Thai Lion Air's flight delayed after pilot aborts take-off

rooster59

Thai Lion Air's flight delayed after pilot aborts take-off

The Nation

30296100-01_big.jpg

A flight of Thai Lion Air from Chiang Mai to Don Mueang was delayed for an hour after the pilot aborted the initial take-off Saturday morning.

The pilot of Flight SL 525 aborted the take-off at 7 am while the plane was gaining speed on the run-way, causing panic among the passengers.

Officials then spent about an hour to fix the plane while the passengers were on board. The passengers cried foul, demanding the airline to change a new plane for them.

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-24

At least the Thai Lion Air Pilot stopped because of malfunction, Malaysia Air Asia not only entered in the wrong co-ordinates to KL  at Sydney , but refused to acknowledge the active alarms and then taxied out to the arrival runway and took off ignoring everything and everybody, then tried to rectify the problem in flight   landing eleven thousand miles off course,  at Melbourne, sometime you've got to make a call,  this Thai Lion Air  captain made the correct one.....................................................................  

33 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Newest pilots too, some of the most inexperienced flying in Thailand

Based on what expertise/knowledge into the industry you have??

Well done to the flight crew, it is their responsibility to ensure passenger and aircraft safety NO MATTER how much the passengers "belly ache"!!

1 hour ago, Dibbler said:

I wish they would sue you for defamation for that ridiculous statement.

The Captain on my recent flight to Udon Thani was a middle aged German and we had an excellent flight

Edited by Asiantravel

3 hours ago, chainarong said:

At least the Thai Lion Air Pilot stopped because of malfunction, Malaysia Air Asia not only entered in the wrong co-ordinates to KL  at Sydney , but refused to acknowledge the active alarms and then taxied out to the arrival runway and took off ignoring everything and everybody, then tried to rectify the problem in flight   landing eleven thousand miles off course,  at Melbourne, sometime you've got to make a call,  this Thai Lion Air  captain made the correct one.....................................................................  

Full marks to the captain, a great call.  Why denigrate him or the airline, all safe, good job.

13 minutes ago, CGW said:

^ Was he not just doing his job? society seems to want to make a "hero" out of anybody and everybody in this day & age,

people 'just doing their job' and people 'just doing a bit better' often make the difference between life and death in avionics.

i'd rather fly with a hot - shot 27 year old 3000 hours pilot than an up - himself chief dutch guy...

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sBQXS9Fn-g) .

one wants to get home to his gf - and the other one...

33 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

ineople 'ju nosim doing their job' and people 'just doing a bit better' often make theundifference between life and death in avionics.

i'd rather fly with a hot - shot 27 year old 3000 hours pilot than an up - himself chief dutch guy...

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sBQXS9Fn-g) .

one wants to get home to his gf - and the other one...

The difference between life and death In 'avionics'??  Are you suggesting the radio/electronics racks could kill everybody?

You mean 'aviation'.  It's OK.....I know English Is not your first language.

Incidentally, thete are very few, If any 'hotshot' pilots In civil aviation.  The system doesn't want, or need, 'hotshot ' pilots.  It demands mature people who can make solid judgements, and who can observe procedures to the letter.

I'd much prefer to have a middle aged, jhugely experienced PIC, whose primary Interest Is safe flying, not shagging cabin crew, or trying to Impress.

There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are NO old, bold pilots!!

Incidentally, the up himself Dutch pilot wanted to get home, and rushing was a primary cause of the worst aviation disaster In history.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

Lion Air has just been removed from the EU ban list.....their safety rating is 1/7 compared with Nok Air (2/7) and Bangkok Air or Orient Thai and Air Asia with 3/7. I would not fly with them. And I agree on the pilots issue. All airlines are in need and there are plenty of young and unexperienced pilots around now but they are trained propperly and up to standards. I know a young Air Asia pilot and I would have no doubts with him. We talk a lot about that issue. However lack of experience is an issue in that industrie.

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

The difference between life and death In 'avionics'??  Are you suggesting the radio/electronics racks could kill everybody?

You mean 'aviation'.  It's OK.....I know English Is not your first language.

Incidentally, thete are very few, If any 'hotshot' pilots In civil aviation.  The system doesn't want, or need, 'hotshot ' pilots.  It demands mature people who can make solid judgements, and who can observe procedures to the letter.

I'd much prefer to have a middle aged, jhugely experienced PIC, whose primary Interest Is safe flying, not shagging cabin crew, or trying to Impress.

There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are NO old, bold pilots!!

Incidentally, the up himself Dutch pilot wanted to get home, and rushing was a primary cause of the worst aviation disaster In history.

good reply, and , yes, aviation is the right one...

perhaps check your own posts for spelling? spell checkers can be a friend or a foe.

hot shot pilots, by the way,  are a given in many countries. ever flown into Nepal? the Caribbean?  even buzzing into outback 'oztralia' will present you with rookies at the helm.

not saying you are wrong, just saying i have a different opinion.

cheers

mft

Thai Lion Air becomes IOSA Registered.

Thai Lion Air has been added to the IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) Registry .

As far as I know they are the only LOW Cost Carrier in Thailand to receive this certification. This is the same certification that most full service carrier pass.

http://www.lionairthai.com/en/press_release/2015/09/23/Thai-Lion-Air-becomes-IOSA-Registered

I wish they would sue you for defamation for that ridiculous statement.

The Captain on my recent flight to Udon Thani was a middle aged German and we had an excellent flight

So you advocate Thailand's ridiculous defamation laws.

Just because he is middle aged and German doesn't in any way indicate that he is an experienced pilot.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://theconversation.com/rising-number-of-inexperienced-pilots-may-lead-to-more-crashes-39593&ved=0ahUKEwi5rseMlqjPAhUMqY8KHdzfAfUQFggmMAE&usg=AFQjCNGWoaJC-MtmEGn9tHuPENqJMoMKEQ

A Looming Pilot Shortage Means a Bumpy Ride for Airlines

Airline pilots’ average age is 50, and newcomers are scarce. No wonder: The starting salary is $23,000.

You think Thai Lion Air is any different than the rest of the airlines in finding quality, experienced pilots?

6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Nowt wrong with Lion Air. Newest planes in the budget category. Cheap fares and you can pay for up to 40kg luggage.

flights are good but their baggage service leaves a bit to be desired, two broken baggage handles and the extendable handle on another one also damaged, they refused to do anything about them and actually closed the service area when we told them about it, head office virtually said bad luck, guess throwing the baggage is normal procedure for them and customer service is also off limits. To be as cheap as they are they have to cut corners somewhere .......

Edited by seajae

4 hours ago, OKF said:

Lion Air has just been removed from the EU ban list.....their safety rating is 1/7 compared with Nok Air (2/7) and Bangkok Air or Orient Thai and Air Asia with 3/7. I would not fly with them. And I agree on the pilots issue. All airlines are in need and there are plenty of young and unexperienced pilots around now but they are trained propperly and up to standards. I know a young Air Asia pilot and I would have no doubts with him. We talk a lot about that issue. However lack of experience is an issue in that industrie.

If you think that an airline that is better rated is actually safer, you must know a lot less than me, so it means almost nothing.

9 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Are you suggesting that radio/electronics racks can't kill anybody?

In September 1998 Swissair lost an MD11 of the coast of Newfoundland, all 229 passengers died.  One of the primary findings of the cause of the fire that downed that aircraft was:

" Investigators identified evidence of arcing in wiring of the in-flight entertainment system network, but this did not trip the circuit breakers. "

The newly installed, aftermarket upgrade, of the state of the art entertainment system could have been the primary cause of the fire that caused the aircraft to crash.

2 hours ago, wayned said:

Are you suggesting that radio/electronics racks can't kill anybody?

In September 1998 Swissair lost an MD11 of the coast of Newfoundland, all 229 passengers died.  One of the primary findings of the cause of the fire that downed that aircraft was:

" Investigators identified evidence of arcing in wiring of the in-flight entertainment system network, but this did not trip the circuit breakers. "

The newly installed, aftermarket upgrade, of the state of the art entertainment system could have been the primary cause of the fire that caused the aircraft to crash.

wayned, you're taking this too seriously.  It was a play on words, 'avionics' versus 'aviation'.  Of course a fire in the avionics bay could cause catastrophic damage, just as being sucked down the aircraft toilet could.  

I'm not being serious about that either!!

I read of a case many years ago of a technician being electrocuted in the avionics bay, so it can be a deadly place.

I am well aware of the MD11 crash, and it was studied by airlines as a Crew Resource Management exercise, and I think, from memory, that the retrofit entertainment system wasn't wired through the circuit breaker board, so no circuit protection, and that was why the fire occurred.  I suppose the primary cause was the technician hot wiring the system??

10 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

good reply, and , yes, aviation is the right one...

perhaps check your own posts for spelling? spell checkers can be a friend or a foe.

hot shot pilots, by the way,  are a given in many countries. ever flown into Nepal? the Caribbean?  even buzzing into outback 'oztralia' will present you with rookies at the helm.

not saying you are wrong, just saying i have a different opinion.

cheers

mft

Thanks for your reply mft.  I've been unable to edit since the TV upgrade, and I have particular difficulties with "I' (eye), and can't get lower case.  If I spot a typo during the typing of the word, I am able to edit, but I can't go back after finishing my post and do so.  That's only on my 'phone incidentally, not on the laptop??   Odd!!  Computers/'phones  $#@%& !!  I am generally meticulous about having my posts correct.

Now let's get onto the 'hotshot' pilots.   NO airline wants hotshot pilots.  The 'right stuff' espoused by Chuck Yeager is the WRONG stuff for an airline pilot, great for a one man show, fighter pilot, but definitely not for an airline pilot, and any sign of hotshot behaviour during training, and a recruit is weeded out very quickly.

Hotshot pilots in general aviation??   There would be a few, the ones who see themselves as hotshots, but they are no more than risk takers who have managed to get away with risky behaviour, and I said in an earlier post, there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are NO old bold pilots.  Risk takers don't survive in general aviation, and are weeded out of airlines.  Don't believe the movies where you see airline pilots doing dopey things.  The Dutch pilot, responsible for the worst aviation disaster in history, was rushing to stay within duty hours and save his company money, and his passengers inconvenience, but there is no such thing as a shortcut in aviation.

In airline flying, the rules are the rules are the RULES.  If a crew departs from the rules, they are in diabolical trouble.  Don't believe Branson where he says in his book that he gives his pilots the authority to operate as they see fit.  There is NO latitude, and there is no emergency that Boeing and Airbus haven't considered, so there is a procedure to cover it.  Even an event such as a four engine failure, is really only a single engine failure times 4, so the procedure for relighting an engine is done four times.  

Aviation is rule bound....that's what keeps it safe/r.  Depart from the rules at your peril, and aviation history is littered with crashes and incidents where that has been the cause, e.g., Teneriffe.

You may THINK you'd prefer to fly with a 27 yo 3000 hour hotshot pilot, but let me assure you that he is the last pilot you should want to fly with, because if he, or others, consider him a hotshot, he takes risks, and risk taking kills people.

I have flown into Nepal and St Martin as a passenger, but the pilots aren't hotshots because they can put an aircraft on the end markers.  They would be duds if they couldn't though.

I have some idea of how aviation works, 30+ years as a pilot, 25 in airlines flying heavy jets.  Some of my general aviation experience was flying for the Flying Doctor in northern/outback Australia, short runways (some as short as 300 meters!!), surrounded by high trees, night operations with no runway lights, just a few small fires to mark the threshold, violent wet season weather, and a host of other challenges, but that didn't make me a hotshot pilot, just a confident and competent pilot.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

14 hours ago, OKF said:

And how do you get that experience as a pilot if not by flying?

16 hours ago, rosst said:

Full marks to the captain, a great call.  Why denigrate him or the airline, all safe, good job.

Best one was  Air Asia Indonesia a few months back on approach to Perth Int , control tower requested a go around , he was 300 m below the glide scope. That makes U wonder . 

Just now, chainarong said:

Best one was  Air Asia Indonesia a few months back on approach to Perth Int , control tower requested a go around , he was 300 m below the glide scope. That makes U wonder . 

300 meters below the GS at what distance?  20 miles is not a problem, 3 miles or less is a major problem.

20 hours ago, chainarong said:

Eleven thousand miles?

22 hours ago, Dibbler said:

Can you explain how in-experienced pilots become experienced?

My knowledge is limited to them flying as third, then second and up to first pilots as their flying hours mount.

As first pilots gain more experience they become check pilots and instructor pilots.

There is NO short cut to experience and in-experienced pilots always have qualified first pilots in charge.

Of course with your vast experience as a fully qualified instructor pilot you know a quicker way to gain experience.

18 hours ago, OKF said:

Lion Air has just iseen removed from the  n list.....their safety rating is 1/7 compared with Nok Air (2/7) and Bangkok Air or Orient Thai and Air Asia with 3/7. I would not fly with them. And I agree on the pilots issue. All airlines are in need and there are plenty of young and unexperienced pilots around now but they are trained propperly and up to standards. I know a young Air Asia pilot and I would have no doubts with him. We talk a lot about that issue. However lack of experience is an issue in that industrie.

On what basis would you have no doubts about the young Air Asia plilot you know??  He's a good guy?  He sounds/acts confidently?  Can sink a lot of Chang?  None of those make him competent.

The public have no way of knowing what standard the flight crew are.  He may struggle to pass checks, and he's not going to advertise that.

That he's flying means he has passed and so met at least the minimum standard, provided the company's Check & Training Is Itself of the required standard.

Unable to edit typos or use lower case 'I' (eye, not 'L') since TV upgrade.