Recent accident with a Motorcycle

boykieboy

14 hours ago, dotpoom said:

That is good advice but many people only have the "Government Ins." on their motorbikes and not private insurance. To the best of my knowledge that will only cover injuries to oneself....the other two's insurance should cover them .....then again it could be the other way round.

Ok, who else spat their beer out at *the other twos insurance*.....?

21 hours ago, sandemara said:

If you have not commmited an offence or breached any traffic regulation/rule while you are a driver involved in an accident you have no legal or moral obligation to pay any compensation whatsoever.  No Thai court (or police) can compel you to pay any compensation under such circumstances. This, of course, might not stop police attending from asking you to do so.  That is just a cultural obligation they're acting on. However, you cannot be forced to pay.  I strongly suggest you do not entrust  your dealings with police to "a Thai-speaking friend", who can often be intimidated by police or cultural obligations unknown to you to let a "rich" farang finance the other driver's medical and repair costs despite their ignorance of traffic laws and stupidity, simply because they are in dreadful circumstances of poverty in comparison to you. Find a lawyer you can trust to represent you and/or accompany you instead.

And how long have you practiced law in Thailand, settling  traffic cases?

Thai police can and do detain foreign nationals and they do not inform the foreigner's embassy as they are legally obliged to do.

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Basically you stuck to your guns,  :thumbsup:  many here only listen to misinformation and get easily intimidated.

You have admit that some circumstances say if you were unconscious it could get difficult,  so as above cams for bike and cars seem to be the thing to have here.

I think most important was having Thai credentials.  I tell all my friends that back alley "International License" may get you out of a traffic stop but if some Thai decided to drive under your car one day you are gonna wish you spent the time to get the real license.  You have no leverage if you are on the road illegally. 

1) Ensure you have a Thai Licence

2) OR a Valid licence from your home country accompanied with an IDP and you've been here for less than 3 months

3) Ensure you have Valid Govournment (Por Ror Bor) Insurance

4) 1st Class insurance, while optional is also pretty much essential

OP: You don't believe you were wrong, you have photographic evidence of the scene. 

Remain Polite, Remain Firm - You are not in the Wrong. 

The BiB will look for the path of least resistance - If you are polite, Firm and non flinching things will go your way. Never get angry, but its ok to show annoyance in a Firm and Polite manner. 

The likely outcome: You will be asked to accept blame. This is because you are insured and its almost become the social norm that the insured party's insurance pays for all damages regardless of fault. 

However, 'friendly' this solution is, it could also leave you open for compensation claims later on. 

Your solution: You can accept 50% of the Blame (so that your insurance pays your damages), the Guys on the Motorcycle accept 50% of the blame and they are on their own. 

Have a respectable and trusted Thai with you. It's fair enough that you expect the conversation to move at your pace for you to maintain complete understanding of what is going on. 

Each situation is different - the main thing you have control over is your behaviour, this in turn will be the deciding factor in how respectably you are treated. 

11 hours ago, Don Mega said:

What premium ? Licences are a fixed price.

Ok. I got myself a bit mixed up. What I should have said " when it came to renewing your car insurance,did the premium increase due to the fact that you admitted responsiblity for the accident".

• 2 months later...

Well, I had been rear ended by the same type of youth motorcyclist... tailgating and ram into the back of my old car.... A friend called a police officer in the area; solved it for 3 k and on my way... did not want the hassle of anything else... done quickly and in range... just did not want to deal with it.