Farang wows Trang with mad treasure hunting skills

webfact

Farang wows Trang with mad treasure hunting skills

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter -

201609221453363-20021028190209.jpg

An unnamed foreigner later identified as Stefan Burford combs Pak Meng Beach with a heavy-duty metal detector Thursday morning in Trang province.

TRANG — Ever since a ship loaded with resort employees sank off the coast of Trang seven years ago, people have looked for the coins which still wash ashore.

Thursday morning, beach-goers were amazed when just after 10am a British man lugged a Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector into the surf and began turning up coins by the dozens.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/weirdwonderful/2016/09/22/farang-wows-trang-mad-treasure-hunting-skills/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-23

Most of the unearthed treasures were 1 baht coins, although some were more rare as they were stamped 1965 by the mint. He also found a number of Buddha amulets and nine-sided 5 baht coins removed from circulation in 2008.

Stefan Burford shows off a fistful of coins he unearthed Thursday from Pak Meng Beach in Trang province.

Burford appeared very pleased with his discoveries while onlookers appeared amused that he put so much effort into it.

201609221453365-20021028190209-1024x576.jpg
One man's junk is another man's treasure.

19 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Work permit is the first thing that comes to mind,

and I thought Metal detectors were illegal here ?,

most things that you can have fun with,are

regards worgeordie

If work permit is the first thing that came to mind you need some help.

Honestly are you that jealous?

You could probably take a guess since it hit the papers and he was not arrested, everything is quite alright

Now if save up around $750 to $1000 US dollars, you can buy one and join him

21 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You could probably take a guess since it hit the papers and he was not arrested, everything is quite alright

He can still get problems from that, authorities aren't that fast here you know?

What if one of those amulets happens to be very expensive or from a hi-so Thai?? You'll see....

Edited by Thian

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Supposing he finds something of value just who will it belong to, highly unlikely it will be him.

Metal detecting was my hobby for twenty years before I moved to Thailand. If one finds something of value one is discrete and doesn't spread it around. The most interesting thing I found was a civil war Union army field sword.

30 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

5 minutes in Thailand and already an expert on work permits .....

58 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Just wondering whether his equipment CTX 3030 related to the

CTX-9000 bomb-scanners for Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport.?.....

No relation, because the metal detector works and costs only a fraction of the bomb detectors.

However the bomb detectors did make certain people a lot of money.

"Thursday morning, beach-goers were amazed when just after 10am a British man lugged a Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector into the surf and began turning up coins by the dozens."

Keep it up Buddy. In no time you will have collected enough coins to buy yourself a plate of Phad Thai.

Good luck to him, hope he finds 

9 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"Thursday morning, beach-goers were amazed when just after 10am a British man lugged a Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector into the surf and began turning up coins by the dozens."

Keep it up Buddy. In no time you will have collected enough coins to buy yourself a plate of Phad Thai.

Some of those coins could be worth a lot, just lately on Facebook someone showed some Thai coins that sold for 400,000 baht.

Spend a few days doing what he is doing then clean up what he has found and then have fun finding out what is valuable or not, a better hobby than being on Thaivisa all day.

Obviously the Thai onlookers could not understand why he put so much effort into finding a few old coins. But everything a Thai does is for money and they do not understand when there is no money in it. But I am sure it is not about money for this Farang. Good luck to him, it is better than sitting around in bars all day   

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Seems like fun, probably someone will charge him for doing something illegal though.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I asked in the forum "Ask the lawyer" if metal detector were legal in Thailand. The answer was:

it's not illegal but you should ask the owner of the parcel if he allows you to scan it

1 hour ago, Pimay1 said:

Metal detecting was my hobby for twenty years before I moved to Thailand. If one finds something of value one is discrete and doesn't spread it around. The most interesting thing I found was a civil war Union army field sword.

One?  You mean you!  Other metal detectors understand their responsibility and share their finds with the land owner and the gained knowledge with the academic community, adding to the known history of the area.

12 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

These guys are an archeologist's nightmare.

Some are, some contribute to archaeological surveys and donate their finds to museums, in the case of the man above, he is just a beach hunter, nothing lost from his modern day finds and nothing disturbed archaeologically on a beach as everything is reduced to sand in a relatively short period of time.

10 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

One?  You mean you!  Other metal detectors understand their responsibility and share their finds with the land owner and the gained knowledge with the academic community, adding to the known history of the area.

To each his/her own. If I made a find like the guy in England who discovered a treasure of gold coins then that would be different. I would report it but small finds like a silver or gold coin here and there, no unless it dated back centuries and was of historic value.

Edited by Pimay1

I wouldn't be so cock-sure with that flippancy. This guy should perhaps keep any real finds quiet. Show that you're making bank and things can get quirky-awkward for the farang from jealous parties.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Work permit is the first thing that comes to mind,

regards worgeordie

Most things?

I know some things here you can have huge fun with!

The rest is not too important.

1 hour ago, Pimay1 said:

To each his/her own. If I made a find like the guy in England who discovered a treasure of gold coins then that would be different. I would report it but small finds like a silver or gold coin here and there, no unless it dated back centuries and was of historic value.

Which is exactly the reason many landowners do not allow treasure hunters on their land, honesty will often be met with generosity, dishonesty with rightful denial.

20 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Which is exactly the reason many landowners do not allow treasure hunters on their land, honesty will often be met with generosity, dishonesty with rightful denial.

In twenty years I think I was denied access by land owners three times and I always asked permission. My primary hunting targets were old schools and old churches. I didn't hunt much on private property.

Edited by Pimay1

1 hour ago, Pimay1 said:

In twenty years I think I was denied access by land owners three times and I always asked permission. My primary hunting targets were old schools and old churches. I didn't hunt much on private property.

And were you honest and did you tell them that if you found something small like a gold coin that you would pretend that you hadn't and keep it all for yourself?  Your morals are hardly endearing.

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

And were you honest and did you tell them that if you found something small like a gold coin that you would pretend that you hadn't and keep it all for yourself?  Your morals are hardly endearing.

I never had to make that decision as I never found a gold coin.

4 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Some are, some contribute to archaeological surveys and donate their finds to museums, in the case of the man above, he is just a beach hunter, nothing lost from his modern day finds and nothing disturbed archaeologically on a beach as everything is reduced to sand in a relatively short period of time.

it's not a matter of "donating your finds"- the problem is that archeology requires survey and location before excavation and finally removal and conservation of an object.

Where it is and how it is lying in the ground are as important as the object itself - if an "amateur" interfere with the evidence it is tantamount to the way the Thai police handle forensics at a crime site.

the rate of erosion wear and tear on a beach can very by decades relating to location currents tides and materials.

I am not saying that this guy is particularly damaging in this case, but one needs proper recording and categorisation of any objects found as it is quitre likely they may not be all linked to one single incident as suggested in the OP.......then there is the inevitable question of ownership - how this is sorted under Thai law is anyone's guess.

Edited by cumgranosalum