Automatic camera fines for not wearing helmets to launch in Phuket

rooster59

Automatic camera fines for not wearing helmets to launch in Phuket

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1474697863_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Traffic Police are already counting down the days to switching on cameras at five locations across Phuket that will automatically send fines for motorcyclists and their passengers not wearing helmets to the motorcycle’s registered owner.

The contract for the installation of the “intelligent-camera system” was signed on Sept 7, Dr Wiwat Seetamanotch, Vice President of the Phuket branch of the Thai Road Safety Network, confirmed to The Phuket News on Wednesday (Sept 21) at a meeting of officials to discuss details of the cameras’ deployment.

The cameras will take four months to install, hence the countdown of 120 days began on Sept 7, Dr Wiwat explained, setting a launch date for the system for Thursday January 5, 2017.

“The system costs B16,176,367, with the funds provided by the UK-based Safer Roads Foundation,” Dr Wiwat noted.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Teeraphol Thipjaroen told The Phuket News that the five locales chosen were “the main intersection in Thalang; a major intersection in Kathu; the intersection of Thepkrasattri Rd and Komaraphat Rd in Phuket Town; Kwang Rd in Wichit; and a major intersection in Kamala.”

“Signs will be installed at the five locations so that motorists have no excuse that they didn’t know the law was being applied there,” he added.

“Each location will have three cameras, and the system will be first used for issuing automatic fines for motorbike riders – and passengers – not wearing helmets,” Gen Teeraphol said.

The cameras and the combined system have the ability to read license plates of cars and motorbikes, he said.

“The system also has face-recognition image capability, and can identify motorbike riders regardless of whether they are wearing helmets or not, but at the initial stage the cameras will not be linked to the national ID database,” Gen Teeraphol explained.

“The cameras can also sense vehicles that cross stop lines at intersections, so if a motorist crosses a stop line while the light facing them is red, we will be able to automatically fine them running a red light,” he said.

“For this, I have ordered police in all areas to ensure stop lines are painted clearly at major intersections in their areas, and I have asked all local government municipalities to do the same,” he added.

The system even has the ability to sense – and take clear images of – people riding or driving the wrong way against the flow of traffic, a habit known locally as “ghostriding” or ghostdriving”, Gen Teeraphol noted.

“In issuing the fines for not wearing helmets, the system will compare the license plate captured in the photo or image with the database of registered vehicles kept at the phuket Land Transport office (PLTO),” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/automatic-camera-fines-for-not-wearing-helmets-to-launch-in-phuket-59226.php#ZOx8ZyYokJ2flO1D.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-25

Well the red light camera idea is the best part of this. Technology is not required to see that people aren't wearing helmets.

I wonder if they have figured out how to collect the fines? Can't just hold their hand out like usual.

Edited by canuckamuck

In Chiang Rai, and probably elsewhere in Thailand, sometimes cops will set up a helmet check near one of the colleges or Universities.  An added perc: cops can get young ladies' phone numbers.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of drivers (each hour) go speeding through red lights, and there's zero chance of anyone getting apprehended.  Probably the worst traffic offense (most likely to cause an accident) is cutting blind corners on turns.  That's also NEVER dealt with Thai 'asleep at the wheel' cops.

Funds provided by the UK based " safer roads foundation " more Brit cash pi55ed up the wall. A total waste of time and effort. The Thais will find a way to evade it as usual. Wonder what happens when Johnny Tourist rides by on his rental bike without a helmet ? If the postal fine takes a week or so to arrive at the rental place the guilty party may have already left Thailand. Can't see the bike rental mafia being happy if they left holding the baby. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pdaz

what drives me mad is when the police stop people for not wearing a helmet, they fine them and then let them ride off with no helmet ? if this is about road safety make them walk after giving out the fine, same as stopping 3 - 4 people on one 1 bike, if you make 1 or 2 of them get off the bike i know they will jump back on round the corner but at least it will look like there trying to do there job.

31 minutes ago, Darren palmer said:

what drives me mad is when the police stop people for not wearing a helmet, they fine them and then let them ride off with no helmet ? if this is about road safety make them walk after giving out the fine, same as stopping 3 - 4 people on one 1 bike, if you make 1 or 2 of them get off the bike i know they will jump back on round the corner but at least it will look like there trying to do there job.

The receipt for the fine is actually a license to go helmetless for the entire day.

If you are stopped at another check-point, by showing the receipt, you'll be allowed to go and continue your trip without a helmet.

The owner of the vehicle is to be held responsible for anyone riding his vehicle (family member, neighbor, friend, etc) who breaks a traffic law/rule. Without a photo of the driver as well as the tag who is to say who is guilty of breaking a law.

Sounds like the owner/citizens are going to be required to do the work that police are paid to do. Just more time for police to set in the local grog shop, while someone else even collects the fine.

1 hour ago, clockman said:

30% Of bikes have no number plate! Having lived here on and off for the last 25 years. Something as simple a enforcing the law on helmets is a non starter. T.I.T. we are different!

Excellent point ... how can they fine by post if no registration plate. Much more on the road police enforcement required. And not just the check points, police patrols should drive about and stop obvious road offenders. But this will never happen ... police just too lazy/don't care. 

9 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The receipt for the fine is actually a license to go helmetless for the entire day.

If you are stopped at another check-point, by showing the receipt, you'll be allowed to go and continue your trip without a helmet.

Just  highlights the nonsense of police enforcement. Police should confiscate the bike until rider shows up wearing a helmet.  but far too much work for the BiB.

15 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Just  highlights the nonsense of police enforcement. Police should confiscate the bike until rider shows up wearing a helmet.  but far too much work for the BiB.

Likewise for drunk drivers. Letting them drive on after paying is a bit daft.

“Signs will be installed at the five locations so that motorists have no excuse that they didn’t know the law was being applied there,” he added.

Is he implicitly saying that you can normally defend your traffic violations by simply stating: "oh, i didn't know the law was being applied here"?

:stoner:

34 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Excellent point ... how can they fine by post if no registration plate. Much more on the road police enforcement required. And not just the check points, police patrols should drive about and stop obvious road offenders. But this will never happen ... police just too lazy/don't care. 

In my experience the percentage of bikes without license plate is much much lower, more around 5%.

Either way, installing this system is a first step in the right way as you replace unreliable humans with machines who do not stop working when its hot, when it rains, when they don't feel like it, or when someone gives them a few banknotes in cash. 

I seriously hope these 5 cameras turn a profit within weeks and local authorities decide to implement them at every traffic light on Phuket.

The police can then start hunting down motorbikes without license plates (with an easy way of measuring their effectiveness as the % of traffic violations committed by bikes without a license plate should drop significantly once they start focusing on getting every vehicle a proper license plate) and improve traffic safety even more.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Well the red light camera idea is the best part of this. Technology is not required to see that people aren't wearing helmets.

I wonder if they have figured out how to collect the fines? Can't just hold their hand out like usual.

this goes a little beyond in that the summons will be issued automatically once a violation is captured by the camera. to enforce the payment should be too difficult if they want to do it. do not renew the licence for the vehicle if there are any fines outstanding against the vehicle.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

this goes a little beyond in that the summons will be issued automatically once a violation is captured by the camera. to enforce the payment should be too difficult if they want to do it. do not renew the licence for the vehicle if there are any fines outstanding against the vehicle.

31 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Is he implicitly saying that you can normally defend your traffic violations by simply stating: "oh, i didn't know the law was being applied here"?

:stoner:

not really that way but these signs are meant for public information and education.

1 hour ago, slapout said:

The owner of the vehicle is to be held responsible for anyone riding his vehicle (family member, neighbor, friend, etc) who breaks a traffic law/rule. Without a photo of the driver as well as the tag who is to say who is guilty of breaking a law.

Sounds like the owner/citizens are going to be required to do the work that police are paid to do. Just more time for police to set in the local grog shop, while someone else even collects the fine.

Try reading the article before you comment.

It said it will have facial recognition tied to the national ID database.

*tsk tsk*

2 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Wonder how this will affect the motor cycle rental business?

Probably some 5,000 THB deposit left at rental time, and ifyou mange to exceed that or disappear -  you can likely expect to be logged on some computer as an outstanding payer, and thus detained on your NEXT entry to the Kingdom.

2 hours ago, clockman said:

30% Of bikes have no number plate! Having lived here on and off for the last 25 years. Something as simple a enforcing the law on helmets is a non starter. T.I.T. we are different!

guilty

honda put shit screws on mine, never put it back.. drove past checkpoints and police officers countless times, no warning.

47 minutes ago, sahibji said:

That is already how it is.. if there are outstanding fines you cant renew some insurance / road tax. But still maybe then they just wont renew those.

In BKK there are already camera's and if they catch me i just pay up (i never jump red lights i think its on par with drunk driving about how bad it is). I do break the speed limit at times.  Not that I go that fast just a few km above it but wrong is wrong.

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

As I've said before, Vietnam impounds bikes of offending drivers.   They can return 48 hours later with fine and helmet and collect their bikes.

In countries where they take the matter seriously, the owner's licence number goes into the computer system, and the next fine is a lot more, and further demerits deducted.

Third time and you're out!