnuroy mosque, said yesterday. 

On Sunday, nearly 100 people living near his mosque joined a boat trip to the festival, but many of them did not return alive.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Grief-stricken-Muslims-consider-alternative-transp-30295887.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-22

Yes, they should consider taking a double-decker bus.  No wait, they tend to crash too often.

How about the train!  No, too many derailments.

I know, they can take mini vans!  Wait, they have a habit of ending up in heaps of rubble too.

Maybe songtaews.  They've proven you can fit 40 or more inside each one.  But, their track records are too goo either.

Hey, I know, they can take motorcycles.  It's easy to get an entire family on one motorcycle and they use very little gas.  That's it, motorcycles it is! ! !  Now just have to find out where to get a half dozen helmets since there are only a couple hundred people traveling on the motorcycles.

That's the beauty of living here, so many transportation choices available for travellers and tourists alike.  

Travelling by the water ways in the countryside has been happen for years. What is important and what can be learned from this sad incident is to ensure the skippers and the boats are competent and operating within its limits at all times. RIP

33 minutes ago, aussiandrew said:

Travelling by the water ways in the countryside has been happen for years. What is important and what can be learned from this sad incident is to ensure the skippers and the boats are competent and operating within its limits at all times. RIP

What can a captain do if there are big obstacles underwater?

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

That will be his excuse, no need to prompt him although it is possible he knew of the obstacle having traveled there many times but with being overloaded and fighting a strong current he couldn't control the boat, someone else must be to blame.

12 minutes ago, Thian said:

The particular underwater object was a mere 5 metres or so, away from the concrete steps and embanment of the wat. Had  the captain been comptent, bearing in mind the  flow speed of the river  and the speed of the vessel, he would never have been so close to shore.

Hundreds of tugs, barges and other vessels transit that stretch of river every week and a licensed and competent captain would be aware of all obstructions, shoals and shallows.  He was overtaking a slower, smaller vessel at the time and was unable to control his vessel. 

The master of a small tug towing 3 rice barges has only his assistant and the barges to worry about, a captain of a vessel with 150 human beings on board has a far heavier burden of responsibility.

Costa Concordia ring a bell?

edit to add, if you were being sarcastic, well done.!

Edited by ratcatcher

1 hour ago, aussiandrew said:

You are either extremely optimistic or haven't been in Thailand very long if you think any of those things will happen or if any damn thing will change at all. Guarantee there are overloaded boats today travelling the same route with the same incompetent skippers in unsuitable vessels with inadequate safety measures and equipment. 

4 hours ago, aussiandrew said:

Good idea but a non starter. Costs money and would have a life span of about a week before the old ways would creep back in. Thai's have a problem thinking into the future and soon forget about the past. 

22 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

Read the navigational charts?  Oh, sorry, first-world stuff.  

That's OK for obstacles that have been there a long time but the odd car or boat will not be on the chats, but I think the issue here was the speed the boat was travelling and the boat skipper lost control.  

12 minutes ago, Basil B said:

That's OK for obstacles that have been there a long time but the odd car or boat will not be on the chats, but I think the issue here was the speed the boat was travelling and the boat skipper lost control.  

Indeed that obstacle was a man-made underwater pillar that had been built in that place (part of the embankment installation).   I think it would have been on any navigational charts.

I would add to your "speed + loss of control",  the lack of knowledge of the river, passing/undertaking in a questionable location, and a boat seriously overloaded.    One of the accounts related that as soon as the boat hit the underwater obstruction, many passengers rushed to one side, causing the boat to destabilize, adding panic and probably additional fatal factors to the mayhem.  This latter event would be seriously exacerbated by an overloaded boat (originally licensed for 50, now carrying almost 200 according to one account).  

Edited by Fookhaht

20 hours ago, kannot said:

makes sure the boat only has 50 not 150 people  on board??

That would be a start but still not a solution..i guess there really was a pillar underwater but i'm not sure. I 've seen how they build piers here and it's incredible they even still stand. If they make a wrong pillar, or there's a very old one , i bet they just say Mai ben lai and continue building. They won't take it out, even at a brand new pier.

The only way to stop all this stupidity is very hard punishments and making them loose face as much as possible. They don't take any responsability, even not at the overloaded passengerboats at the chao praya. Also the government doesn't do anything to stop it.

We can also blame them...