PM: Thailand’s international image improves

rooster59

PM: Thailand’s international image improves

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNPOL590924001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 24 September 2016 (NNT) – The prime minister said Thailand’s image in the international community has improved. 

Speaking on his weekly program, “Returning Happiness to the People,” prime minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said he had received warm welcome by world leaders while attending the 71st Session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York, USA. 

Thanks to the current situation in Thailand which has been peaceful, coupled with the fact that the country is returning to democracy after last month’s charter referendum, the nation’s image has improved considerably. 

Also, he said Thailand spends around 180 million US dollars every year on migration and refugee services, giving shelter to refugees, issuing birth certificates to babies born to refugees in Thailand, and providing other types of humanitarian assistance. 

Thailand sad been a member of the United Nations for 70 years, but 2016 is the first year that the country puts world’s agendas into practice such as reducing the risk of natural disasters and adopting the sustainable development goals. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-25

Right on cue the positive report on the UN jaunt and this top it's coming from the very top.

A ' warm welcome ' means nothing as it's usual for people to exchange pleasantries but for Thai propaganda it takes on a whole new meaning.

So the country's ' returning ' to democracy is it ? I hardly think the referendum qualifies as any sort of yardstick.

27 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Talking of 'peaceful' how's the situation in the deep south going and how about the investigation into the multiple bomb attacks? Was that really so long ago as last month?

Three policemen were killed down South Friday,  if you haven't seen or heard about this , it  looks like you are in a true democracy , with holding news and only releasing what they want you to hear,  old junta trick

'Image has improved'. Image, image, image. That is all they ever care about: 'image'. Not substance, not reality, not truth.

There could be a veritable devil, demon or monster sitting there being interviewed, but cover him over with the fabricated 'image' of a heroic angel - and everyone in Officialdom is happy and pretends to buy into the sham. They never care about the truth that lies ('lies' in both senses!) behind the 'image'. The image is ALL!

Perhaps this is so , like  China and some African despots ,  can't think why any western countries would be  happy to be shaking hands with a Junta leader, out of nineteen participating countries,  first time I never heard Thailand's name being called out in military exercises  in NT  OZ, obviously ,  China wasn't invited either ...........................................:coffee1:

Thailand's international image is appalling. In the off chance this post ever makes it to the PM here is my opinion Why ?

1) These Coup D'Etat every few years is not something we are accustomed too in the 21st Century. The 70's. 80s perhaps yes, but these days it a little backward.

2) There is not peace in Thailand, in fact there is the suppression of free expression. Anything that is deemed to be against the State is suppressed. This makes the ruling General falsely believe that we are living in a Utopia of Happiness, this may come as a shock were not.

3) The people of Thailand are afraid to speak, they are afraid to democratically oppose and that always leads to violence, please note the recent bombings.

4) Tourists tend not to visit where bombs go off, yes you will get low value Chinese Tourists, busing in from China, but they do not spend a lot and certainly do not replace the valuable income lost that visiting Falang from UK, Sweden or Norway would bring in to Thailand's coffers.  In fact I would say it would take 20 Chinese Tourists to match the spend of 1 European Tourist.

5) Thailand is viewed as well risky. Sorry to say that but it is. Certainly not the place where I would want to invest in property.

6) The Government of Thailand could not do less to promote the image that Thailand and Thai do not want Visa free or at least relaxed visa arrangements, unlike Cambodia and Myanmar.

7) Thailand is technically not a third world country anymore and that makes it slightly  more expensive to visit. Why do you think people choose Thailand over Spain or Turkey, it has to be cheaper ..... got it ....  no. ..... didn't think so .... watch  the number of tourist from Europe decrease,

8) State sponsored surveillance of tourists will only put people off from visiting. Not much more to be said really. FACT !!!

9) Stop blaming falangs for everything wrong with the Country.

10) Stop applauding the Military Junta for everything right with the Country.

I have nothing more to say, I have stayed well within the rules of this forum, if I had more free speech, then I would say a lot more.

Edited by autanic

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Right on cue the positive report on the UN jaunt and this top it's coming from the very top.

A ' warm welcome ' means nothing as it's usual for people to exchange pleasantries but for Thai propaganda it takes on a whole new meaning.

So the country's ' returning ' to democracy is it ? I hardly think the referendum qualifies as any sort of yardstick.

Do you prefer the "democracy" of the last few years prior to the last coup, which caused absolute chaos and open corruption, to the way of return to eventual democracy and a peaceful situation in Thailand (except for the south where even a full western like democracy won't stop the terror), set out in the proposed charter? I know which alternative I prefer.

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

The good PM's idea of democracy is on a par with what he perceived as a warm welcome by international leaders. Ilusionary at best. 

37 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Do you prefer the "democracy" of the last few years prior to the last coup, which caused absolute chaos and open corruption, to the way of return to eventual democracy and a peaceful situation in Thailand (except for the south where even a full western like democracy won't stop the terror), set out in the proposed charter? I know which alternative I prefer.

we have not yet seen the violence that will go along with the next elections when the reds cant run their own candidates. the army might be able to delay elections but they will have to happen eventually. we have all seen what people are prepared to go through with riots and bombings. the return to democracy is not possible now that the good general got the referendum passed. is going to be a long and bloody road back to real elections.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

Don't ever remember Thailand being mentioned in the same sentence as "positive international image".   Sorry, the two just do not go together.  A couple of back packers eating Pataya and drinking a beer on Khaosan road reflects the goodness of the common Thai, and has nothing to do with the delusional and lecherous Thai Government. 

Lucky that Lies and Hypocrisy do not smell bad ... if so , nobody would even come close to the government buildings any more ...

but not only in Thailand , about in every country ,,,may be except Bhutan ...

Edited by pumpuy
incomplete

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

we have not yet seen the violence that will go along with the next elections when the reds cant run their own candidates. the army might be able to delay elections but they will have to happen eventually. we have all seen what people are prepared to go through with riots and bombings. the return to democracy is not possible now that the good general got the referendum passed. is going to be a long and bloody road back to real elections.

Disagree. I think the days of cheap popular masses being roused to protect Shin assets and get that family back in control of the trough to enrich themselves are gone. Shin political vehicles and very undemocratic UDD are being seen for what they are. 

However, there are a few non Shin controlled organizations springing up. What their character is like we have yet to see.

As for the UN - very expensive total waste of space. Anything that goes off there is poppycock.

Edited by Baerboxer