Expecting Visitors from Overseas, reporting them to Immigration ?

Hi everybody

I live in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant O visa. I am living in a large rented house. In January next year I'm expecting two visitors.

They will stay with me for 28 days. Will I have to take them to an Immigration Office to register them there ?  Will I have to get my landlord involved ?

Or should I just don't do anything ?

Thanks for any helpful comments.

Thanks Deepinthailand.

That's what I did many times when i had visitors. That was before the generals took over.

Yesterday my wife called Immigration Office because she has heared some rumors that visitors must be registered within 24 hours, otherwise hefty fines have to be paid by the renter and the landlord.

Info from Immigration was: "Yes, guest must be registered within 24 hours after arrival. The visitors must appear in person at the Immigration Office."  Can't be true, can it ?

My visitors will arrive on a Friday afternoon. The earliest would be Monday to make the report. My Immigration Office is 115 km from my home.

I wonder how the hotels are handling this. Maybe I will talk to one of them.

33 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Thanks Deepinthailand.

That's what I did many times when i had visitors. That was before the generals took over.

Yesterday my wife called Immigration Office because she has heared some rumors that visitors must be registered within 24 hours, otherwise hefty fines have to be paid by the renter and the landlord.

Info from Immigration was: "Yes, guest must be registered within 24 hours after arrival. The visitors must appear in person at the Immigration Office."  Can't be true, can it ?

My visitors will arrive on a Friday afternoon. The earliest would be Monday to make the report. My Immigration Office is 115 km from my home.

Get your wife to fill in necessary form,  and take it to your local police station if Imm too far away. This is allowed.

• Like 2

Hear what your saying re the correct procedure however I for one won't be going to immigration or police stn to report a visitor staying had several over the last two months no problems at all. Even when stopped by police at road block me the mrs and three guests. If they were coming for say 2 to 3 months then I may post a notice to them but for a month or less no thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's not just for visitors, you are supposed to report yourself to immigration also whenever you enter the country.

There is no requirement to report yourself every time you enter the country.

It is the owners, house master or possessor of the residence where you are staying responsibility to report your presence and it is not always required if it has been reported previously.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement to report yourself every time you enter the country.

It is the owners, house master or possessor of the residence where you are staying responsibility to report your presence and it is not always required if it has been reported previously.

So if you are the owner, the house master or possessor of the residence then you are required to report yourself, no?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So if you are the owner, the house master or possessor of the residence then you are required to report yourself, no?

Not every time you enter the country.

At most immigration offices  you only have to do the report once and some never ask for one. They only want a new report if you move.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not every time you enter the country.

At most immigration offices  you only have to do the report once and some never ask for one. They only want a new report if you move.

I beleive it's every time you enter the country on a new visa but not if you're on a re-entry?

And also if you enter on a 30 day exempt stamp?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes. However, these days Immigration sometimes insist that the Owner to makes the report even though the law says the House-Master or Possessor can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I beleive it's every time you enter the country on a new visa but not if you're on a re-entry?

And also if you enter on a 30 day exempt stamp?

I agree. Visa Exempt Entry included. 

The Immigration Act is clear. The problem is that the enforcement varies from office to office so it's best to ask your local office what they want.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • The correct answer is that you or the owner should report the visitors.
  • You can make the report as the Possessor of the property.
  • The requirement is to report within 24 hours of staying at the property rather than entry to the country and they will go by whatever date you put on the form. I doubt many, if any, offices will insist on it being within 24 hours. You can send the report in by post with a stamped return envelope for the receipt.
  • If you don't report, and your guests have no reason to go to an immigration office, there should be no problem as immigration will not know they are staying with you unless you tell them.
  • The worst case, should you not report and immigration do find out, is a maximum fine of 2,000 baht, but the typical fine is 800 baht.

Thanks a lot Elviajero,

Thanks to everyone for their appreciated input.

I have just entered and on my arrival card I wrote the address I was suppose to stay but it turned out that I couldn't stay there anyway and have rented a condo. So when I go to the immigration next month for an extension will I just have to bring the contract of my new address? Or what to do?

38 minutes ago, jesperdk said:

I have just entered and on my arrival card I wrote the address I was suppose to stay but it turned out that I couldn't stay there anyway and have rented a condo. So when I go to the immigration next month for an extension will I just have to bring the contract of my new address? Or what to do?

Since the only record they have of your address is the one on your arrival card it will not be a problem.

Just use your new address when you apply with proof of it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jesperdk said:

When I went to get a re-entry permit at Jomtien they gave me the residence notification form to complete, they had never done that before.

42 minutes ago, Generalchaos said:

I live here on a marriage extension with my wife and son. Is she supposed to report me on this form? Been here over 10 years and never been asked about it.

She may very well have done so during one of your extensions, without you being aware of it. Done once, if you don't change addresses.

On 24/09/2016 at 8:21 PM, maximillian said:

Thanks Deepinthailand.

What the eye doesn't see. . . but of course if you go looking for trouble you will invariably find it.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2016 at 5:50 PM, jesperdk said:

I was in a similar boat my paddles are heading in direction of shut up and next visit or departure if and when they ask for the TM30 I shall provide. My owner is overseas and it's her duties to report me. 

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

What the eye doesn't see. . . but of course if you go looking for trouble you will invariably find it.

Stories and Rubbish talk. It's not heavily enforced or they would need 50 new cars and new water bottle. If you create panic they feed on you. Just relax you not need take anyone anywhere. You take a TM30 has there names arrival details address DONE. YOU NOT NEED SHOW ANYONE. She was liar