Emergency Passport situation at Friendship Bridge (Lao)

hi.

I will be as brief as possible:

i did a Visa Run to Laos. (tourist visa,, i have been doing this for several years).

I was stamped out of Thailand, but Laos refused my entry. (saying my passport was torn a bit and worn down too much).

i begged and pleaded - no luck.

i went back to thailand, who said they cant let me back into thailand unless I had the Laos stamp.

and I dont know why,, BUT thailand went and stamped my passport with something in Thai and gave me a letter written mostly in thai.

Passport stamp and Letter are both attached to this message.

Thai immigration said I am not allowed to enter thailand... and they basically forced me to beg to the Lao immigration.

they said that if Lao immigration refused me,, then I would end up in jail.

fortunately (after an hour or begging and crying) they let me in to Lao (with the regular 1 month visa).

they told me i should fly out of Lao tomorrow.. (despite there being a month on my passport).

they also suggested I get an Emergency passport.

Here are my questions:

- Can i bring the UK Emergency Passport (Emergency Travel Document) to the thai embassy to apple for a tourist visa ?

- after getting a visa (or not getting a visa), can i fly from Vientiane to Bangkok on my Emergency passport ? or does the attached photos say otherwise ?

- if I cant get back into bangkok, how will I get all my things and be with my son ?  (PS:  son is from my foreign ex girlfriend who also lives in Thailand).

- Basically: will I be able to get back to Bangkok in the next week? and what are the odds in the thai embassy at vientiane giving me a tourist visa ?

- What does the handwriting say (on the attached letter) ?

- and what does the Passport Stamp say ?

- can I stay in vientiene for a few days, rather than the ONE DAY that immigration told me?  (coz the visa is stamped with 30 days). or do you think there is a NOTE on their computer which may lead to my arrest if I am longer than a day in vientiane?

really, much appreciated.

20160923_001828.jpg

20160923_001750.jpg

Edited by easybullet3
  • Like 1

How utterly dreadful for you. I am sure more knowledgeable members will be along but the stamps are the basis of refusal to entry to Thailand. Often they use the financial criteria for such denial. As to the other points wait for UbonJoe. But don't panic at least you are admitted into Laos and I suspect that your 30 days are good as the Laos stamp looks absolutely fine. Good luck to you. Was this entry at Nong Khai?

That is the standard form they do for denial of entry. You were denied entry for not having a valid passport under section 12 (1) of the immigration act.

1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport ; or having a
genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai
Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries ; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , excepting if a visa
is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.
Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial
Regulations.

You could get a tourist visa with a emergency travel document (aka emergency passport) from the UK embassy.

You can re-enter the country by land or air if you get the emergency travel document.

• Until one side formerly denied you entry you'd probably have been stuck in no mans land. The formal denial by Thailand effectively forced Laos to let you in.
  • Laos have given you permission to stay until October 21st so you are legal and entitled to stay until then.
  • You have not been banned/blacklisted from Thailand.
  • Once you are back in Thailand you can apply for new passport at the passport office in Sukhumvit, Soi 13.
Edited by elviajero

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I would go to Savanakhet, apply for a Thai visa there .

Cross that border and then apply for a new passport from Bangkok

Why go to Savannakhet?

Without a new passport or emergency travel document he would likely be denied entry again as soon as they see the denial of entry stamp.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why go to Savannakhet?

Without a new passport or emergency travel document he would likely be denied entry again as soon as they see the denial of entry stamp.

As far as Im aware, he only got denied entry into Thailand because he didnt have a Laos Exit stamp .

And it was the Laos side that made a fuss about his PP and they told him to get an emergency travel documents .

If he gets stamped out of Laos properly this time and explains to the Thai side about why he got refused entry last time , they may let him in again .

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

As far as Im aware, he only got denied entry into Thailand because he didnt have a Laos Exit stamp .

And it was the Laos side that made a fuss about his PP and they told him to get an emergency travel documents .

If he gets stamped out of Laos properly this time and explains to the Thai side about why he got refused entry last time , they may let him in again .

I assume you failed to read my earlier post. He was denied entry for not having a valid passport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although the OP mentions not having a Laos exit stamp was the reason given he was formally denied entry for having an invalid passport. He has zero chance of getting back in with that denial stamp in his passport. He needs to get a ETD or new passport and then he should have no problem getting back in to Thailand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you failed to read my earlier post. He was denied entry for an invalid passport.

I did read that, but that was from a standard letter .

His PP was valid, otherwise they wouldnt have let him leave Thailand just previously .

His PP was valid  , but maybe it was invalid to travel into Thailand because of no Laos exit stamp .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I did read that, but that was from a standard letter .

His PP was valid, otherwise they wouldnt have let him leave Thailand just previously .

His PP was valid  , but maybe it was invalid to travel into Thailand because of no Laos exit stamp .

Immigration on entry to the country will only see the denial of entry stamp in his passport that shows (1) under section 12 was the reason for the denial of entry. 

The would not know about the problem of not having a Lao entry stamp.

• Like 1

Something that seems not to be mentioned is that once the OP applies for an Emergency Travel Document, then his original passport will be cancelled, meaning that his entry stamp in to Laos is cancelled by virtue.

So the OP would need to then got to the Lao immigration and get an exit visa.

Below from the UK Embassy Laos website.

'After receiving an ETD, you will need to apply for an exit visa from the Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs before leaving Laos. This can take up to 3 working days'

Also, OP needs to prepare a detailed travel itinerary prior to applying for the ETD, as per advise on the UK ETD website, plus make an appointment to apply via the website.

https://www.consular-appointments.service.gov.uk/fco/#!/british-embassy-vientiane/issuing-an-emergency-travel-document/slot_picker

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Something that seems not to be mentioned is that once the OP applies for an Emergency Travel Document, then his original passport will be cancelled, meaning that his entry stamp in to Laos is cancelled by virtue.

Below from the UK Embassy Laos website.

'After receiving an ETD, you will need to apply for an exit visa from the Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs before leaving Laos. This can take up to 3 working days'

Also, OP needs to prepare a detailed travel itinerary prior to applying for the ETD, as per advise on the UK ETD website, plus make an appointment to apply via the website.

https://www.consular-appointments.service.gov.uk/fco/#!/british-embassy-vientiane/issuing-an-emergency-travel-document/slot_picker

I think the exit visa might only be needed if the passport was lost. He will still have his old passport to show on departure from Laos.

If you had posted a link to the info you posted it would of been helpful.

When you get a new passport (in Thailand), you will need to transfer your (current) visa stamp over from the ETD to the new passport. As the passport is not issued by the British Embassy directly, you may need to go to the Embassy in BKK to get a letter for you to take to Immigration requesting the transfer (you may be able to get the transfer without the request, so check first).

6 minutes ago, roath said:

When you get a new passport (in Thailand), you will need to transfer your (current) visa stamp over from the ETD to the new passport. As the passport is not issued by the British Embassy directly, you may need to go to the Embassy in BKK to get a letter for you to take to Immigration requesting the transfer (you may be able to get the transfer without the request, so check first).

There is no need to have a tourist entry stamp transferred to the new passport. He can just show the ETD and new passport on exit and the IO will deal with it then.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

11 hours ago, wilkie111 said:

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

Thank you everyone for all of your input. (really, it feels so reassuring when experienced people share their knowledge).

from all of your comments I 'think' i have worked out the plan:

- I applied for the ETD at the UK Embassy this morning. Unfortunately they cant process it till Monday, (something to do with 'verifying' my residency in Bangkok). Lucky i had a copy of my Condo contract on my phone and a few random photos of my son playing football with a Bangkok Post football kit. but they still need to verify it with London which opens after the Lao Embassy has closed today. (hence i come back to the embassy on Monday) .. but it 'seems' to be in the works.  

(by the way, the staff at the UK embassy in Lao are LOVELY. so helpful and nice).

- After i receive the EDT, I will go to the Thai Embassy (in Vientiane) and try applying for a 60 days Tourist Visa.

- Go to Thailand.

- Apply for Passport at UK Embassy Bangkok.

- Transfer visa from ETD to the new Passport.

A few remaining questions:

-  I'm not sure whether to attempt a land crossing with the new ETD at the border i was banned from, or if I should fly to Bangkok from Vientiane airport.

Flying seems safer. but the land crossing is much cheaper. (the staff that banned me in Thailand were actually nice to me while they were banning me). i wonder if they will just be happy that I have sorted out the Lao situation and have a new travel document with exit stamps from Lao.

i am just hoping that this Ban was for my damaged passport only, (and not for an eternity!)

- Do you think the Thai embassy in Lao (tourist visa) and also the Thai immigration (on entering Thailand) will want to see my previous banned passport? should I say I don't have it? or would they then need Police reports that it was lost?

(you think it would be a good idea to get a Lao police report to say i lost my banned passport). then it covers me. and perhaps they dont realize it has a banned stamp in there.

- Transferring the visas in Bangkok (from ETD to Passport), i assume this is at the Chang Wattana, Laksi big building ? is it a free thing? or a 1,900 thing ?

For your info:

it was Lao that Didn't allow me in (at the beginning) due to my damaged passport.

Bangkok said they CANT allow me into Thailand without a Lao exit stamp.

so they stamped my passport with the Ban, to hopefully force Lao to let me in. 

if Lao hadn't have let me in, they said i would end up in the "monkey house" in Bangkok. (jail).

i'm so happy that Lao let me in!!

on a side note: the Thai immigration who banned me said that if it was earlier in the day they could have helped me more.

i don't know what they mean by this.

I assume they would have asked Lao to give me an entry and exit in one hit, so then Thailand would have allowed me to legally re-enter Thailand.

For anyone interested. Here is a quick Video of my Damaged Passport:

click the MP4 link below

My Damaged Passport.mp4

PS: in the above video, I quickly go over my photo page.  this is to avoid my details being shown online. (no other reason).

Edited by easybullet3
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, easybullet3 said:

- After i receive the EDT, I will go to the Thai Embassy (in Vientiane) and try applying for a 60 days Tourist Visa.

- Go to Thailand.

- Apply for Passport at UK Embassy Bangkok.

- Transfer visa from ETD to the new Passport.

A few remaining questions:

-  I'm not sure whether to attempt a land crossing with the new ETD at the border i was banned from, or if I should fly to Bangkok from Vientiane airport.

Flying seems safer. but the land crossing is much cheaper. (the staff that banned me in Thailand were actually nice to me while they were banning me). i wonder if they will just be happy that I have sorted out the Lao situation and have a new travel document with exit stamps from Lao.

i am just hoping that this Ban was for my damaged passport only, (and not for an eternity!)

- Do you think the Thai embassy in Lao (tourist visa) and also the Thai immigration (on entering Thailand) will want to see my previous banned passport? should I say I don't have it? or would they then need Police reports that it was lost?

(you think it would be a good idea to get a Lao police report to say i lost my banned passport). then it covers me. and perhaps they dont realize it has a banned stamp in there.

- Transferring the visas in Bangkok (from ETD to Passport), i assume this is at the Chang Wattana, Laksi big building ? is it a free thing? or a 1,900 thing ?

• You don't apply for a new passport at the Embassy. You need to book an appointment and apply at the passport office in Sukhumvit, Soi 13. See here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult
  • As long as you have the ETD and a visa you should have no problem entering by land.
  • You haven't been banned. You were denied entry because of the damaged/invalid passport so as long as you enter with a valid passport/travel document they have no reason to deny entry.
  • Neither the Embassy or border immigration will want to see your old passport.
  • Transferring stamps is free and done a CW, but you don't need to do it. When you exit take the ETD and new passport and the IO at the border will deal with it.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Looking at the video, its seems like your passport was full up .

Its usually required for there to be at least three empty pages .

Is that the reason why Laos wouldnt let you in ?

Your PP was full ?

Maybe its hard to see from my video, but i had THREE blank pages at the time of being rejected from Lao.

But the Thai Banned-Stamp and Lao's entry stamp has now taken up one of those pages.

I definitely was not refused because of a lack of pages.. 

2 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • You don't apply for a new passport at the Embassy. You need to book an appointment and apply at the passport office in Sukhumvit, Soi 13. See here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult
  • As long as you have the ETD and a visa you should have no problem entering by land.
  • You haven't been banned. You were denied entry because of the damaged/invalid passport so as long as you enter with a valid passport/travel document they have no reason to deny entry.
  • Neither the Embassy or border immigration will want to see your old passport.
  • Transferring stamps is free and done a CW, but you don't need to do it. When you exit take the ETD and new passport and the IO at the border will deal with it.

if I leave Thailand by LAND on my next visa-run, will the land-border also transfer the visa "Without being Moody at me" for not doing it at immigration?

i had them transfer a visa to a new passport at the airport many years ago.

its so annoying how they take up a WHOLE page of your passport just to transfer the passport number and visa.

the uk passport costs almost double the amount of other countries and has LESS pages within it.

to be honest, the UK Passport pages are an expensive commodity.. Lol

and yes,, i mean Soi 13 (not british embassy) for the new passport.

oh!

do you know if Chang Wattana will do the 30 days extension in an ETD ?

it would also save half a page in my new passport when it arrives.

• They won't have a problem doing the transfer at the border.
  • You will get 60 days when you enter with the SETV which is more than long enough to get the new passport. As soon as the passport is issued the ETD will voided.
  • You should book your passport appointment asap because there can be a waiting time.

I did count the pages as you were turning them in the video , You can also see page 19 clearly written on one of the pages . I also counted the pages as you turned then over from page 19  and the last page, which I counted as being page 32, the last page in a UK standard PP had a visa in the page .

Your Pssport was full up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evilbaz said:

How did your pass[port get so torn?

my own fault.

a lack of respect for it. brutal handling. (ie: shoving it in and out of bags without checking it is creasing pages).

after a while it gets shabby.

i had far worse passports in the past, and none of which were ever stopped for being tatty.

anyway. had I taken better care of it, i would not be in this position.

On 9/23/2016 at 7:21 AM, ubonjoe said:

You were denied entry for not having a valid passport under section 12 (1) of the immigration act.

You can re-enter the country by land or air if you get the emergency travel document.

On 9/23/2016 at 7:29 AM, elviajero said:
  • You have not been banned/blacklisted from Thailand.
  • Once you are back in Thailand you can apply for new passport at the passport office in Sukhumvit, Soi 13.

On 9/23/2016 at 9:41 AM, wilkie111 said:
go to the uk embassy and apply for you new passport.Once you get new passport 2-6 weeks take it to immigration with your emergency travel documents with visa and get your extension in your new passport will not be cheap but fool proof.

On 9/23/2016 at 1:25 PM, Mattd said:

On 9/23/2016 at 4:14 PM, roath said:

When you get a new passport (in Thailand), you will need to transfer your (current) visa stamp over from the ETD to the new passport. 

UPDATE  + One Question:

I got the Emergency Passport in Vientiane.

But the Thai Embassy in Vientiane said that can only give me a TRANSIT VISA (30 days).

i will FLY to Bangkok upon receiving this Transit Visa.

here is my question:

Can I get any kind of EXTENSION on the Transit Visa at Chang Watana immigration in Bangkok ?

if so, this may give me enough time to receive the UK Passport.

Technically speaking: i will enter and get 30 days.

i will apply passport immediately.

I remember (from past new passports in Bkk) I used to just photocopy all the pages of the Passport and send it by DHL to the UK.

does this new "Trendy Office" in Sukhumvit allow the same thing ?  (ie: me getting to keep the Emergency passport on my possession without the corner being cut-off ?

if there is any way I can manage this, then I assume I can go to Chang Wattana before 30 days has expired and get an extension.

how correct or incorrect am i ?

would I perhaps be able to do a back-to-back visa trip in the minivan to Poipet (as an alternative).

I'm trying to ''buy time' to avoid a large overstay fine.

Thanks again.

I recently applied for a new UK PP at Trendy house and it took three weeks to get here (Fromm application date)

Your old PP is only made usable (corner cut off) when you receive the new PP .

Make sure that you take some documents with your current address on it, a Condo lease document isnt always acceptable .

Try to get a current Bank statement, ask for it to be in English, which will save you having to get the document translated 

9 minutes ago, easybullet3 said:

UPDATE  + One Question:

I got the Emergency Passport in Vientiane.

But the Thai Embassy in Vientiane said that can only give me a TRANSIT VISA (30 days).

i will FLY to Bangkok upon receiving this Transit Visa.

here is my question:

Can I get any kind of EXTENSION on the Transit Visa at Chang Watana immigration in Bangkok ?

if so, this may give me enough time to receive the UK Passport.

Technically speaking: i will enter and get 30 days.

i will apply passport immediately.

I remember (from past new passports in Bkk) I used to just photocopy all the pages of the Passport and send it by DHL to the UK.

does this new "Trendy Office" in Sukhumvit allow the same thing ?  (ie: me getting to keep the Emergency passport on my possession without the corner being cut-off ?

if there is any way I can manage this, then I assume I can go to Chang Wattana before 30 days has expired and get an extension.

how correct or incorrect am i ?

would I perhaps be able to do a back-to-back visa trip in the minivan to Poipet (as an alternative).

I'm trying to ''buy time' to avoid a large overstay fine.

Thanks again.

The only extension you can get for an entry from a transit visa is 7 days to leave the country.

You can only apply for the passport at Trendy. There is no mail in option. Info for doing the application is here.  https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Most recent reports indicate that it takes from 2 to 3 weeks to get the passport.

You will be able to use your emergency passport for immigration purposes but you can not travel out side the country with it after you apply for the new one.